No Alcohol November 2016 Challenge!

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
edited October 2016 in Motivation and Support
I see these "no alcohol" threads randomly throughout the year but I've never joined in on one. Well, since I drank so much this weekend and today I'm "clear" headed, this great idea to not drink any alcohol in November came to me about an hour ago! SUCH a GREAT idea, right? Till the weekend comes again then I'm going to say "Smurf it" like I always do after having these great ideas, lol. But this time it's for real. The hardest times will be the weekends for me but if some others want to join in, and maybe grumpily complain to each other so we know we're not the only ones looking for any excuse to throw in the towel, we might get through it! So, any takers?!

:smiley::smiley::neutral:

Replies

• suwala2t
    suwala2t Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I was going to do this anyway. I also struggle with this on the weekend with friends and family both. I remember a few years ago I did no drinking during lent and I felt amazing. Looking forward to this challenge once again.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    suwala2t wrote: »
    I'm in! I was going to do this anyway. I also struggle with this on the weekend with friends and family both. I remember a few years ago I did no drinking during lent and I felt amazing. Looking forward to this challenge once again.

I think my body/mind will feel a whole lot better after abstaining for more than a week at a time. Not to mention my bank account, lol. Who knows, maybe I'll even shed these last 5-8 lbs that have been hanging on for the past two years. I am going to find out!
  • suwala2t
    suwala2t Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    suwala2t wrote: »

I think my body/mind will feel a whole lot better after abstaining for more than a week at a time. Not to mention my bank account, lol. Who knows, maybe I'll even shed these last 5-8 lbs that have been hanging on for the past two years. I am going to find out!

Honestly when i gave up drinking for lent (about 1 and a half months), I hardly had to try losing weight, it just came off on its own. My problem has always been I lose weight during the week but gain it all back during the weekend. not saying this will be true for you, but it definitely makes losing weight much easier.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    @suwala2t , oh yes. Alcohol consumption has always been my biggest deterrent to weight loss. I'm just not unhappy with my looks, so it's never been a big enough deal to actually cut out alcohol all the way. But at this point in time, I think that having an entire month without it will benefit me in more ways than just the weight loss!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Too much of a beer drinker here.......
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Too much of a beer drinker here.......

I love beer. We have 2 types of German beer in the fridge right now. I'm going to be drinking it tonight as a final farewell (well, not FINAL final)!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ha! Yes! I was contemplating the same thing over the weeekend so i will join you. My problem is double when drunk me wants to Eat All The Food before going to pass out in bed. And even worse when i also wake up super hangry and eat even more poor choices.
  • Loriebick
    Loriebick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I WANT to do this, but I'm hemming because Thanksgiving dinner without a special bottle of wine to go with our turkey, well not sure I can do that ....... and the day after we will cut our tree and visit our favorite winery afterwards. Can I say no alcohol for the month except those two days?
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Ha! Yes! I was contemplating the same thing over the weeekend so i will join you. My problem is double when drunk me wants to Eat All The Food before going to pass out in bed. And even worse when i also wake up super hangry and eat even more poor choices.

Drinking doesn't usually make me eat more than I normally would but calorie wise it's just ridiculous (the alcohol consumption), lol. And the next morning work outs are always extremely lacking.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Loriebick wrote: »
    I WANT to do this, but I'm hemming because Thanksgiving dinner without a special bottle of wine to go with our turkey, well not sure I can do that ....... and the day after we will cut our tree and visit our favorite winery afterwards. Can I say no alcohol for the month except those two days?

heh heh. I think you can make what ever rules you want.

I will not drink for you on those two days. Done and done.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Loriebick wrote: »

You definitely can. My husband's bday is this month too and depending on what we plan, I'm not going to beat myself up if I drink one or two beers at the pub. It will be vastly less alcohol over the month than otherwise.

Thanksgiving will be different for me this year. Normally I'm at my family's house in Colorado and my cousins and brother and I all get very drunk off of wine. But this year DH and I are hosting here in Oklahoma and his family are not drinkers at all! Although hosting duties may lead me to getting a bottle of wine to have available, but that's far from now.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good luck
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    Good luck

Thank you! I will need luck, lmao.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Done it I'm T total
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I'm going to have a few beers tonight since it's Halloween, as my final send off! Lol. I told DH about my ambitious goals for November, so now I have to stick to it or look like a drunk fool :o:p
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Done it I'm T total

Not sure if drunk commenting, or......?
  • lucky2bhere
    lucky2bhere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was planning on doing this too - count me in!

The last time I took a full month of sobriety was 3 years ago.
    I won't be changing much else in my diet - keen to see just how much of an impact it's been having on my weight, mood and energy levels.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm keen!
    I don't drink much at the moment but would like to see if I can do a month with none.