123457»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    no
    [

No one, not one single poster here, is trying to eat you alive. We are trying to reassure a vulnerable, upset teenager that eating the food she has available won't hurt her. When you say things like "should be part of no person's diet" or that these foods are not fine even in moderation (as you did) you may be doing more harm than good to the poor OP who hasn't come back since.

No but I have expressed that i feel really upset and just out of kindness people should give it a break, listen to what the issue is at hand... I cannot delete my post... and I never even directed that point I made in the post at the OP. Basically people interpret things how ever they want, but when somebody is upset people should just drop it as sensitive adults... nobody has any idea where people are at emotionally and how a thread like this can effect somebody I have been here for only three weeks, I don't automatically understand the culture here... lesson learnt for me I guess..

Don't get upset none of this is personal, also don't be put off responding again. It's your community as well as everyone else's.
    Having different opinions is ok. I tell my daughter all the time we don't have to agree or like the same things.,

Kiwiapplepear, hang in here and don't give up! Use this time to learn as much as you can. I've been on the MFP forums for just over 6 months and have learned from a variety of people.

You do you, and if it works for you then that is your experience. We all are different and there are several topics that people tend to debate over and over.

Honestly the body is very adaptable with choice of diet. The most important thing in order to lose weight is to find a diet that is sustainable where one can keep a deficit.

Please keep posting. Like others mentioned, it is difficult when you feel ganged up on, but don't take it personally. It has more to do with the topic than with you.

ETA: OP there are foods at McDonald's that are reasonable with calories. For example, sometimes I get the grilled chicken a la carte (no bun) -- they only charge $2.09 for it in our area. I buy a side salad or have them put the grilled chicken on the side salad. I often order that if I am with family or friends ordering at McDonald's.

The smaller value burgers don't have a huge amount of calories either. McDonald's has a calorie list now also which makes it easy to fit their food into a diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    When I read "slobs" in the title I knew it would be incendiary, but I get the idea. When you are surrounded by people who are making an effort to look after their health and fitness (as I am in this online community of MFP), it's easier to make it your own priority too. When you are surrounded by people who are not making an effort at the moment, for whatever reason, it's harder to blaze your own trail. I'm not at all suggesting that every single person that eats at McDonald's is not making health and fitness a priority in their life. I eat at McDonalds. But overall, yes, I would agree that it's not really a health and fitness kind of community.

I wouldn't be willing to generalize like that about people who just happen to work at McD's, and in reality that's who she's surrounded by (as well as her peers, friends, family), not the random McD's customers.

Agree, though, that social circle matters, in that when the people around you are into fitness it's easier and when they are not it can be harder.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When I read "slobs" in the title I knew it would be incendiary, but I get the idea. When you are surrounded by people who are making an effort to look after their health and fitness (as I am in this online community of MFP), it's easier to make it your own priority too. When you are surrounded by people who are not making an effort at the moment, for whatever reason, it's harder to blaze your own trail. I'm not at all suggesting that every single person that eats at McDonald's is not making health and fitness a priority in their life. I eat at McDonalds. But overall, yes, I would agree that it's not really a health and fitness kind of community.

I wouldn't be willing to generalize like that about people who just a happen to work at McD's, and in reality that's who she's surrounded by (as well as her peers, friends, family), not the random McD's customers.

Whoever it is that she is surrounded by (customers, peers, friends and family), they are, in her view, not making image a priority.

Does % BF and inattention to appearance go hand in hand? I can think of examples on either side of the discussion, but for me personally, they often do. The slimmer and fitter I get, the more of an effort I tend to make in my appearance generally. Is it still an insulting association? Yes.

It reminds me a little of "sugar is the devil" thinking. Part of gearing yourself up for the battle of the bulge can be to assign overly negative connotations to anything that you feel might be standing in your way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I wouldn't be willing to generalize like that about people who just a happen to work at McD's, and in reality that's who she's surrounded by (as well as her peers, friends, family), not the random McD's customers.

Whoever it is that she is surrounded by (customers, peers, friends and family), they are, in her view, not making image a priority.

Despite the title of the thread, she doesn't actually say this (which is something I only just noticed by going back and looking at it). She complains about the food at McD's and her family (and we don't know how old she is). So I guess this leads to another recommendation: OP, if you feel that your interest in fitness is not supported by your friends and family, what have you tried? Maybe making friends with people into fitness or trying to get your family interested in some fitness stuff/healthy eating (which may or may not work, but you don't know it til you try making some delicious meals that also happen to be healthy or start a conversation about fitness).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Well, an interesting issue has been raised now, just how much we let outside factors influence us. I'm not terribly influenced by the habits of other people around me because my goals are my own. I guess I'm just not seeing how being surrounded by other people doing their thing holds such sway.

