No Alcohol November 2016 Challenge!

Options

Replies

• lucky2bhere
    lucky2bhere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So happy to have everyone!!!! Day one down, how did everyone do? Easy for me since I was so tired, lol. Husband made me dinner and I went to bed early. Ready for the gym now, woot woot!

Sad to say, day 1 was bad for me...
    I had friends over for dinner last night (which I planned 3 weeks ago) and prepped Tiramisu with chocolate liqueur in it.
    Couldnt help trying 1 shot of the stuff while cooking.
    Then figured I might as well have 1 glass of wine since I had already broken my resolve....
  • tamera_g
    tamera_g Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    onsickmom wrote: »
    The puffy will pass by day 10...I had that too....Heartburn is a bad sign of trouble headed your way...Get organic apple cider vinegar..One tablespoon in a small glass....Chug it....
    That's how my problems with indigestion started, drinking applecider vinegar. I heard it helped with weight loss and drank a shot each night before supper. Then I started having really bad indigestion, which I never had before. I don't want to drink that stuff again!

• blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    Well it's after dinner here and no drink on the menu tonight - planning on a nice cup of tea in my new teacup :)
    10% of November done.

I like your attitude!

brenda, (from Ohio)
  • blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Blwelch.....I remove myself from the situation...I don't go around people I drank with..When i get a bad crave that I can't seem to shake....Jason Stevenson has meditation talks...Close my eyes and listen...Then feel so happy to get thru it..I found him on YouTube...Amazing...Also use for sleep...Because I'm not loopy anymore and fighting to relax and sleep...Part of getting sober is insomnia for some...I like one called surrender letting go.....It's my must have every night...I hate to have you isolate yourself...But if your like me....can't be around slot of stress...Even the grocery store is an irritant and can trigger me to think DRINK....I send my hubby or daughter for now....Hope a little of this helps you..

Thanks, i will check this guy out.. The more weapons I have to fight the battle, I will use.. :)
    Brenda
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    So happy to have everyone!!!! Day one down, how did everyone do? Easy for me since I was so tired, lol. Husband made me dinner and I went to bed early. Ready for the gym now, woot woot!

Sad to say, day 1 was bad for me...
    I had friends over for dinner last night (which I planned 3 weeks ago) and prepped Tiramisu with chocolate liqueur in it.
    Couldnt help trying 1 shot of the stuff while cooking.
    Then figured I might as well have 1 glass of wine since I had already broken my resolve....

Oh no!! well, I understand how hard it is when you're with friends and you want to enjoy yourself. DH and I are planning on cooking a big meal together tonight and we usually drink a few beers together when we do. When I get home I'm going to make a big jug of iced tea to have on hand when water just isn't cutting it. And he's going to the grocery store to get me some more sparkling water.

Get back to it, you still have the rest of the month to make amends!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    tamera_g wrote: »
    The puffy will pass by day 10...I had that too....Heartburn is a bad sign of trouble headed your way...Get organic apple cider vinegar..One tablespoon in a small glass....Chug it....
    That's how my problems with indigestion started, drinking applecider vinegar. I heard it helped with weight loss and drank a shot each night before supper. Then I started having really bad indigestion, which I never had before. I don't want to drink that stuff again!

I tried the ACV, it's too gross. I can't do it. And it burns going down, lol. ::shudder:: I keep tums by my bedside though, it's not always an issue.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    Good morning sober people.

ACV - I've heard you're supposed to put it in a glass of water (diluted.)

I don't use it that way, sounds like woo to me. No one thing is going to help with weight loss other than a calorie deficit.

Not drinking alcohol erased hundred of calories a day for me.

I don't know any way to include it and still maintain good nutrition in a deficit.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I can manage to not buy any alcohol in November, but one does not simply turn down free beer.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Good morning sober people.

ACV - I've heard you're supposed to put it in a glass of water (diluted.)

I don't use it that way, sounds like woo to me. No one thing is going to help with weight loss other than a calorie deficit.

Not drinking alcohol erased hundred of calories a day for me.

I don't know any way to include it and still maintain good nutrition in a deficit.

When I was in a calorie deficit to lose weight (maintenance now) I found I would deprive my self of nutritious foods just to be able to have a couple beers. Sometimes I could have one 99 calorie beer with dinner and call it good but on the weekends in the afternoons I would be counting out the alcohol calories "If I have 2 more drinks, then I still have *this many* calories left for dinner". Did not work very well. Although the one good thing is that it's much easier to get a good buzz going on an empty stomach, lol.
  • MonkeyMel21
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    I can manage to not buy any alcohol in November, but one does not simply turn down free beer.

