November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I just realized that there are only 2 more days left in the month!

It looks like I'm going to squeak by my goal with just 2-3 miles to spare. Since I'm adding in other cardio and cutting back some on mileage (Long Runs are same, just a higher % of weekly miles) I'm thinking that next month's goal will not be as high.

No, don't try to take a day away... there are 2.5 days left. I can get my mileage in yet with no problem once I correct my ticker MTD.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    No, don't try to take a day away... there are 2.5 days left. I can get my mileage in yet with no problem once I correct my ticker MTD.
    OK, OK, there are 2.5 days left...I didn't think about the afternoon/evening runners, since I was running at 0500 this morning....my oversight.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    HeatherMN wrote: »
    @7lenny7 That Donut Day run sounds awesome, but I'm already registered for another 5k that morning. My family is doing the Jingle Bear 5k in White Bear Lake. Congrats on your running purchases this week! Please let me know how you like your Vivosmart HR; I'm thinking about upgrading to one from my Fitbit Charge HR.

I've been a bit MIA lately. I had a horrific migraine on Wednesday and was a bit sensitive to light (read: computer and phone screens) the next few days. Then, we had family time and threw a party at our house.

My family ran a 5k Thanksgiving morning. I took it easy because I had spent the previous day in bed with that dang migraine. If I pushed too hard at the race, I got lightheaded, so I took a few short walk breaks so I didn't pass out. My pace was much better than I expected, considering. I finished in 33:40. This was also the first race that my son didn't run with me more than the first block or so - he PR'd with a 31:04 (faster than I've ever run a 5k). I'm so proud of him! He's finally gaining enough confidence in running to run his own race at his own pace. We're working on convincing him to give cross country a try.

Week #1 of marathon training is officially done and I'm on to week #2!

exercise.png

@HeatherMN Sorry about the migraine! Those can be debilitating for sure. Congrats to your son on his PR!

I've had my Vivosmart HR for about 5 days now and so far I like it quite a bit better than my Fitbit Charge. I can't compare durability (my Fitbits have had none, my Garmin is too new to comment) or HR functions (my Fitbit didn't have this feature) but the Vivosmart has much more info available on the screen and I prefer the Garmin Connect app & website over Fitbit's app and website. When I finally ditch the Fitbit I'll be able to uninstall the app. I try to minimize apps on my phone so that's a plus.

I just switched over to using the Garmin steps on MFP today. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, that changes. I do notice that Garmin tells me I've taken fewer steps than the Fitbit. I don't where some of those go. I have a hand-powered coffee grinder. Fitbit gives me 400 steps when I use it, Garmin gives me zero. That aside I still have fewer reported steps with Garmin than Fitbit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, particularly since my weight loss plateaued quite a while ago. Perhaps this is the difference I need to start losing again.

The notification feature on the Charge was so pathetic that I quit using it. It's solid on the Vivosmart.
    Syncing is easier and quicker with the Vivosmart
    Vivosmart gives me current and 4 day weather, which I like.
    Controlling my music apps on phone works well with the vivosmart. Not even sure if that's a feature with Fitbit.
    I've heard mixed review on the Garmin (or any mfr's) wrist-based HR detection. I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe it's not reporting accurately, but I also don't treat it as gospel. I intend to use it more for looking for trends day to day.
    I intend to keep using my Garmin Forerunner 220 for tracking runs so have not used the Vivosmart for that. Were I going to track runs with the Vivosmart, I would have bought the Vivosmart HR+ which has GPS.
    I noticed Vivosmart HR is now $100 on the Garmin website.

I intend to wear them both for another week or two to see if I find a consistent difference.. I'll have to remember to take off the Fitbit when I grind my coffee. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

@lporter229 great story! Sounds like an excellent day with the extended family!

