Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    *following. (And my two cents: You are right, it is not the whole equation. Personally, sodium consumption, time of day I eat, and how I exercise all contribute to my weight)
    Water weight isn't fat weight. Since there is no calories in water, it shouldn't be counted as an energy source.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Kilograms made up of water still count as weight regardless of being devoid of energy.

You don't weigh just your fat when you step on the scales.
    Lol, okay so you weigh yourself before you pee, then after you pee. You really consider that "weight loss"? It might make one feel better, but the reality is that it had no impact on actual loss of fat.
    It's the same as gaining weight from drinking 8oz of water and weighing 8oz more after. Is someone really going to attribute that to gaining weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A full bladder is hardly the same as water retained in cells due to osmotic pressures.

Agreed, but if someone gains 4lbs in day after a high sodium meal the day before even though they ate within calorie restrictions, it's pretty obvious that it's water weight gain and shouldn't be construed as being a CICO issue. That's the point I'm making here.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

True but for person with a diet chronically high in sodium causing greater retention of water then it would certainly be a factor impacting their weight. It's not a CICO issue but it IS a contributing factor to weight loss/gain.
    Not if the sodium intake was consistent though. I've had quite a few clients who are/were Asian and soy sauce is very common in just about every dish. I tell them only to reduce it if they have high blood pressure issue/hypertension issues. But if they don't, then I tell them it's fine. Weight loss still happens if they're in deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    *following. (And my two cents: You are right, it is not the whole equation. Personally, sodium consumption, time of day I eat, and how I exercise all contribute to my weight)
    Water weight isn't fat weight. Since there is no calories in water, it shouldn't be counted as an energy source.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Kilograms made up of water still count as weight regardless of being devoid of energy.

Lol, okay so you weigh yourself before you pee, then after you pee. You really consider that "weight loss"? It might make one feel better, but the reality is that it had no impact on actual loss of fat.
    It's the same as gaining weight from drinking 8oz of water and weighing 8oz more after. Is someone really going to attribute that to gaining weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A full bladder is hardly the same as water retained in cells due to osmotic pressures.

Agreed, but if someone gains 4lbs in day after a high sodium meal the day before even though they ate within calorie restrictions, it's pretty obvious that it's water weight gain and shouldn't be construed as being a CICO issue. That's the point I'm making here.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

True but for person with a diet chronically high in sodium causing greater retention of water then it would certainly be a factor impacting their weight. It's not a CICO issue but it IS a contributing factor to weight loss/gain.
    Not if the sodium intake was consistent though. I've had quite a few clients who are/were Asian and soy sauce is very common in just about every dish. I tell them only to reduce it if they have high blood pressure issue/hypertension issues. But if they don't, then I tell them it's fine. Weight loss still happens if they're in deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course. But that water is still part of their body. Part of what they weigh. A factor to their weight. It still gets measured.

Also, even if a person is normotensive they still should be eating below the recommend maximum dietary intake. Those recommendations are for the standard person, not one already diagnosed with hypertension.

• crackpotbaby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    No. What I am saying is that...

CICO is how you control your weight.

If there is something preventing you from doing so... Be it eating disorder. Emotional eating. Trigger foods. Etc. Then that issue needs to be addressed.

Once the issue is addressed then it's simply CICO.

If it wasn't then I'd still be struggling with my weight despite medication and therapy.

So I guess you could consider all those other impacting things to be part of the weight loss - not just energy balance - equation.

It's fair to say the ratio of CICO is greatly affected by emotional, psychological, socioeconomic ect etc factors. Hence, all kinds of things 'matter to weight loss'.

None of those things have anything whatsoever to do with CICO. CICO is simply energy balance - all those mental, emotional, socioeconomic, etc. factors don't affect it in the least. They affect the process of losing weight, but none of them change or negate the laws of energy balance in any way, shape or form. I have no idea how any "ratio" comes into play there.

It's like somebody explaining how an internal combustion engine works, and then somebody else comes along and says "Yeah, but what if you can't afford a car, or what if you can't read or write so you can't take a driver's license test, or what if you don't know how to drive, or what if you're blind, or what if you get lost easily, or what if you live somewhere where somebody would steal your car, or what if you lose your keys?". None of those things have anything to do with the fact that an internal combustion engine works by compressing and combusting a fuel source.

If you read what I wrote, I said they could be considered as part of the weight loss equation.

Not just the CICO energy balance equation.

ETA - the ratio potion of my comment makes reference to the fact that CI and CO are affected by extrinsic and intrinsic factors.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It should be noted, that water fluctuations from sodium are largely driven by how swings in sodium (i.e., after a big night out). If you are consistently high (always around 5k), that won't really happen. I found the below video fairly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKk9tbNrfQ
  • crackpotbaby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It should be noted, that water fluctuations from sodium are largely driven by how swings in sodium (i.e., after a big night out). If you are consistently high (always around 5k), that won't really happen. I found the below video fairly interesting.

Of course fluctuations are largely driven by changes. That's kinda stating the obvious.

That does not mean that water retention (sporadic or chronic) is not incorporated into a person's weight.

A kilogram is a kilogram - a unit of measurement just as a calorie is a unit of measurement whether that kilo is muscle, fat or water retained through excess sodium, hormonal influence or disease process ...

Sure, that kilo effects body composition but it still is part of what a person weighs, and therefor has a bearing on weight.

With that in mind, to say CICO is the only thing affecting WEIGHTLOSS is not entirely true.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course. But that water is still part of their body. Part of what they weigh. A factor to their weight. It still gets measured.

