November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Just wanted to check in quickly. I have been having some difficulty breathing and some strange chest pains and Mike has asked me not to run until I can see my doctor. I have an appointment this afternoon so hopefully I will be back on track tomorrow.

I hope you feel better soon. My husband gave me a firm "No more running until your back is better" Tuesday night.

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options

Just wanted to check in quickly. I have been having some difficulty breathing and some strange chest pains and Mike has asked me not to run until I can see my doctor. I have an appointment this afternoon so hopefully I will be back on track tomorrow.

Yikes, get to the doctor asap. Cyber hugs and healthy vibes sent your way.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    November walking miles

1---6.24 
    2---travel/pt/doc
    3---3.1 walk, 25 minute swim, 2.8 walk
    4--- travel
    5---3.19
    6,7,8--- Nada, pt, Nada
    9---4.7
    10---4.77

24.80/50+
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim A great race report, and again, such a fantastic achievement!

@lissadecker Hope all is well for you, resting up is definitely the right things

I'm currently down and out on the running front. I woke up on Monday almost unable to put my foot down as it hurt so much, which I can only assume came from when I rolled my ankle slightly on some uneven ground on my Sunday run. It didn't hurt even a bit at the time but that's the only source I can think of. By the end of the day on Tuesday it felt OK, Wednesday just a bit of stiffness and today I haven't felt it at all, despite being on my feet nearly all day and getting over 10,000 steps in. So tomorrow will have one more rest day before I get back to it over the weekend.

Never mind, this was supposed to be a cutback week anyway, it just meant I've cut back about 6 miles more than I planned to. Plus, I've caught up on work and life with all my free evenings (I haven't even cross-trained), which can only be a good thing :)
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy
    11/2 - 4.49 - Easy
    11/3 - 6.49 - Easy
    11/4 - 5.21 - Easy
    11/7 - 6.21 - Easy
    11/9 - 6.21 - Easy
    11/10 = 6.27 - Easy

Total - 39.70 of 150

Pretty much a nondescript run this morning. Running temps are fantastic right now, high 40's with mild 5-8 mph breeze.

@Ohhim not sure I could "commit" to my sport in the fashion you did. Still major props for that race.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I was checking the weather forecast, and I'm pretty tempted to run 12 miles for my Long Run on Saturday. It's supposed to be clear skies and in the lower 30s, really lovely weather for this time of year. Also, if I start running at around 0600, I'll be able to run in an almost full super moon and in sunlight. The thought just sounds lovely.

Not totally related: I only have 11 miles to reach my annual goal! with 6 miles tomorrow, and whatever I run long for on Sat, I'll be there!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    39.14% of goal

01-Nov: 7.90 miles
    02-Nov: 3.94 miles
    03-Nov: 5.86 miles
    04-Nov: 5.76 miles
    05-Nov: 10.38 miles
    06-Nov: <Life Day>
    07-Nov: 10.58 miles
    08-Nov: 4.10 miles
    09-Nov: 8.07 miles
    10-Nov: 4.08 miles
    11-Nov:
    12-Nov:
    13-Nov: <Life Day>
    14-Nov:
    15-Nov:
    16-Nov:
    17-Nov:
    18-Nov:
    19-Nov: - planned HM day
    20-Nov: <Life Day>
    21-Nov:
    22-Nov:
    23-Nov:
    24-Nov:
    25-Nov:
    26-Nov:
    27-Nov: <Life Day>
    28-Nov:
    29-Nov:
    30-Nov:

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    12-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins
    03-Dec: Reindeer Run (10K), Macon
    26-Dec - 01-Jan: Random running in JAPAN!
    14-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins
    04-Mar: Albany/Snickers HM, Albany
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    11/1: 3
    11/4: 4.2
    11/6: 6
    11/8: 3
    11/10: 4

20.2 of 60

exercise.png
    Training for:
    1/15/17: Key West Half Marathon

Out and back on the LRT with DW alongside on her bike. Tonight was a tempo run on my schedule, but I wasn't really feeling speedy. I did a little pace pickup in mile two, but pretty much jogged the rest. Lovely evening here even though it's getting dark waaaay too soon.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    11/03: 2.57 miles - 6x(2 min walking/3 min running)
    11/06: 2.88 miles - 6x(1.5 min walking/3.5 min running)
    11/08: 2.84 miles - 6x(1.5 min walking/3.5 min running)
    11/10: 3.11 miles - 6x(1 min walking/4 min running)
    Total: 11.40 miles