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    01/11 3 miles - lovely bright morning, long may it last
    02/11 3 miles
    03/11 3 miles
    11/11 3 miles - I've missed a whole week! I caught a heavy cold in my chest where I could hardly get a sentence out without coughing never mind trying to run. It was totally self inflicted as I didn't dress properly for the huge drop in temperature when running the week before. Plus I was mental busy workwise so could read the posts I did see @5BeautifulDays is back so Welcome Back!
    27/11 3.5 miles - 1st run in over 2 weeks, too busy with work, I need to manage my time better cos its the same every year.
    28/11 3 miles - a bit sluggish as I ate my dinner before run. I've had good day today, started this morning with a full back massage as my shoulders and neck very really tight and stiff, did a little bit of work and then ordered a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline's on line. All the retailers are really buying into and pushing Black Friday & Cyber Monday thing over here now too and most of what's on offer this junk they couldn't move earlier on in the year.

exercise.png

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Had a horrible weekend, really should have run yesterday instead of sitting at home sulking. But anyway, went for a run today and feel awesome now, although running yesterday might have saved 24 hours of tears. Plus, got the results of my master's degree today and I officially passed, so that plus the run and I'm back on top :smiley:

I will meet my mileage goal at my club run on Wednesday, might need to do a few laps of the car park to get rid of that 0.12 I have lingering but I'll worry about that on Wednesday. Never thought I'd run 80 miles a month in a month where I had an injury, I'm so pleased with how my running is going. It's literally the best thing in my world right now.

November Running Challenge

2nd - 4.05 miles
    3rd - 4.27 miles
    5th - 4.60 miles
    6th - 7.28 miles
    7th-12th - injured
    13th - 5.37 miles
    15th - 3.20 miles
    16th - 3.40 miles
    18th - 3.08 miles
    19th - 8.38 miles
    20th - 4.03 miles
    22nd - 3.01 miles
    23rd - 5.50 miles
    24th - 3.07 miles
    26th - 10.03 miles
    28th - 4.61 miles

MTD - 73.88/80* miles
    *Adjusted down due to injury

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    November walking miles

1---6.24 
    2---travel/pt/doc
    3---3.1 walk, 25 minute swim, 2.8 walk
    4--- travel
    5---3.19
    6,7,8--- Nada, pt, Nada
    9---4.7
    10---4.77
    12---3.0
    14---4.45
    15---4.4, 0.1x2
    16---4, pt, 0.1x3
    17--- 5.16 walk
    18---3.71, 0.1x1
    19,20,21---nada, skiped PT, nada
    22---3.60, 0.1x1
    23---4.20 0.2x3
    24---1.11 walk
    25---5.05, 0.2x5
    26---3.85
    27---0.1
    28---3.90

71.27/50+
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Congratulations on the Masters, that is amazing! Time for a PhD or off to the job market?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    November Running Challenge:

11/1: Body Pump, 20 minutes on Stationary Bike (5.3 miles), and 1 mile on Dreadmill
    11/2: 45 minutes on Elliptical, substituted for 5 miles of running
    11/3: Rest Day
    11/4: 30 minutes on Elliptical, substituted for 3 mile run
    11/5: 1 hour 45 minutes on Elliptical, substituted for 11 mile run
    11/6: 3.2 miles: Dallas Marathon Social Run
    11/7: 45 minutes on Elliptical, substituted for 5 mile run
    11/8: Body Pump, 15 minutes on Stationary Bike
    11/9: 54 minutes on elliptical, substituted for 6 mile run
    11/10: Body Pump and 27 minutes on elliptical, substituted for 3 mile run
    11/11: Rest Day
    11/12: 3 miles running, 82 minutes on elliptical subbed for 8 mile run, yoga
    11/13: 54 minutes of elliptical substituted for 6 mile run
    11/14: 3 mile run
    11/15: Body Pump
    11/16: 4.5 mile run, 15 minutes of elliptical, yoga
    11/17: 3.2 mile run, Body Pump
    11/18: 6 mile run
    11/19: Rest Day
    11/20: 6.2 mile run in Wisconsin: Brrrr!!!
    11/21: 7.5 mile run in Wisconsin: 25 degrees….even colder, but fun running through the neighborhood and parks where I grew up.
    11/22: 3 mile run with Hubby to try to burn off the cherry cream cheese kringle we had for breakfast.
    11/23: 30 minutes of elliptical
    11/24: 7 mile run to earn my pumpkin pie, and it was a balmy 35 degrees in WI!!
    11/25: Rest Day
    11/26: 6 mile pace run
    11/27: 9 mile run
    11/28: 4.2 mile run

Cleared to run on 11/12!! 65.8 miles for November

Goal is to keep up with marathon training on elliptical until I can run again. However, I’m doing the elliptical based on average time to run scheduled mileage. New goal is to run, run, and run some more...gradually of course. ;)

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I may have to road trip in 2017 for this 25k Donut Run! I run for donuts and beer...quite literally!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - I may have to road trip in 2017 for this 25k Donut Run! I run for donuts and beer...quite literally!

