November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Wore shorts and a tee to run today, and could have got away with a singlet. The radio tells me tomorrow is a transition day, and we're supposed to get 3 to 8 inches of snow on Sunday. The way forecasts work here, that means I might get an inch and a half in my driveway. Won't keep me from running on Sunday, but it might force me to wear trail shoes.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim I'm pretty sure Flying Pig will be my spring marathon as well and am looking at NYC or Marine Corp too for fall...haven't run any of those before.

Sounds like everyone has crazy weather going on! I think it got up to 72 today (still 65 now) and is supposed to drop to 36 by 8am tomorrow. We're supposed to have some rain and pretty high winds too. Possible snow tomorrow night but I don't think it will amount to any measurable accumulation. For now, I will be jealous of all the snow others are getting but I'm sure I'll be over it by mid-January. The Chicagoland area that I grew up in was much more efficient at snow removal. Columbus, not so much.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    @Getfitat54 @Stoshew71 It gets down to the mid-20s in Alabama?!! I'll have to revise my preconceptions of the Deep South! I'm in eastern Massachusetts, so winter temps in the 20s are common, but I don't run outside if it drops below 20. I have a college friend from Hilliard, OH, however, who insists that winter running at Zero degrees is a peak experience not to be missed.

We routinely get mid- to low-teens in Warner Robins, GA (middle of Georgia)....
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm having more trouble with running into ANIMALS in the dark these days though. Last week a skunk and today a buck! And I ran into the same one twice in one day! ...
    Try this one for an animal problem: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/deer-hits-cross-country-runner-meet-justin-deluzio-the-cross-country-runner-who-got-destroyed-by-a-deer-111716

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I'm having more trouble with running into ANIMALS in the dark these days though. Last week a skunk and today a buck! And I ran into the same one twice in one day! ...
    Try this one for an animal problem: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/deer-hits-cross-country-runner-meet-justin-deluzio-the-cross-country-runner-who-got-destroyed-by-a-deer-111716

Ha, wow, that's quite a collision! And if I ever get hit by a deer, I am probably not still going to finish my race, but I guess I might be a quitter. :) By the way I think I saw my same white-tailed buck again tonight, with a girlfriend.

Great job @orphia!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November Goal: have as much fun running as Lily the Whippet does!

11/1 6.50
    11/2 got distracted by some silly ball game...
    11/3 3.20
    11/4 2.05
    ...and off for a couple days as I travel to Vegas to meet with the whole famdamily including son who was supposed to be dead by now!
    11/5, 6,7 travel
    11/8 2.50
    11/9 3.40
    11/10 travel
    11/11 family reunion/travel/playing cards/arguing politics/walking for miles in Vegas
    11/12 ditto
    11/13 6.38 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k....and more family reunion drama (tl:dr....family sometimes sucks....)
    11/14 travel/15 hour airport layover, redeye overocean flight
    11/15 nap...may try a treadmill run later....(didn't happen)
    11/16 3.20
    11/17 delayed jetlag
    11/18 3.60

Total: 30.93
    @kristinegift (don't) Break a leg!

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    vandinem wrote: »
    @Getfitat54 @Stoshew71 It gets down to the mid-20s in Alabama?!! I'll have to revise my preconceptions of the Deep South! I'm in eastern Massachusetts, so winter temps in the 20s are common, but I don't run outside if it drops below 20. I have a college friend from Hilliard, OH, however, who insists that winter running at Zero degrees is a peak experience not to be missed.

We routinely get mid- to low-teens in Warner Robins, GA (middle of Georgia)....

My son is/should/cross your fingers and toes, be going to Ft. Benning in January. I told him GA was much like here weather wise. I don't remember GA being windy though. We get in the teens too and some ice, rarely snow. Which is why southerners can't drive in snow, there's ice under it or there's so little snow to practice on.

He should graduate in March (i think). If i can run, maybe an mfp group run/race? I'll have to stalk some peoples. Haha! (I can hear you "oh please not me, not me, not me") haha! Naw, sure we'll be busy with the boy and maybe some family my brothers baby-mama and off spring and her off spring. Mountain folk. :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Went to the launch of a new parkrun, and did a 5 km PB!

26:39

Seven seconds faster than my previous PB. I'll take it!

