Finding it hard to reach calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    edena001 wrote: »
    OP: Do you like peanut butter? A few tablespoons with some toast or crackers as a snack will bring your calories up.
    Hate peanut butter so much haha! Which is a shame as that's always the suggestion people go for (thanks) any others?:)

Well I hope there is something in the calorie dense food list you might like.. heck everyone likes pretzels.surely you like pretzels.
    I like pretzels! (Although if you're American we don't have quite the same common pretzels as you! (Thanks)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    add back in some of the foods you like and cut out.
  • edena001
    Options
    What's a normal day of eating like for you?

Rarely have / have much for breakfast (I know it's bad) if I do then usually Mellon or oatmeal

Nothing wrong with skipping breakfast if you're just not hungry that early in the day. The old saying, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" has been shown to be unsubstantiated. :)

I rarely eat breakfast (other than my coffee and vitamins) because it seems silly to eat when I'm not in the slightest bit hungry. I'd rather save my calories for when I am.

Ah I never knew that thank you! Always see conflicting things about breakfast, and always feel guilty for not eating it!

But this is my main confusion, if I'm not hungry why should I be shoving calories down my throat?
    ( That led to my weight gain in the first place, eating cause I think I should, or eating for the sake of it?)

Well you are not going to gain fat eating 1200 calories. You can easily add stuff to your lunch. Bread and ham isn't much at all.

What ia your height/weight and how much are you trying to lose?

5ft 6, 12st 10 (I put on about 3 st in a very quick period) so trying to lose 3 st
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: Do you like peanut butter? A few tablespoons with some toast or crackers as a snack will bring your calories up.
    Hate peanut butter so much haha! Which is a shame as that's always the suggestion people go for (thanks) any others?:)

What about ice cream?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You don't like peanut butter but do you like nuts? Um Greek yogurt?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Most people are here to lose weight. If you are wanting to lose weight, you must have been eating over 1200 calories. Can you go back to a couple of your former eating habits to help you get adequate nutrition?
  • edena001
    Options

Yeah Greek yogurt is something I tend to have, but again they're all very filling so shall I just force myself to eat more when I'm already full?
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Yeah Greek yogurt is something I tend to have, but again they're all very filling so shall I just force myself to eat more when I'm already full?

You're full all day and night? If you are too full at meals you can eat it as a snack a few hours after your meal.
  • edena001
    Options

You're full all day and night? If you are too full at meals you can eat it as a snack a few hours after your meal.

Yes essentially - I eat when I get hungry. I ate at around 6 tonight, it's now 00:30 am and I'm still not hungry.
  • edena001
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    hahaha we could play this game all day

do you like this?
    no

What about this?
    no

Okay yeah I'm a fussy eater
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Yes essentially - I eat when I get hungry. I ate at around 6 tonight, it's now 00:30 am and I'm still not hungry.

When are you going to bed?
  • edena001
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    These "can't eat all my calories" posts have always confused me. If you are finding it hard to eat 1200 calories, then how did you get a weight problem?

Just to fill you in
    - no exercise
    - Wrong type of foods
    - Changed unhealthy filling foods for healthy filling foods that are way below half calories.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    hahaha we could play this game all day

do you like this?
    no

What about this?
    no

Okay yeah I'm a fussy eater

How did you eat when you gained enough weight to need to lose? What was a typical day of eating for you before MFP?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What's a normal day of eating like for you?

Rarely have / have much for breakfast (I know it's bad) if I do then usually Mellon or oatmeal

Lunch usually a sandwich, ham no butter and ketchup. If not then beans on toast. Either of them only comes up to like 300 calories. Always brown bread

Then for dinner usually chicken, spinach, mushrooms, carrots or sweet potato. Usually variations of that.

I don't know what else I can add without forcing myself to eat huge amounts.
    I usually eat extremely slowly if that factors into anything?

You don't necessarily need to eat breakfast but it's a good idea usually. But you can skip it and have a snack at mid morning or make lunch your first meal... I still don't see how this can be enough, i would be very very hungry, but then I'm one of those eat every 2-3 hours type of people. I never eat huge amounts but my meals and snacks are between 250 to 350 calories but I just eat more often than you do- 5 to 6 times a day. Are you at least getting enough protein daily? If not you could add in a protein shake- those are easy to drink. You could have one with breakfast or in the afternoon between lunch and dinner.
  • edena001
    Options

When are you going to bed?

I usually go to bed before 12am (not tonight my sleeping schedule is a bit out this week) and then I'm waking up about 8am 9am
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    These "can't eat all my calories" posts have always confused me. If you are finding it hard to eat 1200 calories, then how did you get a weight problem?

Just to fill you in
    - no exercise
    - Wrong type of foods
    - Changed unhealthy filling foods for healthy filling foods that are way below half calories.

2 pieces of bread and ham fill you for 6 hours?