@karllundy, I'm trying to figure out if I can do both the 25K donut run at 9am, followed by a 0.5K Winter Beer Dash at 11am. Unfortunately I don't think it's physically possible :(
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @louubelle16 Congratulations on the Masters, that is amazing! Time for a PhD or off to the job market?
    Thanks! I've been doing it part-time whilst working full-time anyway so the plan is just to keep doing what I'm doing and wheel it out come apraisal time when they mention salary and promotions :sweat_smile:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Thanks! I've been doing it part-time whilst working full-time anyway so the plan is just to keep doing what I'm doing and wheel it out come apraisal time when they mention salary and promotions :sweat_smile:

Same here - just finished up my master's last month... did that full-time while working full-time. I don't have plans to quit working immediately, but it should put me at an advantage in the future. That might be most useful in 10 years (or whenever I decide to look for another job).
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@karllundy, I'm trying to figure out if I can do both the 25K donut run at 9am, followed by a 0.5K Winter Beer Dash at 11am. Unfortunately I don't think it's physically possible :(

Only if you are Kenyan.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Me too!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    First open Sports Medicine appointment is December 27....All I can say is that I really hope I'm in a position to cancel that appointment by the time it comes around!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Me too!!

Donut Day is pretty awesome. Good people (loosely) in charge, and lots of excellent Minneapolis bakeries. I ran the 25K the first two years of this event and a shorter option one other time. I might see if I know anyone doing it this year. I'm scheduled for 10 on Saturday, so I can probably do some option that works. My club has manned a water stop in the past, but I'm not even sure that's still a thing. Have fun with it, @7lenny7!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    11/1- 6.05

I ended up running a little short and a little slow. My average paces for warm up and cool down were pretty much right on. Paces for intervals and rests in between were off. I think that this has to do with my timing hitting the lap button each time around. I wasn't very consistent at getting it exactly right, and there was always some lag for the TM speeding up/slowing down. Other than that, a good run.

After running came core work:
    50x crunches
    40x mountain climbers
    30x side crunches
    20x in and outs
    30x side crunches
    40x mountain climbers
    50x crunches

I didn't really ever feel the burn doing the exercises, but my abs were definitely feeling dead after the second set of crunches. All in all, it felt really good, and I'm clad I'm adding back in more core work. Hip felt pretty darn good, it only started to ache some 20 minutes later when I was sitting down driving...Moving doesn't bother it, sitting still does.

Hitting a target pace takes some practice. If you came anywhere close on the intervals, count it as a good workout.

I'm impressed with your mental toughness on that much core work. I hate core work, and don't do direct core work unless there's social pressure to do it with the team. Today's core work for me: 3 x 34 pull-ups (minor core benefit); 3 x 68 push-ups (3 disguised planks, somewhere between 60 and 80 seconds); 5 x each side Turkish get up with windmill at the top, using a 35 lb. kettlebell (hits a lot of stuff, but hits core hardest). The theme is, everything I do for core is mentally something else that happens to have a core benefit. I suppose I also got a bit of work on the erector spinae by holding good form on 3 x 10 squats with 85 lbs. of kettlebells held in the rack position.

But 2 x 50 crunches? I couldn't handle that, let alone the rest of your progression. If I had to do crunches, I'd rather do fewer reps with weight. (The TGUs have an embedded twisting crunch on the way up.)
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited November 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Hitting a target pace takes some practice. If you came anywhere close on the intervals, count it as a good workout.

I'm impressed with your mental toughness on that much core work. I hate core work, and don't do direct core work unless there's social pressure to do it with the team. Today's core work for me: 3 x 34 pull-ups (minor core benefit); 3 x 68 push-ups (3 disguised planks, somewhere between 60 and 80 seconds); 5 x each side Turkish get up with windmill at the top, using a 35 lb. kettlebell (hits a lot of stuff, but hits core hardest). The theme is, everything I do for core is mentally something else that happens to have a core benefit. I suppose I also got a bit of work on the erector spinae by holding good form on 3 x 10 squats with 85 lbs. of kettlebells held in the rack position.

