WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, we are so lucky to have each other to report to, gossip with and just keep in touch. My mom kept in touch with folks while hanging out the wash in the back yard, weekly "Kaffe Klutches" and of course, church every week. How times are different.

I will be reading but not posting till after the weekend, so excited DD will be home from school and lots of family gatherings will be taking place through Sunday, feeling blessed and grateful.

NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! A three day work week! Wahoo!!! And Wednesday will be a relatively quiet day for my daycare, as half of the kids won't be here due to traveling for the holiday or due to parents (who work as teachers) having the day off.
    DH told me last night that he planned to visit his parents on Thanksgiving and bring them some leftover dinner. I said "What?! Aren't they going to _____?" He told me that they weren't invited to spend Thanksgiving with any of the inlaws. SO...they are coming here for Thanksgiving dinner! They are happy to get out of the house and I am happy to have some company at the table! My MIL is bringing whatever traditional side dish they want, because I don't do "traditional" at hoidays bc my family won't eat green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, or sweet potato with marshmallow on it.
    Heather- Happy anniversary dear friend! You and dh look fantastic and very happy (despite the poorly cooked fowl)!
    Kim, Michele- I think it was the two of you that were talking reunions? I haven't attended a class reunion, yet. For the five year reunion I was living in Mexico, and when the ten year reunion came around, my parents had passed and the organizers couldn't find me. When I got on Facebook in 2008, old "friends" came out of the woodwork! I have stayed in touch with a handful of friends from high school since finding them on facebook. We get together a few times during the year. Reunions tend to bring in the groups of people that made high school not so enjoyable, for me. IF, I do go to our 35 in a couple years, it will be to see those few people that live out of state that I don't see on a regular basis. There are three men that I was close with (not boyfriends) my pastors son, my fellow language lover, and the first "gay" man I met (who also happened to be a close friend), they all now live in the far corners of the U.S. (AZ, TX, and FL) and I would LOVE to see them.
    Carey - Your weekend food prep sounds a lot like mine. Have a great day!

Oh boy. Gotta run. My early bird has given me his morning "gift" and it is stinking up my house. Most days the dirty diapers don't bother me, but some days it is stomach turning! Note to self: buy holiday candles to remove day to day smelliness!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Up the stairs for coffee...down the stairs to do cards...up the stairs for coffee ..down the stairs to help with reno work.....up the stairs to microwave the cold coffee

Have a great day everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lillian ~ Sounds like you are getting your exercise done! :)

KJL ~ Sorry for the smelly diaper!

In the 30's here today but will get up to the 60's. Still praying for rain!

Carol
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    Out of sorts lately. Holidays always do this to me. As is his tradition, DH is beginning to balk at going to my mom's for Thanksgiving. Every year he does this.

Later,
    Rita from CT
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Gracious It’s Monday! :)

Thanking God I can work from home on Mondays! I may go into the office on tomorrow but after that I won’t have to go back in for a week. :)

I got over the overwhelmed feeling about Thanksgiving dinner. DH got some of his cleaning chores done. He is happy. Allie, we did indeed put on some music, but then we started dancing and the chores got a little delayed. I started a rum cake which will be glazed and reglazed over the next couple of days. As for the rest, I’m not cooking anything that I haven’t cooked a million times before, I just have to make more. I am sure now that it will be ok. DH’s daughter decided to have a family Thanksgiving dinner at her house and invited us over which presented a whole new anger bout from DH. I had to spend some time explaining to him that she and her brother do not feel connected to the “Twenty-Something” group of our children (probably because of the huge age difference and they both have children in their 20s). I think she does some things to spite her dad but that’s her problem (After all they are both in the late 40s). All I can do is wish those two children well. Sometimes having a blended family is difficult.

DH did really well this weekend with DFIL. DFIL was more lucid on yesterday and we had a nice visit. He still is focused on getting someone to take him home but was a little calmer when the nurse told him he couldn’t go on yesterday. In addition to his being unable to walk his heart is failing and he can no longer lay down flat and breathe. We can only pray for his comfort now.

Katla: We both smoked for more than 40 years. We decided to stop smoking several times and didn’t make it. On January 21, 2016 we bought vapor cigarettes. They took away the habit of stopping at the store and getting a pack on the way home. We were able to finally smell what other people that smoked smelled like. Anyway, whenever we had an urge to smoke we picked those up instead of a cigarette. Breaking the physical habits associated with smoking helped us more than anything else. Plus we were able to lower our nicotine intake substantially without the withdrawal symptoms. A lot of days I don’t even use the vapor cigarette.

Sherry: I’ve never known anyone to wear out their welcome here! Sending hugs!

Tere in RVA

• jesuschar61
    jesuschar61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :| Hello everyone, I am new here. Just started out on my new adventure 3 weeks ago. It's not a diet, it's a life style changing...matter of life or death here. I've started on a program from Billings Clinic here in Montana called WeightSmart, 7 month program, and my doctor recommend MyFitnessPal as I go on this program. I received my meal plan 2 weeks ago 1,700 low fat and I'm really enjoying it...it's been one step at a time and if I didn't reach the goal yet, keep going to that goal...When I first started, my peak weight was 303 and I'm down in one week on the meal plan 299 but the Dietitian explained to me not to be surprise if I have some gain and then loses...like a peak step going down. I also have a counselor in this program too. But they have all encouraged me to this place for group support. I'm new in all of this.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy week of Thanksgiving, American peeps!
    I'm very thankful for y'all. You make my life better in so many, many ways.
    Gratefully,
    Lisa in West TX.

Lisa thank you for expressing my exact feelings!

