14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• TrinitySkies
    TrinitySkies Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    No I don't have any medical issues (that I know of) and I haven't deliberately gotten this low I feel like I eat a decent amount

If you ate a decent amount (how many calories is that?), you would be a decent weight. You're starving your body down to nothing.

That's pretty rude. He said he eats 3 meals a day. He just has a high metabolism body type and needs to figure out how he can gain.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    No I don't have any medical issues (that I know of) and I haven't deliberately gotten this low I feel like I eat a decent amount

If you ate a decent amount (how many calories is that?), you would be a decent weight. You're starving your body down to nothing.

That's pretty rude. He said he eats 3 meals a day. He just has a high metabolism body type and needs to figure out how he can gain.

Six meals a day? More calories each meal? I guess there's also a gaining weight subforum and he could start from there
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    bex10milf wrote: »
    Your full of s**t mate. A BMI of 15 is classed as severely underweight. Why is everyone still entertaining this clown?? He has some serious mental health issues. It seems to me he's just craving the attention..

That was my first impression as well, but now I am starting to think he is just an undereducated kid who doesn't know any better and who probably has something VERY serious medically going on. (if he doesn't have an ED)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

That is not true. People with high metabolisms dont randomly lose 30lbs in two months to the point where they are at such an emaciated BMI.

^^^this..

Plus, how in the world was that rude? It's just stating a fact.
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would use this app in order to gain weight. Try to eat five or six meals a day. try to include all 3 macros at every meal. Do not depend on eating lots of fried foods because the extra oils are empty calories with no nutrition. need more nutrition as well as calories. set the goals for gaining 1 pound per week. please see your doctor as soon as possible.
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Get blood work done to find out if you have hyperthyroidism
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would use this app in order to gain weight. Try to eat five or six meals a day. try to include all 3 macros at every meal. Do not depend on eating lots of fried foods because the extra oils are empty calories with no nutrition. need more nutrition as well as calories. set the goals for gaining 1 pound per week. please see your doctor as soon as possible.

He probably wants to gain muscle mass.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

He probably wants to gain muscle mass.

He needs to gain a fair amount of fat and muscle mass. He needs to gain weight period.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    OP: Did the doctor actually say you were fine, or did he possibly say, "it's probably nothing, but I want to do some tests?"

That would be far more typical for a doctor to say.

Also, as I was looking at BMI information, 20 year olds just fall into the category of children (I know I find it weird too) and they go by percentiles. Having said that, even with that he is is the bottom percentiles. That could lead to a doctor saying it is probably nothing, but I want to do some tests.
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OP: Did the doctor actually say you were fine, or did he possibly say, "it's probably nothing, but I want to do some tests?"

The Dr looked at my bmi and said "15 that's fine" and then said he couldn't see anything wrong on the surface so hes gonna book me for a fasting blood test
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options

The Dr looked at my bmi and said "15 that's fine" and then said he couldn't see anything wrong on the surface so hes gonna book me for a fasting blood test

I presume you are going to have a follow up appointment? If so, I would clarify if the 15 BMI is acceptable. Literally ask: "what is a healthy range for me?" It's possible you misheard or that you missed something. In the meantime, you probably want to try and up your calories.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    A lot of doctors are idiots when it comes to weight didbyou trll him you lost so much without trying
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like the doctor is trying to be reassuring and also honest - he 'can't see anything wrong on the surface' I would take to mean he can't tell immediatly what the cause is - hence he is ordering some tests.

Sounds reasonable approach to me.