November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    11/1 - 5.1 miles. Gorgeous 62° morning to run!

Been looking ahead to 2017 and mulling a few new goals. Maybe a full? Maybe a tri? Haven't been swimming for exercise in 25+ years, but it is in there somewhere. Would need a bike. The tri sounds more fun to me than a full for some reason.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with that! I'd love to do a tri. Tell ya what, I'll put a sprint tri on my calendar for 2017 if you do :wink: .

Anyone else ready to jump in the tri boat?

Good luck on the bike. Check the LBS (local bike stores) for used bikes. I have a road bike- I'll have to do.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy

Total - 5.02 of 150

Easy one today to start off the month. As I was running through my hood this morning it was a challenge to not stop and pick up dropped candy on the side of the road, all that extra chocolaty running fuel just sitting there all sad. I don't think in my day there was ever a "man down" while trick-or-treating.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Been looking ahead to 2017 and mulling a few new goals. Maybe a full? Maybe a tri? Haven't been swimming for exercise in 25+ years, but it is in there somewhere. Would need a bike. The tri sounds more fun to me than a full for some reason.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with that! I'd love to do a tri. Tell ya what, I'll put a sprint tri on my calendar for 2017 if you do :wink: .

Good luck on the bike. Check the LBS (local bike stores) for used bikes. I have a road bike- I'll have to do.

Walmart has a Huffy for $99 that I have been eyeing for months. I've been tempted to do that and then go out with all the real bikers and their $3000 titanium bikes.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dang, already 5 pages behind!

With two trips and a holiday this will be a busy month but it's also the official start of my ultra training. I'm going to set a goal of 90 miles with 30 of that on trails.

Upcoming Races & Events

11/13/2016 - KU Vets Day 5K - Lawrence, KS
    11/25/2016 - Black Friday Run - Minneapolis, MN
    12/03/2016 - Donut Day 25K <- 25k run with stops at 5 donut shops along the way
    01/28/2017 - Securian Winter Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/25/2017 - PsychoWyCo Run Toto Run 20 Mile Trail Race - Kansas City, KS
    04/29/2017 - Chippewa 50K Trail Race - New Auburn, WI
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I know this is slightly OT, but I was wondering... am I the only one having trouble with TickerFactory? I created my ticker, but when I go back and try to update it, adding my current cumulative value, it just doesn't register and my little runner girl stays on the "0" value :disappointed:

I've noticed it for the last few days. However, I know that it does later update to whatever you put it so just watch it and see if your miles don't automatically update later in the day
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Thoughts?

Walmart has a Huffy for $99 that I have been eyeing for months. I've been tempted to do that and then go out with all the real bikers and their $3000 titanium bikes.

Oh Stan and you'd probably give them a run for their money too!

Mines carbon, it was ~1500$ on sale. Totally worth it. My first one was 200$ used REI road bike. It's was spectacular too. Definitely tri worthy.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    tiffmjo wrote: »
    I am not a runner. I hate it. But I really want to love running and maybe this will help!

I'm going to set my goal at 50 miles. And I want to try to actually RUN at least 20 of them.

I used to say the same thing! It took several tries (giving up and starting over) but once I finally managed to run 3 miles I was hooked :)

@jlscherme @AnnyisOK @mikaylaellendysart @heathermramsey Welcome to the group :)

@stoshew71 My Huffy is a little girl's bike so if you at least get a full size adult bike you'll be ahead of me :-p I've still gotten some nice friendly waves from "the real cyclists" in their spandex, riding bikes that cost more than my car is worth. LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    I can't seem to figure out where to put my ticker...

@AnnyisOK You can put it at the bottom of your post. :-) I know, smart aleck.
    Did you read the instructions in my original post on the first page carefully?

You want to chose the image that ends in .png from your ticker entry. Then copy and paste it here with the image tags surrounding it. Just like the example I used for mikaylaellendysart above...
    how do you add your ticker?

You add the img tags around it like this:

[.img]https://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/ws6FHx2/exercise.png [./img]

but remove the dots to get this....

exercise.png

I did. lol I was trying to figure out how to put it in my profile.

