Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Urgh. This old chestnut again. Tiresome. I'm going to get a big mac too.
    Just wondering though, if people don't support the factual science of CI/CO why are they posting? Primarily this is what mfp is about and what the majority is here to do.
  • kq1981
    Options
    And, being healthy is determined also by NOT having diabetes, heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, visceral fat suffocating your internal organ, stroke, cardiovascular issues, inflammation, anxiety, lack of confidence ect all which are all subsets of obesity. just eating "healthy" does not make u miraculously "healthy". Nutritionally sound foods will come, for me, in time as I lose weight and change my attitude and mindset of food.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    And, being healthy is determined also by NOT having diabetes, heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, visceral fat suffocating your internal organ, stroke, cardiovascular issues, inflammation, anxiety, lack of confidence ect all which are all subsets of obesity. just eating "healthy" does not make u miraculously "healthy". Nutritionally sound foods will come, for me, in time as I lose weight and change my attitude and mindset of food.

I suggest you brace yourself because the "wellness" experts...are coming.

Saying health is predominantly about the absence of disease is like heresy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Just wondering though, if people don't support the factual science of CI/CO why are they posting? Primarily this is what mfp is about and what the majority is here to do.
    Had a Grand Mac the other day. That's a big sandwich to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kq1981
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

I suggest you brace yourself because the "wellness" experts...are coming.

Saying health is predominantly about the absence of disease is like heresy.

I said it's also not... tried to get around that heresay lol I no we need veggies and macros ect. I'd just prefer to elimainate my own health issues by losing weight in a sustainable way and having a better relationship with food in the initial stages. I binged on junk, ate so much at times, felt horribly guilty, depressed with what and how much I was eating, ate because I was depressed ect. Mpf is working for me.
    I hope everyone finds something that works for them too
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My favorite writer, Shirley Jackson, died young after struggling with her weight her whole life. Towards the end, she wrote more on calorie logs pasted to the walls of her kitchen than behind the typewriter. Of course, she drank, smoked, and took the diet pills that were common in the day in addition to being overweight and stressed out. But her obsession with her weight and her tunnel-vision on CICO killed her quicker than if she's taken a more gradual and wholistic approach. She never did finish that last book.

I try to remember that when I get anxious about calorie intake. Goals are good, realistic goals are better, and leaving behind something more than a list of the food I eat is best.

Also, I recommend her biography, "A Rather Haunted Life". :wink:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Had a Grand Mac the other day. That's a big sandwich to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I found it disappointing. More mess than what it was worth.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Clothing... Part of the CICO equation or no?

I vote no.
    What about haircuts, manicures, nose blowing?
  • kq1981
    Options
    Debating this topic and finding a medium is like trying to find a one ended stick. I shall say no more but good luck to EVERYONE in their weight lose/health improvement journeys :smile: