November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    11/1- 6.05

Total: 6.05/150

Today's notes. I'll flat out admit it. I went too fast on miles 1-3 this morning, and I paid the price in HR on miles 4-6. It felt VERY good with average paces of 9:52, 9:58 and 9:51, with average HRs of 146, 153, 155, I was feeling good.

However, right about the time I hit the uphill on mile 4, the 17mph headwinds when I was heading east, and my previous paces caught up with me.

I eeked out the run with an average HR just barely in z2 at 154 (156 is top), so, I learned my lesson there! However, I will say that it is nice to see that I can run somewhat faster and keep my HR down, as miles 1-3 showed.

Looking forward to running smarter tomorrow and getting in another 6!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i slept in. it felt good. i don't feel guilty at all. today i sign up for some races. sadly, stepdaughter has a hairline fracture on her tibia and mom says no running. so she won't be able to do the two races we had planned in december and january.

november 24th-Turkey Trot 5k
    december 3rd-Santa Hustle 5k
    february 11th-Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Club Run 8k
    may 6th-Door County Half Marathon
    june 4th-North Olympic Discovery Marathon
  • Christinah920
    Christinah920 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Excited to join this challenge! Just started running this year. Goal for this time next year is to complete Rock n Roll marathon. I'll go with 50 miles as my goal for this month!!

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've got one more week of training for the first week of November, then 2 weeks of taper and a marathon. Those 3 weeks = 129+ miles. So I'm going to go low and say 150 miles for November so I feel absolutely no pressure to tack on miles after the marathon.

I should have followed suit. I set a goal of 200 miles (cut only 50 miles from my usual goal). I have the Huntsville Half in 2 Saturdays, and then I will begin my taper for RCM the last week of November. We will see. Whatever I do, I will do. This month's goal will be just a suggestion for me. I'm going to play it smart this month.

Might as well ask my first November Question now, before the month starts for real....I'm reconsidering my choice to make this week a cut back week. I'm not really feeling like I need one, I just scheduled it because I had 3 weeks of building mileage. What's the thought on cutbacks? Should I continue with it since I planned it, or just go back to my 6 milers? Feeling kind of conflicted on this.

@MNLittleFinn You can make it every 3 weeks or every 4 weeks. There is no set way to enact them. Ryan Hall would run hard 6 weeks then take the 7th week easy (as taken from the Bible).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Morning happy note. It's pretty cool sending an Email through a website and getting a real response to your question from the author of the book you read.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    ^^^^^ Please share?
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I sent an EMail to Matt Fitzgerald about the training plans in 80/20 Running, since I'll be putting in more MPW than the beginning of his plans say. He said:

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your message. If you're accustomed to taking a day off from training every week, go with the Level 1 marathon plan. It would entail a reduction in volume in the early weeks, though. If you feel comfortable training seven days a week and resting only once every 21 days, go for the Level 2 plan. Good luck!

pretty standard type of reply, but it's cool having a known person tell you good luck.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for November
    10/1 9 miles - 9 << 5 above VT 4 below VT

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 5.1 miles. Gorgeous 62° morning to run!

Been looking ahead to 2017 and mulling a few new goals. Maybe a full? Maybe a tri? Haven't been swimming for exercise in 25+ years, but it is in there somewhere. Would need a bike. The tri sounds more fun to me than a full for some reason.

Thoughts?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I know this is slightly OT, but I was wondering... am I the only one having trouble with TickerFactory? I created my ticker, but when I go back and try to update it, adding my current cumulative value, it just doesn't register and my little runner girl stays on the "0" value :disappointed:

Did you put the correct password/pin in? Did you click 'Next' at the bottom after entering or adding the new mileage?

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    k80flec wrote: »
    I'm new to the group, although I've been stalking the thread for about 6 weeks!
    @k80flec A Stalker - Sounds like a perfect fit for this group. Welcome to the Gang.

@Marissaxzxzxz I envy your "lovely bright morning" We have had a month of Dull and Dreary - or as my neighbor who has Scottish roots would say A lovely day in Scotland.

@francescacoscia16 In this group nothing is OT. Every once in a while TF seems to go into overload and does not do the immediate update - yet when I go back to it for my next entry it will show the correct distance value.

@Christinah920 Welcome to the challenge!
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: 3 miles (m)

My Total/November: 3 miles
    Mike's Total: 3 miles

At the end of October, my daily run was around 2 - 2.5 miles. I'd like to have that up to at least 3 for this month. Started out well today with a 3 mile run. Mike has been with me for 4 days in a row now. I am going to start logging his runs for him. Overall it was a good run. My left leg is still feeling a bit tight and sore, but less so than yesterday.

Have a great day everyone!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I sent an EMail to Matt Fitzgerald about the training plans in 80/20 Running, since I'll be putting in more MPW than the beginning of his plans say. He said:

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your message. If you're accustomed to taking a day off from training every week, go with the Level 1 marathon plan. It would entail a reduction in volume in the early weeks, though. If you feel comfortable training seven days a week and resting only once every 21 days, go for the Level 2 plan. Good luck!

pretty standard type of reply, but it's cool having a known person tell you good luck.

That is pretty cool.

Not related to running, but authors: I met an author at a NYE thing last year (political). There were hundreds of people and it was about 120-130 miles from where I live, but I still knew a lot of people there. Someone I knew introduced me to an author, and I hung out with him, his wife, and a small group of people for awhile... well after most others had left and staff was cleaning up and putting stuff away. His book is about the politician holding the event (the book sold a lot of copies during the primaries) and he even Tweeted a photo of me (which has a lot of followers) that night.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I know this is slightly OT, but I was wondering... am I the only one having trouble with TickerFactory? I created my ticker, but when I go back and try to update it, adding my current cumulative value, it just doesn't register and my little runner girl stays on the "0" value :disappointed:

@francescacoscia16 The ticker will catch up. Mine is always the previous mileage for about an hour and then it updates to the correct total. It's a recent glitch in the last 2 weeks or so. Just post it and it'll fix itself :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 4 miles

4 out of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    11/1 - 4 miles

4 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

First run on the road to awesome this month. you got this!
  • tiffmjo
    tiffmjo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner. I hate it. But I really want to love running and maybe this will help!

I'm going to set my goal at 50 miles. And I want to try to actually RUN at least 20 of them.