Ohhhhh! I could never figure that one out. I just only know how to post in the forums. I didn't think there was a way, but now I see people posting pictures on their newsfeeds. But in your actual profile, I don't think MFP allows for that.

I think you used to be able to do that, but I don't think it works anymore.

@elise4270 Skip would jump right on that with you, except she has to wait until after high school. Between cross country, indoor track and outdoor track she has no time to train for a tri. It's on her bucket list though.

@stoshew71 does E have a bike you can use? Pretty pink with a bell... ding ding :wink:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to figure out where to put my ticker...

@AnnyisOK You can put it at the bottom of your post. :-) I know, smart aleck.
    Did you read the instructions in my original post on the first page carefully?

You want to chose the image that ends in .png from your ticker entry. Then copy and paste it here with the image tags surrounding it. Just like the example I used for mikaylaellendysart above...
    how do you add your ticker?

You add the img tags around it like this:

[.img]https://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/ws6FHx2/exercise.png [./img]

but remove the dots to get this....

exercise.png

I did. lol I was trying to figure out how to put it in my profile.

Ohhhhh! I could never figure that one out. I just only know how to post in the forums. I didn't think there was a way, but now I see people posting pictures on their newsfeeds. But in your actual profile, I don't think MFP allows for that.

I think you used to be able to do that, but I don't think it works anymore.

@elise4270 Skip would jump right on that with you, except she has to wait until after high school. Between cross country, indoor track and outdoor track she has no time to train for a tri. It's on her bucket list though.

@stoshew71 does E have a bike you can use? Pretty pink with a bell... ding ding :wink:

She actually does. LOL it's even too small for her now.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Woke up to put in my goal for the month and see 100+ posts already...

Last month I ran 90. With my sister visiting and the Thanksgiving break, I will set a modest increase at 100. Another goal is to run a HM distance long run this month.

The last few weeks, I unintentionally kept my weekly miles more or less constant (at 21 mpw) with variation in distances of each run and I felt more strong in my last long run. I am contemplating adding more miles to this week, keep it there for the next few weeks and see if I really feel better increasing my mileage in this way.

exercise.png
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers! I joined recently myself but love this challenge.

The rain finally let up for a minute and it was so much more pleasant. I need to figure out better rain gear since I live in rainland and will be running outdoors all winter. I'm thinking a waterproof jacket is going to be overkill, so I just may have to accept that I'm going to get wet and cold. Bleh.

1: 3.06 (fast finish)

Goal: 3.06/80

exercise.png

Next Race: Jan 15/17: Ice-breaker 8K
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Sign me up again! Although I'm taking it easy this week with walking only (although I may run this Friday), and with a week off over Thanksgiving, I'm going to try and commit to another 100 miles.
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :)
    I am currently doing C25K but I usually keep walking after the 30 minutes workouts are over, so my goal for November is to run+walk 80 km. It's small but it's something!
    8 km done today :wink:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Since I left the October challenge hanging in midair for the sake of a little rest and relaxation, I am starting off this month feeling extra rejuvenated. I finished October with 97.9 miles, which is right around my total for last year. October is historically my lowest mileage month, although last year I struggled to get back in the swing even in November because I had a marathon hangover after training hard for Columbus.

This month I will begin focusing on Boston. I am not really planning on doing anybody's training plan other than my own. Compared to previous marathons, I will be going a bit more low mileage and much less speed work (thanks for all of you valuable input on that subject in the October thread). Definitely will have more focus on strength training too. That said, this will be another relatively light month, although more on par with my usual than October was. I'm gonna set goal at 130 miles this month, including those with my doggie. I am hoping to get her more on a regular running schedule as well. We are going to train for a race in May!

Happy November everyone...feels great to be back!

exercise.png

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Even though I completed 91 miles last month, not sure about weather, work schedule, etc for this month. So planning to complete 80 miles as a goal.

Still working on my base....going to increase to 10 miles per outdoor running....and, for treadmill...rolling hills with intermittent speed drills.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    First run of November! Why is it 72 degrees out?

I was still a bit worn out from Sunday, so I kept it easy today.

exercise.png

• sandyymca
    sandyymca Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi! This is my first running challenge and first time using a ticker. Idk if I am doing this right. My goal is 2 miles every day. That's seems maintainable, I think.

exercise.png