November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    Okay, I have a question. There's some running terms I don't quite understand no matter how much I read up on it. Maybe it's a math thing because my brain pretty much checks out when too many numbers are involved.

What is "easy", "tempo" and negative split?
    I do you define your pace for a 5K, half marathon and marathon?

In a nutshell, and others can explain it better.

Easy and Tempo refer to paces and/or heart rates. Easy is, basically, when you can run and hold a conversation. Tempo is a bit faster than that, z3 for heart rate, for me that's like 164-174 beats per minute. Negative splits are when you run a mile split faster than the previous one or, in a marathon or HM, run the second half faster than the first.

Pace for 5k, HM and marathon are simply the pace at which you can run to go that distance. the longer the distance, the slower the pace.

Ah...thank you! I understand it a bit more. I understand heart rates.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    Okay, I have a question. There's some running terms I don't quite understand no matter how much I read up on it. Maybe it's a math thing because my brain pretty much checks out when too many numbers are involved.

What is "easy", "tempo" and negative split?
    I do you define your pace for a 5K, half marathon and marathon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJVtPT6rHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3XWp5fjx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1agTi1cAdDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhbrd0QF0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1hQ_kplgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfTnPG8y1eI
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Targeting a HM as a tune up race. There's one 3 weeks out from my full. Does that work? wouldn't be targeting a PR, just to run it....or go for a PR????? Questions to consider. McMillan calculator says I should have been able to run a 2:03HM to run my Marathon goal...it's all voodoo and black magic, but it's something for me to look at so I don't go crazier
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Funny thing, I started running for the same reason. When I ran I forgot about many things that were "killing me". It's also one of the things that got me an injury because all I wanted to do is run and never stop. Someday I might go into ultras lol.

And trust you are good enough to run in a race.

@kristinegift Damn I have a spot of pain right under my ankle on the outside of my right foot. No idea when it appeared and it doesn't hurt when I run, only when I step in a certain way. I really hope is nothing serious and it will go away, been at it for a few days now without getting better. Probably a tendon got hurt when I stepped a bit wrong. I'm still wondering if it's ok to run if I don't feel pain during the run but at this point I might consider stopping for a few days if running doesn't let it heal. Hope you get well soon

On the plus side I got another pair of shoes (god damn it). Behold the Adidas Takumi Ren 3.
      p35s1qwl610b.png
      1i22lxov0s9r.jpg

I realize now that I've became a huge fan of Adidas now. I don't like Nike shoes (It's always Adidas vs Nike), other brands I like. I just like their design philosophy.

Check this out. The Adizero Takumi are rafted for elite racing by Japanese expert cobblers Omori and Mimura. They are shoes made for Japan market so it's kinda rare to find them outside. They are basicaly on the same level as Adios, but for Japan.

There are 2 variants.

Adidas Takumi Sen which is a fast racing flat for 2 hours marathoners or 5k-Half racing if you aren't an elite 2 hour marathoner and Adidas Takumi Ren which is like the Sen but a bit heavier, marketed as a lightweight trainer (it also works like a flat).

Takumi Sen means "Artisan of the highest order". Not sure what Ren means but found out loosely translated Ren means "prepare" and Sen means "battle".

So I did some internet searching and found these two videos about the designers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eytYDtAbKfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHew-Trt9yc This one is in japanese but I think it's cool

Ok I'll cut my rambling

Date.......Distance.....Type

November 1 - 11.8km - Easy+ST
      November 2 - 11.6km - Easy
      November 3 - 9.4 km - Easy+Drills
      November 4 - 8.5 km - 5k test (19:23)
      November 5 - 6.1 km - Easy, Duck
      November 6 - 18.0km - Long run
      November 7 - xt
      November 8 - 13.0km - Easy+ST

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
      16/04: Color Run Bucharest
      17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
      04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
      22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
      28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
      18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
      09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53
    • emmab0902
      emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
      Options
      1 November 5.57km run
      2 November 2.4km swim
      3 November 6km run
      4 November 8km run
      5 November 2.15km swim
      6 November 3.43km run
      7 November 1.9km swim
      8 November 3.1km run

Running goal:  50km
      Swimming goal:  25km

exercise.png

• AdrianChr92
      AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
      Options
      @Stoshew71 McMillan has such a long neck
    • greenolivetree
      greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
      Options
      vcuellar21 wrote: »
      Hello group, I just came across this thread and thought it would be a great idea to join. I'm trying to get back into the groove of running, I use to run 6 miles a day but life has gotten in the way and I'm struggling to get back out there. I recently started a workout plan on the Nike Training App, which incorporates different workouts (strength, mobility, cardio, etc) I signed up for the beginners plan so it doesn't include runs but I've been running during the stated recovery days. So I'm getting slightly motivated to pick up running at least 3 days a week on top of the workout plan. I'm setting a goal of 35 miles this month, keeping it simple so I don't disappoint myself and I know I'm behind the rest of you as I'm starting a few days in but I hope to catch up.