Notes:
    In all the election "excitement" over the past few days, I forgot to post about my last two run!
    I've been feeling really strong lately! Today was 6 intervals of 1 min walking/4 min running. Only one more walk/run interval set to do this week, then I will finally be back to continuous running! I have such a great feeling about this comeback; I know there are many amazing runs and PRs in my future <3

@AdrianChr92 - Those shoes look awesome! Love the color too
    @Orphia - Awesome shirt!!! Can the rest of us get one?
    @MobyCarp - Sounds like your recovery is going well! Hoping for continued success
    @Ohhim - Great race report! And once again, amazing job

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @ariceroni good to see you are getting back into the swing of things
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    11/1: 8.5 miles
    11/2: 6.7 miles
    11/3: 3.6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    11/4: Rest
    11/5: 14 miles
    11/6: NYCM spectating!
    11/7: 3 miles
    11/8: 3 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    11/9: 4.5 miles
    11/10: 5.5 miles (am), no pm run

Decided to skip the group run tonight. I put on all my running stuff, packed up my reflective gear, and walked ~4 blocks to the running store. In those 4 blocks, my ankle locked up, my shin felt like it was about to buckle twice, and my ankle felt like it was spasming. So I decided that rest and dinner > running. Hoping tomorrow I wake up and my ankle is just magically realigned, and I can get a few miles in tomorrow instead :/

The ankle/shin issue is weird because the hobbling and weakening comes and goes. If this was a serious issue (like a stress fracture), it would be constant, especially when moving and it wouldn't just go away after a while; typically stress fractures become MORE sore with impact, not less. Plus nothing is sore to touch where I'm sensing weak spots when I'm running. All very weird. ALSO I looked through my training notes, and I had these same "roving aches" and "weak feelings" in my shin LAST marathon taper, so maybe it's a weird, bizarre healing thing that's making me crazy? IDK. Just hope it's all fine by 11/20!

exercise.png

Fall Race Season & Next Year:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon: 1:42:24
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Decided to skip the group run tonight. I put on all my running stuff, packed up my reflective gear, and walked ~4 blocks to the running store. In those 4 blocks, my ankle locked up, my shin felt like it was about to buckle twice, and my ankle felt like it was spasming. So I decided that rest and dinner > running. Hoping tomorrow I wake up and my ankle is just magically realigned, and I can get a few miles in tomorrow instead :/

The ankle/shin issue is weird because the hobbling and weakening comes and goes. If this was a serious issue (like a stress fracture), it would be constant, especially when moving and it wouldn't just go away after a while; typically stress fractures become MORE sore with impact, not less. Plus nothing is sore to touch where I'm sensing weak spots when I'm running. All very weird. ALSO I looked through my training notes, and I had these same "roving aches" and "weak feelings" in my shin LAST marathon taper, so maybe it's a weird, bizarre healing thing that's making me crazy? IDK. Just hope it's all fine by 11/20!

Weakness that comes and goes was one of the warning signs I didn't understand before my last two trips to physical therapy. It might be worth your time to go see a PT just to evaluate where you have issues; it's not necessarily the body part that hurts or feels particularly weak. I still have intermittent weakness in my ankle and aches in my shin; but I know those are related to the Achilles tendonitis, and I'm working on making that get better.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Weakness that comes and goes was one of the warning signs I didn't understand before my last two trips to physical therapy. It might be worth your time to go see a PT just to evaluate where you have issues; it's not necessarily the body part that hurts or feels particularly weak. I still have intermittent weakness in my ankle and aches in my shin; but I know those are related to the Achilles tendonitis, and I'm working on making that get better.

Interesting that those would connect with AT! It's crazy the way things are connected from the knee to the big toe. I'd be more concerned if this hadn't happened at this exact point in time during my last taper, but since it's nearly the exact same symptoms I'm chalking it up to taper madness. But that reminds me that I really should start looking into doctors around here... just in case.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    6 miles this evening. My legs felt super tired. Definitely ready for a rest day tomorrow. :smile:

Can't get to my ticker right now, sniff. I'm currently at 43.45/100 miles.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    @Orphia - Awesome shirt!!! Can the rest of us get one?

@ariceroni So happy with your progress!

