Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    A thing can be simple in theory yet difficult in practice. CICO is a perfect example of this. In theory it is very simple, it is what it is. Achieving it on the other hand can prove very difficult for many.

Exactly, thank you :smile:
  • Russellb97
    Options
    The difference between overweight people and non-overweight people is those who aren't trying to lose weight are not worried, stressed, frustrated, ashamed, or pre-occupied with what they are going to eat and when they will eat it. It's food controlling us or us controlling our food.

Studies have shown that overweight people exercise more often than non-overweight and non-overweight people eat more junk for than those who are overweight.

I'll tell you what, being free from the "diligence" and pre-occupation with food is almost as satisfying as losing 130 lbs.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »

annaskiski wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Losing weight and keeping it off is far more about your relationship with food and being in control over hunger and cravings than CICO.

CICO is how it works. Fixing your relationship with food, etc., is how you make sure you are where you want to be with CICO. If you seem them as incompatible things or opposed to each other, I think you are misunderstanding what people mean by CICO. It's not a type of diet.

As for how to achieve CICO, what strategically will work, it differs depending on the person. There are some good tips that work for many, but there's no one-size-fits all.

^^^ This

I'm baffled by how hard this is for people to understand.

Yes! CICO is the basic black and white answer, of course, it is! I completely agree that ultimately losing weight comes done to the CICO formula.
    Yet if it was truly that simple, why are getting bigger and bigger? Why do 95% of us who lose weight gain it all back?

Sometimes you have to be able to think a bit deeper than what's on the surface. If you only go as far as CICO, you'll fail to comprehend the complexity of why losing weight is so difficult. Understanding the "big picture" is how you can go from a lifetime of obesity to forever fit. That is what I accomplished. But, it only happened after I stopped sacrificing to the CICO god by trying to sweat and willpower my way to success.

Simply put... fat loss is hard. Staying fit takes more energy than going out with friends or ordering in, while making good decisions consistently. Life tends to get in the way and people address it with food. But to be honest, not everyone has a bad relationship with food. This is why I lost 50 lbs and have kept it off. It's why for the past 4 or 5 years, despite my wife being a regular in the hospital, I have figured out how I can workout and eat right when I am not, to keep it off. Now, I am just working on the vanity pounds.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The difference between overweight people and non-overweight people is those who aren't trying to lose weight are not worried, stressed, frustrated, ashamed, or pre-occupied with what they are going to eat and when they will eat it. It's food controlling us or us controlling our food.

Studies have shown that overweight people exercise more often than non-overweight and non-overweight people eat more junk for than those who are overweight.

I'll tell you what, being free from the "diligence" and pre-occupation with food is almost as satisfying as losing 130 lbs.

I've met a lot of non over weight people through my life who were also pretty preoccupied with food.
    I mean if its not calories its something else.. an ingredient maybe.. a recent study about a food they eat often maybe.. Where it comes from, How its harvested or killed, cooking method used.. every person i talk to has their own issues with food regardless of weight..

I was obsessed with food when i was stick thin too lol My calories in/calories out luckily matched up my whole life. It wasnt until i hit 40 that things went skewiff :cry:
  • Amy_QueenInTraining
    Amy_QueenInTraining Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    *following. (And my two cents: You are right, it is not the whole equation. Personally, sodium consumption, time of day I eat, and how I exercise all contribute to my weight)
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Losing weight and keeping it off is far more about your relationship with food and being in control over hunger and cravings than CICO.

CICO is how it works. Fixing your relationship with food, etc., is how you make sure you are where you want to be with CICO. If you seem them as incompatible things or opposed to each other, I think you are misunderstanding what people mean by CICO. It's not a type of diet.

As for how to achieve CICO, what strategically will work, it differs depending on the person. There are some good tips that work for many, but there's no one-size-fits all.

And one more endorsement!

This thread is making my head spin, it's circling endlessly around the same few egocentric concepts, regardless of science and common sense.

We all agree the only way to lose weight is to eat less than you burn (CI<CO) but
    I see a lot of fat people with health problems so clearly CICO doesn't work so
    Telling people to eat less and/or move more is wrong
    The only way to lose weight is to eat like ME because
    That's the way I eat and I'm healthy
    So there

Did I miss anything?

You forgot:
    "sure if all you care about is weight loss, CICO will work, but if you want to be healthy, there is more to it than that"

Of course there is. Or fit as a fiddle Bob Harper might not have had a heart attack.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »

And one more endorsement!

This thread is making my head spin, it's circling endlessly around the same few egocentric concepts, regardless of science and common sense.

We all agree the only way to lose weight is to eat less than you burn (CI<CO) but
    I see a lot of fat people with health problems so clearly CICO doesn't work so
    Telling people to eat less and/or move more is wrong
    The only way to lose weight is to eat like ME because
    That's the way I eat and I'm healthy
    So there

Did I miss anything?

You forgot:
    "sure if all you care about is weight loss, CICO will work, but if you want to be healthy, there is more to it than that"

Of course there is. Or fit as a fiddle Bob Harper might not have had a heart attack.

Well of course there is, but saying that CICO is what matters for weight loss is not saying to ignore health and nutrition.....
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that it seems to me that many times when I read about CICO ... especially be newbie dieters or restarters, that they think the difference between input and output must be huge, and cut their calories extremely while upping their activitity extremely. And I think this is because of wanting a pretty immediate result ... like; just get this done and overwith, then "I" can go back to living my life again ... and that just seems, if it is the thought process, to be just way off base.

You don't need a huge deficit between the "i" and "o", and you needn't abrubtly change your fitness routine ... and you do need to be patient and learn, not only the reason behind it, but how to alter the issues that caused the unwanted weight status int he first place.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Would you mind linking which study you are referring to in the bold?

Thank you!

Soda and sweets aren't making Americans fat. In fact, underweight Americans consume more junk food than those who are morbidly obese.
    In a new study in the journal Obesity Science & Practice, Cornell professors analyzed the food intake of about 6,000 people, according to MarketWatch. The study found that consuming more fast food, candy and soda was not correlated with higher body mass indexes—“While a diet of chocolate bars and cheeseburgers washed down with a Coke is inadvisable from a nutritional standpoint, these foods are not likely to be a leading cause of obesity."

uhvk2dj7v2u7.jpg
  • Russellb97
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Would you mind linking which study you are referring to in the bold?

Thank you!

Soda and sweets aren't making Americans fat. In fact, underweight Americans consume more junk food than those who are morbidly obese.
    In a new study in the journal Obesity Science & Practice, Cornell professors analyzed the food intake of about 6,000 people, according to MarketWatch. The study found that consuming more fast food, candy and soda was not correlated with higher body mass indexes—“While a diet of chocolate bars and cheeseburgers washed down with a Coke is inadvisable from a nutritional standpoint, these foods are not likely to be a leading cause of obesity."

uhvk2dj7v2u7.jpg

Do you have an actual link tho?

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/discoveries/junk-food-blame
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Does it specify anywhere if the soda was regular or diet or just soda in general?