Not losing weight 6 miles of walking atleast 3 times a week

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't even eat meat. No Big Macs here. My big vice is popcorn. A whole-grain food. I air pop my own and spray it with olive oil.

The horror, because I like a Snickers bar every now and then. And some cookies. I'm still mad at Trader Joe's for no longer making my gluten free ginger snaps. BTW, Trixie, I actually need to avoid gluten since I have celiac disease, I'm not listening to psuedo science about it like you are.

They don't make those anymore? Those were really good.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I don't even eat meat. No Big Macs here. My big vice is popcorn. A whole-grain food. I air pop my own and spray it with olive oil.

The horror, because I like a Snickers bar every now and then. And some cookies. I'm still mad at Trader Joe's for no longer making my gluten free ginger snaps. BTW, Trixie, I actually need to avoid gluten since I have celiac disease, I'm not listening to psuedo science about it like you are.

They don't make those anymore? Those were really good.

I go once a week and keep looking. I haven't seen them in ages. I loved them with a cup of tea. And a serving felt nice, you know? Five cookies was great! They had such a nice gingery bite to them.
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For me CICO is a poor instrument due to:
    - Estimation or measure calorie in
    - Estimation or measure calorie out (your BMR is the majority here)
    - How does your food choice affect your BMR, your hormones, regulation, etc?

Also fat loss and gain is not linear, e.g. if I weigh 100kg, and ate so that I would lose 1kg / week, would I be 20kg in 80 weeks? or vv if I ate so I gained 1 kg / week, would I be 350 kg in 5 years? - probably not...

The questions for me are:
    - Why do we eat more than we need? - What is the cause? e.g. certain food might trigger cravings, or doesn't makes us full...
    - Why are we having cravings?
    - Why isn't our bodies regulating?

i.e. for me the type of food and macros are more important, and I believe this is highly individual

good summary from (https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/):

Bottom Line: Different foods go through different metabolic pathways. Some foods can cause hormone changes that encourage weight gain, while other foods can increase satiety and boost the metabolic rate.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sbz2t2qkkcsw.png. Wow super unhealthy. How can anyone fit 560 calories into your day.

Just in case you didn't see it the first time. What is so absolutely horrible about this that eating it once in a while would put your health at huge risk.

It's not real meat. It's predominantly bleached beef that is unusable (in terms of things like roasts, etc). My DD works in fast food and has taken the time to read labels. She won't touch the stuff bc it is not "real" food. Btw, she's only 18 and can see the difference. I don't dispute CICO, I'm losing weight using it. The disparity is in the question of, is it nutritionally good for one's body? I will argue all day long that the answer to that is no.

As far as food affecting hormones. You bet your behind it does! Live in my world where my once 5yr old developed precocious puberty from the hormones in meat and dairy. It was her doctor who told us to use only non-hormone meat, dairy and avoid soy and we could likely stop it without using hormone drugs at 5yrs old. It took 6 months but we did stop it - using healthy, non-hormone foods. And yes, her doctor at the time was an MD.

So while wording may not be to your specifications, eating whole foods predominantly (because I like my treats as well) over eating horribly processed foods (like a Big Mac) does make a difference in one's health.

Moderation is always the key. In our home, the rule is 90% whole foods so that the 10% processed does not affect our health in a negative manner and allows for things like going out once in awhile or birthday parties, etc. without worrying about it. what we eat can go to either extreme. Neither extreme is good for us. Both put one in a ditch. As a good friend use to tell us, keep it between the ditches. This applies to most things in life. Including what we feed ourselves.

but hormones can also be disrupted by many things other than foods. certain diseases,health issues,medications,etc so you cant blame just food. The OP stated she fixed her hormone imbalances by basically cutting out certain things and eating better,which I dont see how thats possible when what her diary showed did not back up her claims(eating better and avoiding certain foods that cause these issues). as for precocious puberty its usually caused from problems with the ovaries, testicles, adrenal glands or pituitary gland.It can also be caused by tumors,defects in the brain,etc.Do you have proof that hormones in food is what caused your nieces issue? or is that just what your nieces parents believe?dr told you? etc?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    sbz2t2qkkcsw.png. Wow super unhealthy. How can anyone fit 560 calories into your day.

Just in case you didn't see it the first time. What is so absolutely horrible about this that eating it once in a while would put your health at huge risk.

It's not real meat. It's predominantly bleached beef that is unusable (in terms of things like roasts, etc). My DD works in fast food and has taken the time to read labels. She won't touch the stuff bc it is not "real" food. Btw, she's only 18 and can see the difference. I don't dispute CICO, I'm losing weight using it. The disparity is in the question of, is it nutritionally good for one's body? I will argue all day long that the answer to that is no.