Yep, anyone can use my shirt design.

Here it is:

DB4DA35A-7F05-4FAD-9A7B-A8F6FDDE316F_zpsueycskol.jpg~original

You can save the design and then order it to be printed at any print store that does T-shirts.

I ordered mine from http://www.zazzle.com/ which has the New Balance tech tops with reflective elements.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    hurray!!! I actually managed a run!!

Have really been struggling with getting out of bed to do a morning run, which in the warmer months I love doing, but perhaps I just need to suck it up and get out after work.

I admit, it was on a treadmill. I ran to the gym, then hopped on the treadmill trying to keep my pace slow to see what 'Zone 2' was like. Boy was it slow. I was running at 3.6mph, which is basically me walking briskly, but with a running gait. I CANNOT get my heart rate down though. I mean, my heart rate is only zone 2 for walking, otherwise it's way up.

For now, I'm just going to go with the easy pace runs stuff, mostly to get back into running. If I can, I'll do a more accurate lactate threshold run test at the weekend. My problem with the pace based on 5k/10k times is most of my running is on trail and I haven't ever done a FLAT 10k. (nor do I much want to - I LOVE undulations!!!)

I had to go to the gym because I feared if I didn't go last night, I'd never get back into it.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

@lissadecker - hope you got a good report from doctor!
    @kristinegift - You should be good for 11/20!

The temps are perfect here in Orlando for running in the early morning. Hoping for a colder winter (Fl winter) so I can run after work for a couple months.

Can't bike tomorrow because going to a programming competition with my students ... so another run!

11/1 - 4.3 miles
    11/2 - strength training
    11/3 - rest day
    11/4 - 4.5 miles + strength training
    11/5 - 34 miles biking
    11/6 - 9 miles
    11/7 - 3 miles
    11/8 - 4.1 miles
    11/9 - rest/mourning day
    11/10 - 5 miles
    11/11 - 4.1 miles + strength training

Upcoming races
    11/30/16 - I/ITSEC 5K
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    11/1- 6.05
    11/2- 6.13
    11/3- 6.01
    11/4- 6.12
    11/5- 10.25
    11/6- Rest
    11/7: 6.05
    11/8- 6.01
    11/9- 6.02
    11/10- 6.14
    11/11- 6.01

Total: 58.78/150

Today's notes: It was an embrace the suck kind of day. A nice combination of headwinds and hills made for a 154 average HR, and more z3 time than I should have had, even with walk breaks to bring my HR down somewhat deep into z2. I'm definitely feeling the 30 miles I've put on my legs since my rest day on Sunday. Tomorrow's 10-12 mile long run will be SLOW, and I know it.

On n a happier note, it's the 11th, and I'm 8 miles past the 1/3 point for my goal, and only have about 5 more miles to go to meet my goal for the year.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 5.1 miles. Gorgeous 62° morning to run!
    11/2 - Slept in. Stayed up too late cheering the Cubs victory!
    11/3 - 5.32 miles. Trek class / treadmill
    11/4 - 4.7 miles.
    11/5 - 3.5 miles. Easy, short run with my 10 year old son.
    11/6 - Rest / crazy busy day.
    11/7 - 5 miles.
    11/8 - Bodypump class.
    11/9 - Slept in. Election "hangover"
    11/10 - 5.32 miles. Trek class / treadmill (oddly, exact same distance as last week)
    11/11 - 5.04 miles. Windy.

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date:: :::: Miles :::: Nov total (goal = 75)
    11/01/16 :::: 5.7 :::: 5.7
    11/02/16 :::: 2.9 :::: 8.5
    11/03/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 10.7
    11/04/16 :::: 2.0 :::: 12.7
    11/05/16 :::: 6.4 :::: 19.1
    11/06/16 :::: 2.5 :::: 21.6
    11/07/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 21.6
    11/08/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 21.6
    11/09/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 24.0
    11/10/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.0
    11/11/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 26.5

This week is not going too well on any fronts, but I did get out for a run this morning. The temps are dropping today so I'm glad I got that done. I apparently didn't fully start my Garmin for the first .4 miles or so, that was annoying.
    I'm fighting some kind of sickness so I'm taking the day off from work. Well, I'm working from home I should say because if I don't get this grading done I will lose my mind and the students will mutiny. Hot tea and and honey and reading student papers on the couch for me.