No Alcohol November 2016 Challenge!

Options

Replies

• gjz123
    gjz123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, blew it today, but my best friend's father passed away today. We got together and talked...had two glasses, toasting Wally, vs. the bottle or two we would have had. Back at it tomorrow.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    gjz123 wrote: »
    Well, blew it today, but my best friend's father passed away today. We got together and talked...had two glasses, toasting Wally, vs. the bottle or two we would have had. Back at it tomorrow.

That sounds like progress to me. Sorry about your friend's father. I'm sure he was very glad to have you by his side.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've done my grocery shopping for the week - no wine, and I bought some different diet drinks (lemon lime and bitters) to try next time DH has a beer...which will be later today while watching basketball.
    I'm feeling prepared to face the weekend now <3
  • gjz123
    Options

That sounds like progress to me. Sorry about your friend's father. I'm sure he was very glad to have you by his side.

Totally made progress! Thanks for that reminder! Onward and upward!
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Goodnight day 3....of November I was organizing my fridge today...Behold 2 cans of beer...Way in the back behind the milk..I don't drink milk....I laughed!!!!!!! I also stuck them on the top shelf in plain sight..Wrote moms last beer on the cans....Because if I do ever open a can it will be my last....I will die....There's no going back...Forward sober only..I can't have one potatoes chip,taco,macadamian nut cookie or 1 beer...Heck any alcohol..one tea..jack n coke...Don't matter....It all slowly kills you...Then at age 53 you wish you had the years back...Your health back..Even that youthful glow in your skin...Yes I regret wasting good time on alcohol..Good meals for alcohol...I thought it was fun....Not so fun now...Liver damage... pancreas damage.. Esophagus damage....Hello Heartburn....That caused pre cancer to my esophagus..BTW no cure for that...Just have to make sure to never drink again and cause acid reflux...I hope your all doing well on day 1,2,3 wherever you are in this....I hope it's a start to even longer Sobriety....Forever!!!!!!! Oxox
  • gjz123
    Options
    onsickmom wrote: »
    Goodnight day 3....of November I was organizing my fridge today...Behold 2 cans of beer...Way in the back behind the milk..I don't drink milk....I laughed!!!!!!! I also stuck them on the top shelf in plain sight..Wrote moms last beer on the cans....Because if I do ever open a can it will be my last....I will die....There's no going back...Forward sober only..I can't have one potatoes chip,taco,macadamian nut cookie or 1 beer...Heck any alcohol..one tea..jack n coke...Don't matter....It all slowly kills you...Then at age 53 you wish you had the years back...Your health back..Even that youthful glow in your skin...Yes I regret wasting good time on alcohol..Good meals for alcohol...I thought it was fun....Not so fun now...Liver damage... pancreas damage.. Esophagus damage....Hello Heartburn....That caused pre cancer to my esophagus..BTW no cure for that...Just have to make sure to never drink again and cause acid reflux...I hope your all doing well on day 1,2,3 wherever you are in this....I hope it's a start to even longer Sobriety....Forever!!!!!!! Oxox

You go, girl! You've got it figured out! Keep giving your words of wisdom, we can all use them.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm all about moderation. :)
  • blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I think that it is more important to be with your friend, in times like this.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This thread just makes me want beer more.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    This thread just makes me want beer more.

It kinda has the same effect on me. The more I think about not drinking, the more I want that glass of wine. Well, not now. It's 8 a.m.

Feeling good today. Haven't spent a weekend without a few drinks in several years, and last time around I went to a few parties and ended up thinking this no drinking was for the birds, lol. I know I can do it, I just won't want to.

But I will! It's important to make sure I take this break. Good luck y'all!
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I seriously need to put down the wine glass. It's just so darn hard! It's becoming the one thing I look most forward to after a long day at the office. :neutral:
  • husseycd
    Options
    2_FitNFab wrote: »
    I seriously need to put down the wine glass. It's just so darn hard! It's becoming the one thing I look most forward to after a long day at the office. :neutral:

I hear ya! If I was good and just had a glass or two a night, I wouldn't worry about it. But I definitely overindulge on the weekends and often at least one evening a week (love me a happy hour). Drinking wine or simple mixed drinks (vodka/soda) has never really affected my weight, though I can't say the same about beer or mixed crafty cocktails. I stayed super lean for several years with the same drinking habits, so it isn't about weight for me. It's more about my relationship with alcohol and the habit of wanting to drink.