Where is this "free beer" you speak of?!

edit: Also, if I went by that logic I'd never have lost the weight, lol. Free food, cookies, cupcakes, donuts, etc at my work multiple times a week!

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »

Where is this "free beer" you speak of?!

edit: Also, if I went by that logic I'd never have lost the weight, lol. Free food, cookies, cupcakes, donuts, etc at my work multiple times a week!

I have this one friend who buys a ton of beer just so his friends can drink it when they go to his house. I'm pretty sure that's how you get to heaven.

You make a good point with the free stuff working against our goals. I stick to a one and done policy. It seems like having a little bit of the stuff I love helps me avoid going into binge mode.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    One and done.

I like it.

Except for alcohol.

You know what they say - one drink is too many and a thousand aren't enough.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm already craving having a beer with dinner, especially since I'm about to drive through rush hour traffic. I'm going to listen to my Star Trek podcast and just not think about it, lol. I have ice cold sparkling water waiting for me too!

I was definitely craving some wine yesterday. And today, tbh. I usually work out in the morning or during lunch, and wine just goes so well with other evening activities. Today is hubs' birthday, so it could be a challenge if he wants to go out. A virgin moscow mule is usually a good sub though.

It would be awesome if there were an immediately obvious health benefit. Like, I'm sleeping better, or have way more strength, or feel like I can take on the world. But nope, I just feel annoyed I can't have a glass of wine, lol.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I'm already craving having a beer with dinner, especially since I'm about to drive through rush hour traffic. I'm going to listen to my Star Trek podcast and just not think about it, lol. I have ice cold sparkling water waiting for me too!

I was definitely craving some wine yesterday. And today, tbh. I usually work out in the morning or during lunch, and wine just goes so well with other evening activities. Today is hubs' birthday, so it could be a challenge if he wants to go out. A virgin moscow mule is usually a good sub though.

It would be awesome if there were an immediately obvious health benefit. Like, I'm sleeping better, or have way more strength, or feel like I can take on the world. But nope, I just feel annoyed I can't have a glass of wine, lol.

I do feel better during the day when I didn't drink several drinks the night before, so at least there's that for me, lol. Weekdays aren't as tempting for me as the weekends. I drink more out of boredom then. I'm trying to plan activities with my son for this weekend to stay busy but nothing like going to the zoo or total kid oriented stuff because then I always want to get home and have a drink after all that to unwind. I'm just going to have to take it one hour at a time I guess, lol. I am planning on hitting up the gym this weekend though. I told my son I'll be taking him to the gym daycare to lock myself in to the decision. I might take him swimming Friday night too there, that'll eat up most of the evening at least.
  • emeliamariea
    emeliamariea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used one of my wine glasses to hold water yesterday so that I still had a similar evening experience in my hand. Of course I was disappointed when I sipped it and it was water and not wine, but it kept my hands busy?
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Ugh, A dear friend is coming up to meet me for dinner, she lives about 2 hours away, but has a drs app up here, so we are going to go grab some pizza at a local pizza place........ mmmm pizza and beer...... and Thursdays are my start to the weekend, so it's my normal night to have a few drinks .......... this is going to be a real unexpected challenge, but I'm not turning down seeing my friend, I'll just have an ice tea..........
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Ugh, A dear friend is coming up to meet me for dinner, she lives about 2 hours away, but has a drs app up here, so we are going to go grab some pizza at a local pizza place........ mmmm pizza and beer...... and Thursdays are my start to the weekend, so it's my normal night to have a few drinks .......... this is going to be a real unexpected challenge, but I'm not turning down seeing my friend, I'll just have an ice tea..........

You can do it!!! I usually get iced tea in those situations too. I believe in you!!!

I would normally have a beer right now too, my iced tea is brewing.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Day three, done! Teeth brushed and in bed :smiley:

Hope everyone is keeping on track too!
  • sweepeas
    sweepeas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge. Drinking brings out the worst in me and I feel like it spoils the fun for me, instead of enhancing it. Hangovers are horrible and make me waste an entire day of my life...I don't want this anymore. My birthday is this month. I know this will make not drinking even harder. Still, I am determined to do this.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    sweepeas wrote: »
    I would love to join this challenge. Drinking brings out the worst in me and I feel like it spoils the fun for me, instead of enhancing it. Hangovers are horrible and make me waste an entire day of my life...I don't want this anymore. My birthday is this month. I know this will make not drinking even harder. Still, I am determined to do this.

Awesome!! Welcome!! We're all in it together, you can post your progress here or come back anytime for some motivation!