Also, even if a person is normotensive they still should be eating below the recommend maximum dietary intake. Those recommendations are for the standard person, not one already diagnosed with hypertension.

Water weight usually fluctuates. You're being rather pedantic.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    No. What I am saying is that...

CICO is how you control your weight.

If there is something preventing you from doing so... Be it eating disorder. Emotional eating. Trigger foods. Etc. Then that issue needs to be addressed.

Once the issue is addressed then it's simply CICO.

If it wasn't then I'd still be struggling with my weight despite medication and therapy.

So I guess you could consider all those other impacting things to be part of the weight loss - not just energy balance - equation.

It's fair to say the ratio of CICO is greatly affected by emotional, psychological, socioeconomic ect etc factors. Hence, all kinds of things 'matter to weight loss'.

Why is this so hard?

CICO is the energy balance.

Psychological factors aren't energy balance. They are separate issues, just like nutrition is a separate issue.

Why are they being conflated?

Again, I will reiterate what I said pages and pages ago: CICO isn't the only weight loss equation we sometimes need to focus on, but just because it's not the only one doesn't mean it's not valid by itself. It's still the main driver of fat loss.

I'd like to know what's so hard here too, cause it seems to me you are acknowledging the same factors as I have, but in a far more aggressive and condescending way while seeming unable to either recognise or acknowledge (could be either) that they ALL have some bearing on weight loss.

• psuLemon
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course fluctuations are largely driven by changes. That's kinda stating the obvious.

That does not mean that water retention (sporadic or chronic) is not incorporated into a person's weight.

A kilogram is a kilogram - a unit of measurement just as a calorie is a unit of measurement whether that kilo is muscle, fat or water retained through excess sodium, hormonal influence or disease process ...

Sure, that kilo effects body composition but it still is part of what a person weighs, and therefor has a bearing on weight.

With that in mind, to say CICO is the only thing affecting WEIGHTLOSS is not entirely true.

CICO drives fat loss, maintenance or sustainment. No one is argument natural water weight fluctuations. That would be ridiculous.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

CICO drives fat loss, maintenance or sustainment. No one is argument natural water weight fluctuations. That would be ridiculous.

Exactly.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Exactly.

Than what are you even arguing?
  • crackpotbaby
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Water weight usually fluctuates. You're being rather pedantic.

You might note, my 'pedantic' comment to be in direct response to some other users preceding posts.

• crackpotbaby
    edited March 2017
    Options

Exactly.

Again, if you actually read the preceding posts you would see the progression of that conversation.

Or you could just read my posts in isolation. Even if you actually took note of what I wrote you would understand the point I'm making unless it is your own comprehension skills that are lacking.

My point is that things other than CI:CO as a direct ratio DO have bearing to what a person weighs (as in numbers on a scale) including the factors that influence their what their CI or CO sits at and other factors such water retention etc etc. I'm not disputing that to reduce body weight there must be a deficit in energy balance.

I'm just saying other things matter too.

• crackpotbaby
    Options

Exactly.

Again, if you actually read the preceding posts you would see the progression of that conversation.

Or you could just read my posts in isolation. Even if you actually took note of what I wrote you would understand the point I'm making unless it is your own comprehension skills that are lacking.

My point is that things other than CI:CO as a direct ratio DO have bearing to what a person weighs (as in numbers on a scale) including the factors that influence their what their CI or CO sits at and other factors such water retention etc etc. I'm not disputing that to reduce body weight there must be a deficit in energy balance.

I have read every single post on here. Thinking I haven't, is ignorance on your part. So please do not make assumptions.

CICO is energy balance. It's the computation of net fat loss/gain over time. Not water weight.

Yet somehow you still have missed my point.

Perhaps I'm a terrible communicator. Let's run with that, hey? I'm off to bed. Night.

• psuLemon
    Options

Exactly.

I have read every single post on here. Thinking I haven't, is ignorance on your part. So please do not make assumptions.

CICO is energy balance. It's the computation of net fat loss/gain over time. Not water weight.

Perhaps I'm a terrible communicator. Let's run with that, hey? I'm off to bed. Night.

That is probably what I would suggest.

And water weight really only matters to a subset of people, especially those who are new or don't understand what they really want. People really want fat loss because over time it drives a leaner body. They care about water weight for basic motivation in the beginning (or if they have an event) but outside of that, it's a non issue. I have never cared about the daily fluctuations or a specific number. I have only cared about what I look like. But I also dont' have any crap going on in my head, lol
  • crackpotbaby
    Options

Exactly.

That is probably what I would suggest.

And water weight really only matters to a subset of people, especially those who are new or don't understand what they really want. People really want fat loss because over time it drives a leaner body. They care about water weight for basic motivation in the beginning (or if they have an event) but outside of that, it's a non issue. I have never cared about the daily fluctuations or a specific number. I have only cared about what I look like. But I also dont' have any crap going on in my head, lol

As someone who is neither new (I first used mfp in 2012 under a different account), or overweight, or concerned with water fluctuations my opinions are certainly not driven by that kind of perspective.

My discussion posts (particularly about sodium and water retention) have been in response to other users as part of a reasonable conversation, and I'm some cases commenting on statements made by others that are not entirely true or exploring the contributing factors and the impact this has on what a person weighs.

I'm not sure why you take such offence at that.

Any way aren't moderators meant to moderate discussion boards rather than latch on to sub sections of conversation and insult other community members?

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    water weight really only matters to a subset of people, especially those who are new or don't understand what they really want.

^^^This...