On another note I've been experiencing a prolonged pain on the outside part of leg along the calf. Sometimes it feels like shinsplits but it's not on my shin it's literally runs down the outside part of my calf (where the indentation of your muscle is located). I was wondering if anyone of you have experienced that before, it doesn't feel like I pulled something or tore anything and it comes on at odds times not just after a workout or run.

Anywho, sorry for the long post. Thanks again for starting this group, I hope to stay motivated with your posts and help.

Just wanted to say welcome. Unfortunately I have no experience with that part of the leg! I have many other aches and pains but not that one :-p 35 miles is a great goal for getting back into running.
    • Stoshew71
      Options
      Targeting a HM as a tune up race. There's one 3 weeks out from my full. Does that work? wouldn't be targeting a PR, just to run it....or go for a PR????? Questions to consider. McMillan calculator says I should have been able to run a 2:03HM to run my Marathon goal...it's all voodoo and black magic, but it's something for me to look at so I don't go crazier

Hmmm... That's up to you. You will basically be entering your 3 week marathon taper right after the race.

I have my tune up HM this coming weekend. It's 4 weeks from my full. So I am always caught. I know I cannot have a hard week the week after my HM (because I will be in recovery) but if I take that week too easy, then essentially I will be doing a 4 week taper which is excessive. Over tapering is in some cases is almost as bad than under tapering. So the beginning of my recovery will be easy recovery for a few days then by the end of the week I try to compensate and get in extra miles to make up for it. So it ends up being a tough week. Then I can enter my taper 3 weeks before my key marathon.

I am shooting for a 3:20 marathon time (or 7:38 pace). I will use this week's HM as a speed trial. So the goal is to get a 1:35 HM (or 7:15 pace). One estimation formula is take your HM time, double it, and then add 10 minutes. So, if I can run a 3:20 marathon, I should be able to run a 1:35 HM. My current HM PR is 1:36:33 back in April. So I need to break my PR by a little over a minute and a half.

Since this will be your first time marathon, you shouldn't really be running it to get a certain time, but to just finish it. But if you wanted to see what your appropriate marathon time would be, you could try and PR that HM you are thinking about 3 weeks prior, then take that time and double it, then add 10-20 minutes, then that should be your estimated marathon finish time. YMMV

• Stoshew71
      Options
      @Stoshew71 McMillan has such a long neck

LOL he does.

• MNLittleFinn
      Options
      Stoshew71 wrote: »

Hmmm... That's up to you. You will basically be entering your 3 week marathon taper right after the race.

I have my tune up HM this coming weekend. It's 4 weeks from my full. So I am always caught. I know I cannot have a hard week the week after my HM (because I will be in recovery) but if I take that week too easy, then essentially I will be doing a 4 week taper which is excessive. Over tapering is in some cases is almost as bad than under tapering. So the beginning of my recovery will be easy recovery for a few days then by the end of the week I try to compensate and get in extra miles to make up for it. So it ends up being a tough week. Then I can enter my taper 3 weeks before my key marathon.

I am shooting for a 3:20 marathon time (or 7:38 pace). I will use this week's HM as a speed trial. So the goal is to get a 1:35 HM (or 7:15 pace). One estimation formula is take your HM time, double it, and then add 10 minutes. So, if I can run a 3:20 marathon, I should be able to run a 1:35 HM. My current HM PR is 1:36:33 back in April. So I need to break my PR by a little over a minute and a half.

Since this will be your first time marathon, you shouldn't really be running it to get a certain time, but to just finish it. But if you wanted to see what your appropriate marathon time would be, you could try and PR that HM you are thinking about 3 weeks prior, then take that time and double it, then add 10-20 minutes, then that should be your estimated marathon finish time. YMMV

That's what I was a little concerned about. I want to get a HM in before the full, just to be back in racing form, but that would be right before my taper. I'm not running for time per se, more looking to try to find a good pace because, and I hate to admit it because that could change in another couple months, but I don't want to just run easy or LR pace for the full. I'd like to go faster, like hopefully in the 10:00 pace range, which would equate to a 4:25ish full, and I was hoping a HM could give me some idea of what to pace for. It's all just a thought exercise for the next 3 months as I base build, but I like to keep my mind occupied, and the numbers side of running is fascinating to me.
    • kristinegift
      kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
      Options
      11/1: 8.5 miles
      11/2: 6.7 miles
      11/3: 3.6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
      11/4: Rest
      11/5: 14 miles
      11/6: NYCM spectating!
      11/7: 3 miles
      11/8: 3 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)

Ankle/shin still weird, but felt fine doing speedy stuff tonight, yet was super twingey after when I stopped and had to drive home. In the parking lot before I drove home, I did the hop test and nothing budged so I'm guessing this boils down to tightness SOMEWHERE. Just gotta foam roll it out.

Great workout tonight though. I did 1 mile at marathon pace, then 2.5 miles alternating 1 min around 5k pace and 1 min "easy", then the last 2.5 miles at/below marathon pace. I was definitely tired by the last 1 minute interval, but then cruising back into 7:45-and-faster territory was a breeze. Hopefully I'll be able to dial in to the same paces just as easily on race day!

exercise.png

Fall Race Season & Next Year:
      10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
      10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon: 1:42:24
      11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
      3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
      5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• HonuNui
      HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
      Options

November Goal: have as much fun running as Lily the Whippet does!

