Not losing weight 6 miles of walking atleast 3 times a week

Options
12345679»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im not saying it wasnt caused from food,Im saying it can be caused by other things as well,I just asked how you can be sure it was the foods? even though she has no tumors or other issues how do you know that she didnt have issues with her ovaries? pituitary glands,also the brain can have a defect that can signal the release of hormones as well.could have been that as well. not everything wrong with us can be diagnosed or tested.I also wasnt being rude about it,I was just asking how you had proof that the food caused it? are you saying that once you noticed she was going through puberty you changed her diet and it stopped happening? you also know that for some going through puberty young is also genetic as well. Im not saying that her issues were caused by this or that I was just asking how can you be sure it wasnt something that didnt show up in tests(if they were done)? I had a relative whom started having periods when she was 6 and this was back in the 50s, before they started adding hormones and what not to foods. it happens a lot in my moms side of the family,for them its genetic,

1. I understood your question. I was trying to answer it with what we knew. Short of an autopsy, the conclusion was made based on available evidence at the time. The same way all medicine is practiced today. There are a lot of things they can't test for but based on process of elimination, testing for what they can, etc. a determination is made to the best of the doctor's ability to figure out what's wrong. This includes ovary ultrasounds, blood work, etc. that can be done to get a rudimentary look at things.

2. I wasn't suggesting you were being rude. I read what you wrote the same way I read anything else on this board. If someone disagrees with a person they typically come across as very snarky. In this case, I just took it as one more person that can't accept what someone says because they don't agree with it. The rude part I was actually addressing a poster I did think was rude without trying to point the person out (subtle hints). Sorry if it came across I was referring to you.

3. The "proof" we had it was food caused was in the change when we removed the things the doctor suggested and within 6 months she lost all pubic hair and showed no other signs of puberty until what would be considered a normal age for our family (age 12/13). Had any tests shown something abnormal we would have looked at those first, but they didn't. Had removing foods with hormones in them not worked, we would have continued looking for a cause, because in our family that isn't normal, and people don't have things like that happen for "no reason." But that is a difference between most MD's and most alternative practitioners. Most MD's won't go after the root cause. In our case, we've had two great MD's over the years that were more willing to look at underlying causes for things we were dealing with. That is rare for an MD! Yes, I know genetics plays a huge role in when someone goes through puberty.

Anecdotally, I can look at the last 20yrs and see how much younger girls have gotten when they go through puberty and it's only been in the last 20yrs that we've seen greater amounts of hormones used in the food supply, as well as other products that cause endocrine disruption, and there does appear to be a correlation. That didn't matter in our case in terms of diagnosis and I wouldn't argue dogmatically about that with someone. However, there's enough evidence of earlier puberty and other issues (which I won't even go into here) that give me enough pause that I want to be careful with MY family. It may not matter to the guy next to me and that's fine if that works for them. As a parent, if I find out my child may have a susceptibility to a health issue that I could potentially keep from happening by how I care for them, then I'm going to do all I can to affect that. Will it always work? Of course not. Then again, medicine doesn't always work either. It's a choice each person/family makes. But if someone asks me, I'm going to share what I have learned because I assume they wouldn't be asking if they weren't looking for answers/options.

4. In YOUR family, there was a genetic history of early hormone changes. Not so in my family. Had that been a factor it is certainly something that would have been considered. When my son got sick, we didn't just take the oncologists diagnosis. We MADE them check for leukemia because both leukemia and lymphoma run heavily on my husband's side. We knew there was a genetic risk there. Hormonally, that did not apply to my daughter.

The biggest issue I see is that there is nothing in life that works the same for all people. It's like people here assume that when someone makes a suggestion they are saying that it will work for everyone. And maybe some people do think that way when they are giving advice. But the reality is, what works for me (or my family) may or may not work for the person next to me. But that should not preclude making the suggestion to give that person something else to consider. When we have health issues, we look at ALL the options for treating something (including medical) and make our decision on what we'll do after many hours of reading, asking questions, seeking out advice, etc. I appreciate having all options/ideas laid on the table for me to look at. Perhaps my error is in thinking that most people are intelligent enough to figure out for themselves that it's wise to check out what people suggest to decide if it's best for them. I prefer to assume people are smarter then the average door knob. I realize there are those that follow blindly, but they do so at their own peril and I'm not responsible for them. But on this board, whoa to the person that suggests anything outside of what the larger crowd agrees with. That's okay. One just learns when to respond and when not to. Not worth wasting time arguing. Life is too short and I'm too busy. :smile:

ok thats why I asked if things changed once you cut out certain foods. but I agree that what works for you doesnt work for others.yeah cancer runs in my family too so if my child has health issues I would make them look for the reason why they were having the issues. but yeah some people cant think for themselves.when I started having issues losing weight people told me Im not weighing food accurately(I am), or that Im overestimating calories or something as simple as that. I just found out that my health issue is also a metabolic disorder so CICO may be easy for everyone else and should work that way for most. for me it doesnt.I was just generally curious as to your daughters issue which is why I asked questions.yeah when it comes to my family there are all kinds of health issues lol some are genetic and some are not.Im like you I do a lot of research,asking questions and so on. its the only way to go if something is going on,especially with kids and getting no answers.I hope your daughter is having no ill effects from what she went through, and I hope your son is better,(in remission? (I dont know his situation but hope all is well).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It is more common for girls to start their period in primary school e.g. Under age 11 than in secondary school in the UK

It is due to various factors the most widely believed being better nutrition

I was 12
    My daughter was 11
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Trixiegirl66 If you're still reading, can I offer you some support?

