Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Does dieting really make you eat more?
    http://www.enlightenprogramme.co.uk/does-dieting-really-make-you-eat-more/
    Posted on March 6, 2013 | Leave a comment
    Various research suggests that going on a diet can actually make you eat more.

When you’re happy with your weight and have never dieted, you rely on your body to tell you when to eat and (crucially) when to stop.

But when you diet, this simple process goes very wrong. My clients often say: “As soon as I decide to go on a diet, I get this desperate urge to eat!”

And, whilst they are “good” for a while and stick to the diet, if they ever break the diet and start eating, then they REALLY eat, wolfing food down like young Labrador retrievers.

The ice cream experiment
    Psychologists have investigated the effect of dieting on food intake, using dieting and non dieting students. The students were invited to eat as much ice cream as they liked after being given one of three different “pre loads”: one milk shake, two milk shakes or nothing at all.

The non dieters behaved as expected, eating less ice cream after one milk shake than none, and even less ice cream after two. But the dieters actually ate the most ice cream when they’d had the two milk shake, super sized “pre load”!

According to the psychologists, the effect of the milk shake preload was to undermine the dieters’ resolve, so they temporarily gave up their dieting abstinence. After the two milk shake pre load, the dieters decided the diet had been blown out of the water anyway, so they may as well make the most of the situation, and enjoy the ice cream!

This is a feeling which all dieters must recognise. After succumbing to one biscuit you think: “Oh, sod it, I’ve broken the diet anyway. May as well eat the whole packet, and the diet starts again tomorrow!”

The stressful film experiment
    By denying themselves, dieters also make food much more important and give it emotional significance that it does not have for non dieters. For instance, dieters are more likely than non dieters to turn to food when they are anxious or depressed.

At a recent study carried out in London, female volunteers were divided into three groups: the first went on a strict diet, the second underwent a rigorous exercise programme and the third neither dieted nor exercised.

After five weeks, the researchers measured the women’s food intake while they watched a stressful film. Bowls of sweets and nuts were left beside the women and they were told to eat as they liked. Even though none of the women were hungry, those in the diet group ate far more than the others.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=marietta1271708395&disposition=inline

Other researchers have found that guilt about chocolate consumption is also found in children aged 11,
    12, and 13, particularly among girls (Cartwright, Stritzke, Durkin, Houghton, Burke, & Beilin,
    2007). Negative reactions are not just limited to eating, as some women express dissatisfaction
    over simply being exposed to high-calorie foods (Fett, Lattimore, Roefs, Geschwind, & Jansen,
    2009).
    Despite the widespread availability of fast food and concern over its effects on the
    American diet, little has been done to study emotional reactions to fast food consumption.
    When “What Tastes Right” 8
    Following previous research on reaction to high-calorie versus low-calorie foods and filling a
    gap in fast food and gender research, the present study investigates negative emotions such as
    guilt and shame in college-aged men and women who choose to eat either fast food or salad.
    Guilt and shame are strong emotions, and understanding the role they play in fast food
    consumption may lead to a greater understanding of why people continue to eat so poorly at ever
    alarming rates.
    In an effort to qualify data, an exploratory measure was also used for people who
    choose fast food: these participants were asked to provide reasons for why they react negatively
    to fast food consumption.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Omg@26 pages
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I have binge eating disorder.
    It took medication to stop it.
    Once I dealt with the behaviour though CICO was all I did. But the fact that I had behaviours that needed correcting does not change the fact that CICO is really all it is.

So ... you say had a mental illness/eating disorder that needed active intervention to address it before you could make any weight loss progresss yet you're still advocating (in this and other threads) that people just need to focus on CICO and there's nothing more to weight management?

• crackpotbaby
    Options
    No. What I am saying is that...

CICO is how you control your weight.

If there is something preventing you from doing so... Be it eating disorder. Emotional eating. Trigger foods. Etc. Then that issue needs to be addressed.

Once the issue is addressed then it's simply CICO.

If it wasn't then I'd still be struggling with my weight despite medication and therapy.

So I guess you could consider all those other impacting things to be part of the weight loss - not just energy balance - equation.

It's fair to say the ratio of CICO is greatly affected by emotional, psychological, socioeconomic ect etc factors. Hence, all kinds of things 'matter to weight loss'.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    *following. (And my two cents: You are right, it is not the whole equation. Personally, sodium consumption, time of day I eat, and how I exercise all contribute to my weight)
    Water weight isn't fat weight. Since there is no calories in water, it shouldn't be counted as an energy source.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Russellb97
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Russellb97 I guess you have never know normal or underweight people with eating disorders. Never seen people crying over eating salad or saltines. I have. I've been there myself actually. There is tons of guilt involved. Also have you ever hung around women of every size? I'm sure you'll hear normal weight women complaining about eating to their friends. It's rampant. Not sure why you think guilt and shame are experienced by overweight people.

Never said only and I'm sorry it came out that way. I'm also not here to cause a fight. My point is when you are in control of your hunger and cravings CICO becomes far less difficult to manage.
    From my own experience, I see obesity as a mental health issue. And self-image, shame, and guilt are at the core of it.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    The difference between overweight people and non-overweight people is those who aren't trying to lose weight are not worried, stressed, frustrated, ashamed, or pre-occupied with what they are going to eat and when they will eat it. It's food controlling us or us controlling our food.