As far as food affecting hormones. You bet your behind it does! Live in my world where my once 5yr old developed precocious puberty from the hormones in meat and dairy. It was her doctor who told us to use only non-hormone meat, dairy and avoid soy and we could likely stop it without using hormone drugs at 5yrs old. It took 6 months but we did stop it - using healthy, non-hormone foods. And yes, her doctor at the time was an MD.

So while wording may not be to your specifications, eating whole foods predominantly (because I like my treats as well) over eating horribly processed foods (like a Big Mac) does make a difference in one's health.

Moderation is always the key. In our home, the rule is 90% whole foods so that the 10% processed does not affect our health in a negative manner and allows for things like going out once in awhile or birthday parties, etc. without worrying about it. what we eat can go to either extreme. Neither extreme is good for us. Both put one in a ditch. As a good friend use to tell us, keep it between the ditches. This applies to most things in life. Including what we feed ourselves.

but hormones can also be disrupted by many things other than foods. certain diseases,health issues,medications,etc so you cant blame just food. The OP stated she fixed her hormone imbalances by basically cutting out certain things and eating better,which I dont see how thats possible when what her diary showed did not back up her claims(eating better and avoiding certain foods that cause these issues). as for precocious puberty its usually caused from problems with the ovaries, testicles, adrenal glands or pituitary gland.It can also be caused by tumors,defects in the brain,etc.Do you have proof that hormones in food is what caused your nieces issue? or is that just what your nieces parents believe?dr told you? etc?

First, it was my daughter, not my niece. Second, the ONLY change we made was going hormone and antibiotic free in our food, and removing soy. Precocious puberty can also be caused by hormones that are used to grow animals faster, fatter, and to make them produce more milk. We humans eat the meat and dairy and those hormones are in the food. They don't just magically disappear once they kill an animal or take it's milk. Hormones can also be affected by certain types of plastics, things in skin care products, etc. We are careful of all of these things (but I didn't learn about those until much later; our initial change was only food). She has/had no other hormone issues (tumors, cysts, etc). If she did, I'm pretty sure we'd know it by now at 18yrs old. Not everyone is going to be susceptible to having their body affected by hormones in food. Just like not everyone is susceptible to T2 diabetes, or heart disease, etc. Unfortunately, we often don't know what our susceptibilities are UNTIL something happens to our health (and every human as genetic susceptibilities). So our family chooses to stick to a largely whole foods diet (again, we do our treats too). Just because others want to call alternative anything "woo" does not make alternative medicine or diets untrue or unneeded. But again, it is pointless talking to people about it that don't want to hear or think they have a leg up because of "science." Science often catches up with the alternative world and when people want/need to know what their food can and does do to their bodies, they'll go looking. There's plenty of information in existence to learn from. Our DD was our first experience with anything organic/whole foods/changing from a SAD diet. From there it was family cancer, almost losing our son to illness, etc. We've walked enough roads health wise to see and know that food quality does make a difference in health.

That said, it's still not worth wasting breath arguing on this forum. People are here for weight loss or gain and CICO is the method this forum teaches for that purpose, and it works. How individuals choose to work within CICO is up to them (I'm speaking nutritionally). My issue is when someone throws out options (answering someone's specific question/s) that others find foreign or disagree with, they can't just let it be and let people study for themselves and decide what will work for them. I'm a freedom lover and hard core on informed consent. By it's very nature, informed consent means being exposed to multiple sides of an issue and making a choice. Are there ways that things can be presented so as not to be rude, etc.? Sure. Presentation will always matter. But however someone chooses to present their side, having multiple sides to look at is never a bad thing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im not saying it wasnt caused from food,Im saying it can be caused by other things as well,I just asked how you can be sure it was the foods? even though she has no tumors or other issues how do you know that she didnt have issues with her ovaries? pituitary glands,also the brain can have a defect that can signal the release of hormones as well.could have been that as well. not everything wrong with us can be diagnosed or tested.I also wasnt being rude about it,I was just asking how you had proof that the food caused it? are you saying that once you noticed she was going through puberty you changed her diet and it stopped happening? you also know that for some going through puberty young is also genetic as well. Im not saying that her issues were caused by this or that I was just asking how can you be sure it wasnt something that didnt show up in tests(if they were done)? I had a relative whom started having periods when she was 6 and this was back in the 50s, before they started adding hormones and what not to foods. it happens a lot in my moms side of the family,for them its genetic,
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Authority nutrition is not a good source

awesome reply, so you agree or disagree with the statement?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I disagree. Just because it's hard to accurately measure ci and co doesn't mean that cico doesn't work. CICO occurs automatically. Sure some things take a tiny amount of extra calories to digest but it's pretty insignificant in the realm of things.
    Also weight loss isn't fat loss only. You lose water as well or you retain water which can throw off the scales.

The point of mentioning authority nutrition is that many people cite it when it isn't a good source. If you want to make a case for aomething people generally will take you more seriously if you cite peer reviewed scientific studies.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Girls going through puberty younger has been going on for longer than 20 years.

