Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    11/1: 3
    11/4: 4.2
    11/6: 6
    11/8: 3

16.2 of 60

Beautiful little run this morning. It felt great to get out early for a change.

Happy running!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited November 2016
    11/1- 4 miles solo plus 1 mile with Stella
    11/2- 0.8 miles with Stella (AM)+5 miles lunchtime run
    11/3-5 miles AM + 1 mile with Stella
    11/4-Rest Day
    11/5- 10 miles
    11/6-7 miles +1 mile with Stella
    11/7-Rest Day
    11/8- 5.1 miles solo + 1.1 mile with Stella(who killed it...pace PR for her!)

Lovely AM run. Beautiful fall morning. Even caught a little glimpse of the sunrise before the clouds took over. Did 5.1 easy miles then came home and grabbed Stella for one more. She did so awesome. Even set a PR pace of 8:51 with only one stop to poop (I paused the Garmin, so the pace doesn't include the stop. Hey, she's still a newbie, I have to give her the benefit of the doubt!). Anyway, I am getting to the point where I enjoy that run with Stella more than running alone and I look forward to it through my whole run. It's a nice motivator. Hoping to add another quarter mile to our route next week. She definitely does better when she knows where we are going. If my neighborhood wasn't so full of shout cul de sacs, I think we could really get something going!

@MNLittleFinn - I also jog back down the hills but that is only because my legs tend to do better if they stay in the running rhythm. The do not like the idea of run/walk. But that is all just personal preference. As long as your HR drops back down into zone 1, which is easy to do with a longer hill, you are getting the benefit of the workout. Also, congrats on the mile PR! That's what all of that slow running will do for you!

exercise.png
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: 3 miles (m)
    11/2: Rest Day
    11/3: 3 miles
    11/4: 3 miles (m)
    11/5: 3 miles
    11/6: 2.75 miles
    11/7: 3 miles (m)
    11/8: 3 miles

My Total/November: 20.75 miles
    Mike's Total: 9 miles

Uneventful run this morning with Fergus. The weather was just a little cool and misty; just the way I like my fall mornings. Started off at a very slow pace for the first mile and then picked it up for the last two. Overall I felt good. No major aches or pains. The right hamstring felt a bit strained at about one and a half miles, but seemed to be fine after a short bit and gave me no more trouble the rest of the way.

@OSUbuckeye906 I'm glad you are safe and that you reported the incident. I would have been really freaked out by that. Since I run mostly in the early morning, the time change actually worked in my favor as I am able to hit the greenbelts earlier now and will be able to go longer before work if I want to. On the downside, this means that it is darker for my evening walks which I now do less of on the greenbelt and more of on the lit roads. I must say though, there are no sidewalks where I live, so you have to pretty much walk in the street. With the way folks drive, I am not entirely sure it is much safer walking the streets than it is the greenbelt in the dark. At least you can see the cars coming, though.

@katharmonic Close call with the skunk! Now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever seen a skunk around here. I know that we have them. I guess I will just consider myself lucky that I haven't run into one.

@greenolivetree I am so glad that you had a good run! Seems like you needed it.

@Orphia I'm happy that your run went well. Thanks for the video. I suspected that this might be the case. I have been trying a few of the dynamic stretches and plan to incorporate more before my running. My knees aren't strong enough for lunges, but I can do most of those other moves. I will try incorporating some after my bike ride and before my running...and especially on days when I don't ride first.

Have a great day everyone!

Upcoming Race:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX

Yay! My ticker is working again!

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @lporter229 Thanks. It's nice to see that the result of the slow running paying off. It also just encourages me to keep slow, which is why I'm thinking about just doing a fast mile at the end of a run each week, just to get the need for speed and work some speed back into things slowly.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    @MNLittleFinn For hill training, I prefer a light jog down the hill, but only because it's actually easier on my body. I'm one of those weirdos who loves running downhill. And, congrats on your mile PR!

@OSUbuckeye906 Wow, scary! Stay safe! My friends and I run a path behind an old state mental hospital at night - night being 6:30 pm in the fall/winter months. We always run in a group, with a rule that no one gets left by themselves and everyone carries a phone. Some of the old hospital buildings are now halfway houses for recovering addicts/alcoholics, so we've seen sketchy people along the path.

To add to the freaky factor, there is a "cat village" in the trees - people have caught feral cats, had them spayed/neutered, and re-released them. The village is a grouping of cat houses back in the trees, where people leave food, water, and toys for the cats. So, when running around there at night, we always catch a glimpse of cat eyes in our headlamps.

Writing the above, I'm questioning yet again why in the heck we run there after daylight at all!!

@vcuellar21 Welcome!

I was only able to run a tiny bit, since we've had to move our Girls on the Run practice indoors due to loss of daylight. We start at 5:30 pm and it was pitch black last night. We didn't worry about rounding up headlights for everyone since it was our last running practice. The last two meetings will consist of a service project and our season-end celebration. The season has gone fast and I can't wait to see how the girls do at the big 5k this weekend!

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    I ordered a subscription to Runner's World from my son's school fundraiser, and my first issue arrived yesterday. That was really fun to read, very inspiring.

I'm still running, but my depression is really kicking my butt. It's hard to function right now. I just came back to work after a week long vacation and it's been really difficult getting adjusted. Pretty much the only time I feel even remotely okay is when I'm running, which is why I'm not going to give up on that. And with the time change, and it getting dark super early, it's going to make things even harder. I'll be doing a lot of treadmill running for a while.

