WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Kim from N CA - "2 random thoughts, are you measuring? Could you be losing inches, but not weight? And how is your sleep – that can affect weight loss."

Sleep is good, no issues, I haven't bothered to measure inches. I've used the 'clothes fit' or they don't form of measurement. I have been eyeballing since the beginning. I did discover in the last 2 days a small digital scale hidden in the kitchen and have been using it. So far it has shown that I over estimate my portions. At least for the food I have measured so far, for example my eye says 3 oz and the scale says 2.5 or 2.6 ozs. I even gave it fresh batteries just in case they were old and causing it to be off.

Charleen
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Charleen ~ Thank you for opening your diary. The only suggestion I have is maybe try not adding in your exercise calories to your daily total for a while.
  • Charleen2
    Options
    Heather in UK - BTW I love your new location and pics of your new house. I can see why it was talking to you. <3

Charleen in Colorado
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    NYKAREN wrote: And hey let's all give away all the candy!!! :p
    Halloween took me completely by surprise. I was working my tail off, as usual, when what sounded like a herd of elephants came up the outdoor stairs. Then the doorbell rang. I figured it was the family moving into the empty apartment downstairs, coming by to present themselves.

When I opened the door there were four witches outside! I was horrified, realizing I hadn't bought any candy. Then I remembered I had a whole box of luxury candy, individually wrapped in gold foil and wearing little fluted paper skirts — a present from a friend who had been over for dinner some time ago. I dashed to get the box.

I had great difficulty opening it, though. Let it be shouted from the rooftops: I'm REALLY not used to opening boxes of luxury candy! So I fumbled and fumbled.

Eventually the adult among the witches lifted his mask and revealed himself to be a close colleague of my husband (and a really nice guy). He said drily he thought there was some kind of tape strip around the box. I found it and opened the box, and handed out candy. All the kids were going Oooh and Aaaah.

It was a fun evening. I knew there were lots of kids in Longyearbyen, but I didn't know there were that many! They were all polite, and many of them seemed impressed by the high luxury factor of what I had to offer.

And (getting back to what NYKAREN said) Hey! I gave away almost all the candy!

Heather - I wrote a long spiel about your potential house here, but thought better of it later and deleted it out of respect for your privacy. :lol: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :heart:

Two news flashes:
    • My teaching partner has risen from the near-dead and said he'll probably be able to participate in next week's course. Obviously I'm happy for him, but so much for double pay for me :confounded:
    • My husband made it home! :love:
    /Penny at the North Pole
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,923 Member
    Options
    Love the tykes in costume and the house Heather. Welcome to the newbies and returning peeps! Very touching eulogy Margaret.

Had a busy day day today. Started out going to my chiropractor for acupuncture on my back and neck. From there went to Redbox and picked up movies then to the bank for grocery cash (way I budget).

Got home and DH wanted to go to Harbor Freight and get a wedge and sledge to split some wood we have for the fireplace. Went there then to Home Depot and finally Walmart. DH got pizza for lunch. I was starving so was a bad girl and had 4 (count them!) 4 pieces of a medium pizza. Then walked the dogs for 2 miles to try to make up for the pizza (haha!). Got home from walk and stacked the split wood that DH started with the new wedge. Fed dogs, school work for an hour, and now trying to catch up on MFP! Going to knit for a bit while watching TV. Only had an apple for supper so not too far over on my food.

November goals:
    Lose 5 pounds by Nov. 30 by logging all food every day, reading this forum and posting at least once a day, at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 out of 7 days a week.

Rita from Central CT
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    October Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow: I was 90% good on this one. I didn't miss food but had to estimate sometimes.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength: I did this without fail at home, but the travel for Halloween got in the way a couple of days.
    3. Have fun every day: I did it. I had fun and home and fun while travelling.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! I'm doing very well with water.
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. I averaged 7 hours of sleep nightly.

I am so grateful that I was able to come to DD's place for the birth of our third grandchild. There was drama involved, and the baby had to have surgery at a Children's Hospital in Chicago. He is doing very well now & so is my daughter. I am looking forward to flying home tomorrow.

November Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Katla, soon to be in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

November Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Margaret- very well written and filled with love! Your family will enjoy sharing her memories and her new adventure will brighten their day.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • nocandew
    nocandew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you guys don't mind...I am going to pop in to your group - I have lost 74 pounds over the last year but since the summer have not lost a thing - but not gained either. I am determined to get this going down again - not really sure about a goal, no magic number, I am 57, will be 58 in Jan. been heavy for many years and now have a bunch of hanging flab here and there but hey, it's better than fat that was there before it. I've had a couple of pretty serious health issues all of a sudden in 2014 (colon cancer), 2015 (stroke) and 2016 (melanoma) but the cancers were caught early and I was very lucky to just have a small memory problem with the stroke. I knew I had to make a change, my doctors said, lose some weight...but what was going to happen next if I didn't? So with my doctor's help I go in every month and we talk - I do get an rx for an appetite suppressant, but this is the same doctor that saw me through the colon cancer and the stroke and manages all my meds so she knows everything about me. Enough of this story....I just need to get going again, get the scales going down. I really feel great, I am going to the gym often - would like to seriously commit to 5 x week of a hard workout. I would like to seriously log my calories because we all know when we don't, it gets away from us. We get one body in this life, we need to take care of it, I wish I had realized this sooner. Anyhow....hoping to get to know you guys...

~nocandew~ from Maryland
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hello, Holiday Honeys!

Well, it's official, the Holiday Season has begun!

I had to go back to the October thread to see what I had said I was going to do. I am not a huge “goal setter” at all.

“I suppose that is my only goal for October... to keep on doing that, every day... exercise, log, and make good choices. The longer I can do that, the better my chances of a healthier life will be.”

I would say that I was over-all successful with that. I certainly did exercise – not every day, but certainly 24 out of 31 – and four of those I was driving cross country. As for choices - with the exception of my recent Fried Food Fest, I made fairly good ones. I suppose I could make a couple of goals for November... I feel like such a flake next to all of you, when I don’t.

1) Exercise daily – either at the gym or some hot sweaty equivalent.
    2) Eat more vegetables!
    3) Keep the protein intake up and the processed carbohydrates low. (Read BREAD, here. Sugar is so not my issue!)

I think those will be enough.

I will tell you, right now, though... I will be making and eating some stuffing for Thanksgiving. I could care less about Pie, or Turkey – but Stuffing and Gravy is my Holiday comfort food. I am giving myself permission to eat stuffing and gravy. I am thinking the recipe generator is going to be busy for me round Turkey Day – and I may have to limit my intake, somewhat – I may also have to do a weekly calorie budget for that week – so I have a chance to lose my pound for the challenge. Either that, or I will have to spend an hour a day on the elliptical all week! I suppose that is my best shot. But, I am going to eat my stuffing and not feel the least bit guilty about it.

Thank Heaven I only have to worry about it at Thanksgiving. I never cook for Christmas, anymore. It’s Chinese buffet, all the way! Love those new traditions!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Barbie
    – Our Fearless Leader! Thank you so much for doing all that you do to keep us together and behaving. (Hugs!)

Joyce – So glad you could vote from the comfort of your own church. Alas, a lot of that canning and stuff is a lost art. I have toyed with the idea of learning – but, it just isn’t happening for me, right now.

Pat – I didn’t forget to eat – I just forgot to eat the yogurt – which I generally treat like desert.... so I ate about half of my lunch calories. I managed to make up for them at dinner. The soup was so great, I ate an extra half a serving.

Janet
    – Can’t wait for you to send us the pics of you all tanned and happy. :] Perhaps a padlock on the kitchen door, with someone to keep the key for you? (hugs!)

Charleen – I recycle every single time I make a crockpot. That’s part of the reason I love using it. A crockpot full of deliciousness will feed the two of us for two nights – easy. Sometimes, even three. That narrows down the number of days I have to cook, considerably. Sounds like you are on the Mother of all Plateaus, Sugar. Sometimes, the trick is to eat a bit MORE every so often, rather than less. Try doing a week or two at “maintenance” and see if that breaks the hold... or maybe try doing a different eating plan – low carb or all veggie, or whatever is different from what you are doing, now. Change it up a little – routine is a good thing – until your body adjusts and gets stubborn on you.

SueBDew – I am in Allen, Sugar. My haunts are all in Allen, Plano and McKinney.

Barb/IN
    <3

Mary
    – Sweetie – take care of yourself and worry about us when you are all better. (Hugs!)

Margaret – Ah, if only I could make that same decision... Alas, I have to work, tired or not.

Becca – I love it when we get actual snow in winter – but that is pretty rare, in TX. Most of the time we can sit on the deck and catch some rays on Christmas Day... not altogether a bad thing.

Katla – Ugh – politics! It’s all just so horrid this year. I can’t wait for the whole election to be OVER. Sorry. DD may never to be able to treat you as a friend... you are her MOM. There is a line in the sand... some will never be able to cross it. I am glad baby and DD are well. Wishing you a safe journey home, Dear.

Gayle – Glad you have a place to take that candy. I am going to have to find a place for that bag of Almond Joys that I have left... or feed them ALL to DH... lol.

Pip
    – Safe Flight, Hon, and good luck on the race!

Linder4866 - *waves* Sorry, I have managed not to get your name.

Kim – Hmmm. Winter greens. I had no idea that there was such a thing, other than a lifesaver flavor... lol. I do love some greens in a salad.

Tere – Ten pounds – you are way more ambitious than I am. I will be cheering you on! And yes, LOVE those “disposable” containers. Of course, I tend to use them over and over, at home.

Heather – So glad you had a wonderful trip. The house looks marvelous! I am envious of a house so close to the sea. Hope your offer is accepted – or at least thoughtfully considered and countered. Fingers crossed for a seller who has finally just decided to dump and run! I got my house that way, and it was a fabulous bargain. Sorry, Sugar – every holiday is an excuse for the people around us to go completely mad with unhealthy foods! Texas children are very, VERY polite... We were shocked when we first moved here – they were like “Stepford Children.” DH also had to encourage them to take 2 pieces. OH! Bea is such a doll! I think that is the first picture I have seen where she isn’t grinning huge, though! Looks like the Grands got quite a haul. Ah, the joys of children all hopped up on Sugar!

Lisa/WTX – Well, at least your direct manager is receptive – this is a great thing. Hopefully she really can sell it to the CEO. It would be a great loss to the paper to lose you, entirely – but, if you can train your own replacement, it will surely be better for all involved. Good Luck with the VA. You might try adding some vitamin D, Sweetie. It’s important, and most folks don’t get even close to enough.

Allie – Sorry about the conflict. Tom is a little hard to love, so, I can understand both sides; but I am sorry it is so hard on you. (And what Kim said!) I have the same issue with one of my Sisters. She and my DH loathe each other – and neither will go out of their way to be in the company of the other... consequently, I don’t see her very much – even though she is only an hour away.

NYKaren – 1 lb – You know what to do about it, and I am sure that you will. Buck those holiday odds – Lose a pound. I am stubborn and contrary enough to do it... how ‘bout you?

KJ – Aw, thanks. That Puffy hag comes round most months – but, I am hoping for a holiday break! I would hate to be puffy for the last two week of the challenge! Gratz on Pi-Baby-Boy!

Carol – Shall we send a guard to stand in front of your refrigerator, at night?

Marcelyn – Our Recovery Goddess! Wonderful that you are doing so well. Enjoy the massage!

Cheri - *waves back*

Juanita – Thinking good thoughts for employment for your DH! Ah the joys of small town living! No one in the Metro Area would accept a hotdog from a stranger... lol. Over the reply box, there is a line of icons. Click the one that looks like a black sheet of paper with the corner folded down. Find you photo, and there you go. YAY for making your walking goal. Exercise is SOOOOO important – not only for weight-loss, but just for general health and well-being.

Karen/VA<3

Margaret – Tact... a lost art for many. Hope you can manage to control yourself. I have a hard time with that one, too! *sniffing and wiping at my eyes, again* Beautiful Tribute.

Chris – The frugal tips are on the last 3 or 4 pages – so, you can start at about 48 or 49. Sweetie – Pneumonia? You are clearly working too hard. I did succumb to a couple of pieces of caramel – so you did better than I did, yesterday. And yes, you rocked your goals for October. All those grands! I would be bankrupt. I can barely manage with two – and they are both almost grown, now... Good luck! ((Hugs!!)) We still love you, you BAD, BAD friend... LOL. Seriously – we know what you are up against. Take care of yourself and check in when you can.

Lisa/SEUS – Welcome Back! Sounds like you have had a rough time, Sugar. Hope things ease up for you and you can find a job. Stop in and chat, any time. There is usually someone around.

Cheryl – Oh, I totally get lost motivation... I coasted for about ten years at 275. But, we are here to provide whatever you might need – be it a hug or a swift kick to the posterior region. Welcome! YES – going to the gym first thing in the AM is the only way to ensure that I go. Plus, I get that little energy boost to get me through the day. YAY for exercise!

Sherry – The cessation of gravity in the pool is a wonderful thing! LOVE the pool. Wish I had one. Glad you got to skip the Nausea.

Judy – The brain is a complex thing... and it wants the status quo. Hope you can train your brain, otherwise. It is still really strange to look in the mirror and see NOT a 275 pound body. I was size 26-28 for so long, that size 18-20 looks decidedly odd – but GOOD odd. So, I try to keep looking at myself objectively and tell myself “This is how I look now. I am NOT the fattest girl in the room, anymore.” I figure by the time I am 60, it might sink in. Welcome!

Penny – YAH for Hubby getting home! Glad your teaching partner is better – sorry about the loss of income for you. Talk about a mixed blessing!

Rita – Ah pizza... I understand the desire for four slices – I love that stuff! But, alas, it loves to linger on my hips, just a tad too much. Tomorrow is another day.

Nocandew – I feel you on the flab. My body flows like mud... lol. But I am with you – flowing flab is so much better that firmly packed fat. Sorry about the health issues. Just remember this mantra... “If I log, I lose... If I log, I lose...” I have found it to be true. I don’t lose FAST – but, then, I don’t care about that. I want to lose it, forever, by making small changes I can live with for the rest of my life. I just have to keep thinking these thoughts... “Exercise is my friend, Protein is my friend, Whole food is my friend...” Stop in frequently – we are here to help. Welcome!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Pretty sure it’s fast food for dinner, tonight... DH ordered some things on-line to be picked up at Walmart – so we will be going there, after my work. I think we will be eating at Sonic – which is close to the Walmart. Guess I should go on-line and see if I can pre-plan what to order so I don’t go way over on my calories. Alas, vegetables are scarce at Sonic... (NO – cheddar jalepenos do NOT count as veggies!) but, I will have to fail at that goal, tonight. Thankfully, my leftover soup, tomorrow, is super veggie rich. It turned out delicious! The Homemade stock makes ALL the difference. I need to keep that sort of cooking up, for the rest of the month!

Happy November, Ladies! Here’s to a Healthy, and Happy Holiday Season for all in our little group!

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    welcome nocandew! . Stick with us, and stick with weighing and logging and moving, you are sure to continue to make progress :) plateaus are a big part of the process.

DD confided in me that she's just started dating at her college! I am happy for her, DH is gobsmacked. You know how the these things go, it could be over in a week, but I am glad she talked with me about it. And she's got a head on her shoulders, we hope it won't interfere with her studies. Ah to be young and in love <3
    Feeling sore all over and don't know why. Taking an Aleve and headed to an early bedtime.

NYKAREN
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Today has been a good day! Lovely day out for first of November!
    Since surgery we have been so Blessed by friends bringing out dinners to help us out. Super encouraging! Most of the meals are casseroles my family are loving them. I choose not to eat them to many carbs etc. But they still have been really helpful. Today a friend brought some lasagna and a big box of organic salad greens! Yay! I won't est the lasagna and salad see that for dinner !

My goals for November
    To log in my foods
    Exercise 4 days a week --- work up to that mile.
    To get into the 200's. That is my dream. First there than new goal.
    Be part of my book club again.

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Kim - I would have come here, but I didn't want to dump my pity party on you all. That's what counselors are for anyway. I go back to counseling on Monday, not sure who I will be seeing yet as it's just an intake appt for now. It's supposed to be a 2 hour appt, 30 minutes of which is spent filling out paperwork. Sheeesh!

Sherry in "actually pretty nice today" Portland
  • Charleen2
    Options
    Re - I appreciate your suggestion to try mixing up the menu/plan to see if that will get the body losing again.

I have not been on any other diet/eating plan other than the 1300 calorie weight loss one for the past 6 months. You could be on to something, looking at my weight loss (date) and tracking my food back a week before that date I seem to have one of my oopps days and go over my calorie count. Could it be just that easy? Eat more, weigh less (at least for a little while)???

I will double check what my maint. calorie count is now at my current weight, last time I checked it was 1600 calories a day when I weighed more.

I too am a crock pot queen! If I can get it in the pot, I will cook it! With just my daughter and I a crock pot meal makes a lot of sense, less fuss and the food is heavenly. I received a crock pot cookbook last Christmas that has been a treasure. It's called 'Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever' by Diane Phillips.

It's a pretty thick book (lots of photos too!) but it is arranged so nicely so it's easy to find something that works when you are thinking 'I have this chicken, what can I do with it?'