But 2 x 50 crunches? I couldn't handle that, let alone the rest of your progression. If I had to do crunches, I'd rather do fewer reps with weight. (The TGUs have an embedded twisting crunch on the way up.)

Thanks. I actually enjoy the core work. My new hard thing is I'm kind of wimping out. Forecast for the morning says light rain for my normal run time, and I'm saying to myself why not go to the gym, the treadmill is kind of boring, but it's only 5 miles, and they you won't get soaked while running.....I'm waiting for the novelty of the treadmill to wear off.

doing TGU's with a 35# kettlebell? That's awesome! I nearly died when I tried it with my 12kilo one.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    November Running Totals (miles)
    11/1 – 1.77 easy
    11/2 – 2.09 easy
    11/3 – 2.43 (1.67 + 0.76) easy
    11/4 – rest day
    11/5 – 2.60 easy
    11/6 – 3.19 (2.60 + 0.59) easy
    11/7 – rest day
    11/8 – 2.15 easy
    11/9 – 3.10 easy
    11/10 – 2.04 easy
    11/11 – rest day
    11/12 – 3.70 easy
    11/13 – 3.64 easy
    11/14 – 3.05 easy
    11/15 – 3.38 warmup + easy speed work
    11/16 – rest day
    11/17 – 4.76 warmup + easy speed work
    11/18 – 4.25 easy + one stride
    11/19 – 5.18 easy + one stride
    11/20 – 5.00 easy to moderate
    11/21 – 5.05 windy
    11/22 – 5.26 warmup, easy speed work, cool down
    11/23 – rest day
    11/24 – 6.91 Race with Grace 10K + cool down run
    11/25 – 5.65 Black Friday Waffle Run
    11/26 – 7.21 easy with fast finish
    11/27 – 5.35 easy
    11/28 – rest day

November total to date – 87.76

Nominal Challenge Goal – 30 miles
    Real Goals: Continue recovery. Complete Race with Grace 10K on Thanksgiving without setting recovery back, even if I have to walk most of it.

Today's notes – Yesterday I looked at my weekly mileage and decided a rest day would be prudent for today. This morning I woke up and felt great, no doubt in part because I soaked up almost 10 hours of sleep. The legs felt fine while jogging the hallway to time the cooking eggs. Did my normal morning exercises, a mish-mash of stuff I want to do, stuff the PT has had me do, and stuff I've found helpful to support running. Then I deliberately set out to have a day when I didn't run.

Got lovely running weather, sunshine and a lot of time in the 50s; I think the day's high was 60 or 61. But I didn't go out and run in it. It can be hard to *not run* when I feel fine and the weather is great. But I know I have speed work tomorrow, and my range is great enough now to go do a social 6 mile run on Wednesday, then another round of speed work on Thursday, then I'll probably want to take Friday off before a short race Saturday morning. And the most important thing is still to avoid re-injuring myself.

So I didn't run today. I'll need to go walk a bit more to get my daily step goal in; that isn't a problem on days when I run.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY) finished in 42:38, First Senior (60+) Male
    December 3, 2016 Freezeroo #1 (Don Curran Memorial 5K) (Gates, NY)
    December 10, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL)

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn - just trying to catch up and see you have a sports dr appt. Hope you are okay.
    @7lenny7 - love the pictures with you and your daughter. My daughter made it home for Thanksgiving also and we had some fun runs together too. But no great pictures!
    @shanaber - I thought about doing a one mile warmup for the cycling instead of running my one mile afterwards but we leave so early to ride and also I eat before I ride, whereas I never eat before running. I may try it one of these days.

I'm on a four day field trip this week - so schedule is a little off. I shall continue the streak! Tomorrow I will just do 1 mile or so for the streak adn then Wednesday there is a 5K on the field trip. (It's a convention that has a 5K I should say ... my students aren't doing it.)

Endomondo says I've hit goal but my ticker shows 79. So who knows what happened there.
    Oh well, it's all good!

11/1 - 4.3 miles
    11/2 - strength training
    11/3 - rest day
    11/4 - 4.5 miles + strength training
    11/5 - 34 miles biking
    11/6 - 9 miles
    11/7 - 3 miles
    11/8 - 4.1 miles
    11/9 - rest/mourning day
    11/10 - 5 miles
    11/11 - 4.1 miles + strength training