November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    More annoyingly, by my calculations, I have only done 25 miles since the last charge, and although that's over 8 days and it is on to a certain degree the rest of the time, I have a horrible thought that it might not make it through my marathon next year, as I could be looking at a 4:30-5:00 time for that.

Eight days is a long time between charges. Even if you'd done zero running in that span it would not be surprising for the battery to be at the end of its charge. I wouldn't worry about it pooping out during your marathon. To be certain, give it a full charge the evening before your long runs and then see where the charge level is when you're done.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 great job on your HM!
  • fyree39
    fyree39 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I only started this yesterday and I'm going to be walking instead of running.

11/5-1 mi
    11/6-2 mi
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Ohhim Beast

Date.......Distance.....Type

November 1 - 11.8km - Easy+ST
    November 2 - 11.6km - Easy
    November 3 - 9.4 km - Easy+Drills
    November 4 - 8.5 km - 5k test (19:23)
    November 5 - 6.1 km - Easy, Duck
    November 6 - 18.0km - Long run

Ticker broken again: 65.8

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Wow, @jodilynnsanders5104 - great first HM. Congratulations!
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Frustrating - cannot get ticker to work. Oh well!

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Question. I've bought the 80/20 book, and haven't started reading much yet, but how do you guys calculate your zones? I have an HRM but just wondering what people do?

Hope you shake that cold and feel better soon!

I just let my HRM (Garmin) calculate my zones. As long as you have some variation in your data (hard runs, easy runs, runs from hell), it'll be accurate. :smiley:

Well I've mostly been doing what I would call easy, and my TomTom must be calculating based on age etc. However according to it, over 90% of my time is spent running in zone 5 or sprint zone. Clearly this is not the case as I CAN have a conversation during a run, albeit with gaps.

I'm a relatively new runner, starting from a low/moderate fitness level, and have certainly seen my heart rate and thus fitness improve (based on recovery time). But I'm keen to understand what I should do to calculate zones based on my personal reality rather than an algorithm based on an 'average person' - I've read to run flat out for 30 minutes or something. Does anyone have a technique they've used?

There must be online hr zones calculators. All you need the your resting hr, the lowest number you've ever seen, (laying around, first wake up). And the highest number on your hr data. Should be a hard effort.

One those numbers are plugged in, the zones are percentages of the range (I think).

I'm really looking for a specific technique to measure that 'hard effort'. Is hard effort how long I run for two seconds, five minutes, etc. Is that from a cold start or what?

I appreciate I could use the internet generally to ask this question, which I have done with varying results such as 'run for 15 minutes then flat out for 2, take your heart rate from the last minute and add 5' or 'walk four laps briskly round a park and take your heart rate from the last lap'. I imagine both will give varying results which is why I asked here, where there seem to be a number of runners who understand and USE these things in training, for their advice.

I'm not really a HRM trainer but I know Maffetone has a technique to finding your zones that a lot of people use.

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @Ohhim...unbelievable job!!! I can't even imagine...

(Just stalked your results. Thanks for the link)

Just had time to look. 10:21:27 Ironman, capped by a 3:38:20 marathon. Amazing!

Awesome job @Ohhim
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    11/1: 3 miles
    11/2: rest
    11/3: 4 miles
    11/4: 3 miles
    11/5: 7 miles
    11/6: 5 miles

TOTAL: 22/70

5 miles in 47:29 today (9:30 pace). It was beautiful out today and I felt really great on my run. I think the extra hour of sleep and watching the NYC elite finish right before my run gave me some extra energy. I started out the first mile way too fast, so I went a very easy pace the rest of the mile. Accidentally did the same thing the second mile too, so I just turned the run into a sort of interval run (fast/hard pace first ~1/4 of each mile and then an easy/recovery pace the rest). I ran this on my hilly route too. I didn't intend to combine intervals with hills, but it made for a great workout.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 great job on your HM!

Yes, great job.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Sorry to hear about your glute, but it sounds like your made the right decision about the HM. There will be others! Hope your glute recovers quickly.

