November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today was an easy 11k, (to replace the one I had to cut short on Friday). Nothing remarkable to report but not liking this easy week! Want to get back to doing some longer and/or fast runs, but I know this will help with my development overall so will stick with it.

exercise.png
    2-Nov: 13.1k - 3 laps of hilly route.
    4-Nov: 6.26k - Planned 11k easy, but cut short as very stiff/tired.
    7-Nov: 11.25k easy.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 Mi Run / 50 Mi Walk
    11/1 3.28 mi run 3.28 mi run total
    11/1 1.57 mi walk 1.57 mi walk total
    11/3 4.44 mi run 7.72 mi run total
    11/5 3.71 mi run 11.43 mi run total
    11/5 1.08 mi walk 2.65 mi walk total
    11/6 5.26 mi run 16.69 mi run total
    11/6 0.71 mi walk 3.36 mi walk total
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Date .. Miles .. Total
    11/01 .. 05.6 .. 05.6
    11/02 .. Rest
    11/03 .. 06.5 .. 12.1
    11/04 .. Rest
    11/05 .. Rest
    11/06 .. 08.4 .. 20.5

Have too much going on and missed a shorter run on Saturday, I could not make my goal for the week and ended up with the same range of weekly mileage as the last few weeks...

On Sunday, DH and I wanted to run 10 miles. Family and friends came along with most kids biking around the reservoir and adults running. With the end of daylight savings and other things going on, we only have 1 hour 30 minutes to run. With our speed, we could only finished a little more than 8 miles in a more or less tempo pace instead of the 10 easy miles that I had in mind. With family coming along, we can't always make the mileage or pace that we had in mind. But then, I don't feel like we sacrificed family time. It is a tricky balance.

In this 8-mile-ish run, I think I did a nice negative split with an average pace of 10 min/mile. Then, I realized this is the pace I will need to keep if I want to finish HM in under 2 hour 15 mins. It seems to be a reasonable challenging goal for my upcoming HM in December. It also mean I will need to be more diligent in making my runs and building up the base mileage!

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    after 4 weeks of slow easy running, I'm getting very tempted to add in a cruise interval or Tempo run to my routine, just to break things up a little. The urge to go faster is becoming strong.

That said, the smart side of me is winning and I'm going to keep on with the slow easy running
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Incredible race, with a great finish line photo! Congrats!

@Joanna2012B Congrats on your 5k PR!

@jodilynnsanders5104 Congrats on your half marathon!

@5BeautifulDays I think a 3:30 half marathon is pretty greatfor not training. Welcome back to running.

@juliet3455 Hope your calf heals quickly.

No running for me over the weekend, too many social events planned. Girls on the Run finishes up next week, so I'll have a lot more time in my schedule for running.

exercise.png
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    after 4 weeks of slow easy running, I'm getting very tempted to add in a cruise interval or Tempo run to my routine, just to break things up a little. The urge to go faster is becoming strong.

That said, the smart side of me is winning and I'm going to keep on with the slow easy running

It's called 80/20 for a reason. You need that 20% to keep the aerobic engine fine tuned. At 30-40 miles a week you are only looking at (1) 6-8 mile session of faster running. Make sure that session has a defined purpose and stick to it. A tempo run at goal HMP is not going to hurt you one bit in what you are trying to accomplish. Throwing in a 5k or 10k race is also a great way to get those miles in, just be mindful of recovery when doing race paced running.

• 5512bf
    Options
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy
    11/2 - 4.49 - Easy
    11/3 - 6.49 - Easy
    11/4 - 5.21 - Easy
    11/7 - 6.21 - Easy

Total - 27.22 of 150

I blew off weekend running partly due to sick kids on Saturday, and the time change on Sunday with the twins awaking at a mind numbing 4:30 AM ready to go hard for the day. Our weather has been so awesome as of late, hope it sticks around all winter. Today was another easy run with temps at about 57 degrees. Perfect for shorts and tech shirt without sweating like a pig.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

It's called 80/20 for a reason. You need that 20% to keep the aerobic engine fine tuned. At 30-40 miles a week you are only looking at (1) 6-8 mile session of faster running. Make sure that session has a defined purpose and stick to it. A tempo run at goal HMP is not going to hurt you one bit in what you are trying to accomplish. Throwing in a 5k or 10k race is also a great way to get those miles in, just be mindful of recovery when doing race paced running.

That's exactly the workout I was looking doing, nothing super fast, but I was figuring that adding back in a tempo run would be a good way to keep my speed up with all this slower running. I upped my LR to 10 last week, so a switch to Tempo pace for my thursday run seems like a good change to keep my speed going.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Now that it is getting darker earlier, I'm going to struggle with getting the miles in from my plan. Daylight time is tight after work, so might either have to run trails by headlight or run city streets that have decent lighting (I'll do it if I have to, I guess).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Now that it is getting darker earlier, I'm going to struggle with getting the miles in from my plan. Daylight time is tight after work, so might either have to run trails by headlight or run city streets that have decent lighting (I'll do it if I have to, I guess).

I've done all of my running in the dark for the last 2-3 months. I run on the wide shoulder of the roads here with a headlamp and reflective vest. I actually have a hard time when it comes to running in the light, because I'm so used to running in the dark. I love dark running.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Totally random question I just thought of. When doing hill repeats, do ya'all walk down, or jog down? I have always jogged down, but I'm thinking that with my more HR based training, I should be pushing it more on the uphill then going real slow down....
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

That's exactly the workout I was looking doing, nothing super fast, but I was figuring that adding back in a tempo run would be a good way to keep my speed up with all this slower running. I upped my LR to 10 last week, so a switch to Tempo pace for my thursday run seems like a good change to keep my speed going.