It's due to better nutrition.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I'm 56 and started puberty long before anyone girlfriend I had. Cows and chickens were not treated with hormones back then. In fact, I was raised on raw milk, you know the kind with the fat on top. I still have the urge to shake the milk container! LOL
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I'm 56 and started puberty long before anyone girlfriend I had. Cows and chickens were not treated with hormones back then. In fact, I was raised on raw milk, you know the kind with the fat on top. I still have the urge to shake the milk container! LOL

I started puberty at the exact same age my daughter did. I'm 33 years older than her. I was 11, and it was 1973. My cousin started at 9 in 1975.
  • queenliz99
    edited October 2016
    Options

I started puberty at the exact same age my daughter did. I'm 33 years older than her. I was 11, and it was 1973. My cousin started at 9 in 1975.

I was10.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    She doesn't even know how many calories she's consuming because she's not actually tracking them.

courtneyfabulous,

Never did I say I do not track my calories. My husband said today that I way underestimated the calories I took in during pregnancy - he does all the cooking, and said I put away at least 3600 calories on very hungry days. So I am going to go with the logic that my body functions best with optimal food intake and see where it takes me.

My MFP diary is open, and indicates that I track and log everything down to black coffee. I am merely pointing out that the weight loss never took off until I ate way more than MFP suggested. For the first time in ten years, I fully anticipate getting back to my pre-twin pregnancy size. I think I simply need to eat enough now to regain the killer metabolism I took for granted in my twenties and early thirties.

If your calories are too low you will lose weight though. Her issue is that she's not losing weight. So her calories are not too low.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

I was10.

Okay........yeah no. Better nutrition is not what has brought earlier puberty. That just doesn't even freaking make sense. But whatever. I don't have time to argue with people that won't accept any source I post anyway. And I actually thought with my last post my comments would be closed and I would be done.

Growth hormones on beef...........

"Almost all beef cattle entering feedlots in the United States are given hormone implants to promote faster growth. The first product used for this purpose ­ DES (diethylstilbestrol) ­ was approved for use in beef cattle in 1954. An estimated two-thirds of the nation's beef cattle were treated with DES in 1956 (Marcus, 1994, cited in Swan et al., 2007).

Today, there are six anabolic steroids given, in various combinations, to nearly all animals entering conventional beef feedlots in the U.S."

Long term effects are rarely felt/seen right away. It takes time for things to build up in a person's body and not everyone is going to be susceptible to the changes. The hormone changes get passed to each successive generation until a tipping point is hit and we start to see effects of them. So no, I wouldn't have expected to see a large group shift until 10-15yrs after they started using them. Which puts it around 1975-1980 when a slow, but progressive, pubertal age got younger and younger. I specifically said genetics for when a girl starts are clearly a factor. I do not believe there is ever a single factor in any health issue/change. Just like I don't think there is ever a single factor for why someone gets a disease. But hormones are most definitely a factor in early puberty - they are not the only factor.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Better nutrition allows the body to function optimally and the natural hormonal systems to function properly.

I understand your biases in this regard, but you're wrong. This makes perfect sense. Nourished children weigh more, and have more body fat.

Weights in general have been rising since the Industrial Revolution, and some of that has been in a good way. Increased lean body mass thanks to better food supply, for example. This has all had an effect.

A factor in any recent rise in even earlier puberty? Rising childhood obesity. Fat effectively (pardon my butchered wording here) functions as an endocrine organ of sorts. It's not inert tissue. It messes with hormones.
  • queenliz99
    Options

I was10.

Okay........yeah no. Better nutrition is not what has brought earlier puberty. That just doesn't even freaking make sense. But whatever. I don't have time to argue with people that won't accept any source I post anyway. And I actually thought with my last post my comments would be closed and I would be done.

Growth hormones on beef...........

"Almost all beef cattle entering feedlots in the United States are given hormone implants to promote faster growth. The first product used for this purpose ­ DES (diethylstilbestrol) ­ was approved for use in beef cattle in 1954. An estimated two-thirds of the nation's beef cattle were treated with DES in 1956 (Marcus, 1994, cited in Swan et al., 2007).

Today, there are six anabolic steroids given, in various combinations, to nearly all animals entering conventional beef feedlots in the U.S."

Long term effects are rarely felt/seen right away. It takes time for things to build up in a person's body and not everyone is going to be susceptible to the changes. The hormone changes get passed to each successive generation until a tipping point is hit and we start to see effects of them. So no, I wouldn't have expected to see a large group shift until 10-15yrs after they started using them. Which puts it around 1975-1980 when a slow, but progressive, pubertal age got younger and younger. I specifically said genetics for when a girl starts are clearly a factor. I do not believe there is ever a single factor in any health issue/change. Just like I don't think there is ever a single factor for why someone gets a disease. But hormones are most definitely a factor in early puberty - they are not the only factor.

Not sure what you mean by "Okay......yeah no." I was and still am healthy.