Not losing weight 6 miles of walking atleast 3 times a week

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Here is the funny thing about the bully herd mentality and string of nasty comments - I couldn't care less about your ill informed opinions or character attacks. After reading the many rants, I wondered if blood sugar swings from all the "occasional" unhealthy treats you guys pass off as moderation were behind the rudeness.

I showed my daughter the string of comments and she laughed, saying "it is clear that mean girls grow into vicious women with jealous streaks." After all, my open food diary shows I indulge in treats regularly, and yet I am losing fat and increasing muscle mass because I know that a Big Mac and soda are not treats.

Please though, carry on with your If It Fits Your Macros logic, and watch where your body lands as it ages. After all, we are what we eat, and for this knowledge I am very grateful.

Trixie,

I'm not seeing any bully herd mentality here, just a bunch of people who are chiming into the conversation, hence "bully mentality" is your perception. In fact, your comments seem nasty to me, but I accept that this could be my perception only. It is what it is, and everybody has a right to their opinion. Oh by the way, you're way off on your comments about jealous streaks. I guarantee you, there is nothing to be jealous of. :)

That said, it's wonderful you have found a way of eating that works for you that does not include Big Macs or soda. I don't eat Big Macs or drink sodas either, but only because I don't like Big Macs (or fast food) and carbonated drinks, including soda, gives me severe heartburn. However, if I liked Big Macs and soda did not give me heartburn, I would have both in moderation.

I eat a well balanced diet, watch my macros, eat within my calorie goals most of the time, am an avid runner and weight lifter, have tons of energy, and I am at a healthy BMI. I am also 55 years old and grateful that I land on my beautiful two feet every single day. It's pure heaven knowing that I can eat the foods I love and still lose weight and maintain, or even gain weight if I want to do a bulk. Food is just food and I have control over it, it has no power over me. Food type is not what weight loss is about.

Finally, on your comment about gaining muscle mass; unless you are an obese newbie to weight loss, and weight lifting/strength training, you will not be gaining muscle mass. It's very difficult for women to gain muscle mass and it requires eating at maintenance or above and doing heavy weight lifting. Keep eating at a calorie deficit and weight lifting and you retain the muscle mass you already have.

I agree with these sentiments

But isn't the fundamental issue that OP wishes to lose weight, isn't doing so and doesn't understand why so has asked for help. And successful people who have lost weight and / or are in maintenance have pointed out the basic errors of inaccurate logging and not achieving a defecit

The rest seems to be rather a reaction to someone's knowledge base being threatened...But then if science and success can't sway your thought processes what will?

I don't eat McDonald's cos I think it tasted like plastic ...but I do like a good quality cheeseburger, generally home made
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No trolling, and for the last time - so please try and comprehend, I have eaten inflammatory foods - but I see them for what they are. Meaning, I log everything to do better with each new day. And the three donuts was meant to be logged as a .30 of one donut - meaning I took a bite from my daughter's donut, and logged it as three instead. Please, come over my diary - after all, I leave it open for a reason - to keep me accountable.
    Why are you logging food? So you remember the next day to eat healthier?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Given I'm a total simpleton and Trixie is a journalism and nutrition major, I'd like it broken down to me exactly what specific off limits junk food contain that is causing hormone disruption and inflammation.

And given she's the one insisting it's a thing the burden is on her to do the explaining. Given wiring and nutrition are their areas of expertise, this should be a fairly simple exercise.

I'd also like it broken down to me why her diet thwarts her bad foods from disrupting her hormones and causing inflammation, but my diet doesn't thwart the same process because I believe in CICO.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    sbz2t2qkkcsw.png. Wow super unhealthy. How can anyone fit 560 calories into your day.

Just in case you didn't see it the first time. What is so absolutely horrible about this that eating it once in a while would put your health at huge risk.

It's not real meat. It's predominantly bleached beef that is unusable (in terms of things like roasts, etc). My DD works in fast food and has taken the time to read labels. She won't touch the stuff bc it is not "real" food. Btw, she's only 18 and can see the difference. I don't dispute CICO, I'm losing weight using it. The disparity is in the question of, is it nutritionally good for one's body? I will argue all day long that the answer to that is no.

As far as food affecting hormones. You bet your behind it does! Live in my world where my once 5yr old developed precocious puberty from the hormones in meat and dairy. It was her doctor who told us to use only non-hormone meat, dairy and avoid soy and we could likely stop it without using hormone drugs at 5yrs old. It took 6 months but we did stop it - using healthy, non-hormone foods. And yes, her doctor at the time was an MD.

So while wording may not be to your specifications, eating whole foods predominantly (because I like my treats as well) over eating horribly processed foods (like a Big Mac) does make a difference in one's health.