You can be relieved. You don't have to feel guilty that you're eating "bad food" occasionally!

Food isn't bad just because it's fast or convenient.

Food isn't bad because it makes you feel nice.

Don't let food guilt ruin your life.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10305332/when-food-guilt-is-ruining-your-life/p1

You're not eating badly. You're doing well. Best wishes.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @Trixiegirl66 If you're still reading, can I offer you some support?

You can be relieved. You don't have to feel guilty that you're eating "bad food" occasionally!

Food isn't bad just because it's fast or convenient.

Food isn't bad because it makes you feel nice.

Don't let food guilt ruin your life.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10305332/when-food-guilt-is-ruining-your-life/p1

You're not eating badly. You're doing well. Best wishes.

Trixiegirl66's profile doesn't exist anymore. If they are still here they created a new account.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi there just to share my own personal experience and not to repeat what's already been said 3 trillion times
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well walking is great exercise and great for your mental health too. You are gaining muscle, probably starting to re-shape even if the scale isn't moving. Add the strategies above (logging food), and keep walking and you'll get there!
  • mrsghosh
    mrsghosh Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Am the OP- I have started tracking all goes inside and starting to feel better. Trying to stay under calories and not trying to eat back all the calories burned. And am starting to see results which in case is weight loss. Workout wise running in treadmill in intervals or ellipticals or circuit training..thank u all who helped with suggestions..also amazed how the thread got deviated from the original topic.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mrsghosh wrote: »
    Am the OP- I have started tracking all goes inside and starting to feel better. Trying to stay under calories and not trying to eat back all the calories burned. And am starting to see results which in case is weight loss. Workout wise running in treadmill in intervals or ellipticals or circuit training..thank u all who helped with suggestions..also amazed how the thread got deviated from the original topic.

Welcome to MFP, now go some butt!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    but yeah some people cant think for themselves.when I started having issues losing weight people told me Im not weighing food accurately(I am), or that Im overestimating calories or something as simple as that. I just found out that my health issue is also a metabolic disorder so CICO may be easy for everyone else and should work that way for most. for me it doesnt.

Hi @CharlieBeansmomTracey and forgive me for "singling you out" as the above sentiment is certainly expressed regularly by many other people.

But I just read it, it was convenient to quote, and it confuses the heck out of me especially since I've know you frequent these MFP boards quite often!

Specifically I am referring to the fact that because you have a metabolic disorder you believe that CICO doesn't work for you.

The meaning of words have a purpose: communication. And CICO just means Calories In vs Calories Out.

Specifically it is used as MFP shorthand to denote that you will gain or lose weight when there is a persistent energy imbalance between your Calories In vs your Calories Out such that it is sufficient to overwhelm whatever ability your body has to maintain homeostasis. By definition at CI=CO no weight change takes place.

CI are estimated based on average values and your logging. CO estimates are based on equations derived by analyzing a whole bunch of people and drawing a "best fit" line through clouds of numbers.

Almost by definition BOTH will be off for you as an individual... somewhat. But USUALLY and for MOST people they are close enough for government work as they say.

Now. If you have a metabolic disorder you are more likely to be an outlier and for your personal CP value to not match your predicted value that is based on age, weight, height, and a "standard" metabolism similar to that of the majority of people tested.

So, and based on what you say, you are an outlier because of your condition, and your CO value is different and (usually and I assume so in your case) lower than predicted.

What I don't understand is why you feel this invalidates the concept of CICO?

All it means is that for you, your particular CI = CO balancing point occurs at a lower level than what the various apps predicted.

But the concept of CICO did not change. There was still a CI=CO point which you had to discover.

Now can a combination of activities, foods, medication, possibly act together to change the level of CO for you and even possibly CI (if a certain combination of foods makes you feel less hungry)? Of course it can.

But again the concept of CICO has not changed.

ok I never said CICO doesnt work for me,I just said its not easy for me(maybe its how I worded it?). it has in the past. now though Im trying to find the calorie level where I will start losing again. I havent lost anything since july(I was 163 and gained 7lbs) I log everything and weigh all solids and semi solids on a scale and make sure the entries are correct. I was losing at 1700+ then I started gaining weight(yes,I recalculate for every 10lbs lost),then I dropped it down to 1650(less than what MFP gives me for my activity level-I was given 1800+), 45 days went by and I lost nothing, so I dropped it down to 1600 a few weeks ago. so far not even an ounce.

I also dont eat back all of my exercise calories(I have a fitbit charge hr too). I am burning more calories than I was in the past as well,Im more active,getting more steps in and still not losing. I also have been tested for thyroid disorder and other issues and my blood work came back normal. so there is no reason why I should not be losing, but I find it odd that Im eating less and moving more,compared to before and less calories and nothing is happening, I even took a diet break for a month in august(I ate in what I thought was maintenance-still weighed and logged everything) and thats where the weight gain began. I am still overweight though and having issues trying to lose again.

I used to have a lot of days I would go over a little but I have less of those days now,I have been here 2 years and have figured out how to log and weigh accurately,but cant figure out what or where Im going wrong.so for the last few months,I should have lost at least something. I havent. I even went into my net calories and calculated everything for a month and by what Im supposedly burning,the deficit and so on I should have lost like 5 lbs. I havent even lost 1/2 a lb and thats what I have my goals set at.most days I burn(including my BMR according to fitbit 2300 on steps only day,up to 3000 on a highly active day.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    mrsghosh wrote: »

Welcome to MFP, now go some butt!!

I'm known as the typo queen!! Lol. Kick some butt!