I'm thinking about the Turkey Trot I signed up for later this month, and I'm starting to chicken out. I want to skip it. I'm afraid of the crowds, and running on an unfamiliar course. But mostly it's the depression telling me I'm not good enough to run in a race like this, that I'd be better off just running on my own.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    so, zulily has smartwool on sale, and they have compression socks/sleeves. Looking at the socks, they only have 1 size too small, I need a medium for socks, but the sleeves I could potentially get in small (11.5-14.5) or medium (12.5-16.5). Sale price is $18 as opposed to $35 for the sleeves or $18 as opposed to $38 for the socks. Do I go for one or the other?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I ordered a subscription to Runner's World from my son's school fundraiser, and my first issue arrived yesterday. That was really fun to read, very inspiring.

I'm still running, but my depression is really kicking my butt. It's hard to function right now. I just came back to work after a week long vacation and it's been really difficult getting adjusted. Pretty much the only time I feel even remotely okay is when I'm running, which is why I'm not going to give up on that. And with the time change, and it getting dark super early, it's going to make things even harder. I'll be doing a lot of treadmill running for a while.

I'm thinking about the Turkey Trot I signed up for later this month, and I'm starting to chicken out. I want to skip it. I'm afraid of the crowds, and running on an unfamiliar course. But mostly it's the depression telling me I'm not good enough to run in a race like this, that I'd be better off just running on my own.

I love Runner's World.

Now the only way to find out if that depression is right, is to make the run an see for yourself :wink:

I hate crowds too. People stress me out. But I sure enjoy bearing half of them, or trying too! The "free" bananas, water, shirt, and finisher medal and standing amongst others that have taken on a similar challenge are also nice.

Best of luck! I hope you feel better soon.
  • MNLittleFinn

exercise.png
    You
    're totally good enough to run it. You've made amazing gains in yout running in a pretty short amount of time. This time of year totally sucks, my wife is having similar issues as you are, but you're both doing the right things, getting out there and running or walking, or any outside activity really helps with things. If running is your escape (it's mine) you've already found a great coping mechanism. If you can fit time in for small increases in mileage/duration, you'll increase your happy time, as I call it, and the effects will last longer too. Keep your chin up, you're doing great!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    @MNLittleFinn I've found the running sleeves do nothing for me as far as calf soreness, ect. They do keep my legs a bit warm when the temps get into that weird temp range of too cold for shorts but too warm for the tights. DO NOT get them too tight, they are a PIA getting on when you get the right size, probably impossible if you get them too small.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    11/1 - 5.1 miles. Gorgeous 62° morning to run!
    11/2 - Slept in. Stayed up too late cheering the Cubs victory!
    11/3 - 5.32 miles. Trek class / treadmill
    11/4 - 4.7 miles.
    11/5 - 3.5 miles. Easy, short run with my 10 year old son.
    11/6 - Rest / crazy busy day.
    11/7 - 5 miles.
    11/8 - Bodypump class.
  • MNLittleFinn
    5512bf wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I've found the running sleeves do nothing for me as far as calf soreness, ect. They do keep my legs a bit warm when the temps get into that weird temp range of too cold for shorts but too warm for the tights. DO NOT get them too tight, they are a PIA getting on when you get the right size, probably impossible if you get them too small.

Thanks for the info. It's mainly for when I'm not running, I never feel sore when I'm running, it's all about recovery for me.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    It's another terrible dreary day but I'm still basking in last night's run. LOL I hope to get out there again tonight. I spent 2.5 hours last night going back and forth, not wanting to go out because it felt so late with the darkness setting in so early. So hopefully tonight I'll be able to push right through that.

My back is still awful achey and no clue what's up with that. I've had low back pain for years and I've had upper back pain for years, but this is smackdab in the middle and feels like somebody jumped on my back or something. I wouldn't run if it was low back pain that hurt with impact but this is just like I'm crazy sore and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm walking, running, moving, etc. It's just stiff and achey.

@RespectTheKitty I'm sorry you are struggling with the depression, but good job keeping up the running. Think about all you've accomplished already with your running - you can do that race! And that medal will be a great reminder to look at the next time you're feeling not good enough :) Maybe you can make a book or a wall of running accomplishments to look at :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    For the record, I really hate the fact that elevation for different programs is so widely different that I can't really know which one to believe.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    PT this morning, the last visit unless my issues flare up or something new happens. The PT was OK with my determination to do a 10K on Thanksgiving Day, subject to determining how much of it I need to walk. Most importantly, she thinks I'm healthy enough and have enough stuff I can do at home that I can get better simply by training smart and doing the exercises.

Rest day yesterday, won't run till this evening; so no mileage update right now. But I'm pretty happy with the prognosis.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    For the record, I really hate the fact that elevation for different programs is so widely different that I can't really know which one to believe.

Logic tells me that if one hill is a 50ft climb, and I run up it 5 times, that should be 250ft.....but they never seem to calculate it that way!
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Okay, I have a question. There's some running terms I don't quite understand no matter how much I read up on it. Maybe it's a math thing because my brain pretty much checks out when too many numbers are involved.

What is "easy", "tempo" and negative split?
    I do you define your pace for a 5K, half marathon and marathon?
  • MNLittleFinn
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    Okay, I have a question. There's some running terms I don't quite understand no matter how much I read up on it. Maybe it's a math thing because my brain pretty much checks out when too many numbers are involved.

What is "easy", "tempo" and negative split?
    I do you define your pace for a 5K, half marathon and marathon?

In a nutshell, and others can explain it better.

Easy and Tempo refer to paces and/or heart rates. Easy is, basically, when you can run and hold a conversation. Tempo is a bit faster than that, z3 for heart rate, for me that's like 164-174 beats per minute. Negative splits are when you run a mile split faster than the previous one or, in a marathon or HM, run the second half faster than the first.

Pace for 5k, HM and marathon are simply the pace at which you can run to go that distance. the longer the distance, the slower the pace.