11/1 6.50
      11/2 got distracted by some silly ball game...
      11/3 3.20
      11/4 2.05
      ...and off for a couple days as I travel to Vegas to meet with the whole famdamily including son who was supposed to be dead by now!
      11/5, 6,7 travel
      11/8 2.50

Total: 14.25

@Ohhim lol.....I have no doubt you will have crossed the finish line before my corral hits the start line! But if you are still hanging around Caesars an hour later, I'd just love to meet and shake the hand of "Ironman". For us it's also family reunion in Vegas.....90yo dad,sis,son and significant others

Upcoming races:
      Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
      Options
      I just noticed something interesting. I had been playing around with the Danie's tables spreadsheet and I put in my 15k time recorded on my Garmin, from my last HM. The predicted 10K and 1 mile times were within seconds of my Garmin recorded 10k and 1 mile PRs. I thought that was pretty sweet.
    • MobyCarp
      MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
      Options
      November Running Totals (miles)
      11/1 – 1.77 easy
      11/2 – 2.09 easy
      11/3 – 2.43 (1.67 + 0.76) easy
      11/4 – rest day
      11/5 – 2.60 easy
      11/6 – 3.19 (2.60 + 0.59) easy
      11/7 – rest day
      11/8 – 2.15 easy

November total to date – 14.23

Nominal Challenge Goal – 30 miles
      Real Goals: Continue recovery. Complete Race with Grace 10K on Thanksgiving without setting recovery back, even if I have to walk most of it.

Today's notes – Last PT session today, unless something else bad happens. Went to club practice, and did the full warmup at an average 9:21 pace. I'd like to say I was just hanging with some slower runners to keep my pace down, but reality is that's probably about what I could handle this evening.

Talked to Coach about how to train to come back. He says I should try to run maybe a half mile farther, then cut back, then add, a kind of rolling pattern to adding distance. The classical idea is to add to longer runs on the weekend, but since I'm retired the day of the week doesn't matter that much. After I left, I thought that even if I were still working the day of the week wouldn't matter much when we're talking about building back up to 5 miles.

After talking to Coach, I decided to let this evening go with just the warmup, and count this as the cut back after the new long distance on Saturday and Sunday. I'll see what feels good tomorrow.

2016 races:
      January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
      January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
      March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
      March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
      April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
      April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
      May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
      June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
      July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
      August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
      September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
      September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
      October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
      October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
      November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
      December 11, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL)

2017 races:
      January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
      April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    • T1DCarnivoreRunner
      T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
      Options
      Got a few miles in tonight, finally finishing right at about last light. exercise.png
    • OSUbuckeye906
      OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
      Options
      11/1: 3 miles
      11/2: rest
      11/3: 4 miles
      11/4: 3 miles
      11/5: 7 miles
      11/6: 5 miles
      11/7: 3.6 miles
      11/8: 4.4 miles

TOTAL: 30/70

Thanks for all the positive responses to my incident yesterday. Stay safe out there, everyone!

4.4 miles at an easy 10:20 pace today on the treadmill. Tomorrow is a planned rest day as I'm going to try to stay up for the election results and I have dinner plans after work tomorrow, so probably won't be able to get a run in. I haven't had much time to read posts from today, so I'll have to go back and get caught up.
    • ereck44
      ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
      Options
      November running challenge.

Still working on my base....going to increase to 10 miles per outdoor running....and, for treadmill...rolling hills with intermittent speed drills.

November 1st.....Moody Blues concert
      November 2nd....9 miles at average max heart rate of 77%. Temperature was in the 70's, head wind on mile 4, started going faster instinctively, then remembered that these were to be slow miles working on my base. Noted sore hamstrings and glute muscles at miles 6 onward.
      November 3rd....rest day (dentist)
      November 4th...rest day
      November 5th..rest day...Breeder's Cup racing on TV
      November 6th...9 miles at average max heart rate of 77%.
      November 7th...work
      November 8th....4.04 miles on the treadmill, rolling hills...max heart rate of 79%. Still training in the zone...3 hours of sleep after working all night. 50 minutes of weight lifting session.

Total for the month....22.04 miles
      Goal.....80 miles.

Will try to run outdoors tomorrow.

• k80flec
      k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
      edited November 2016
      Options

exercise.png

1st: 2.25 miles - MTD 2.25
      2nd: 1.18 miles, strength training and Pilates - MTD 4.43
      3rd: 2.51 miles C210k - MTD 6.94
      4th: 0 miles - MTD
      5th: 2.39 miles - MTD 9.33 Wk5:D3 C210k - as I get back to running
      6th: 0 miles, but some good miles walking - MTD
      7th: 2.53 miles run/walk, Wk6:D1 C210k, strength training and Pilates - MTD 11.86
      8th: 2.65 miles, ((ETA) ran with the return to running group at my club Wk6:D2 C210k - MTD 13.51