Finding it hard to reach calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm not mad at you at all. It's just frustrating giving advice which is ignored. We told you why it's unhealthy at the beginning of the thread and you are still asking if it is unhealthy after we already explained it. You have been making tons of excuses. Be like nike and just do it.

Your first response to me asking if it was healthy was just some sarcastic rude comment? When you could have just said no. I have been taking into account your suggestions, never have I said I didn't. I've mentioned I don't like some as nothing would come of me saying 'thanks bye' and being in the same position as before as I can't have or don't like the suggestions. I wanted advice, I didn't know I was limited to being only accept the first post of advice before people got annoyed with me?
  • edena001
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »
    I'm not mad at you at all. It's just frustrating giving advice which is ignored. We told you why it's unhealthy at the beginning of the thread and you are still asking if it is unhealthy after we already explained it. You have been making tons of excuses. Be like nike and just do it.

Your first response to me asking if it was healthy was just some sarcastic rude comment? When you could have just said no. I have been taking into account your suggestions, never have I said I didn't. I've mentioned I don't like some as nothing would come of me saying 'thanks bye' and being in the same position as before as I can't have or don't like the suggestions. I wanted advice, I didn't know I was limited to being only accept the first post of advice before people got annoyed with me?

If I liked butter in my sandwiches I would gladly put it in, same for cheese. I get the suggestions. I've listened to them.
    This all could have been done without the rudeness of people just assuming I'm telling lies ?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    And you shouldn't be doing strenuous exercise if you are only eating 900 as you will drive your calorie level way too low.

Generally do only 300-500 Cals at the gym then Strength, is that too strenuous ?

OP really whats going on?

You can exercise and perform strength training enough to burn 300-500 calories, what are you doing in strength training that burns that much..

ANd then you eat so little, not hungry, picky eater, etc etc.. something does not add up with all of this.. I promise I am not trying to be snarky, but the truth be told, something does not add up..

I don't count burning calories from strength training as in my mind there's no real way to calculate it? So nothing in strength training it's all in the cardio.
    I'm not sure what doesn't add up? As I explained before this I ate junk food constantly and fizzy drinks. I went off that over the summer and now starting a healthier eating I don't wanna just shove down a chocolate bar or brioche as that makes me feel demotivated because it's too much it's lazy food that makes me feel like I want to be lazy?

Okay, so you're highly motivated right now.

You're young.

You're going overboard and you need to stop and do this sensibly and stop acting like you know everything and take some advice.

Put some cheese on your damned sandwich and some olive oil on your dinner vegetables.

You're not full for six hours on a plain ham sandwich. You're just zealous about your new life. It will pass.

You're also not burning what the cardio machines at the gym say. And you need to eat back about half of what they say anyway.

That's me, giving you the last ounce of my patience for teenagers today.

One last stab and I am with you.. do you have any popcorn??

Always have popcorn. It's my favorite "lazy" food.

Make your own or do you buy? I need a lower sodium popcorn and I don't have a microwave.

Buy an air popper that will make variable servings. I love mine to bits. I use it every day. I have popcorn every night, it's what helps me stick to my goals during the day. Most nights I do up a bowl of kettle corn. My latest kick is doing it up with pumpkin pie spice.

Awesome!!! Getting one tomorrow!

Protip: A quick mist with cooking spray helps stuff stick. I log about a teaspoon of oil for a huge bowl of popcorn, you might use less than that for a smaller bowl. Most people would eat less popcorn than I tend to. I save a lot of calories for how much I like to eat.

Since OP is having trouble eating even a minimally adequate amount of calories, and from her description of what's she's eating on a daily basis, she probably isn't getting anything close to an adequate amount of fat, she should probably add butter or oil to the finished popcorn and top it with powdered cheese (if she likes cheese on her popcorn).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, eat more. Food is fuel for your body, it needs it to function properly. If you are really eating as little as you say you are, it is not healthy. The body is resilient so you might feel okay to start, but damage is being done and you will feel it eventually.

If you want specific suggestions on how to tweak your diet, open your diary. Someone posted a link of calorie dense foods earlier which should be all you need anyway. Don't swing from being unhealthy due to eating too much right to being unhealthy due to eating to little.
  • edena001
    Options
    And you shouldn't be doing strenuous exercise if you are only eating 900 as you will drive your calorie level way too low.

Generally do only 300-500 Cals at the gym then Strength, is that too strenuous ?

You can exercise and perform strength training enough to burn 300-500 calories, what are you doing in strength training that burns that much..

ANd then you eat so little, not hungry, picky eater, etc etc.. something does not add up with all of this.. I promise I am not trying to be snarky, but the truth be told, something does not add up..

I don't count burning calories from strength training as in my mind there's no real way to calculate it? So nothing in strength training it's all in the cardio.
    I'm not sure what doesn't add up? As I explained before this I ate junk food constantly and fizzy drinks. I went off that over the summer and now starting a healthier eating I don't wanna just shove down a chocolate bar or brioche as that makes me feel demotivated because it's too much it's lazy food that makes me feel like I want to be lazy?