Hubs will be off from 12 noon on Wednesday thru the weekend. Our son will be here Wednesday afternoon thru Friday afternoon. Will worry about daughter driving from VA to Charlotte on Tues. till she arrives safely where she will celebrate thru Sat. with my older brothers family (3 daughters, 2 husbands, and 8 littles!). My mom and younger brother are driving from Indianapolis to Columbus, OH today to pick up my sister who has MS and taking her back with them for the week. My SIL will be making Thanksgiving for them (dad, mom, brother/wife, 3 sons and my 2 sisters). We had our last BIG Thanksgiving gathering last year as my mom can no longer host all of us and there are a lot of us!

57g9xzg6eidg.jpg

So in the bottom right are my daughter Rosalyn and son Benjamin. Bottom left has my wonderful dad taking a nap amid all the chaos. God bless him as he is in remission with Mantel Cell Lymphoma and suffering from Post Polio Syndrome at 86 years young. The rest are sisters (2), brothers (2), nieces, nephews, SILs and BILs, and a gaggle of greats! It was fun.

Wishing you all a wonderful week!

Cheri
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carey: The cupcake quiche's are brilliant! Will you share the recipe? :flowerforyou:

Sherry Minch: There is no reason to apologize for eating sweet potatoes unless they are drenched in marshmallow fluff or you eat a huge portion. They are an excellent food, healthy for you and full of goodness. :smiley:

Heather: Thanks for the tip on kiwi. How do you deal with the fuzzy peel? Is there an easy trick to get it off? :huh:

Lisa in TX: I'm thankful for you and this group, too. :bigsmile:

KJLaMore: We don't do green bean casserole or sweet potatoes with marshmallow, either. They are definitely NOT part of our tradition. Since we are going to DSIL's house this year it is possible we'll see them on the table. That doesn't mean that we will eat them. :noway: We love sweet potatoes that aren't drenched in butter or marshmallow fluff and enjoy them regularly. :smiley:

Lillian: It sounds like you've got your own stair-climber going. Count the calories! :bigsmile:

Rita: Do your best to enjoy the holiday, despite your DH's reluctance. When I married I took over Thanksgiving and Christmas for our family. Mom was thrilled to have it off of her shoulders. I wish my kids lived close enough to spend holidays together. :ohwell: This year we're going to DH's sister's place. I'm looking forward to it. We've developed a nice friendship over the past several years. :smiley:

Yoga today will be my only yoga class for the week due to travel plans. I hope to find some other way to burn calories whle we visit family, most likely by walking. It is good exercise. I'm planning on two live Christmas "trees" this year and have one of them mostly decorated already. It is a tree shaped rosemary plant. Right now it is on the dining room table and only lacks a star or other "tree" topper. If it survives the holidays in the house, I'll plant it in a pot outdoors. The other is a Dwarf Alberta Spruce in a nice red pot. I chose it a few years ago because it can survive the move inside a warm house for a few weeks and then back outside. Most evergreens can't handle that. It is also very slow growing and we'll be able to use it for years. This will be its fourth year inside our house. It is currently happily outside in the flowerbed. I'll wait to bring it in until the 8th or 9th of December. The pot will need to be washed before it comes in. Including the pot, this tree is now 3'10" tall. It will sit atop my mom's old carved camphor chest and will be 5'10" to the top in the window. I think it will make a lovely display. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

November Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Looking fwd to the last run of the year, glad it's only a 5k. We get to spend the nite in Seattle
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Cheri love the pic of your napping dad <3

Heather I am so glad for you this marriage is such a success...it is so apparent in the photos. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I am trying to peek under the restaurant table to see if I can get a glimpse of your heels, LOL!

DJ Stuffing feelings often leads me to stuff my face. I am 62, so it is past time to get to work changing that.

Went to grocery store for green bean casserole and succotash ingredients. Store was crowded, glad we didn't have too much to buy. People were not being careful and polite in the store. Ugh.

On the other hand, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was a phenomenal movie, we all loved it. And for whatever reason, there were not many people there. Guess they were all at the grocery store. The grandkids were mesmerized.

Karen in Virginia, finally almost over this silly cold
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Karen3385616y3nxd4zxyh.gif
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    Feel a little better now. DH is still grumpy. Part of that is his hives are flaring again and so is his arthritis. Still no excuse for his behavior! Went to my chiropractor/acupuncturist who treated my aching back and anxiety, the took dog as for a two mile walk. Started snowing to beat the band here while I was walking! Frozen and am now on here sipping a tea.

Well talk later.

Rita from CT

Ps.. I do read all the posts. Helps me feel better. I love you all and thank God for finding this thread.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • santeeshimmy
    santeeshimmy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Michele,
    I just bent to wash my leg. I know!
    I've had back issues for years and sometimes it just decides to plague me. Most of the time I can feel it coming on, but this time no.

I did get on the bike for 30 minutes anyway. Didn't hurt and I did't push hard. Just did a few miles. I can't give up. I'm tired of feeling older than I am.

Katy with the heating pad in NM
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,259 Member
    Options
    Hi all. On the train coming home from a wonderful day.
    We had lunch with DH'S daughter then went to the Abstract Expressionism exhibition. Thought of you all when I saw the pictures had been loaned from Iowa and Denver. Had a ridiculously expensive pot of tea (will email complaint) then went to a famous pub for a beer. Lovely to see London all lit up and the pavements glistening. We avoided all the rain.
    Then we went to an Israeli restaurant that is an old favourite of mine. DH had salt beef and I had falafel and hummus salad. We had walked a lot so it was OK
    Then we walked across the Thames to the station for the train.
    We so enjoyed ourselves.
    Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxx

PS My friend's flowers have arrived at last.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star: