What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not targeting anyone here, I know I'm guilty of this myself. But..

Why is it that we cannot accept when someone tells us we are beautiful, but we adorn ourselves with comparisons to celebrities.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    Options

No that was me 😘

It ain't creepy when the other person reciprocates 😉
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

No that was me 😘

Like a dog as I paws and pant 😉
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not targeting anyone here, I know I'm guilty of this myself. But..

Why is it that we cannot accept when someone tells us we are beautiful, but we adorn ourselves with comparisons to celebrities.

But I'm confused... Comparisons to celebraties?

Well I do get a lighter Urkel sometimes 🤷🏽‍♂️

th?id=OGC.206453b44f1f031809fca071ca4aa53b&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f9wGjpl8z1CJ5m%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=n8tDSCFaz7WC9C8WLY6O8Q
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

idk me personally i love it when someone tells me im pretty

i think this may come down to being a woman/man issue though.
    like most guys wanna hear they resemble a celebrity because it feeds the ego a bit and the ego can (but not always) be used to drive yourself harder (from my own perspective as a guy at least)

but i *think* a lot of girls may just feel insecure when compared to a celebrity because instead of driving the ego, it can force it into retreat by making them view themselves as "less than" in some kinda way i.e. "im not as pretty as her" "guys will never like me like her" etc etc
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options

The industry as a whole is geared to make people feel inadequate. Those insecurities force you to purchase products in hopes to achieve that 'ideal look'. It's more of a marketing gimmick than anything but has really adverse effects on self esteem and appearance. It's sad really but most people are extremely impressionable so it is effective.

Oh I get it now...

I once listened to this book written by a personal trainer and he said that just about all fitness models pushing products are on steroids...

It's not like there is any type of antidoping athletic commission that regulates models...
  • RhiAnLewis17
    Options

I just mean that if someone tells us we look like a celebrity who we find attractive we accept that as a compliment to our appearance, but not when someone compliments our appearance directly...
    Did that make more sense? Maybe I made it clear as mud.

The industry as a whole is geared to make people feel inadequate. Those insecurities force you to purchase products in hopes to achieve that 'ideal look'. It's more of a marketing gimmick than anything but has really adverse effects on self esteem and appearance. It's sad really but most people are extremely impressionable so it is effective.

This is the thing, the ideal look changes so frequently that it's unattainable, and many people forget that what is ideal to one person may not be to another. You are right, people are impressionable, and there is a lot of focus within social media currently on achieving the perfect body. Sometimes this is geared towards self-acceptance but inherently incites self-sabotage due to feeling inadequate.

I was making reference also to the fact that if someone compliments our appearance we may be reluctant to accept the admiration for fear of being called narcissistic, whereas we will accept a vicarious compliment in the guise of a comparison to an attractive celebrity.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm like Mickey Rourke...the older, really haggard one...sans the plastic work.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options

I just mean that if someone tells us we look like a celebrity who we find attractive we accept that as a compliment to our appearance, but not when someone compliments our appearance directly...
    Did that make more sense? Maybe I made it clear as mud.

This is the thing, the ideal look changes so frequently that it's unattainable, and many people forget that what is ideal to one person may not be to another. You are right, people are impressionable, and there is a lot of focus within social media currently on achieving the perfect body. Sometimes this is geared towards self-acceptance but inherently incites self-sabotage due to feeling inadequate.

I was making reference also to the fact that if someone compliments our appearance we may be reluctant to accept the admiration for fear of being called narcissistic, whereas we will accept a vicarious compliment in the guise of a comparison to an attractive celebrity.

This reminds me of one time at work... I was coming out of the locker and stopped in front of the mirror in my uni for a once over...

My Boss walked past me and said sarcastically "You look very cute Jesse" 😂😂😂

You had to have been there, we're all blue collar guys so it was hilarious in many respects
  • RhiAnLewis17
    edited February 2019
    Options
    iMago wrote: »

idk me personally i love it when someone tells me im pretty

i think this may come down to being a woman/man issue though.
    like most guys wanna hear they resemble a celebrity because it feeds the ego a bit and the ego can (but not always) be used to drive yourself harder (from my own perspective as a guy at least)

but i *think* a lot of girls may just feel insecure when compared to a celebrity because instead of driving the ego, it can force it into retreat by making them view themselves as "less than" in some kinda way i.e. "im not as pretty as her" "guys will never like me like her" etc etc

Yeah, I see what you're getting at here, if a male is compared to someone who they aspire to be like it may reinforce that their goals are achievable and that they are making progress. If you see

And, yes you make a good point about comparing females to celebrities, however, it depends what you are commenting on. Maybe an individual will be more likely to see it as a compliment rather than a detriment if they have put energy into enhancing their similarities, and thus it's a comment that their efforts are coming to fruition.

I used to get much more embarrassed when someone complimented me, I guess that boils down to feeling unworthy of the compliment. However, I tried to change that and become better at accepting compliments because I considered that if I deny someone their opinion, even on something so trivial as my appearance it could lead to them feeling invalidated. And that would make me feel incredibly guilty.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    Options

No that was me 😘

And .... drool?

FYI... if I call you cute, it's not sarcasm.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    Options
    I just want to jump in here to say that all well-meaning compliments are gratefully accepted by me, with or without comparisons.

Blow me a kiss any day beautiful, I loved that pic 😘💖
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options

No that was me 😘

And .... drool?

FYI... if I call you cute, it's not sarcasm.

Sorry it's the over bite... Just turn the pillow over 😂

❤️❤️❤️
    Validate me bahby 😉