November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Also, I learned that running against a strong headwind really... blows.
    Ahh. I see what you did there. :wink:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 @louubelle16 @lissadecker Thank you.... I seemed to develop the left shin pain last Sunday, last mile of my run. I had run 3 days in a row which I haven't done lately so maybe that did it? I've run 3 days in a row plenty of times but not lately. Both my main shoes are ones I've been in since January and have 300-350 miles. I've been running a few miles here and there in new ones. I really think I just overdid it last fri-sun. I'm stretching and rolling and icing. It's not terrible but I don't want to make it worse. It hurt sun/tues/Fri- worse each time. So maybe a week off? I dunno.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for November
    11/1 9 miles - 9 << 5 above VT 4 below VT
    11/1 5 miles - 14 << Daily Double 5 below VT
    11/2 5 miles - 19 << 5 below VT
    11/3 9.5 miles - 28.5 << 9.5 below VT
    11/3 5 miles - 33.5 << Daily Double 5 miles below VT
    11/4 5 miles - 38.5 << 1 mile above VT and 4 miles below VT
    11/5 13 miles - 51.5
    11/6 REST DAY
    11/7 5 miles - 56.5 << 5 below VT
    11/8 6.2 miles - 62.7 << 6.2 below VT
    11/9 4 miles - 66.7 << 3.5 below VT
    11/10 5 miles - 71.7 << 5 below VT
    11/11 2 miles - 73.7 << easy shake out run
    11/12 14.1 miles - 87.8 << HHM + 1 mi warmup
    11/13 REST DAY
    11/14 4 miles - 91.8 << easy recovery
    11/15 7.3 miles - 99.1
    11/16 4 miles - 103.1
    11/17 8 miles - 111.1 << ~3 miles above VT & 5 miles below VT
    11/18 4 miles - 115.1
    11/19 20 miles - 135.1

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

20 mile LR this morning with a head cold sucks. But got it done. Last big long run. Going into my taper next week.

Spent most of the day trying to get rest.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 @louubelle16 @lissadecker Thank you.... I seemed to develop the left shin pain last Sunday, last mile of my run. I had run 3 days in a row which I haven't done lately so maybe that did it? I've run 3 days in a row plenty of times but not lately. Both my main shoes are ones I've been in since January and have 300-350 miles. I've been running a few miles here and there in new ones. I really think I just overdid it last fri-sun. I'm stretching and rolling and icing. It's not terrible but I don't want to make it worse. It hurt sun/tues/Fri- worse each time. So maybe a week off? I dunno.

I don't really know how to fix it. That's one injury that I cant seem to prevent. I backed my mileage down and made sure the surface wasn't cambered. The shoes could be the culprit. And even if your mileage hasn't changed, your intensity could have. Or with 300+ miles, or 6+ months on your shoes, it's probably time for new ones.

Mine still flares up. I fully anticipate having issues with it as I return. Mine is left medial shin. I push in with 2 fingers and flex/extended my foot several times. release, and repeat until the knot is gone. It seems to help. I saw 2 docs over it and no help at all. Thankfully, I have a great pt I'll see if it gets bad again.

Of course, working on hip adductors/abductors could also help. Definitely take a few days off if it hurts to run.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I also ran some faster miles last weekend. Mine is left leg, inner, right where shin meets calf. Years ago every time is try to run I'd have front shin pain and give up. But this is new and frustrating because it's yet another in a string of setbacks. I'm apparently injury prone. I always get new injuries, never repeats. Maybe I'll eventually run out of injuries! I have other new shoes to try and probably should more aggressively phase out the old 2. They just look so good! Don't look at all like they need replaced. I'm really still so new to running, I haven't tried a bunch of shoes. I started in 2014 in Skechers that weren't really running shoes (I know that now. Lol.) And then ran in some Pumas in 2015. This year is my first year of running every month without huge breaks. So who knows, new shoes could be just what I need. Oh, and I do lots of leg lifts/clamshells/bridges/donkey kicks to try and prevent injury :-/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree That's great that you do the hip exercises. I wish I had been better at them! I have no go to shoe, I'm still figuring out what works for me. I think I'm injury prone too.

Least there are some good sales on shoes this time of year. I just ordered my second pair. I sold the "I need different shoes to rotate" idea to DH. He didn't argue even though I'm not running yet. :smiley:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November Goal: have as much fun running as Lily the Whippet does!