I'm motivated, perhaps, to keep up with the fitter looking young moms I see at the grocery store, but I don't find it de-motivating to see people participate in behaviors that would set me back in my goals. I'm free to make different choices that get me where I want to be.

I don't see the issue.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So, some background: I am a teenage girl who has always been interested in weight loss, especially seeing as I have always struggled with it. I exercise fairly actively, likely not enough (run to school every other morning, usually do some exercise before bed, go on regular long walks, etc) but despite this, I have always struggled to get fit and healthy.

Now, mind you, I am by no means overly obese: I'm 5'5 at around 135lbs, and I usually have energy and the ability to do things. I just really want to get healthy, not only just to be healthy, but I could really use the self esteem boost.

Problem is, I work at a McDonald's practically across the street where I live, and even the "healthier" options are packed full of sugars and carbs and calories that nobody needs. I don't make enough, either, to be buying my own groceries for myself and my family, which would be useless anyways, being as they hardly have any idea of healthy food. Most of the garbage to eat is all chips and brownies and cookies and bread, which REALLY sucks when you're trying to eat healthy.

So, I guess my question is, how do I manage to be healthier and not eat the garbage at our house while also not depriving myself of anything to eat?

OP... It is difficult to be surrounded by the "empty" calorie rich tempting foods. Perhaps McDonald's can be a help in that at least it does have some alternatives to high calories if you are wise. Plus there are protein choices which will help stave off hunger and some veggies which can add some fiber.

In addition, you could make up a menu food list at home and your parents could buy you some nutritious healthy foods to eat as alternatives to the normal food fare. They can't read your mind and might, in fact, be amenable. Your parents could surprise you and get on board to lose weight themselves, and then you will have allies. But you are a good normal middle BMI weight and should be working towards maintenance, IMO.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well, an interesting issue has been raised now, just how much we let outside factors influence us. I'm not terribly influenced by the habits of other people around me because my goals are my own. I guess I'm just not seeing how being surrounded by other people doing their thing holds such sway.

I'm motivated, perhaps, to keep up with the fitter looking young moms I see at the grocery store, but I don't find it de-motivating to see people participate in behaviors that would set me back in my goals. I'm free to make different choices that get me where I want to be.

I don't see the issue.

I do see like-minded people flocking together who are positively influencing each other. This is a purpose of the MFP discussion boards, one would hope.

On the other hand, teenagers are notorious for sharing food while hanging out which could make OP de-motivated at times. I think that it is great that she has the courage to reach out to the MFP Community (if she is 18 years old).

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I don't see the issue.

I do see like-minded people flocking together who are positively influencing each other. This is a purpose of the MFP discussion boards, one would hope.

On the other hand, teenagers are notorious for sharing food while hanging out which could make OP de-motivated at times. I think that it is great that she has the courage to reach out to the MFP Community (if she is 18 years old).

If you think my two statement contradict each other, they don't. Influence, in terms of affecting behavior to change, and motivation in terms of being inspired, are two different things. I find the young moms balancing it all inspiring. I don't find people engaging in unhealthy behavior to be a negative influence. Does that clarify things for you?

As for the OP, she works at McDonald's and is judging her clientele and her family. That's not her place. Her use of the word slobs was inappropriate and ill-advised. I don't think her using the language she did was her way of reaching out. She didn't sound like she wanted help, she sounded like she wanted to brag about her fitness. I know you have teenagers, so do I. I'm surprised you can't tell the difference between a mouthy one and a genuine one.

She has some growing up to do.

As it stands, my points were addressing issues another poster raised. As to your point of like-minded people flocking together, sharing a common interest doesn't necessarily mean one has to march in lock step with everyone. For example, I don't lift very heavy, even though I know it would benefit me. I lift heavy enough, but super heavy is just not my thing. It's quite the thing on here to be a heavy lifter. Meh. Not for me. Neither are barbells.

Teens can and should learn how to get past group think.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    OP, I hear what you are saying, and I'm not going to question your choices, but I just want to mention a few things. And, I'm not going to read these 5 pages, so this may have already been addressed, but:

1) As an employee of McDonalds, why not elevate your concerns to the corporate office and maybe they can offer up some guidance on what they consider to be healthy and cost effective. I'd love to know why an egg white delight costs 2x more than an egg mcmuffin, which costs 2x more than a sausage egg biscuit...

2) You have a job - why can't you go to the grocery store and buy your own food? That is what I did when I had my first job and was living with my parents. If you are not buying pre-packaged food, the cost difference isn't that much - especially compared to fast food costs.

3) If you have such a moral objection to the healthiness of McDonalds food, why do you work there? Go work somewhere else that you find to be healthier or get out of food service altogether. I personally have found it difficult to work at a place that I didn't care about or have respect for.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure OP's statement "Problem is, I work at a McDonald's practically across the street where I live, and even the "healthier" options are packed full of sugars and carbs and calories that nobody needs." really equates to 'a moral objection to the healthiness of it'

and the job is right across street from where she lives (i am assuming she doesnt have her own car since she is still at school) and I dont think teenagers at school have a huge plethora of part time job options - so I think it is fairly obvious why she works there - it is convenient and it is the sort of place offering part time work to students at school.