You're young.

You're going overboard and you need to stop and do this sensibly and stop acting like you know everything and take some advice.

Put some cheese on your damned sandwich and some olive oil on your dinner vegetables.

You're not full for six hours on a plain ham sandwich. You're just zealous about your new life. It will pass.

You're also not burning what the cardio machines at the gym say. And you need to eat back about half of what they say anyway.

One last stab and I am with you.. do you have any popcorn??

Always have popcorn. It's my favorite "lazy" food.

Make your own or do you buy? I need a lower sodium popcorn and I don't have a microwave.

Buy an air popper that will make variable servings. I love mine to bits. I use it every day. I have popcorn every night, it's what helps me stick to my goals during the day. Most nights I do up a bowl of kettle corn. My latest kick is doing it up with pumpkin pie spice.

Awesome!!! Getting one tomorrow!

Protip: A quick mist with cooking spray helps stuff stick. I log about a teaspoon of oil for a huge bowl of popcorn, you might use less than that for a smaller bowl. Most people would eat less popcorn than I tend to. I save a lot of calories for how much I like to eat.

Since OP is having trouble eating even a minimally adequate amount of calories, and from her description of what's she's eating on a daily basis, she probably isn't getting anything close to an adequate amount of fat, she should probably add butter or oil to the finished popcorn and top it with powdered cheese (if she likes cheese on her popcorn).

Cheesy popcorn?? This must be an American thing
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

If I liked butter in my sandwiches I would gladly put it in, same for cheese. I get the suggestions. I've listened to them.
    This all could have been done without the rudeness of people just assuming I'm telling lies ?

OK. Add avocado to your sandwich (or on the side). Have some full fat cottage cheese on the side. Have a glass of whole milk with your sandwich.
    Add some oil (I like olive oil) or butter to your veggies at dinner. Have a glass of whole milk with your sandwich.
  • laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not from the USA, pops corn are made in many many variations, from sweet version like caramel, chocolate eccetera, to savory butter, chilly, cheese.......experiment some.....
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses
    Breakfast cereal
    Heavy cream (in coffee or as a milk replacement in recipes)
    Eating skin on poultry is also a good idea (maybe covered under "less lean cuts of meat"). And speaking of skin... pork rinds or cracklings
    figs, dates, feta, olives
    whole wheat toast with peanut butter, sliced bananas, and maybe some chocolate or honey drizzled over it
    baked sweet potato with black beans, cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole etc.
    pita bread drizzled with olive oil and hummus on the side for dipping
    unsalted popcorn drizzled with dark chocolate peanut butter
    tortillas rolled up with lunch meat, cream cheese, regular cheese, or your favorite toppings
    Greek yogurt (go for the higher cal. versions) with chocolate chips, granola, nuts, fruit, and maybe some whipped cream on top
    milkshakes
    bagel with cream cheese and lox, or peanut butter and fruit, or an egg and bacon, or whatever your favorite toppings are
    pancakes or waffles (replace the syrup with Greek yogurt, honey, or fruit if you're worried about it)
    chicken salad or egg salad sandwiches
    baked brie with brown sugar, brandy, and walnuts spread on bread or crackers
    A good, crusty bread dipped in olive oil, garlic, and italian spices
    dates stuffed with goat cheese or chorizo, wrapped in bacon, and brushed with maple syrup
    your favorite cereal with half and half or cream instead of milk (this is amazingly addictive)
    banana or pumpkin bread
    Meatballs with high fat ground meat and cranberry sauce
    buffalo chicken dip with crackers
    risotto
    deviled eggs
    sausage jalapeno poppers
    stuffed mushrooms
    hummus pizza (your favorite pizza but replace the tomato sauce with hummus; so good!)
    Nutella and bananas with bread
    Scrambled eggs with sour cream or cheddar
    Greek salad -- tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, cheese
    Yogurt with honey and almonds or raisins
    Cut up veggies with full fat Ranch salad dressing
    Pasta with butter and parmesan cheese
    Cottage cheese or yogurt with Cheerios or other cereal and fruit
    RIce pudding -- rice with milk, eggs, sugar
    Chips and sour cream
    Walnuts wrapped with dates and cream cheese
    Avocado on toast
    Ham and cheese on a croissant
    Fried rice
    Mashed potatoes -- potatoes with butter and milk

If you're really struggling to eat enough, look for weight gain recipes online. Don't worry about the label if you're trying to lose. These are just recipes with higher calorie counts and usually a high amount of protein. They won't make you gain weight unless you go over the calories you'd need for maintenance. Adding some of them in your weekly routine can help give you that calorie boost you need.

Dammmmmn now you're making ME hungry!!!!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    After four pages of this, OP: Why not simply add in a bit of the foods that made you overweight in the first place? Surely you know what they are and you obviously liked them or you wouldn't have eaten them in the first place.

