November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Now a sprint triathlon is not very far. I have faith that everyone here could do it if they wanted too. Half mile swim, 12 mile bike ride and 3.1 miles running. Easy peasy!

12 miles on the bike could be done on a little girls huffy, @Stoshew71 .

1---6.24 walking miles. *kitten*- missed pt today. I wrote the wrong date down.

My sore foot and cranky knee are getting better. I went back to my inov8's yesterday and today. My gait feels better too. I feel like this could be the month I add some running back in.

@MobyCarp You set a good example. From killer miles to a goal of 30 miles this month. That takes serious willpower. I'm going to remember to reign it in and build slowly. Thanks.

6.24/50+

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm in, not sure how much though. I'll tentatively go for 90 miles, but may drop back to 80 if I have any issues.

Must also try to be a better thread participant this month, I've been so over-busy recently that I'm slacking. Promise I'll be more friendly this month :smile:
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Now a sprint triathlon is not very far. I have faith that everyone here could do it if they wanted too. Half mile swim, 12 mile bike ride and 3.1 miles running. Easy peasy!

12 miles on the bike could be done on a little girls huffy, @Stoshew71 .

1---6.24 walking miles. *kitten*- missed pt today. I wrote the wrong date down.

My sore foot and cranky knee are getting better. I went back to my inov8's yesterday and today. My gait feels better too. I feel like this could be the month I add some running back in.

@MobyCarp You set a good example. From killer miles to a goal of 30 miles this month. That takes serious willpower. I'm going to remember to reign it in and build slowly. Thanks.

6.24/50+

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half

How many laps is a half mile? If I can't use a raft while holding a vodka lemonade, can I doggy paddle or do the side stroke? LOL! Ok...I can swim, but I'm just really bad, and it feels like I'm doing so much effort to go hardly anywhere. I'm not exaggerating. We had to swim laps in high school as part of gym class, and I was always one of the last 2 people to finish. I have a crappy mountain bike from Target, and could easily ride 12 miles on it and can do a slow 5K with my out of whack hamstring but should be fine next year. I think I'd rather just run 15.6 miles though. Ha ha!! :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @BEERRUNNER hmm... Maybe a new sport similar to the beer mile? LOL! The vodka half!

For 1 mile swim outlet.com says:

"The overly-simple answer is this: To swim 1650 yards or meters in a measuring 25 yards or meters, you would need to do 66 lengths of the pool. In a pool measuring 50 yards or meters you would need to do 33 lengths."

Still easy, even with a vodka lemonade on a floaty! And a huffy. :lol:
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Yikes. 66 laps? From memory, I can barely do one or two. I never learned how to swim with my face in the water. I hear swimming is easier in a wetsuit, but I'm thinking just getting in the wetsuit is going to require a lot of alcohol :p Maybe that alone will make me more buoyant? Also not great on a bike. I have a decent mountain bike, but after about half an hour, my sitting bones are dang angry. Everyone tells me I'll get used to it, but I never do.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    11/1: 3 miles

Completed my planned slow/easy 3 miles for today. I had a little tightness near my left achilles last night after my run which I thought had gone away today, but it reappeared during my run today. Tomorrow is a planned rest day, so hopefully that will help to nip that in the bud.

Also, it was pretty breezy during my run today and the trail I run on is mainly through some wooded areas. A huge gust came along and knocked a small loose branch onto my head. I'm okay, just a small mark near my eyebrow, but it definitely made me think of @kristinegift 's story from the other day :D
  • BeeerRunner
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So a 1/2 mile swim would be 33 lengths of a 25 yard pool or 16.5 of a 50 yard pool? Oh yea...I'm with @RunRachelleRun ...no thanks! I would die! LOL! If there is a time limit, I'd be cut off. I think I was close to dieing after 8 lengths of the pool. My brother was on the swim team so you'd think I'd have some genes to be a swimmer, but I just get all nervous and panicky even thinking about swimming that much. Like how non-runners or new runners think running 3 miles straight is super long. (I was one of those people!)

I'll happily do the vodka Half plus a few miles though!!
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 Seems like lots of tree branch issues lately!! Glad you are OK, and hope your achilles feels better soon!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim I was actually looking at the plans in the book. They are 2 weeks longer than the Garmin plans are.

I've been playing with the garmin plans a bit, but they have been annoying me, as the HR they give for various zones (in the workouts) do not match my customized HR zones, so I'd have to go in and change all of the values it looks like....ugh

As it is, I'm working on my own plan, toning back the speed work and increasing mileage at the beginning, as I should be in the 40+mpw range at 16-18 weeks out from the marathon, and I'm not sure I want to cut back as much as I would if I strictky followed the plans.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    As it is, I'm working on my own plan, toning back the speed work and increasing mileage at the beginning, as I should be in the 40+mpw range at 16-18 weeks out from the marathon, and I'm not sure I want to cut back as much as I would if I strictky followed the plans.

