Two questions about McDonald's - (real food? burger meat?)

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lot of dissent, but no actual answers.

What is there to answer? They could use grasshopper legs and it would be "real". The questions are more relevant to philosophical discussion than a food and nutrition forum.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In to find out how many are photonic beings who don't eat any chemicals.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

What is there to answer? They could use grasshopper legs and it would be "real". The questions are more relevant to philosophical discussion than a food and nutrition forum.

We're not talking about wizardry here.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    chicken-mcnuggets-ingredients-big.jpg

OMG that looks sooooo good; why haven't I ever seen this on sale when I am in McD's. Damn it!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is not real food, then what is it?

If you believe that their burgers are not made of actual meat, then what is it?

I don't know...I certainly wouldn't say that it's not real food, not sure quit what that means...I'm sure there are starving people everywhere that would give there left nut for a quarter pounder. That said, it never fails that I have to drop a big old deuce about 30 minutes following ingestion of pretty much any fast food...so not sure what that is all about.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the burger meat comes from McDonald himself. That's why it tastes funny.

Buh dum tchssshh.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Would wizards conjuring the burgers make them less real? Presumably they'd incorporate the elements of "actual meat" in a fashion to make said burgers chemically indistinguishable, unless they were poor magicians.
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    it tastes like dehydrated meat packed together. its flakey, and gross.... Everything about the meat on the cheeseburgers/double cheeseburgers ..... ack!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i don't know how people can eat mcdonalds. It smells and tastes like terrible quality chemical enriched food to me. Pretty much the only fast food place I don't like lol

quite easily, stuff in face and enjoy. Bk chits on mcds though

Wendy's rules all....
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    it tastes like dehydrated meat packed together. its flakey, and gross.... Everything about the meat on the cheeseburgers/double cheeseburgers ..... ack!

But I don't think any of that makes it not real food.

I can't stand celery - hate the taste, hate the texture - but I don't call it not real food. It's just a food I don't like.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The thing that makes McDonalds (and most other restaurant chains - fast or otherwise) 'unhealthy' is that it is mostly very calorie dense foods, and people are crap at estimating their required caloric intake. So people eat too much, and get fat.

Calorie dense food isn't bad. Eating too much is bad, and generally speaking if you are eating too much you are probably doing so with calorie dense food. It's hard to eat that much kale.

If kale was 200 calories an ounce and delicious , we'd be debating the evils of kale.

Someone's lack of knowledge and will power is their fault, not McDonald's.
    Also calorie dense =/= unhealthy.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Because it's a stupid question. Enjoy your heat lamp.

<3 Whataburger.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Would wizards conjuring the burgers make them less real? Presumably they'd incorporate the elements of "actual meat" in a fashion to make said burgers chemically indistinguishable, unless they were poor magicians.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrjoN5En4s9DAYtX-55ZRgVXrLIQQLWBH2-GR1hIkxmMhj-HTBea1fLdFD
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    The thing that makes McDonalds (and most other restaurant chains - fast or otherwise) 'unhealthy' is that it is mostly very calorie dense foods, and people are crap at estimating their required caloric intake. So people eat too much, and get fat.

Calorie dense food isn't bad. Eating too much is bad, and generally speaking if you are eating too much you are probably doing so with calorie dense food. It's hard to eat that much kale.

If kale was 200 calories an ounce and delicious , we'd be debating the evils of kale.

Someone's lack of knowledge and will power is their fault, not McDonald's.
    Also calorie dense =/= unhealthy.

I'm not sure if you are mistakenly arguing against me, or just reiterating my point. Perhaps the ' ' around unhealthy weren't enough. I should have added 'appear'. My point is that the 'unhealthy' tag is applied to McDonalds because people are idiots and don't know when to stop eating.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I worked for McDonalds for a year in my teens. The burger at least, is 100% usda ground beef from the US. I have also worked as a butcher on the farm and have made patties you would have a hard time telling apart from McDonalds if cooked on a clam shell grill. The food is terrible for you, but not because its necessarily made from terrible ingredients, but because of the preparation and how calorie dense and salt filled it is. McDonalds as far as fast food goes, is one of the ~better~ ones these days.

Here-- found a page on it.
    http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/see_what_we_are_made_of/your_questions_answered/meats.html

For more information see:
    http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

All said and done, it is what it is, and it isn't nearly as laden in chemicals as many would have you believe... for instance the biscuits in the morning, we made them in store from flour every day just like a bakery... the eggs were not pre-made, we just put them in molds, pancakes were just like you make at home, etc. Not saying it's good for you mind, but it doesn't deserve to be demonized-- it should stand or fall on its own merits not hysterical half-truths. Hell the chicken nuggets are all white meat and not even pink goo like most people think. *shrug*.

Read the nutritional information, make informed choices, don't believe hysteria... if it sounds to good to be true it probably is, if it sounds to bad to be true, eh... 50/50, but do the research and don't believe the hype until you research.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

OMG that looks sooooo good; why haven't I ever seen this on sale when I am in McD's. Damn it!!!!
    Soft serve meat. Does it come in a cone, and do they have the option of getting it dipped in chocolate?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I'm sure someone said. McDonalds burgers = beef + salt + pepper
    But but but!!! We need a common enemy to keep the Kingdom of MFP united. And you are now telling me that McDonalds are good guys?

Who can we hate if we can't hate McDonalds?!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Because it's a stupid question. Enjoy your heat lamp.

<3 Whataburger.

I thought the assertion that it's not "real food" was more stupider than my follow-up questions...

...but I've also heard it said that there's no such thing as a stupid question...

...and I *know* that's a lie.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Strawberry soft serve!

Oh, wait......
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I'm sure someone said. McDonalds burgers = beef + salt + pepper
    But but but!!! We need a common enemy to keep the Kingdom of MFP united. And you are now telling me that McDonalds are good guys?

Who can we hate if we can't hate McDonalds?!

Clean eaters!

(In all seriousness, no hate to clean eaters. Just don't judge people who choose not to eat 'clean' mmm'kay?)