Wow! Congratulations! :grin:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I have shin splints. And I had a pretty big hissy fit/pity party this morning.

Have you changed shoes? Or are you running on a cambered surface? Too many miles? I hate shin splints. Good luck, hope it heals quickly!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - Be careful on those horse trails. I know what you mean! As both a runner and a horse owner, I can say that I really wish other horseback riders would just avoid the public trails when they're very muddy. Maybe they just don't realize the [long lasting] damage their 1000lb animals' feet cause to muddy trails, but jeez...have a little courtesy!
    @ceciliaslater I just wish you could tell the difference between the mud and their poop when the daylight is fading...

@kristinegift Best of luck for your marathon!

@Orphia Congrats on the new PB!

@greenolivetree Sorry to hear you are having issues with shin splints. When I suffered at the beginning of the year, new stability shoes helped A LOT, as did living in compression socks, stretching and foam rolling my calves twice a day. I guess you've already tried that though?

Forgot to post my run yesterday but I'm just sat here waiting for my breakfast to go down before I head out again so I'll update my miles when I'm back.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Few days off where depression threatened to rear its ugly head, but got out for run this morning to try to head it off at the pass. Besides was too nice not to go out on the sea-wall trail, which I pretty much had to myself this morning:
    h724ve138go5.jpg

Had no particular aim in mind for this run - just not anything too stressful on the legs/body. Ended up being 7.4k at approximately HM pace. Was only 5C but only slight breeze and sunny so actually felt very pleasant. Overall run was nice to wake me up for the day whilst not tiring me out later. Beyond that nothing particularly noteworthy to report.

exercise.png
    2-Nov: 13.1k - 3 laps of hilly route.
    4-Nov: 6.26k - Planned 11k easy, but cut short as very stiff/tired.
    7-Nov: 11.25k easy.
    9-Nov: 6k fast
    12-Nov: 18k - longest run to date. Very wet.
    14-Nov (AM): 5.1k easy. Wet and sluggish (no warm-up)
    14-Nov (PM): 10k as 5k tempo + 5k intervals
    16-Nov: 8.3k - 2 laps of hill circuit
    19-Nov: 7.4k trail run at approx HM pace.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe That's gorgeous! Where is that?

Had a gorgeous run this morning. I ran the 2.5miles to Parkrun, ran Parkrun at my usual Parkrun pace and then ran home on a slightly longer route. The weather was gorgeous, the air was clear and I felt awesome afterwards. So awesome that I think I'm going to do it every week, moving my long run to a Saturday morning instead of Sunday and break it up with parkrun in the middle. I felt so much better after doing that rather than going out on a Friday, being tired on a Saturday and taking a day of the weekend to relax and feel energised again. No more Friday nights out for me, but that's ok. Who would rather go out, get drunk and feel awful than wake up and do this? :)

Now I'm going to sit with my feet up and register for a couple more races to take me up to my marathon. Found a half marathon and a 10km I want to get in before.

November Running Challenge

2nd - 4.05 miles
    3rd - 4.27 miles
    5th - 4.60 miles
    6th - 7.28 miles
    7th-12th - injured
    13th - 5.37 miles
    15th - 3.20 miles
    16th - 3.40 miles
    18th - 3.08 miles
    19th - 8.38 miles

MTD - 43.63/80* miles
    *Adjusted down due to injury

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Goal: 30 Mi

11/02/2016: 4.5 Mi Total, 2.75 Mi Running
    11/06/2016: 3.0 Mi Total, 2.00 Mi Running
    11/07/2016: 3.2 Mi Total, 2.50 Mi Running
    11/09/2016: 4.0 Mi Total, 3.00 Mi Running
    11/11/2016: 2.5 Mi Total, 2.00 Mi Running
    11/14/2016: 4.5 Mi Total, 3.00 Mi Running
    11/16/2016: 3.1 Mi Total, 2.50 Mi Running
    11/18/2016: 3.5 Mi Total, 2.70 Mi Running

Distance Left: 9.55 Mi
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe That's gorgeous! Where is that?

@louubelle16 - It's part of the Hadleigh Country Park (just out of sight to the left of the photo is where they had the 2012 Olympic Mountain biking). It's about half hour outside of London on north bank of the Thames just before you hit Southend, and conveniently starts just about a mile away from me!

