Two questions about McDonald's - (real food? burger meat?)

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A lot of dissent, but no actual answers.

I'm sure someone said. McDonalds burgers = beef + salt + pepper
    But but but!!! We need a common enemy to keep the Kingdom of MFP united. And you are now telling me that McDonalds are good guys?

Who can we hate if we can't hate McDonalds?!

Clean eaters!

(In all serious, no hate to clean eaters. Just don't judge people who choose not to eat 'clean' mmm'kay?)

:laugh:
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Because it's a stupid question. Enjoy your heat lamp.

<3 Whataburger.

I thought the assertion that it's not "real food" was more stupider than my follow-up questions...

...but I've also heard it said that there's no such thing as a stupid question...

...and I *know* that's a lie.

Arguments over semantics are the most stupider.
    It's not clever. It's tedious and a gigantic waste of time. I'm all for wasting my time, but my current thing is Candy Crush and Instagram Video.
  • Aliviuum
    Aliviuum Posts: 67
    Options
    I had no problem eating McDonald's food until I actually worked there. Trust me when I say you're better off without it.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    chicken-mcnuggets-ingredients-big.jpg

OMG that looks sooooo good; why haven't I ever seen this on sale when I am in McD's. Damn it!!!!
    Soft serve meat. Does it come in a cone, and do they have the option of getting it dipped in chocolate?

oooooh! Protein in a cone!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    oooooh! Protein in a cone!

I've often thought that would make tolerable meat loaf... It's kinda funny how often this resurfaces even after mcdonalds stopped using pink goo and went to all white meat minced chicken for the nuggets.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    chicken-mcnuggets-ingredients-big.jpg

OMG that looks sooooo good; why haven't I ever seen this on sale when I am in McD's. Damn it!!!!

If I remember right, this is what they make Chicken Nuggets out of, but not sure.

I tell my cat all the time, that McDonald's makes their food out of cats. He does see the humor.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

<3 Whataburger.

I thought the assertion that it's not "real food" was more stupider than my follow-up questions...

...but I've also heard it said that there's no such thing as a stupid question...

It's not clever. It's tedious and a gigantic waste of time. I'm all for wasting my time, but my current thing is Candy Crush and Instagram Video.

I agree...

...so I'm glad I'm not doing that.

I'm more of the "words have meaning" view of this...and when people say that something that provides nutrition and calories isn't "real food", I'm curious how they reached this conclusion. Some references would be awesome, but I'd settle for a rational explanation of their thought process.

I'm also curious why people would claim that a burger patty wasn't beef when everything I've seen seems to indicate that it actually is. So I'd love some clarification on these two points.

Since then, I've added a follow-up question...which would be clarification of the assertion that food from McDonald's is "crap"...

...but given my inability to obtain answers to the original questions, it's doubtful I'll receive an answer to this question either.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I had no problem eating McDonald's food until I actually worked there. Trust me when I say you're better off without it.

I suspect you could replace "McDonald's" with just about any restaurant name and this would be a mostly-true statement for most people...

...but I'll admit, I've never actually worked in a fast food restaurant.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

<3 Whataburger.

I agree...

...so I'm glad I'm not doing that.

I'm more of the "words have meaning" view of this...and when people say that something that provides nutrition and calories isn't "real food", I'm curious how they reached this conclusion. Some references would be awesome, but I'd settle for a rational explanation of their thought process.

I'm also curious why people would claim that a burger patty wasn't beef when everything I've seen seems to indicate that it actually is. So I'd love some clarification on these two points.

Since then, I've added a follow-up question...which would be clarification of the assertion that food from McDonald's is "crap"...

...but given my inability to obtain answers to the original questions, it's doubtful I'll receive an answer to this question either.

Honestly, I do not think anyone knows. We can all google it but who knows what the truth is but I do think they are beef, just not the best quality.

I prefer their fries/
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

I suspect you could replace "McDonald's" with just about any restaurant name and this would be a mostly-true statement for most people...

...but I'll admit, I've never actually worked in a fast food restaurant.

That's entirely true. I worked at a deli for years, and a sandwich shop, and lunchmeat in general is supposed to be good for you. I STILL can't eat it, because you just get heartily sick of preparing it, smelling like it, and then having to clean whatever was used in the preparation.

Also those rotisserie chickens. Can't even stand to smell them anymore, because of all the years I had to stick 'em on spits and then burn myself getting 'em out. Stupid yardbirds..
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Setting up the TiVo.

What? I have a lot to learn on this subject...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

I believe it means people think McDonald's is actually *edit: an *kitten** shaped like a restaurant. I have not personally performed analysis of McDonald's building materials, so I can't verify or deny with certainty that this belief is accurate.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And just so we're all clear, I'm not a big fan of McDonald's food. I just don't get the demonization of it as "non-food".

(I did wake up with a bizarre craving for a burger there last week and acted on that craving...which I think was my first McDonald's food in at least a year. It was...okay...but craving satisfied.)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't even like McD's and this topic has me suddenly craving their fries.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    And just so we're all clear, I'm not a big fan of McDonald's food. I just don't get the demonization of it as "non-food".

(I did wake up with a bizarre craving for a burger there last week and acted on that craving...which I think was my first McDonald's food in at least a year. It was...okay...but craving satisfied.)

^ This. I have to be dragged there by my family, and I am trying very hard to be a "reformed" food snob. I got fat on Smith & Wollensky, not McDonald's, but the effect was exactly the same. Lesson learned.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My son works for a company that jets washes the factory line down every night where they make the burgers for Mac D's they state that its 100% beef or pork, but when I've had some for the BBQ some awful residue comes out, it defo put me off :(
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm, real food!

PremiumMcWrap.JPG?itok=63VSKfP9

Crap, that was big, but it just magnifies the deliciousness, no?
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes it is 100% beef. Let me temper that - Once all the edible meat is removed from the carcass, the remains are sent to a processing plant. The meat is thrown into a large centrifuge which breaks the final bit of meat off. At this stage, because of the levels of e-coli and salmonella, it is classed as animal-grade beef.

They then wash it in ammonia to kill off all the nasties. As This is a "process" rather than an ingredient, the ammonia doesn't have to be declared. However up to 15% of your mcdonalds burger (and any other large chain) contains this sub-par and chemically altered "beef".

I know 15% doesn't sound like a lot, but bbbllllleeeuuuurrggggghhhhhh!!!!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Yes it is 100% beef. Let me temper that - Once all the edible meat is removed from the carcass, the remains are sent to a processing plant. The meat is thrown into a large centrifuge which breaks the final bit of meat off. At this stage, because of the levels of e-coli and salmonella, it is classed as animal-grade beef.

They then wash it in ammonia to kill off all the nasties. As This is a "process" rather than an ingredient, the ammonia doesn't have to be declared. However up to 15% of your mcdonalds burger (and any other large chain) contains this sub-par and chemically altered "beef".

I know 15% doesn't sound like a lot, but bbbllllleeeuuuurrggggghhhhhh!!!!

they don't do this anymore. McDonald's and almost everyone else dropped the use of this product due to public outrage.