11/1 6.50
    11/2 got distracted by some silly ball game...
    11/3 3.20
    11/4 2.05
    ...and off for a couple days as I travel to Vegas to meet with the whole famdamily including son who was supposed to be dead by now!
    11/5, 6,7 travel
    11/8 2.50
    11/9 3.40
    11/10 travel
    11/11 family reunion/travel/playing cards/arguing politics/walking for miles in Vegas
    11/12 ditto
    11/13 6.38 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k....and more family reunion drama (tl:dr....family sometimes sucks....)
    11/14 travel/15 hour airport layover, redeye overocean flight
    11/15 nap...may try a treadmill run later....(didn't happen)
    11/16 3.20
    11/17 delayed jetlag
    11/18 3.60
    11/19 4.07......and baked 4 pies, 1 quiche, 30 dinner rolls and steamed 4 loaves of Boston Brown Bread... first T-day I've had off in 9 years.....I'm COOKING!

Total: 38.00

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:
    exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    OK, I give in, I never thought I'd say this....but....any good recommendations for running tights for winter? I'm looking at temps possibly below 0F for running, but pants get too baggy at times.
    @MNLittleFinn The first time I bought Running Tights I didn't realize that they came in different weights - Material Thickness - and the ones I got were great for early Fall/Spring but not heavy enough for our winter. I now have 4 pairs 2 heavier and 2 light ones. I think any reputable brand should be good. I have Gore ( winter)and Nike ( spring/fall) because that is what the Running store had in my size. The first time you put a pair on it does feel weird to "Model them in the mirrors" to see how they look/feel. For my own personal modesty I always wear a light weight Recreational pant's or Shorts over them. Its nice to get a pair with reflective piping-colors and a small pocket for the emergency $20.00 and House/car key.
    Orphia wrote: »
    14 km trail run today with 6 parkrun buddies, up two mountains.
    518 metres of elevation! 207 Fitbit floors.
    It was warm, and felt tougher than a half marathon, but it was so much fun!

@Orphia WoHo Great Job and Great Pictures - especially like the group at the bottom showing where you are going with the Mountain visible in the background and top of the hill showing the Table lands below you where you came from. Always a real feeling of accomplishment to Peak out.
    Now you will have to introduce your friends to the concept of 2 peaks - 2 pubs.
    Like you said felt tougher than a HM. Only a truly addicted runner can call 518m of hills "Fun".
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    November running challenge.

Still working on my base....going to increase to 10 miles per outdoor running....and, for treadmill...rolling hills with intermittent speed drills.

November 1st.....Moody Blues concert
    November 2nd....9 miles at average max heart rate of 77%. Temperature was in the 70's, head wind on mile 4, started going faster instinctively, then remembered that these were to be slow miles working on my base. Noted sore hamstrings and glute muscles at miles 6 onward.
    November 3rd....rest day (dentist)
    November 4th...rest day
    November 5th..rest day...Breeder's Cup racing on TV
    November 6th...9 miles at average max heart rate of 77%.
    November 7th...work
    November 8th....4.04 miles on the treadmill, rolling hills...max heart rate of 79%. Still training in the zone...3 hours of sleep after working all night. 50 minutes of weight lifting session.
    November 9th....6 miles outdoors.
    November 11th....4.54 miles, rolling hills at max heart rate of 81%. Only 4 hours of sleep after working all night. May be my last run for the week due to family coming to Indiana, then busy work week afterward.

November 18....So unable to run for a week. Had a great visit with my mother and sister, and I bought a new student flute (at an antique shop). Woo hoo! Then 3 nights in a row at work! I slept for about 3 hours and then drove to the Monon trail to run 9 miles. I had a cramp in the left calf prior to getting started, but just shook it off. I was doing well until mile 5 when my left knee really tightened. I decided to reduce my run to 8 miles and slowed my pace. My heart rate monitor wasn't picking up. It was beautiful weather but my run sucked. I really struggled the last mile with my left knee tightening so much. Not sure what went wrong...if I needed to warm up before running. Afterwards I noted that my legs felt better with jumps but felt the tightening with walking. I decided to skip the run on Saturday and rest. Will try again on Sunday...my knee still feels tight both around my left knee and mid-calf. Probably only run for 4 miles on Sunday.