Also any food she buys will cost more than her fast food costs - since she gets free food there as an employee

and I dont realy think corporate office will be that interested in giving her guidance on what to eat when she is at work - thats the sort of decision individuals make for themselves (with MFP'ers advice perhaps ;) ) but not the sort of thing I would write to corporate office about.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure OP's statement "Problem is, I work at a McDonald's practically across the street where I live, and even the "healthier" options are packed full of sugars and carbs and calories that nobody needs." really equates to 'a moral objection to the healthiness of it'

and the job is right across street from where she lives (i am assuming she doesnt have her own car since she is still at school) and I dont think teenagers at school have a huge plethora of part time job options - so I think it is fairly obvious why she works there - it is convenient and it is the sort of place offering part time work to students at school.

Also any food she buys will cost more than her fast food costs - since she gets free food there as an employee

and I dont realy think corporate office will be that interested in giving her guidance on what to eat when she is at work - thats the sort of decision individuals make for themselves (with MFP'ers advice perhaps ;) ) but not the sort of thing I would write to corporate office about.

so your suggestion is to just continue to deal with the current situation. Don't try to change your situation or fix anything?

You are making a lot of assumptions - maybe you are right, maybe not. When I was a teenager, I had a car that I could use (it was actually a question of every interview I went on - do you have reliable transportation?) and I could choose to work pretty much anywhere that had a job opening. It might be more convenient, but if you don't like it, move on.

My point is, if you don't like the situation, change it and don't just be a bystander.

As for the corporate office, I think they would be interested in knowing that they have employees that feel they have to eat free food that they feel is unhealthy because they can't afford anything else. They might be able to guide the OP to healthier options. I'm guessing that all the food on the menu is NOT on the free employee menu...

finally, I DO think the OP has on some level a "moral objection" to the food. I'll have to agree - I don't think McDonalds is healthy to eat on a regular basis even if you stay within your calorie limits. You can lose weight eating nothing but McDonalds, but I don't think that is the best choice. The problem as described reads to me that "I either have a choice of eating junk food at work or junk food at home and I don't know how to deal with it".

Furthermore, the working of her post is pretty apparent - "world full of slobs", "even the "healthier" options", "sugars and carbs and calories that nobody needs", "they hardly have any idea of healthy food", "Most of the garbage to eat"... I'd say that kind of wording is on the moral objection side of things.

Anyways, I just looked and the OP has 1 post and apparently never came back, so it doesn't really matter.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Probably OP got scared off early on.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »

so your suggestion is to just continue to deal with the current situation. Don't try to change your situation or fix anything?

You are making a lot of assumptions - maybe you are right, maybe not. When I was a teenager, I had a car that I could use (it was actually a question of every interview I went on - do you have reliable transportation?) and I could choose to work pretty much anywhere that had a job opening. It might be more convenient, but if you don't like it, move on.

My point is, if you don't like the situation, change it and don't just be a bystander.

As for the corporate office, I think they would be interested in knowing that they have employees that feel they have to eat free food that they feel is unhealthy because they can't afford anything else. They might be able to guide the OP to healthier options. I'm guessing that all the food on the menu is NOT on the free employee menu...

finally, I DO think the OP has on some level a "moral objection" to the food. I'll have to agree - I don't think McDonalds is healthy to eat on a regular basis even if you stay within your calorie limits. You can lose weight eating nothing but McDonalds, but I don't think that is the best choice. The problem as described reads to me that "I either have a choice of eating junk food at work or junk food at home and I don't know how to deal with it".

Furthermore, the working of her post is pretty apparent - "world full of slobs", "even the "healthier" options", "sugars and carbs and calories that nobody needs", "they hardly have any idea of healthy food", "Most of the garbage to eat"... I'd say that kind of wording is on the moral objection side of things.

Anyways, I just looked and the OP has 1 post and apparently never came back, so it doesn't really matter.

Yes I said I was assuming she didnt have a car - I dont think most teenagers at school do.

But I wasnt assuming the workplace is across the road from her home - because she said herself it was.
    She doesnt need reliable transportation - the workplace is just across the road.

and I see no reason why some foods would be ok for employees to have free but not others - why on earth would they be ok with her having fries but not apple slices, for example??

and No, sorry - I totally dont think corporate office are interested in guiding individual employee's food choices.

Yes My suggestion is continue with the current working situation. OP has not said she is unhappy with the job and after all, it is a part time job whilst at school, not a long term carreer choice.

She can change the food she eats there and/or take food from home without going to the OTT step of not working there at all.