Finding it hard to reach calorie goal?

Options
The app worked out I should be eating around 1200 a day. I'm finding it hard to eat that much, I'm only reaching around 900 a day?
Is that okay? I'm feeling full which is the only reason I don't eat more.
Advice ? Tips?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you accurately weighing your food and using correct entries? If so, then try calorie dense foods like peanut butter and cheese as they are higher calorie for less volume to meet the goal.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How overweight are you?
    Height
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you aren't accurately measuring/weighing/tracking if you are full on what you think is 900 calories. Do you use a digital scale? Do you pick the correct database entries?
    Yeah I weigh or measure the food, and in times I'm unsure I always choose the higher calorie option to be on the safe side.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What's a normal day of eating like for you?
  • edena001
    Options

Rarely have / have much for breakfast (I know it's bad) if I do then usually Mellon or oatmeal

Lunch usually a sandwich, ham no butter and ketchup. If not then beans on toast. Either of them only comes up to like 300 calories. Always brown bread

Then for dinner usually chicken, spinach, mushrooms, carrots or sweet potato. Usually variations of that.

I don't know what else I can add without forcing myself to eat huge amounts.
    I usually eat extremely slowly if that factors into anything?
  • edena001
    Options
    You can easily add butter or cheese or other condiments or all three to tour sandwich
    Not a fan of the options. Is it better just to eat for the sake of it even if I don't enjoy the extra food I'm adding or just stick to what I'm doing as it's filling me up ?

• edena001
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You still need to fuel your body. Eating as low as you currently are, over time, can lead to muscle loss as well as a host of health issues (hair loss, brittle nails, irregular or stopped menstrual cycle, fatigue, all the way up to organ malfunctions).
    Yeah I understand that, any advice to give?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »

Rarely have / have much for breakfast (I know it's bad) if I do then usually Mellon or oatmeal

Nothing wrong with skipping breakfast if you're just not hungry that early in the day. The old saying, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" has been shown to be unsubstantiated. :)

I rarely eat breakfast (other than my coffee and vitamins) because it seems silly to eat when I'm not in the slightest bit hungry. I'd rather save my calories for when I am.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You can easily add butter or cheese or other condiments or all three to tour sandwich
    Not a fan of the options. Is it better just to eat for the sake of it even if I don't enjoy the extra food I'm adding or just stick to what I'm doing as it's filling me up ?

It depends if you want to suffer malnutrition and the possible symptoms of that (hair loss, loss of period, etc). If you don't mind those sure go ahead undereating but I'm guessing you want to be heathy so you have to get the extra nutrition in.
    There aren't any condiments that you enjoy? What about fats? Nothing wrong with them.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

It is very important to reach your calorie goals.. If you have to eat something calorie dense to reach your goals, please consider this as an option.. Not reaching your calories each day only compounds your weight loss and moreover to your health.

In the link I have provided has a list of calorie dense foods that can help you reach your calorie goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You still need to fuel your body. Eating as low as you currently are, over time, can lead to muscle loss as well as a host of health issues (hair loss, brittle nails, irregular or stopped menstrual cycle, fatigue, all the way up to organ malfunctions).
    Yeah I understand that, any advice to give?

Not much more than others have given. You can find a more comprehensive list of foods to add in here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • edena001
    Options

Nothing wrong with skipping breakfast if you're just not hungry that early in the day. The old saying, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" has been shown to be unsubstantiated. :)

I rarely eat breakfast (other than my coffee and vitamins) because it seems silly to eat when I'm not in the slightest bit hungry. I'd rather save my calories for when I am.

Ah I never knew that thank you! Always see conflicting things about breakfast, and always feel guilty for not eating it!

But this is my main confusion, if I'm not hungry why should I be shoving calories down my throat?
    ( That led to my weight gain in the first place, eating cause I think I should, or eating for the sake of it?)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: Do you like peanut butter? A few tablespoons with some toast or crackers as a snack will bring your calories up.
  • edena001
    Options
    OP: Do you like peanut butter? A few tablespoons with some toast or crackers as a snack will bring your calories up.
    Hate peanut butter so much haha! Which is a shame as that's always the suggestion people go for (thanks) any others?:)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Ah I never knew that thank you! Always see conflicting things about breakfast, and always feel guilty for not eating it!

But this is my main confusion, if I'm not hungry why should I be shoving calories down my throat?
    ( That led to my weight gain in the first place, eating cause I think I should, or eating for the sake of it?)

Well you are not going to gain fat eating 1200 calories. You can easily add stuff to your lunch. Bread and ham isn't much at all.

What ia your height/weight and how much are you trying to lose?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hate peanut butter so much haha! Which is a shame as that's always the suggestion people go for (thanks) any others?:)

Well I hope there is something in the calorie dense food list you might like.. heck most everyone likes pretzels...surely you like pretzels or something comparable.