Moderation is always the key. In our home, the rule is 90% whole foods so that the 10% processed does not affect our health in a negative manner and allows for things like going out once in awhile or birthday parties, etc. without worrying about it. what we eat can go to either extreme. Neither extreme is good for us. Both put one in a ditch. As a good friend use to tell us, keep it between the ditches. This applies to most things in life. Including what we feed ourselves.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    sbz2t2qkkcsw.png. Wow super unhealthy. How can anyone fit 560 calories into your day.

Just in case you didn't see it the first time. What is so absolutely horrible about this that eating it once in a while would put your health at huge risk.

It's not real meat. It's predominantly bleached beef that is unusable (in terms of things like roasts, etc). My DD works in fast food and has taken the time to read labels. She won't touch the stuff bc it is not "real" food. Btw, she's only 18 and can see the difference. I don't dispute CICO, I'm losing weight using it. The disparity is in the question of, is it nutritionally good for one's body? I will argue all day long that the answer to that is no.

As far as food affecting hormones. You bet your behind it does! Live in my world where my once 5yr old developed precocious puberty from the hormones in meat and dairy. It was her doctor who told us to use only non-hormone meat, dairy and avoid soy and we could likely stop it without using hormone drugs at 5yrs old. It took 6 months but we did stop it - using healthy, non-hormone foods. And yes, her doctor at the time was an MD.

So while wording may not be to your specifications, eating whole foods predominantly (because I like my treats as well) over eating horribly processed foods (like a Big Mac) does make a difference in one's health.

Moderation is always the key. In our home, the rule is 90% whole foods so that the 10% processed does not affect our health in a negative manner and allows for things like going out once in awhile or birthday parties, etc. without worrying about it. what we eat can go to either extreme. Neither extreme is good for us. Both put one in a ditch. As a good friend use to tell us, keep it between the ditches. This applies to most things in life. Including what we feed ourselves.

We have been saying moderation this while thread. Nothing wrong with it once in a while. It's the other poster on her high horse saying we should never eat fast food and soda who has a diary that includes fast food that we are commenting about. It's the holier than thou attitude we are talking about but I guessed you missed all our comments about moderation and zeroed in on this comment.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    And for clarity, Trixie is the one banging on about Big Macs and sodas but it transpires that most of us she thinks are terrible people advocating a diet full of those things rarely to never consume them! I have McDs maybe 2-3 times a year, never a Big Mac and usually sugar free soda or more commonly I just ask for water with my meal.

So there's the issue, an insistence build on false assertions that we're destroying our bodies when most of us eat a pretty well rounded diet very similar to Trixies who happens to eat quite a lot of sugar filled treats. But somehow the sugar in those is different to the sugar in soda. Or demonising those foods somehow makes her superior to those of us who just view food as food and a way to meet nutritional needs and some psychological needs.

I haven't had a big mac in years same with regular soda btw.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

I have diet soda about 1-2 times a week. As far as Big Macs.. I don't buy them from McDonald's but I do tend to make them myself every once in a while for family dinners with the grand kids. We use 85-90% lean pure Angus Beef, multi-grain buns, our own special sauce, real cheese, and bread and butter pickles we make ourselves every spring. They are outstanding, low fat, low sugar, and fit in my macros easily.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

I have diet soda about 1-2 times a week. As far as Big Macs.. I don't buy them from McDonald's but I do tend to make them myself every once in a while for family dinners with the grand kids. We use 85-90% lean pure Angus Beef, multi-grain buns, our own special sauce, real cheese, and bread and butter pickles we make ourselves every spring. They are outstanding, low fat, low sugar, and fit in my macros easily.

Minus the soda, this is what we do. If we want something like that we just make it from scratch at home. I am very picky about organic and hormone free but the point is there are easy ways to make what we want at home using whole foods that I would argue is healthier. I'm not sure too many people would argue made from home is both better nutritionally and caloric wise. But we also don't do any fast food ever. Our life experience and reading/studying brought us to that conclusion but a person will not convince others of that unless/until a person has a need/desire to know the difference. That was true for us and has been for most of my altie friends. For the people I know it's usually illness that leads them in an organic, whole foods direction.

And no, I haven't read the entire thread. About half. Hard to read and type on the treadmill. Lol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't even eat meat. No Big Macs here. My big vice is popcorn. A whole-grain food. I air pop my own and spray it with olive oil.

The horror, because I like a Snickers bar every now and then. And some cookies. I'm still mad at Trader Joe's for no longer making my gluten free ginger snaps. BTW, Trixie, I actually need to avoid gluten since I have celiac disease, I'm not listening to psuedo science about it like you are.