WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lenora, we still have early voting here this Saturday. But it could be that each state/county may be different.

We almost have all of our candy eaten :# We got some coupons in the paper last week from Old Chicago. We used one last week that was get a large pizza 50% off. Yes, I know I shouldn't have used it at all. Pizza is one thing that is very hard to resist. Especially at that price. There was another coupon for buy one entree, get one free. So yep, we did that tonight. But I put 1/2 mine in a box. Not that Charlie needs it anymore than I do. Since his surgery in May he has gained over 20 pounds. But I am glad he feels so good and has a good appetite.

I wish I didn't have the bruises that I get now. It's all because of the Effiant. I have one on my toes that looks like a smiley face. Today I woke up with a huge one on my left hand. But it comes with the medicine and the stent comes with the Effiant so I am stuck with it until the end of next August.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thank you for the inspiring opening post. You always put so much thought and love into getting our new month started.

Juanita: Prayers going up for your husband.

Holiday stress? So sorry to hear that is beginning to creep into some of your lives. Aren’t these supposed to be fun occasions?

Morton’s neuroma in my left foot has started to radiate up my leg. Meanwhile, this is the same side with the knee that has arthritis. I have been limping for two days…ugh. Tomorrow is the start of a two-day business trip, so will see if a couple days without gym workouts will help. NOT interested in booking a wheelchair for the airports.

I didn’t post my goals last month, but did lose .6 of a pound, which is better than a poke in the eye. I also marked 5 months without a drink, which has been a blessing on many levels. Eliminating the sugar from alcohol, plus the extra burst of exertion from doing Tabatas helped me break through a stubborn plateau and begin steady weight loss again.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

November Goals:
    Tabata training a minimum of 2 times per week
    Try a new ‘Skinny Taste’ recipe
    Eat mindfully
    Reduce household budget by $400.
    Be lighter (thanks Lisa for coining this goal)
    Word for 2016: Optimism
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    <3
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Cheryl, Walking counts!

Great work on helping your friend, too!
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Diana. I'm back on the band wagon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Another great day on the golf course. 88 degrees on November 1.
    Thanks Barbie for starting us off on a new month.
    Margaret - lovely tribute to your Mom. I think I would have loved knowing her.
    Re- I actually live in Granbury but go to our son's in Dallas quite often.
    I read everyone's post and note a sense of renewed determination. We can do this one day at a time.
    My goals are to eat mindfully this month and stay active.
    Welcome newbies, come back often.

SueBDew in TX
  • Dancingchickens1
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new to MFP and to this group. Love reading through the goals for November. What a great idea.

I would chip in my two cents too and would love to hear from you. I'm new to exercising after the consequences of sedentary lifestyle have taken a big big toll. Time to shape up for me.

My goals:

Go to the gym and/or get outdoors and exercise at least 60 minutes 6 days a week. (I really feel great when I get outdoors - weather permitting)
    Track my food and exercise
    Watch my ratios and keep a balanced diet
    DRINK WATER (hard to do when it rains so much in the NW - but trying herbal teas to make up the difference)

Happy November to All!

dancingchicken
    (Pacific NW)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 20.56min, 10.29ap, 5.5-5.8sp, 135mhr, 2mi = 183c
    stairclimber- 10min, 51fl, 481ft, 189aw, 9sp, 122ahr, 143mhr = 96c
    elliptical- 10min, 89stpmin, 5incl, 2resist, 122ahr, 139mhr, 105c
    total cal 384
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well ladies,

Dinner was great! The soup turned out super yummy as usual. I couldn't wait to eat it and burned my tongue on the first bite! Sooooo good! And it smells so good in here! I love that I can smell things now that I don't smoke anymore (did I forget to mention that I am 47 days smoke free? I honestly hadn't thought about it lately!)! It's amazing how much smoking kills your sense of smell!

Now it's time for me and my kitty (her name is Missy, she is a 'rescue') to kick back on the couch and watch a movie or two. I stopped by the pawn shop yesterday and bought 10 movies for $12. All ones I haven't seen yet, so I have a good choice tonight.

You all have a wonderful evening!

Sherry in "it's still dry!" Portland

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,

I did pretty well with my goals for October. Most days I'm in excess of 5000 steps which is great in comparison of where I was in September.
    I managed to get to Tai Chi for 3 out of 4 weeks.

The exciting part is I was down 4 lbs for the month of October!! It feels so good to finally be able to say that.

Welcome to everyone new - this is a great bunch who care and let it be known. I am truly blessed to have found this thread.

Thank you Barbie for setting us up for November.

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Nov:
    - Increase walking by at least 100 steps per day
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • southernsue1961
    southernsue1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! New here. Wonderful way for all of us to support each other in our journeys, especially those of us, ahem, more mature gals!

Quick backstory...today marks the day a year ago all my back woes started, ending with a failed lumbar laminectomy in January. Gained about 10-15 lbs since then due to inactivity and boredom eating since activity still limited. Anyone know of any good websites for sitting exercises that burn calories to ramp up my metabolism?

November goal is to become more active, keep a positive attitude and lose at least 5 lbs.. all while looking good and being sassy!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    NoCAnDo from MD & newbies: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :flowerforyou:

I am going home tomorrow and will have limited access to the net. I will be logging food & counting calories. I've had a good visit with DD and family and I'm ready to be home with my husband and dog. I am tired.

Tomorrow is a travel day. I'll log my food, but I probably won't have much time to stop by here. Have a great day.

Katla soon to be in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie!

Good evening, lovelies.

She's baack... after a long hiatus ;)

To update those who might remember me, retired in June, moved to a rental in July while we got our house fixed up for sale. Listed Aug 15, sold in Sept, closed Oct 14. Thanks be!

We'll stay in the rental 'til at least July 2017 while we figure out our retirement destination (Melba ID? Nyssa or Gold Beach OR?).

Hold onto your seats, joined the local rec center and have been going to Aqua Fit, Aqua Zumba and regular Zumba classes, sometimes 4 classes a week. Got a fitness assessment, wasn't as bad as I feared (body age 74, calendar age 66). Monday, trainers started me with a gentle plan careful of old knees and bum shoulder.

Know I MUST LOG FOOD DAILY, so here I am again.

Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who is happy to be here.
    Intentions:
    Smile then listen
    Today: Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise. . . EVERY day ;}
    November: Weight room 3 days/week. Zumba, H20 Fit or Line Dance Class 4 times/week.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of any good websites for sitting exercises that burn calories to ramp up my metabolism?

November goal is to become more active, keep a positive attitude and lose at least 5 lbs.. all while looking good and being sassy!

LOL - LOVE your goals. I tend to favor Sassy, myself.

As for seated exercises - not sure about cardio type stuff - but doing some seated strength training will build some muscle - which will help you burn more calories, 24/7. Ankle weights and Dumbbells, Baby!

Welcome!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Found out I have been going about it all wrong with the homework with DGS#1 so am backing off and letting him fail if need be for him to realize on his own that not doing homework does have consequences. Thank goodness DGS#2 comes home and does his homework on his own! I'm already feeling a burden lifted off my shoulders as I have been fighting with #1 about this for years.

More interviews on the horizon!

Gloria in WA always learning

Quote I read today by Ralph Waldo Emerson - "Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it."