November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    So I just plugged in my recent HM PR into McMillan. https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

1:35:55 HM gives...

A 5K prediction of 20:43 (6:40 pace).
    10K of 43:01 (6:55)
    12K of 52:19 (7:01)
    15K of 1:06:40 (7:09)

It then gives vLT of 7:06 & vVO2 of 6:08

The vLT makes sense since it is between the 12K pace & 15K pace (or between the 2 race times that sandwich 1 HR).

For kicks and giggles, I plug in a PR for a 12K to be exactly 1:00:00.
    What it responded: 12K = 1:00:00 (8:03 pace) vLT = 8:02
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I am really confused LOL. If I plug in my 5K time of 22:29, it gives me an upper end of zone 3 of 7:14, which equates to the 5K pace for that time. If I plug in my HM time of 1:39:57, it gives me an upper end of Z3 of 6:57 (no way), and predicts that as my 5K pace, so I am assuming that the upper end of Z3 corresponds to the 5K pace based on that calculator. Am I doing something wrong here???
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Ok, now I am really confused LOL. If I plug in my 5K time of 22:29, it gives me an upper end of zone 3 of 7:14, which equates to the 5K pace for that time. If I plug in my HM time of 1:39:57, it gives me an upper end of Z3 of 6:57 (no way), and predicts that as my 5K pace, so I am assuming that the upper end of Z3 corresponds to the 5K pace based on that calculator. Am I doing something wrong here???

What calculator are you using that feeds back HR zones? McMillian offers Heart Rate Training but you have to be a paid subscriber and I am not a paid subscriber.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    November walking miles

1---6.24 
    2---travel/pt/doc
    3---3.1 walk, 25 minute swim, 2.8 walk
    4--- travel
    5---3.19
    6,7,8--- Nada, pt, Nada
    9---4.7
    10---4.77
    12---3.0
    14---4.45
    15---4.4, 0.1x2
    16---4, pt, 0.1x3
    17--- 5.16 walk *I am not a runner* :smiley: imagine Nixon

45.85/50+

Not Advisable races:
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered) DNS
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @juliet3455 - Does the toe hole in @7lenny7 photo really indicate they are too small? I get that hole on my right shoe and I have recently gone up a 1/2 size and it still happened. I figured it was either because of my form somehow, or I just have nasty toes. Maybe it is because my shoe needs to be laced different or tighter?
    @karllundy Since she was in a pair of Mizunos and they are my primary HM/Long Run shoe, I based my comment on my experience with them. The first pair of Mizunos I had suffered the same fate. They didn't irritate me but that is where they wore through the Top of the shoe material. 1/2 size larger in the same brand and no more wear through. Now if @Mizuno would just enforce the material on the side of the foot a little bit to eliminate that stress failure point right at the Toe/foot junction.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Bring on the snow! Unfortunately those of us in the Twin Cities will probably get missed this time around. But, I am anxious to see how trail shoes work in the snow; if they work well, I'll be getting a pair of Gortex trail shoes for the winter.

@7lenny7 I have friends in Miller, SD and my mom is from Webster, SD. That state feels like my second home. Kody is freaking adorable! And, I have one cousin who graduated from KU and another currently goes there; they live in Overland Park, so I'm in that area at least once per year to visit them.

@Orphia I LOVE running at night and while I don't necessarily experience a runner's high, it does help me sleep like a rock, which works just great for me.

@juliet3455 I've been fitted for my shoes and get a hole above my big toes every time. I think that either I don't keep my toenails short enough, or I lift my toe funny when I run. I usually get to about 200 miles or so on my shoes before this happens.

And, as for the walk break discussion - I do what feels best for me. My body feels better when I follow the Galloway method for longer distances. For shorter distances, I tend to run until I feel like I need a short break, then repeat. Sometimes I can run a 5k without stopping and sometimes I can't. As several people mentioned, we each run our own race and we don't have to worry about what others do (as long as they're following proper race etiquette).

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @HeatherMN usually when I reference Miller no one has heard of it so I started referencing Kimball. We hunt much closer to Miller than Kimball. I've got family in Miller and south of Miller where we hunt. And I used to live in Overland Park (and Lawrence). Small world!

I think next year when we go hunting I'm going to bring my running shoes and run section lines in the morning.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »

What calculator are you using that feeds back HR zones? McMillian offers Heart Rate Training but you have to be a paid subscriber and I am not a paid subscriber.

The Fitzgerald calculator on the link in @MNLittleFinn 's original post. You have to click on the link under "Run Pace" to get to it. It doesn't give HR zones, but pace zones. I am comparing them to the HR zones in his book. For example, in his book, zone 3 is 96-100% of LTHR. The calculator gives zone 3 results based on pace of 7:30-6:57 (which I am assuming corresponds to 96-100% of LTHR). Based on my own experience/data, my LTHR is around 160bpm, or close to a 7:30 pace, which is a far cry from 6:57. McMillan site is blocked here at work, but I would say that calculator sounds more accurate.
  • abqrnr
    abqrnr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm new and decided there's no time like the present to join this challenge to keep myself on track. I'm just coming back to running and it is HARD! I'm also starting back to work on Monday as well so I look forward to posting my miles and reading all about yours, too!

Abqrnr (Albuquerque runner) :)

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Looks like the snow could be already coming down when I'm running in the AM.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    All this talk about zones and heart rates and calculators... I'm as guilty of getting too techy with running as anyone but I think tonight I'm going to leave my HR strap at home, not preplan my route, and just enjoy the run.

@MNLittleFinn I wish we were getting all that snow! It makes for some awesome running! Best guess for us it seems is just an inch and it won't stick around.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    All this talk about zones and heart rates and calculators... I'm as guilty of getting too techy with running as anyone but I think tonight I'm going to leave my
    HR strap at home, not preplan my route, and just enjoy the run.

Don't you get so zen on me. LOL
  • lporter229
    Options
    All this talk about zones and heart rates and calculators... I'm as guilty of getting too techy with running as anyone but I think tonight I'm going to leave my
    HR strap at home, not preplan my route, and just enjoy the run.

@MNLittleFinn I wish we were getting all that snow! It makes for some awesome running! Best guess for us it seems is just an inch and it won't stick around.

I do that when I am starting to feel some burn out. Sometimes I even leave the Garmin at home. Those are the best runs!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'm looking forward to it once it has fallen, its the headache I'll get from falling snow reflecting my headlamp that I don't relish. Sat afternoon long run should be OK though, Just windy and I can just run around town 3 times to get the miles in.

It's the 20mph winds that will kind of suck on Sat
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I can run in cold weather... well cold for central Alabama.... in the mid 20's.... I do okay, but when the cold wind kicks up... that hurts.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I'm looking forward to it once it has fallen, its the headache I'll get from falling snow reflecting my headlamp that I don't relish. Sat afternoon long run should be OK though, Just windy and I can just run around town 3 times to get the miles in.

Those are the runs that will put hair on your chest.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Getfitat54 wrote: »
    I can run in cold weather... well cold for central Alabama.... in the mid 20's.... I do okay, but when the cold wind kicks up... that hurts.

Central Alabama? I'm in northern Alabama (Huntsville/Madison).
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Don't even talk to me about wind. Marathon forecast is now dry but 20 mph winds, gusts 30-40 mph. Ouch! Luckily my HM PR was set on an even windier day, so I'm not bothered :)
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Montgomery!

• Stoshew71
    Options

Montgomery!

I got a buddy going through the police academy right now in Montgomery.