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    11/1: 3
    11/4: 4.2
    11/6: 6
    11/8: 3
    11/10: 4
    11/13: 7
    11/16: 2.3
    11/18: 4

33.5 of 60

Training for: Key West Half Marathon, Jan 15, 2017
    exercise.png

I took to the Great Indoors last evening to knock out a 4 mile run with 2x1600 at 8:30. It went well - I always seem to do better with speedwork on the TM - and I was happy to get it done and feel that I'm reasonably following my schedule despite getting knocked off by a day. I'll run long tomorrow (I think schedule says 8).

Happy running, all!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    11/1: 8.5 miles
    11/2: 6.7 miles
    11/3: 3.6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    11/4: Rest
    11/5: 14 miles
    11/6: NYCM spectating!
    11/7: 3 miles
    11/8: 3 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    11/9: 4.5 miles
    11/10: 5.5 miles (am), no pm run
    11/11: 4.4 miles
    11/12: 10 miles
    11/13: 5.5 miles
    11/14: 3.3 miles
    11/15: Rest day finally!
    11/16: 6 miles
    11/17: 3 miles with the Thursday crew
    11/18: Rest/expo day
    11/19: 3 miles

3 slow, chatty, excited miles this morning to shake out the cobwebs before the big day. I AM SO EXCITED. I am not injured. I am not having a Lady Time. I am not riddled with anxiety. I feel really good about tomorrow which is not something I've ever felt before a marathon before. Spending the day eating, working from home a little bit, and watching Spirit of the Marathon while I do my last bit of race prep (painting my nails, packing my gear check bag, charging all my gadgets, etc.).

If anyone wants to track me tomorrow, the Philadelphia Marathon has a free app and I'm the only person with the last name Gift registered / I'm bib #2265 :)

exercise.png

Fall Race Season & Next Year:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon: 1:42:24
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: BQ-3 = 3:32 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    GO KRISTINE, GO KRISTINE, GO KRISTINE <fist pumping>

@kristinegift I love that painting your nails is part of race prep! Kick some *kitten* tomorrow!!!
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: 3 miles (m)
    11/2: Rest Day
    11/3: 3 miles
    11/4: 3 miles (m)
    11/5: 3 miles
    11/6: 2.75 miles
    11/7: 3 miles (m)
    11/8: 3 miles
    11/9: Rest Day
    11/10: Rest Day
    11/11: No running per Doc
    11/12: No running per Doc
    11/13: No running per Doc
    11/14: No running per Doc
    11/15: No running per Doc
    11/16: 4 miles
    11/17: 4 miles
    11/18: 4 miles
    11/19: 4 miles

My Total/November: 36.75 miles
    Mike's Total: 9 miles

Excellent run this morning with Fergus. It was in the 40s and, while cold at first, it felt really good once I got moving. We joined up with a running group for just under a mile which was kind of fun - we just happened to be going the same way at about the same pace. Then, at one point in the 3rd mile we ran into a neighbor of ours walking his 3 dogs. Fergus got a little excited and actually knocked me down which kind of sucked. Fortunately I came away with just a little scrape on my hand. And, if I factor in the 30 or 45 seconds that I spent on the ground, it seems that last mile was actually my fastest so that is something. :) Even with the fall, I am feeling pretty darned good right now and planning to go at least 5 miles tomorrow.

@kristinegift Good luck! Looking forward to hearing some BQ news from you! :)

@greenolivetree Sorry about your shins. Not fun. I was worried about them when I first switched from mostly treadmill running to pavement running, but I seem to have gotten lucky. I hope it clears up soon for you.

@dkabambe What a lovely spot for running!

Have a great day everyone!

Upcoming Race:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX

OK, so the ticker does eventually update, it just seems to take it a while. :(

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    "Rest" day here. Just couldn't really justify running in 20mph winds when it's 19F outside after running 6bmiles and shoveling for 90 minutes yesterday then shoveling another 50 minutes this morning. Tomorrow will be colder but no wind. Decent conditions for my 10 miler. I have several ideas of routes to keep it easier.

@kristinegift you are going to do awesome! You're one of my inspirations for running.