@Ohhim Congratulations...you did absolutely amazing! Great finish picture as well. I enjoyed reading your quick recap!

@Joanna2012B Congrats on the PR!

@federicafezza4271 You can do it! It's okay if you're not going your fastest, just focus on going the distance. And if you can't do it, that's okay too. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks or do a few extra days of a week until you feel confident to move on. I started running with the C25K program about 6 years ago and rushed through the program because I was too anxious to move on. I finished the 5K I signed up for at the end, but it was a huge struggle and I quit running after it. The following year, I attempted C25K again and made sure to follow the plan carefully, even repeating weeks until I felt like I had it down. I've been running ever since and I returned to my original 5K last year and beat my original time by over 6 minutes. Sorry for the rant, but I love encouraging new runners because I was in your spot not that long ago and know how the C25K can help turn someone into a runner if they want to be. Good luck!

@jodilynnsanders5104 Congrats on a great first HM!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    November Running Totals (miles)
    11/1 – 1.77 easy
    11/2 – 2.09 easy
    11/3 – 2.43 (1.67 + 0.76) easy
    11/4 – rest day
    11/5 – 2.60 easy
    11/6 – 3.19 (2.60 + 0.59) easy

November total to date – 12.08

Nominal Challenge Goal – 30 miles
    Real Goals: Continue recovery. Complete Race with Grace 10K on Thanksgiving without setting recovery back, even if I have to walk most of it.

Today's notes – The recovery experiment continues. I thought I might run 5K today, and set out on a known 5K route with opportunities to bail early. A mile and a half in, running the full route seemed unwise; so I headed back on an option to get to my driveway about 2.3 miles. Felt good enough to stretch it to match yesterday's distance of 2.60 miles, though the leg didn't feel quite as good about it as it did yesterday after a full day of rest.

Made sure to stretch well, and the leg was feeling totally normal walking around the house at lunch. I remembered Coach saying to go run my "long" run of 2.5 miles, then go out later and do something a little less. So I went out with the idea of running no more than a mile. The first half mile or so felt almost normal, then came the familiar indications of fatiguing the injury. I'm 95% sure I could have run a full mile, but I chose to quit when the sensations started to grow rather than waiting for them to reach definite "time to quit" status. I was rewarded with the ability to do the PT's funky balance/stretch exercise on the injured leg almost immediately after the second run. (I need a cool down walk and simpler calf stretches after the first run to set me up for the funky balance/stretch thing.)

It's progress. I'm beginning to believe I might be able to run the full 10K on Thanksgiving Day; if my range still isn't that long, I'll have to think about how much to walk at the start to ensure I can keep running to the finish.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    December 11, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL)

2017 races:
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Nov 5     6.2        6.2 
    Nov 6     5.0       11.2 

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hey friends. I have been gone a long time. I had some health issues, and then started a new job and fell off the training bandwagon. In spite of that, I foolishly ran a half marathon today, lol! Let's just say that 20 pounds heavier and 0 miles per week makes for a rather painful experience. It has however, made me realize how much I enjoyed running when it didn't hurt! So I think I'm going to take this opportunity to get back into the game. I can't do a ticker from my phone, but I think my goal for this month will be 30-40 miles. Hey, at least I knocked out 13 of them today!

Welcome back!

Oh my, a half with no training? I have one scheduled in a month-no training. Maybe I CAN do it haha!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 I also think it had to do more with eight days between charges. I doubt my Garmin would last that long. Mine held up fine during a half marathon with plenty of battery to spare.

@jodilynnsanders5104 congratulations on your first half marathon! I hope you had a great experience. well done!! :smiley:

@MobyCarp I sure hope things keep improving for you and that you get to run the 10K on Thanksgiving! :smile:

@kristinegift how fun to see the NYC Marathon!! I'm totally jealous. :wink:
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Goal: 30 Mi

11/2/2016: 4.5 Mi Total, 2.75 Mi Running
    11/6/2016: 3.0 Mi Total, 2.00 Mi Running

(2) 1 Mi Intervals, starting to find a groove!

Distance Left: 25.25 Mi