Two questions about McDonald's - (real food? burger meat?)

Options

Replies

• lilyaqha
    lilyaqha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hm..i'm confused. I went to the McDonald's website to get the ingredients in their hamburger patty. It now says 100% beef plus spices. Did that new law that says they don't have to list ingredients that equate to less than a certain percent of the actual food itself. They seem to be circumventing that, because the actual ingredient list I saw for just a burger patty included 15 different things.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hm..i'm confused. I went to the McDonald's website to get the ingredients in their hamburger patty. It now says 100% beef plus spices. Did that new law that says they don't have to list ingredients that equate to less than a certain percent of the actual food itself. They seem to be circumventing that, because the actual ingredient list I saw for just a burger patty included 15 different things.

No idea what ingredient list you're talking about. As far as I know, ground beef has been the sole ingredient in a McDonald's hamburger or quarter pounder patty for as long as I can remember.

The Angus burgers had more ingredients. They added some other stuff to make it taste different and have a different texture. They don't have those anymore though.

There is no law that lets you not list ingredients, no matter how small an amount you add.
  • lilyaqha
    Options
    The beef is irradiated and can still be washed with ammonia. They have e coli issues, because of the sheer volume and how many hands the patty's go through to get to the consumer. They have to be sure there is no bacteria on the meat. They stopped using the pink slime, only because people found out about it.

Who KNOWS what they do to their food. It's not about the food at McDonald's, it's about the money they MAKE on the food.

Also, "beef" means any part of the flesh of a bovine. It can be ANYTHING. Notice they say "100 PURE Beef". Not Prime, Choice, Utility etc. They use the stupidity of the consumer to get around these things.

Oh, and factory farming anyone? Corn fed beef/antibiotics? There's tons of really good reasons to NOT eat at McDonald's, but I would think the fact that they think their consumers are so ignorant would be the main one for me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The beef is irradiated and can still be washed with ammonia. They have e coli issues, because of the sheer volume and how many hands the patty's go through to get to the consumer. They have to be sure there is no bacteria on the meat. They stopped using the pink slime, only because people found out about it.

Who KNOWS what they do to their food. It's not about the food at McDonald's, it's about the money they MAKE on the food.

Also, "beef" means any part of the flesh of a bovine. It can be ANYTHING. Notice they say "100 PURE Beef". Not Prime, Choice, Utility etc. They use the stupidity of the consumer to get around these things.

Oh, and factory farming anyone? Corn fed beef/antibiotics? There's tons of really good reasons to NOT eat at McDonald's, but I would think the fact that they think their consumers are so ignorant would be the main one for me.

What's wrong with washing with ammonia?

Beef means beef. It's muscle tissue, end of story. Organs, lips, skin, hooves, etc are not beef. Not sure what point you're trying to make. The only thing in a McD's patty is cow muscle.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

What's wrong with washing with ammonia?

Beef means beef. It's muscle tissue, end of story. Organs, lips, skin, hooves, etc are not beef. Not sure what point you're trying to make. The only thing in a McD's patty is cow muscle.

"As of late last August, McDonald’s confirmed that it is no longer using pink slime in its burgers. In a statement on its website, Todd Bacon, the senior director of quality systems, wrote:

"At the beginning of 2011, we made a decision to discontinue the use of ammonia-treated beef in our hamburgers. This product has been out of our supply chain since August of last year. This decision was a result of our efforts to align our global standards for how we source beef around the world.""
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The beef is irradiated and can still be washed with ammonia. They have e coli issues, because of the sheer volume and how many hands the patty's go through to get to the consumer. They have to be sure there is no bacteria on the meat.

e-coli from hands?? The hands are more likely to get e-coli from the beef.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Beef is beef.. Just not the best quality of beef. as well as with the chicken etc. All fast food is this way.
  • lilyaqha
    Options
    That's not how e coli is spread. Meat, if it hasn't been contaminated by fecal matter and has been kept at a temp below 37 f, will have very few e coli bacteria and is not likely to cause illness. MOST causes of e coli contamination..comes from workers who DO NOT WASH THEIR HANDS. So, they wipe their bum and pass the nasty onto unsuspecting customers.
  • lilyaqha
    Options
    They stopped using pink slime, ONLY because the public found out about it.