Not certain why this is all so complicated.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    After four pages of this, OP: Why not simply add in a bit of the foods that made you overweight in the first place? Surely you know what they are and you obviously liked them or you wouldn't have eaten them in the first place.

Not certain why this is all so complicated.

From what I have read this has been suggested close to 10 times in this thread and has never been answered.

OP you've dismissed all the suggestions about adding things onto your sandwich... how about things with the sandwich. Bowl of soup, bag of chips, hummus with veggies, string cheese, handful of nuts, yogurt.... or eat something that isn't a sandwich.... couple slices of pizza ought to help get those calories up...

Have you looked at the link to the list of calorie dense foods, or the text list of the same foods posted above?

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat different foods that are higher calorie. Eat some of the foods you used to eat.
    Don't choose low or no fat products. Eat whole fat dairy, whole eggs. Cook with oil.
    Drink some milk, juice, smoothie/shake.
    Eat some mashed potatoes, pasta, rice.
    Creamy soups.
    Have veggies with dips or sauces.

This is stuff I eat and I have no trouble reaching 1200 calories.
    Breakfast- things like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- things like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

OK. Add avocado to your sandwich (or on the side). Have some full fat cottage cheese on the side. Have a glass of whole milk with your sandwich.
    Add some oil (I like olive oil) or butter to your veggies at dinner. Have a glass of whole milk with your sandwich.

Great idea. One of my favorite sandwiches (which has lots of calories) starts with ham and avocado. Also gruyere (yes, OP doesn't like cheese), mango chutney, and jalapenos. Highly recommended.

Also, more ham might be a good idea. Some homemade potato salad. Full fat greek yogurt with berries in it (or apples with full fat greek yogurt as a dip).

I like vegetables with lunch -- just a ham sandwich sounds depressing -- but I suppose that wouldn't help with the supposedly too stuffed to eat more issue. Vegetables roasted in some olive oil or a side salad with a balsamic vinaigrette, cheese, and olives could. Toss on some seeds, maybe.

Or do whatever and see what happens. The hunger will return if it's not a medical problem, and it could derail OP completely. That's why I think it's good to take advantage of the super motivated beginning to put together something really sustainable and that doesn't feel like a diet at all, when you don't have to worry about feeling hungry. Nice to be able to drop calories later too, although if you start at 1200 I guess that's not the issue (I started at 1250, but added exercise so ended up increasing calories for a while).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

You're young.

I'm not a teenager for one.
    I don't like cheese sandwiches so I won't be adding it to that, I do add it when I have pasta or something.
    I am full for four hours on a sandwich(note not everyone has lunch at 12)
    And I'm aware the cardio machines only give you a rough example of what your burning. Obviously a machine can't be accurate without knowing anything about you.

Your profile says you're 19. That's a teenager.

The comment about putting cheese on your sandwich was meant in the sense that you are complicating things. Don't like cheese? Use mayo. Have crisps. Have a side of veggies and dip. Add something else to the meal.

Stop expecting other people to walk you through this.

The point also with the cardio machines is that thankfully, you're not netting THAT low an amount of calories. But it's still low.

EAT the yogurt now and go to bed.

Do better tomorrow.

My profile is incorrect - I'm 20, made this a long time ago I guess I didn't check I put in the right details when I started to reuse my account. Sorry for mistaking you.
    As I said I wanted to know how I could bulk it up or if it was even a bad thing. Not for you to complain.

I don't think this makes sense. MFP doesn't let you say less than 18 (am I wrong about this? I know you aren't permitted to join if under 18), so if you did this a while ago it would be more likely that you'd have overstated your age, not understated it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can easily add butter or cheese or other condiments or all three to tour sandwich
    Not a fan of the options. Is it better just to eat for the sake of it even if I don't enjoy the extra food I'm adding or just stick to what I'm doing as it's filling me up ?

A sense of fullness does not = adequate nutrition though.

Are you meeting protein and fat goals? 1200 is recommended for women to meet nutritional minimums. When we lose weight we lose fat+existing lean muscle mass. If you want a higher % of fat loss (healthy weight loss)....then you need to eat enough to support the muscle you have.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    These "can't eat all my calories" posts have always confused me. If you are finding it hard to eat 1200 calories, then how did you get a weight problem?

edit - I just noticed an entire thread dealing with this question.

Because it's easier to eat 500 calories in a single brownie versus 500 calories of salad or chicken or apples or any other healthy food.

I'm a sugar addict I use to drink 1000 calories a day in just Dr Pepper... Add to that the cookies and brownies and other sweets I would eat every day. Remove all those empty calories and my real food calories end up between 900 and 1250 a day. And so far in 14 days I've lost 9 lbs. So yes eating close to 1200 calories of empty calories along with real foods made me fat... So now I've removed those excess empty calories. Yes I miss the sugar but know I'm an addict and can't have it anymore if I want to be healthy.