What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Just get rid of that stupid *kitten* button. It enables passive-aggressive pricks more than it diffuses potentially explosive arguments. Let’s not put more weapons in the hands of anonymous trolls. Let’s find ways to help us see that there is an actual person on the other end of that online exchange. Let’s enable and encourage respect for dissenting opinions. Let people politely disagree because that’s what humans are capable of.

Agreed

Endorsed

*butt slap* for good measure

+ 1

+2
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    Just get rid of that stupid *kitten* button. It enables passive-aggressive pricks more than it diffuses potentially explosive arguments. Let’s not put more weapons in the hands of anonymous trolls. Let’s find ways to help us see that there is an actual person on the other end of that online exchange. Let’s enable and encourage respect for dissenting opinions. Let people politely disagree because that’s what humans are capable of.

that button doesn't mean anything. it never has. it never will.

Ehh. That’s like saying a smile and a frown are worth the same from a stranger. One will make you feel better than the other. Saying the button doesn’t mean anything doesn’t make it not mean anything to people for whom it means something

My view is that mpf isn't about negative reactions, otherwise there'd be a down vote. Mfp is way too vanilla to allow for negative (and sadly, honest) uncensored opinions. So "woo" cannot be a negative reaction, mfp wouldn't allow it.

Except that a majority see it that way, so there's that.

At first a lot of us took it as a "fun" woo-hoo type of agreement when our 'awesome' was taken away, so I thought anyhow.

I don't like it now that I know it hurts some people's feelings, so I don't use it.

Honesty I would prefer a straight up down vote.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Ehh. That’s like saying a smile and a frown are worth the same from a stranger. One will make you feel better than the other. Saying the button doesn’t mean anything doesn’t make it not mean anything to people for whom it means something

My view is that mpf isn't about negative reactions, otherwise there'd be a down vote. Mfp is way too vanilla to allow for negative (and sadly, honest) uncensored opinions. So "woo" cannot be a negative reaction, mfp wouldn't allow it.

At first a lot of us took it as a "fun" woo-hoo type of agreement when our 'awesome' was taken away, so I thought anyhow.

I don't like it now that I know it hurts some people's feelings, so I don't use it.

I liked getting woo’d before but when they redid the buttons they also reset everyone’s woo’s to zero and announced it was officially a negative reaction. I know some people have continued to use it but it definitely has a negative gut-feel now when you get one.
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options

trust me i get that ^ heck that's why im always telling women to smile more.

no but seriously i think those things are tangible at least. they have a face to go with them. you may know the person who gives you either of them. they have weight.

a button online doesn't have that.

it's even shielded by anonymity. in fact, letting it bother you only gives the person who's doing it more power over you. they get to remain anonymous AND they get to know how it bothers you. dont ever let someone have that kind of power over you.

This is why I don't give woo'ers headspace. I don't want them to think they have power over how they will make me feel. That's also why I just come and say what I gotta say and then go lol
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options

no but seriously i think those things are tangible at least. they have a face to go with them. you may know the person who gives you either of them. they have weight.

it's even shielded by anonymity. in fact, letting it bother you only gives the person who's doing it more power over you. they get to remain anonymous AND they get to know how it bothers you. dont ever let someone have that kind of power over you.

I wants to start wooing people in a postive way. Some certain person, shall remain nameless, has taken the inspiring button over. I feel a lil slutty hugging everyone.
    Nah I'm a huge sloot! 😁❤
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

This is why I don't give woo'ers headspace. I don't want them to think they have power over how they will make me feel. That's also why I just come and say what I gotta say and then go lol

exactly. it's only got whatever value you care to assign to it.

ive said it before and I'll say it again: the whole thing takes on a really high level of hilarity if you imagine it as someone "woo-ing a lover" instead of it being negative.

with that value assigned i like to think that the woo-er has a LOT of love to share and tbh I'd love to see them in adult films.
  • Tankiscool
    Options
    my big fear is that anytime i get woo it’s a friend who secretly hates me

Who dafuque would hate you?!

Screw em if they do. Stay far from the timid, only make moves when your hearts in it.
  • Tankiscool
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

I wants to start wooing people in a postive way. Some certain person, shall remain nameless, has taken the inspiring button over. I feel a lil slutty hugging everyone.
    Nah I'm a huge sloot! 😁❤

It used to be like woo! But they change it with that emoji on the side

Same!
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there was so much complexity to these buttons!!!
  • Tankiscool
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

Nah I'm a huge sloot! 😁❤

That Richard found this inspiring again! What a Richard!

Jk ❤
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

I liked getting woo’d before but when they redid the buttons they also reset everyone’s woo’s to zero and announced it was officially a negative reaction. I know some people have continued to use it but it definitely has a negative gut-feel now when you get one.

100%
    I never read any of the rules on mfp, or announcements, but when I heard some people were getting hurt feelings about it I did...never used it since.

If it can be misconstrued as negative or hurtful, nope, not by me.

A ⬇️ or 👎 or ❎ would be fine to me, it's more a disagree, but the mfp definition of "woo" kinda takes away from people's ideas and opinions and professes them as "pseudo (whatever)" which is inherently more insulting (to me) than a 'disagree'.

Know Im 'switchy' on my ideas...I kinda sound contradictory, but that's just me.

Im a fence dweller
    I see both sides often
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

I just have a mostly academic problem with it. I think it’s stupid and actively unhelpful in human interactions.

That said, when people say “don’t feel that way” or “ toughen up” “ don’t let it bother you” it bothers me. Mostly because I own my feelings. I feel how I feel. And why would I want to stop feeling? Good or bad.

But it also troubles me because no one ever says HOW. How do you not feel what you feel? I understand how to pretend. I’m pretty good at it actually. But to actually not feel? No clue.

BTW, this is the kind of respectful, interested, friendly disagreement I want more of. 😂

Me too, I’m enjoying it. You explained this really well
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

I just have a mostly academic problem with it. I think it’s stupid and actively unhelpful in human interactions.

That said, when people say “don’t feel that way” or “ toughen up” “ don’t let it bother you” it bothers me. Mostly because I own my feelings. I feel how I feel. And why would I want to stop feeling? Good or bad.

But it also troubles me because no one ever says HOW. How do you not feel what you feel? I understand how to pretend. I’m pretty good at it actually. But to actually not feel? No clue.

BTW, this is the kind of respectful, interested, friendly disagreement I want more of. 😂

topq6yawojdx.gif
  • Tankiscool
    Options

100%
    I never read any of the rules on mfp, or announcements, but when I heard some people were getting hurt feelings about it I did...never used it since.

If it can be misconstrued as negative or hurtful, nope, not by me.

A ⬇️ or 👎 or ❎ would be fine to me, it's more a disagree, but the mfp definition of "woo" kinda takes away from people's ideas and opinions and professes them as "pseudo (whatever)" which is inherently more insulting (to me) than a 'disagree'.

Know Im 'switchy' on my ideas...I kinda sound contradictory, but that's just me.

Im a fence dweller
    I see both sides often

All I can infer for this is that V is a switch and I'm a bit intrigued!
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options
    A whole lot