This counter balances with increased volume. Faster running causes a training stress but so does increasing your weekly volume. I have not yet read to see if Fitzgerald discusses 80/20 in regards with increasing volume, but I know from other sources that it is suggested that you keep everything easy as you are working on increasing your volume.

80/20 works (by my suspicion) because you are maintaining the same volume as you run 80% at easy pace and 20% at anaerobic levels. But what happens if you try and do both (increase volume AND run 20% at anaerobic pace)? You are creating a lot of stress on the body.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

This counter balances with increased volume. Faster running causes a training stress but so does increasing your weekly volume. I have not yet read to see if Fitzgerald discusses 80/20 in regards with increasing volume, but I know from other sources that it is suggested that you keep everything easy as you are working on increasing your volume.

80/20 works (by my suspicion) because you are maintaining the same volume as you run 80% at easy pace and 20% at anaerobic levels. But what happens if you try and do both (increase volume AND run 20% at anaerobic pace)? You are creating a lot of stress on the body.

it's actually 20% z3 and up, not anaerobic necessarily, just 20% faster than easy pace. The plans start with something like 10% z3 and up and the percentage increases along with the mileage/duration. Thing is, Fitzgerald has cutbacks on week 3 of a 3 week rotation, instead of 4 of a 4 week rotation. n My mileage is actually topped out for the next 2-3 weeks at 40mpw, so I wouldn't be adding mileage as I add the z3+ running into things. Next mileage bump isn't until after Thanksgiving, and that'll be a 2mpw bump....LOL...I really overthink things
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

exercise.png

1st: 2.25 miles - MTD 2.25
    2nd: 1.18 miles, strength training and Pilates - MTD 4.43
    3rd: 2.51 miles C210k - MTD 6.94
    4th: 0 miles - MTD 6.94
    5th: 2.39 miles - MTD 9.33 Wk5:D3 C210k - as I get back to running
    6th: 0 miles, but some good miles walking - MTD 9.33
    7th: 2.53 miles run/walk, Wk6:D1 C210k, strength training and Pilates - MTD 11.86
  • 5512bf
    Options

I increased from 40 miles a week to a peak of 74 over about 20-22 weeks from this spring to late summer. It's been a while since I've completely read the book but his plans typically increase a couple miles a week through the 14-16 weeks before you taper. I've never used one of his plans but I know @lporter229 has.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I increased from 40 miles a week to a peak of 74 over about 20-22 weeks from this spring to late summer. It's been a while since I've completely read the book but his plans typically increase a couple miles a week through the 14-16 weeks before you taper. I've never used one of his plans but I know @lporter229 has.

That's pretty much how I read it. The weekly mileage generally goes up a couple miles (i.e. the long run goes up 1 mile between weeks 1 and 2, and there's a couple more fast minutes in the fast finish runs earlier in the week)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks for sharing.

Question for you @5512bf Was any of the increase to 74 miles new distance?
    It's one thing to increase from 40-74 miles if you ran that much or a certain amount of that mileage in the past.

It's a different story if you never say for example ran over miles 60 miles before. Going from 40-60 would not be as big as a deal as say going from 60-74 then.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Yes, I've used modified versions of his intermediate marathon plan twice and a combo of his intermediate/advanced half marathon plan, so I can only speak to those plans. I am really not sure about his beginner plans. In all cases, I stuck with the recommended hard (tempo, speed work and long) runs, and modified the other runs up or down to fit my ability.

My opinion of his plans is this: I don't think he intends that the peak mileages in the plans are going to be vast increases over anything you have done before. In other words, he assumes you have a solid foundation, at least for the intermediate and advanced plans. If your plan maxes out at say 60 miles per week, I would probably make sure I have hit some solid 50 mile weeks before starting the plan. You don't want to be doing too much of an increase on both focused speed work and mileage. Where you are really making your gains is in making the most of the focused speed sessions. The rest of the running really is about recovery, but you have to be in a place where that type of running is actually recovery. So if you are in the pre-stages, I would probably suggest that you not get over zealous on the speed work and put more of your focus on building that solid base. The speed work will be there when you hit the meat of the plan.

That said, I also know that doing months and months of slow running will have you question your ability to run faster. If you feel the need to put in a few faster miles here and there, I think that's okay. Just don't overdo it. Also, keep in mind that this is just one type of training. I know that others out there, like @Stoshew71 , prefer to put more emphasis on running higher mileage all at slower paces and really only incorporate the speed work once the peak mileage is being hit, which is probably a solid approach as well.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing.

Question for you @5512bf Was any of the increase to 74 miles new distance?
    It's one thing to increase from 40-74 miles if you ran that much or a certain amount of that mileage in the past.

It's a different story if you never say for example ran over miles 60 miles before. Going from 40-60 would not be as big as a deal as say going from 60-74 then.

You must have posted this while I was typing my response. (Although it might not seem like it LOL) that was pretty much the point I was trying to make.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks for that info @lporter229 I'm really, now that I think about just thinking about taking the last 1 mile of 2 runs, say my Tuesday and thursday runs, and pushing up to close to LTHR for that last mile. That will keep me well below 20% hard running, but give me some release that I'm feeling I need after weeks of all slow running..... LOL, after all this talking/typing, I'll probably end up just running slow and easy again.....