Dang @MNLittleFinn, The way you're going after this marathon, you're going to crush it! 150 miles in November? I only had two months that high and only one of those was during my marathon training. 40+ mpw at 16-18 weeks out? I was at 33 mpw 16 weeks out. Looking back I only see 3 weeks (out of 16) during my marathon build up that were over 40, and none over 50. Granted, I did have an Achilles injury which knocked down my mileage towards the end or I may have had a few more weeks over 40.

Maybe that explains why I didn't make my goal time.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Forgot my ticker!

exercise.png

OMG - love this ticker! Don't know how I missed it. Although I'm more of a cookie eater than pie eater.

@Stoshew71 - you don't have to spend $3K for a bike. But you are right, some of the cyclists in my group have spent more than that. One guy supposedly spent $15K for his bike. It looks just like all the other bikes to me! And it's not like he goes faster than me! Mine is a $1200 Cannondale -- but it is 2 years old almost exactly... and I'm getting the itch!

@elise4270 - If it wasn't for swimming in open water, I'd be interested in a tri. But I just can't fathom the thought of swimming in open water for some reason. Alligators.

@ohhim - I can never keep up with the dates of your races! I congratulated you last week for your TRI that was supposedly last weekend. Well... good luck - whenever it is!

@MNLittleFinn - very cool on author answering you!

@7lenny7 - what is that wood for? Asks the Floridian.

Ticker has been slow the last two weeks! Weird. As a programmer I'm thinking... but you are just updating the database. What are you sending it to another database and it hasn't synced yet?
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited November 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Dang @MNLittleFinn, The way you're going after this marathon, you're going to crush it! 150 miles in November? I only had two months that high and only one of those was during my marathon training. 40+ mpw at 16-18 weeks out? I was at 33 mpw 16 weeks out. Looking back I only see 3 weeks (out of 16) during my marathon build up that were over 40, and none over 50. Granted, I did have an Achilles injury which knocked down my mileage towards the end or I may have had a few more weeks over 40.

Maybe that explains why I didn't make my goal time.

Actually, this week is a planned 38 miler, and I'll "hopefully" have have 40 each of the next 2. my weeks are 6-6-6-6-6-10 until the week of Thanksgiving, then I'll do a cutback, and hopefully jump my long runs up to 12 for a while. This got me to thinking that I'd like to have my long runs out to 16 miles before I start "training" for real at 16-18 weeks out, so I'm basing my planning on getting up to that point at 20-21 weeks out so I'm used to the mileage before I even start "real training" though, in actuality, I'm treating this as one, but 7 month training plan

Running is my main/only stress relief so I take it seriously...LOL......
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    11/1: 8.5 miles

I am on day 1 of 2 of Awful Lady Cramps, so I was going to slack off and not run my scheduled 6 miles today, but then I was texting with a running friend of mine before I left work and she hadn't run yet today either, so when I got home I jogged a mile to her place and we did a 6+ mile route and then I jogged back home. Getting miles in was definitely better than laying in bed, watching Jane the Virgin on Netflix (new obsession), and eating Halloween candy for dinner... but barely ;)

exercise.png
    ^^It probably says October and 281 still; OH WELL. I CHANGED IT, I REALLY DID.

Fall Race Season & Next Year:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon: 1:42:24
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

exercise.png

1st: 2.25 miles - MTD 2.25

@07KatieP13 - yes, your programme is a little different. (Mine is brisk 5 min warm-up walk, jog 3, recover 90 sec, jog 5, recover 2.5, jog 3, recover 90sec, jog 5, cool down walk 5 min = 31.5 min)
    @francescacoscia16 - the ticker has been playing up for about a week or so now. It does eventually post the correct information.

Changed my mind and did Wk4:D3 C210k with my running club Back 2 Running group.

Edited for typo
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Mental battle going on. I want to run but I also want to be a bum and watch tv.......and what the heck is wrong with my gut?! I've been having issues since Friday. And still have the congestion crud going on. And it's hot outside. As you can see I have plenty of excuses! I technically only have 4 miles to run by Thursday to hit my weekly goal.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I love Jane the Virgin! One of my favorite shows
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Updated for 11/1

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    November Running Totals (miles)
    11/1 – 1.77 easy

November total to date – 1.77

Nominal Challenge Goal – 30 miles
    Real Goals: Continue recovery. Complete Race with Grace 10K on Thanksgiving without setting recovery back, even if I have to walk most of it.

Today's notes – The hurt leg felt pretty good this morning, so I decided I'd go to club practice and see if I could make it through the warmup. I have got into a pattern of running however far the leg will tolerate, then stopping and doing my stretches for recovery; today the leg tolerated 1.77 miles. That was almost a full 2 mile warmup, and I actually did a lap on the track. I *could* have physically done one more lap to break 2 miles, but I've come to recognize the point where I should stop pushing for more.

I'm not seeing a lot of progress with being able to add distance, but I'm seeing progress in speed of recovery. I don't know how much of that is true healing and how much is that I've learned to quit before I mess myself up too bad; but I'll take it. One day at a time, for now.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    December 11, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL)

2017 races:
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp good to see your recovery continues to go well. I hope you continue healing and thst your 10k is something you can at least run completely, if not fast.