Charleen in Colorado (If we ain't grilling, we are crock potting)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Janetr great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Re yes tact not tack. :smiley:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,649 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Charleen – under sizing the amount you are eating seems like a good thing, BUT could be that you are not getting enough calories and your bod is hanging on to weight …

Re: Winter greens – in Ca in the winter we grow spinach, bok choy, lots of lettuces, mizuna, collard, and can over winter chard and kale….
    So in the camp garden so far is Broccoli, Broccoli Rabi, Cauliflower, spinach, Mizuna, red chard, onions, kale (3 kinds), radishes, beets - lettuce are in the green house getting big enough to be put in the garden. I also have herbs getting settled – chives, sage, winter savory, thyme, oregano and some really tiny cilantro in the green house…

4th call today asking me to vote for someone – something – in my county we have the 17 state wide propositions and 8 local ones so it seems like everyone is cheering for something. I vote by mail, so it is done…

November Goals:

Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Re – Thanks! DBnL seems to be steadily gaining ground; they got him up yesterday and made him ‘march in place’. Left side is a little weak. Today, they helped him walk a little and then got him into a chair and he could sit for a while, instead of being in the bed all the time. They like the MDs; one is in and out, little to say; but, the other 2 take a lot of time talking to family. Sister has decided that ‘if’ he needs ‘in-patient’ therapy (PT or OP) she wants to stay in Miami. We are very happy with his progress. Said that he could not wait to get back to church and tell them about ‘almost going to the other side’. I will be interested in hearing that, too.

drkatiebug – Not sure, might be Friday as cut-off for early voting. I think that might be state-wide. I voted last week, DH voted today, not too many in there; but, polling lady said they had had over 500 in this country to vote early. No waiting in lines for us; but, we went at strange hours, really early and right after lunch.

Becca – DYS and his family are not planning on coming for Thanksgiving. So, instead, we’ve been asked to go to DnL#1’s mother’s house. Going to be a crowd because this is probably going to be her Granny’s last Thanksgiving. I sure hope the weather stays pretty and it is NOT raining then (although we REALLY need some), so that we can go outside to eat. It will be a ‘circus’ to just get around in this small little double-wide filled with tchotchkes … everywhere!

I saw a van that had a sign on the back: “Organize 4 You” … told DH that was what I wanted for Christmas. Well, they (DOS and DH) will be gone for a week in the middle of December; so I can do as I please and eat when I want, what I want, and clean when I want.

Pat – An Osage apple … darn … if I knew they’d keep spiders away I would get a lot of them from a friend’s yard. There is a tree in our former ‘football coach’s’ yard. Other than decoration we just could not figure out what they were for.

Heather – Our DYS and DDnL#2 have been looking for land; found some, were talking about making an offer UNTIL this man said that he would still come out and ‘hunt’ on the land. DYS said, ‘oh, no … not just ‘no’ … but HELL NO!’ I buy this land nobody will hunt on it except us; if they do they will be poaching and the Sheriff would be called and he’d be held at gun point. Needless to say that did it for them. Time to move on and look for something else. Then found out that the neighbor out there ran a crime group who stole and pawned things like mowers, tractors, 4-wheelers, etc. So it was really a ‘no go’. Now they have decided to look for property along the lake that is between his work place and hers. Haven’t found exactly what they want. I don’t know, and won’t ask, if they have ruled out IVF totally. Doesn’t matter; all that matters is that they are ‘happy’!

DDnL#2 sent us a couple of pictures of them all dressed up for Halloween. Her Grannie was a hair dresser; so when they cleaned out her house, she had all sorts of wigs. So we get pictures of son, DDnL#2, and DGD#4 all dressed up. DYS is dressed up like a woman. He looked like the SNL’s “Church Lady”; some said he reminded them of a ‘white’ Medea (Tyler Perry). He was sitting on the commode and his step-daughter was making him up when his F-n-L walked in and said, ‘my GOD, boy, what ARE you doing’? !?!?!? They rode their 4-wheeler around the neighborhood and then over to where her parents live and around their neighborhood. It was hysterical. Even Louis laughed about it. I told her that there is NO DOUBT that he loves them both because they have gotten him to do things that he would have NEVER, EVER done … EVER! I wish I could post the pictures; but, the ‘understanding’ was we would NOT post them on 'any' social networking site. Just believe me ... they were hysterical!

Two more pounds lost; muscle weight up by 2lb; water weight up, fat weight down by 2, inches down. I was surprised; mainly because yesterday at the MD's office (on his scales) not the fancy ones, it showed that I had not lost anything. So today was a GREAT day!

Lenora
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Re - I would live in the pool if I could! The sad part is that insurance will only pay for 6 visits, so once that is done, it's done. I live on a very tight budget and can't afford to pay for continued use of the pool, which is a bummer but it makes me relish and appreciate the time insurance will cover.

Am making an awesome soup tonight with only 4 ingredients! 1 head of cabbage, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, polish sausage and water! Very filling and yummy on a chilly fall evening, and I'll have enough for a couple of days.

Sherry in "dry" Portland