They stopped using the ammonia washed beef, ONLY because the public found out about it.

I can't believe this does not bother people.

Anyway, i'm off to lunch, I think i'm gonna get some Arby's. LOL!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    in for mcdonalds coupons....

anyone have any they can send me?

I do, but I think they're only valid in Bahrain so you may not want them....
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    There is a McRib sandwich in my stomach that my body has been attempting to digest since 2002...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Cow muscle, includes the heart. "Beef" includes everything including the muscle, per the USDA. My reason for posting? Because of ignoramuses like you who don't know.

Beef heart is considered organ meat and cannot be sold as "beef" or included in ground beef.

"Beef" is skeletal muscle only. The heart is cardiac muscle.

So, what were you calling me again?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is not real food, then what is it?

If you believe that their burgers are not made of actual meat, then what is it?

it's... people!

tumblr_m5ucahDKOi1rohz9zo1_500.jpg

Wow, it only took until page 3 to get to this. :laugh:

This was my first thought … watch out when McD rolls out anything GREEN
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    In to find out how many are photonic beings who don't eat any chemicals.

^^^ THIS

Homo erectus ate food that was made of chemicals. So did Homo habilis and australopithecines and all our other evolutionary ancestors.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Is the McFlurry "white slime"? If it is, then where can I buy my own?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Cow muscle, includes the heart. "Beef" includes everything including the muscle, per the USDA. My reason for posting? Because of ignoramuses like you who don't know.

Beef heart is considered organ meat and cannot be sold as "beef" or included in ground beef.

"Beef" is skeletal muscle only. The heart is cardiac muscle.

So, what were you calling me again?

mmmmmmmmm stuffed heart

actually I've never eaten stuffed heart. But it sounds rather nice. Maybe I should stuff it with liver.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    According to the "What's really in a fast food hamburger" section of the 2011 edition of Eat This Not That, McDonald's burgers are made of slaughterhouse trimmings that are traditionally used in pet food. A company "cleans" the meat of E coli and salmonella by "forcing it through pipes and exposing it to ammonia gas". Apparently, they are only required to inform you that it is a "processing agent".
    For anyone interested in reading it, it's on page 18. Do I live by these books? No,but I definitely find them interesting.

(If this has already been said, I didn't read all 6 pages of this post...I just skipped around a little and decided to give my input)...and as soon as I hit edit, I realize someone has already said it. haha
  • jonnythan
    Options
    McDonald's burgers are made of slaughterhouse trimmings that are traditionally used in pet food. A company "cleans" the meat of E coli and salmonella by "forcing it through pipes and exposing it to ammonia gas". Apparently, they are only required to inform you that it is a "processing agent".
    For anyone interested in reading it, it's on page 18. Do I live by these books? No,but I definitely find them interesting.

(If this has already been said, I didn't read all 6 pages of this post...I just skipped around a little and decided to give my input)...and as soon as I hit edit, I realize someone has already said it. haha

You are describing pink slime, which made up a part of the ground beef McD's used to use in their patties. They don't use it anymore.

And on top of that, despite how scary it sounds, it's 100% safe and nutritionally equivalent to the rest of the beef, though perhaps not as tasty. It's just the last bits of meat from off the bone that gets cleaned with ammonia (a totally normal process that is used on a lot of food, even stuff considered "clean").

I strongly suggest you read this article before you think ammonia cleaning is somehow bad, or that pink slime is a health hazard: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/04/us-food-ammonia-idUSBRE8331B420120404
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    At the time David Zinczenko was writing that book, it was true. It hasn't been true for a year and a half.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/31/10282876-mcdonalds-drops-use-of-gooey-ammonia-based-pink-slime-in-hamburger-meat?lite