November 18....8 miles

Total for the month....40.58 miles
    Goal.....80 miles

• LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    November running

11/01: day off
    11/02: day off
    11/03: 3.5
    11/04: day off
    11/05: 4.25
    11/06: day off
    11/07: 3.5
    11/08: day off
    11/09: 3.5
    11/10: day off
    11/11: day off ugh!
    11/12: 4.25
    11/13: 3.5
    11/14: day off
    11/15: 3.5
    11/16: day off
    11/17: 3.5
    11/18: day off
    11/19: 3.5

Total: 33
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    11/1: 8.5 miles
    11/2: 6.7 miles
    11/3: 3.6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    11/4: Rest
    11/5: 14 miles
    11/6: NYCM spectating!
    11/7: 3 miles
    11/8: 3 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    11/9: 4.5 miles
    11/10: 5.5 miles (am), no pm run
    11/11: 4.4 miles
    11/12: 10 miles
    11/13: 5.5 miles
    11/14: 3.3 miles
    11/15: Rest day finally!
    11/16: 6 miles
    11/17: 3 miles with the Thursday crew
    11/18: Rest/expo day
    11/19: 3 miles

3 slow, chatty, excited miles this morning to shake out the cobwebs before the big day. I AM SO EXCITED. I am not injured. I am not having a Lady Time. I am not riddled with anxiety. I feel really good about tomorrow which is not something I've ever felt before a marathon before. Spending the day eating, working from home a little bit, and watching Spirit of the Marathon while I do my last bit of race prep (painting my nails, packing my gear check bag, charging all my gadgets, etc.).

If anyone wants to track me tomorrow, the Philadelphia Marathon has a free app and I'm the only person with the last name Gift registered / I'm bib #2265 :)

exercise.png

Fall Race Season & Next Year:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon: 1:42:24
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: BQ-3 = 3:32 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

@kristinegift Good luck! Excited for you! I know you're trying to BQ, but what is your specific time/pace goal?

@OSUbuckeye906 Goal time is 3:32 (need about a 3 minute buffer to actually get IN to Boston these days, and my BQ standard is 3:35) and I'll happily take anything that's faster than that. Goal pace is ~8:00 by my watch, will be about ~8:05 by the clock if the course runs a bit long.

Wow! Good luck tomorrow (or rather later today)! I am so in awe of you marathoners!
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

exercise.png

16th: 0.86 miles running - treadmill, strength training and Pilates - MTD 21.81
    17th: 2.51 miles, speed, with a bit of hill training with my running club - MTD 24.32
    18th: 0 miles - MTD 24.32
    19th: 2.56 miles Wk7:D3 C210k. Tightness on outside of both calfs meant last 6 minutes were brisk walking, sharp sleet for a chunk of the run - MTD 26.88

Fleet feet and a good run for your marathon @kristinegift
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So, I have been thinking more and more about the possibility of running a marathon. I am encouraged by my progress so far, but I have only been at this for a couple of months and am running very slowly for no more than 5 miles at a time yet. The Houston Marathon is run in January. My understanding is that you can sign up for next year's race on race day with a guaranteed spot, avoiding the lottery. I could also at that time sign up for a warm up series which would include a half marathon in October, a 25K in November and a 30K in December along with the Marathon in January, 2018. So, I guess I have until January to decide if I want to commit to this now or take a chance on not being able to do it later if it fills up. I am just not really sure if I am being realistic. Will I really be ready to run a marathon in just over a year? Judging by what I have done so far, I would say it is not outside the realm of possibility...but a lot can happen in a year. So, while I spend the next two months (give or take) mulling it over, I thought I would ask if y'all had any thoughts or advice that might help.

@lissadecker I'm going to go against much of the accepted grain, and says that if it is a real target of yours then go for it. Having a year to do it in gives you a clear focus for how to spend the year, and enough time to build up the distance sensibly. Having the end goal is also a great motivator on the cold/wet/windy days when you might otherwise struggle to drag yourself out. As others have said it's not a straight linear extension from running 10K -> HM -> Full Marathon. I would personally say there are two things you have to be ultra realistic about before you commit:
    1) Aims for your marathon - is your aim just to finish? If so, you will be able to do it but it may not be as pleasant an experience as if you took another year to get there for example.
    2) Time - Are you dedicated to doing this and can you fit it in? As your runs get longer you are going to have to commit much more time to running and related activities, and your long runs could be 3-4 hours long towards the end of the year, and your "short" runs could easily be 1hr+ several times a week. Does your home/work situation allow you to do this? Do you have partner/family support (if applicable)?