It is part of my culture and something I truly enjoy, so I have no intention of quitting forever. I do need to retrain my tolerance and moderation, lol.
  • appletini1
    appletini1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge. Count me in!! I might slip and have a wine or two on the weekend but I'll do the best I can.
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself..,put it down2_FitNFab....That's part of this month's challenge...Can you go just one month with no alcohol....You can do it.....Just go hour by hour.....Set a timer if you must....Ask yourself the truth...Do I want this because??????? I bet there is really no good reason to drink....Yes it takes us to a happy place temporarily...In the long run it just masks the feelings we have and over time they pile up and the reality sets back in....Depression is sure to follow..I don't know your age....I do know many my age already hurried...Health problems...suicide...Or walking dead breathing...It all starts with that one glass of whatever we choose...The end of the road has a stop sign...You can roll thru it a hundred times...But one day you will get caught....Stop drinking a week or two without too hard of withdrawals...Each time you get sober the withdrawals get worse...Then You become me........ Seizures.....tremors...convulsions...total loss of brain function...Deadly withdrawal...And I thought it was just fine to have that drink....No....it's not.....I will never ever drink again for no reason.......My first born was shot 3 times and killed....I drank away my pain....News flash.....7years later I'm dealing with that pain....Reality!!!!!! She's gone....no amount of alcohol will ever change that...Go one day....shoot for 2 days....Set your mind to healthy liquids....I like the gal on here drinking the seltzer water..For the fiz...,Today.......be day one girl.....your tougher than you know!!!!!
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to decide if I want to join this challenge since my birthday is this month and I know my friends will want to take me out. Since I'm still trying to get rid of the water weight from the Halloween party drinking I did last weekend (I know it has to be water weight because I was under my calories all week) I'm thinking it would be a good idea to give this challenge a try but give myself a pass for my birthday.

And, like someone else mentioned, my alcohol of choice is craft beer so my wallet will also feel the benefits of not drinking!
  • husseycd
    Options
    I've been trying to decide if I want to join this challenge since my birthday is this month and I know my friends will want to take me out. Since I'm still trying to get rid of the water weight from the Halloween party drinking I did last weekend (I know it has to be water weight because I was under my calories all week) I'm thinking it would be a good idea to give this challenge a try but give myself a pass for my birthday.

And, like someone else mentioned, my alcohol of choice is craft beer so my wallet will also feel the benefits of not drinking!

Do everything but your birthday. No harm in modifying the challenge.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I'm compiling a to-do list for around the house to try to keep myself busy this weekend. If anything, I'll have a very clean house, lol.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »

Do everything but your birthday. No harm in modifying the challenge.
    That's what I'm going to do. I already had a friend ask if I wanted to go get a beer tonight and I told her I'm trying to not drink at all this month. She thought that sounded like a good idea since she's been wanting to lose a few pounds too!

• EmilyCowlard2016
    EmilyCowlard2016 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm in for this challenge. I definitely drank way too much on the weekend and I have no plans for November. I'll take a shot at sobriety before the December craziness. I'm hoping to catch-up a bit on my weight loss and fitness goals in November as October was not the best month for me. Hoping to see some progress before the holidays are upon us. Good luck everyone!

P.S - Are you going to start a group for this as well?
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Yes! I'm in for this challenge. I definitely drank way too much on the weekend and I have no plans for November. I'll take a shot at sobriety before the December craziness. I'm hoping to catch-up a bit on my weight loss and fitness goals in November as October was not the best month for me. Hoping to see some progress before the holidays are upon us. Good luck everyone!

P.S - Are you going to start a group for this as well?

Welcome!!!

If there's anyone that wants to start a group, that would be a great idea! I don't normally like to take on leadership roles though, lmao. I have commitment issues :#