What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    You call it supper, I call it pop. Who the *kitten* cares?

Ohhhhh this should be fun

I dad and grandpa got in a very heated debate over supper about soda/pop one time

*dons internet battle armor*

its just coke. its all coke.

"ay bro what kind of coke you want?"

"thanks man lemme get a pepsi"

also i don't call it dinner or supper tbh i usually just say "im gonna eat later" or "what ya'll wanna eat later" or something like that

Coke is coke....this is the most confusing thing I've ever heard. It was news to me until I learned that some people call every kind of pop coke.
    So like Sprite and grape crush is coke?

Just say "drink" instead.

So a hundred or so years ago there where fountain drinks and such. Well Coke became very popular in the south, since Coke is from Atlanta, GA. So since there wasn't much else in the back woods of the South, for soft drinks, Coke was the most well known of all the sodas. So Coke became analogous for saying soda. Just like people say they want a Kleenex but they mean tissue paper.

Interesting fact:
    The modern-day soft drink, however, didn't develop until the 18th century, when scientists started synthesizing carbonated water — also known as soda water. The “soda” part of the word is derived from the sodium salts within the water.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Open challenge to anyone to find a soft drink clearly labeled "pop" and anything other than products in the Coca-Cola family that have the word "coke" on it.

Sorry I'm late

jjfcizxzwsdc.jpg

Never heard of it... But well played.

Although, the bottom of the can does say "strawberry soda"

They just need to put "Faygo coke" and on it to cover all their bases. But I'm not touching this fizzy cordial shenanigans.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I think it's cute when people say supper instead of dinner

I say Tea ..

That's awesome! How do you differentiate between dinner (tea) and tea (the drink) I wonder?

Breakfast - 7am.
    Second breakfast - 9 am.
    Elevenses - 11 am.
    Lunch - 1 pm.
    Afternoon tea - 3pm.
    Dinner (Tea) - 6 pm.
    Supper - 9 pm.

But if you call a meal "tea" how do you differentiate between eating "tea" and drinking it?

It's something the brits do. They say Tea for dinner. So if you invite someone over for Tea you are inviting them over for dinner. Otherwise, if asking for tea, they mean the drink.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I have an uncle who used to call it soda water
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jjfcizxzwsdc.jpg

Are you sure this is something that one drinks, and not some kind of lubricant??
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I dad and grandpa got in a very heated debate over supper about soda/pop one time

also i don't call it dinner or supper tbh i usually just say "im gonna eat later" or "what ya'll wanna eat later" or something like that

Coke is coke....this is the most confusing thing I've ever heard. It was news to me until I learned that some people call every kind of pop coke.

So a hundred or so years ago there where fountain drinks and such. Well Coke became very popular in the south, since Coke is from Atlanta, GA. So since there wasn't much else in the back woods of the South, for soft drinks, Coke was the most well known of all the sodas. So Coke became analogous for saying soda. Just like people say they want a Kleenex but they mean tissue paper.

Interesting fact:
    The modern-day soft drink, however, didn't develop until the 18th century, when scientists started synthesizing carbonated water — also known as soda water. The “soda” part of the word is derived from the sodium salts within the water.

I am guilty of this
  • Vikka_V
    Options

haha yep sorry for being born in the south i'll have to work on that lol

Yep, you should work on that! Lots of luck to you!

Speaking about the South...makes me want to start the debate over slang terms for Americans...
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Speaking about the South...makes me want to start the debate over slang terms for Americans...

There's more than one? I thought it was just "Yanks"
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Dang now I want a coke, yes a actual Coke from McDonalds
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »

YES!!!! Nothing beats a McDs Coke!

For some unknown reason... This is true!
    I know there is a conspiracy in there somewhere, I just have to concoct it..
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options

For some unknown reason... This is true!
    I know there is a conspiracy in there somewhere, I just have to concoct it..

I think it has actual coke in it
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Sorry, an ice cold Coke from a glass bottle trumps a Coke from McDonald's. Also, preferably the ones from Mexico these days as they are still made with sugar instead of corn syrup & they still come in the large bottles. But I don't drink them anymore, so I digress.
  • Vikka_V
    Options

There's more than one? I thought it was just "Yanks"

Yep, I agree, all yanks, except for Californians, I separate them out as a sub group.
    But then you hear all the different slang, "Prarie dwellers" pretty straight forward, "hillbillies" I'm not sure what region this refers to, and I think there should be a regional slang definition for Alaskan and Hawaiians, yank doesn't seem right
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Sorry, an ice cold Coke from a glass bottle trumps a Coke from McDonald's. Also, preferably the ones from Mexico these days as they are still made with sugar instead of corn syrup & they still come in the large bottles. But I don't drink them anymore, so I digress.

Agree coke in a glass bottle is the best.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Options
    I usually say coke, but it's because I'm from the south & that's what we say here. Although, locally Dr Pepper is the local winner since I'm not far from Dublin where much of that was bottled in the past. Admittedly, it should be called soda though, because that's what it is.
    I have no idea why anyone still calls it pop, but before the days of carbonated "soda" & "soda water", like mid 1700's-mid 1800's I know that mountain men, fur traders & trappers used to make a drink called "fizzy pop" flavored with wild fruit & berries. They carbonated it with a small amount of vinegar & baking soda. I only know this because as a kid, my family would dress up in mountain man accouterments & go live in a teepee for weeks at a time during historical reenactments of pre-1840's Rendezvous. It was one of the things they made at those events for historical accuracy & it is dreadful tasting stuff.

Well, there's your random historical tidbit for today.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Options

yep this is part of the reason why those Jarritos drinks are pretty good too. but i also don't drink them anymore sadly.

OMG! Yes, those are awesome too. Must fight cravings now. LOL