I will caveat all of above by saying I have never done a marathon myself, (but like you looking to do one quite quickly). However, I do have some experience in endurance events (i.e. 100mile cycling sportives) - admittedly from quite a few years back, but it gives me confidence about my ability to get there, as well as an understanding of things like training plans, nutrition etc.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Held off my planned long run until lunch time to try to let the worst of the storm pass before I headed out. Was still *very* windy when I went out but most of the rain had passed. Anyway, set out for 18k+. However, my left achilles was slightly tight and just couldn't shake it off. Between 5km and 7km my right knee joined in - probably where I was subconsciously trying to compensate. I started to pay more attention to my form at this point and the knee was better instantly, but unfortunately the tendon seemed to get tighter. Stopped a couple of times to try to stretch it out, and would be better for a kilometre or so then return but eventually decided to stop about 11k when it started to get a little worse, (fortunately I had decided to do a loop run and was near home at this point). Fine now after shower and stretch, but rest/stretch/roll tomorrow then will see how rest of week goes.

exercise.png
    2-Nov: 13.1k - 3 laps of hilly route.
    4-Nov: 6.26k - Planned 11k easy, but cut short as very stiff/tired.
    7-Nov: 11.25k long run.
    9-Nov: 6k fast
    12-Nov: 18k long run [Distance PR] Very wet.
    14-Nov (AM): 5.1k easy. Wet and sluggish (no warm-up)
    14-Nov (PM): 10k as 5k tempo + 5k intervals
    16-Nov: 8.3k - 2 laps of hill circuit
    19-Nov: 7.4k trail run at approx HM pace.
    20-Nov: 11.5k long run - had hoped for longer but tight left achilles.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    OK, I give in, I never thought I'd say this....but....any good recommendations for running tights for winter? I'm looking at temps possibly below 0F for running, but pants get too baggy at times.

I have two pair of running tights. My New Balance Impact tights are good for 35F down to about 10F. Anything colder than that and I pull out my SmartWool PhD tights. I wore them down to -7F (-23F windchill) last year and they were still warm enough. I am investing in a pair of wind shorts for this year though. Last winter I almost froze my junk. If it gets really cold you could put your running pants over the tights.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    A quick marathon-stalk on @kristinegift, puts her on-pace I think?

c5j2oqjyrlim.png
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I have two pair of running tights. My New Balance Impact tights are good for 35F down to about 10F. Anything colder than that and I pull out my SmartWool PhD tights. I wore them down to -7F (-23F windchill) last year and they were still warm enough. I am investing in a pair of wind shorts for this year though. Last winter I almost froze my junk. If it gets really cold you could put your running pants over the tights.

SmartWool tights. Dang. Didn't know that was a thing that existed. Must check it out.

The wind shorts are a wise investment. And then there's always this.

I'm sipping coffee now and warming up to the idea of getting out the door for my first real cold weather run of the season. Just looked at the thermometer and it said 26.2F. Must be an omen! ;-) Not at all windy this morning, so this shouldn't be bad at all.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift was 2:34:58 at 30k
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - they are cycling tights but you might find Sugoi Subzero tights useful for your Minnesota winter running. I wore mine for running all last winter and was very happy with them.

Go @kristinegift !!!

Date:: :::: Miles :::: Nov total (goal = 75)
    11/01/16 :::: 5.7 :::: 5.7
    11/02/16 :::: 2.9 :::: 8.5
    11/03/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 10.7
    11/04/16 :::: 2.0 :::: 12.7
    11/05/16 :::: 6.4 :::: 19.1
    11/06/16 :::: 2.5 :::: 21.6
    11/07/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 21.6
    11/08/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 21.6
    11/09/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 24.0
    11/10/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.0
    11/11/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 26.5
    11/12/16 :::: 7.2 :::: 33.7
    11/13/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 36.8
    11/14/16 :::: 2.8 :::: 39.5
    11/15/16 :::: 5.6 :::: 45.1
    11/16/16 :::: 2.7 :::: 47.9
    11/17/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 47.9
    11/18/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 50.0
    11/19/16 :::: 7.3 :::: 57.3
    11/20/16 :::: 3.0 :::: 60.3

Three miles done this morning with Stella along the canal. It was chilly but not horrible because the trees blocked the wind, and there was just a little mixed precip. Now the snow has started again but nothing sticking yet. I'm glad to have gotten the run done and can now stay inside toasty warm and watch the snow fly.

I'm at 80% of the mileage goal for the month with 10 days left, so it's looking good.