Studies have shown that overweight people exercise more often than non-overweight and non-overweight people eat more junk for than those who are overweight.

I'll tell you what, being free from the "diligence" and pre-occupation with food is almost as satisfying as losing 130 lbs.

Would you mind linking which study you are referring to in the bold?

Thank you!

Soda and sweets aren't making Americans fat. In fact, underweight Americans consume more junk food than those who are morbidly obese.
    In a new study in the journal Obesity Science & Practice, Cornell professors analyzed the food intake of about 6,000 people, according to MarketWatch. The study found that consuming more fast food, candy and soda was not correlated with higher body mass indexes—“While a diet of chocolate bars and cheeseburgers washed down with a Coke is inadvisable from a nutritional standpoint, these foods are not likely to be a leading cause of obesity."

uhvk2dj7v2u7.jpg

Do you have an actual link tho?

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/discoveries/junk-food-blame

This is the actual study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5063171/
    I just jumped to the conflict of interest statement:
    "Conflict of Interest Statement
    No conflict of interest was declared. Dr. Wansink is a member of McDonald's Global Advisory Council,..."

So, no, I'm not going to waste my time reading it.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

WHO DO THE CEO's OF BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER?
    (ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

You (Referring to the people who responded to my recent post).

??????
    What does this have to do with CICO not being the whole equation?
    How about this: why isn't the prison population full of obese people if quality of food REALLY matters?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's only really relevant if you're still talking ONLY about weight not health.

If you want to look at the impact of food quality using prison populations you would need to compare the prevalence of disease amongst this cohort to those eating a 'better' quality but equal caloric diet in the community, in a similar socioeconomic group. Not just weight.

(I don't know how to put all my qualifications in as a little footer so I'll just leave them off, heh?)
    The food quality isn't impacting their death rates much. Inmates have been living for YEARS on low quality prison food. They have a much higher chance dying of venereal disease or getting shanked, than from the food they eat on a daily basis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• crackpotbaby
    Options
    *following. (And my two cents: You are right, it is not the whole equation. Personally, sodium consumption, time of day I eat, and how I exercise all contribute to my weight)
    Water weight isn't fat weight. Since there is no calories in water, it shouldn't be counted as an energy source.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Kilograms made up of water still count as weight regardless of being devoid of energy.

You don't weigh just your fat when you step on the scales.

• crackpotbaby
    Options
    That's cool. I understand and accept that there is a difference in perception of what food means to each of us.

Let me ask another hopefully provocative question - and this is in the light that I am a quality over quantity guy, ie, I do "primal" dieting sticking to whole foods, buy all my meats pastured/grassfed from individual farmers etc.

WHO DO THE CEO's OF BIG FOOD LIKE BETTER?
    (ie, the people who make billions$$$$ off of non-whole foods, not like the farmers who I buy from who just get by).

Me

or

You (Referring to the people who responded to my recent post).

??????
    What does this have to do with CICO not being the whole equation?
    How about this: why isn't the prison population full of obese people if quality of food REALLY matters?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's only really relevant if you're still talking ONLY about weight not health.

If you want to look at the impact of food quality using prison populations you would need to compare the prevalence of disease amongst this cohort to those eating a 'better' quality but equal caloric diet in the community, in a similar socioeconomic group. Not just weight.

(I don't know how to put all my qualifications in as a little footer so I'll just leave them off, heh?)
    The food quality isn't impacting their death rates much. Inmates have been living for YEARS on low quality prison food. They have a much higher chance dying of venereal disease or getting shanked, than from the food they eat on a daily basis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

All that statement says is that it would be hard to do an actual comparison on the health of these population due to variables such as premature death by other causes.

My comment was that your point about obesity rates in prison demonstrating that diet quality was irrelevant was not really looking at the right things to draw that kind of a conclusion.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Kilograms made up of water still count as weight regardless of being devoid of energy.

Lol, okay so you weigh yourself before you pee, then after you pee. You really consider that "weight loss"? It might make one feel better, but the reality is that it had no impact on actual loss of fat.
    It's the same as gaining weight from drinking 8oz of water and weighing 8oz more after. Is someone really going to attribute that to gaining weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• crackpotbaby
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol, okay so you weigh yourself before you pee, then after you pee. You really consider that "weight loss"? It might make one feel better, but the reality is that it had no impact on actual loss of fat.
    It's the same as gaining weight from drinking 8oz of water and weighing 8oz more after. Is someone really going to attribute that to gaining weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A full bladder is hardly the same as water retained in cells due to osmotic pressures.

• ninerbuff
    edited March 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A full bladder is hardly the same as water retained in cells due to osmotic pressures.

Agreed, but if someone gains 4lbs in day after a high sodium meal the day before even though they ate within calorie restrictions, it's pretty obvious that it's water weight gain and shouldn't be construed as being a CICO issue. That's the point I'm making here.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• crackpotbaby
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agreed, but if someone gains 4lbs in day after a high sodium meal the day before even though they ate within calorie restrictions, it's pretty obvious that it's water weight gain and shouldn't be construed as being a CICO issue. That's the point I'm making here.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

True but for person with a diet chronically high in sodium causing greater retention of water then it would certainly be a factor impacting their weight. It's not a CICO issue but it IS a contributing factor to weight loss/gain.