What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    How does a person build a network or connections when they have none? If networking is supposed to be the framework for getting better opportunities by word-of-mouth or witnessing a person's work ethic/personality firsthand, how is a person with none of those things present supposed to obtain those opportunities?
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,559 Member
    Options
    So, I just came out the other side of surviving a middling hurricane. Zeta was fast enough moving that we avoided flooding, but by the time it "landed" here, it was worse than when it hit NOLA. It was nearly a Category 3 by the time it reached us.

My husband and I had to rush out to secure the grill (he forgot to tie it down) and collect a few items so they wouldn't blow away. The storm moved in fast. I watched rain move sideways, wind howl, break trees and force telephone poles to submit to its will. I watched numerous shingles be blasted off of rooftops, hit cars and other houses and watched the wind rip the siding off houses. A few people in my neighborhood lost the windshields of their cars to flying debris. A few fences were uplifted and moved several feet or knocked down entirely. My extremely heavy outdoor potted plant was knocked over like it was a pillow and I watched our lovable (but dumb) neighbors go chase down a window screen that popped out down the street while 80+ mph winds whipped around.

In the end, the damage was extensive, but not un-repairable. Multiple cities were (and still are) without power and have been since Wednesday night. Most of our stoplights are missing, so police and volunteers are here from all over the state to help guide traffic until they can be repaired. Shingles were everywhere, but many of us picked up and piled them at the street corners for easy pick-up. Electrical/telephone poles are down or leaning everywhere. Trees are uprooted and knocked over. My husband commented that they reminded him of the little trees you put in train model cities. They don't look real. We passed by a boat-dealership and all of their formerly neatly lined boats were toppled over as though a giant child just came and capsized them all. It's been.. surreal.

My point is that up until around 4:30PM last night, my section of the world was very dark unless you could afford a generator (IE. almost no-one here can as they are very expensive). I've lived the last several days like it was some surreal camping trip, cooking things on a grill outside or using "canned" heat (Sterno). Not flushing toilets unless absolutely necessary to conserve water and trying to eat food we knew would soil, which led to some interesting food combinations (not necessarily bad ones!). I read a lot of books and we played a lot of card games. I wrote letters and post cards to people by flashlight/candlelight at night and got to reflect a lot.

Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I was prepared for it to be. Sure, not being able to play Animal Crossing or chat with people online kinda sucked, but I managed and was able to finish a couple of books and finish my son's Halloween costume in time, so it worked out.

I found out that I don't mind the silence as much as I thought I would. I was really afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep without a fan for noise or that it would be too hot to do anything. We lucked out that the storm was followed by a severe drop in temperature. It went from 85 degrees to 50 in less than 12 hours. We were able to open windows and utilize the cold day to save the food in our fridge/freezer until we could find ice.

Mostly, it was an interesting experience and I'm still watching and waiting for my fellow neighbors and city folk to get their power restored. A few places still aren't back on the grid just due to how much work has to be done. I'm holding out hope for them that they'll get power soon.

Wow, that all sounds so surreal! I'm glad that you weren't hurt, and that the damage wasn't catastrophic!

Here's hoping it doesn't take too long before things feel semi normal!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    How does a person build a network or connections when they have none? If networking is supposed to be the framework for getting better opportunities by word-of-mouth or witnessing a person's work ethic/personality firsthand, how is a person with none of those things present supposed to obtain those opportunities?

My word. Sorry about the hurricane situation in your area. Ironically, your subsequent post may be related.

Volunteering is a good way to network (even for those with wide and deep connections already).

So your region may need volunteers due to the hurricane. Even if mild, it doesn't take much to get into a precarious situation in 2020 😔.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @Kosmoskitten Wow, you truly braved some yuck stuff. :( Must've been scary not knowing what was going to end up happening; all you can do is hunker down, ride it out and hope for the best.

Good luck getting back to normal. Although normal, these days, is iffy. I loved MaltedTea's reply to your question. Helping others is manyfold with it's positive returns.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    I cant even eat that much food. The bar is exploding out of the box lol

727ohhv8ru58.jpg
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

727ohhv8ru58.jpg

I'd save some for the next day... Allow a big deficit today and if you're hungry tomorrow, allow an overage.

Congrats on the mega burn! 🔥
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

727ohhv8ru58.jpg

😮
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

My word. Sorry about the hurricane situation in your area. Ironically, your subsequent post may be related.

Volunteering is a good way to network (even for those with wide and deep connections already).

So your region may need volunteers due to the hurricane. Even if mild, it doesn't take much to get into a precarious situation in 2020 😔.

I do volunteer, thankfully. I do it because I want to, not because I was looking for networking (and I don't really notice that benefit from what I do, anyway).

I was mostly asking due to the book I finished reading. It was talking about poverty in a certain area of the United States and one of the obstacles mentioned from the author's recollections was the lack of networking/connections after the town's main source of job opportunities dried up and went under. Very similar to what happened to cities like Detroit, where a lot of the job opportunities just evaporated when the companies went under or pulled out to put labor overseas (or even elsewhere in the country). If those people don't have the opportunity to move someplace with job opportunities or go someplace larger where they can make connections and build a network, what do they do?

The author was young enough that when he graduated high school, he thought about it and ended up joining the Marines, and that was how he gained opportunities and went from there, but that's not an option for everyone.. especially not if you have no family to rely on or are a single parent with no one to help you.

The author mentioned a lot of things, not just this one, but this particular point stuck out to me because he went from poverty, to turning his life around, gaining discipline from the Marines to help him structure his life despite not having a good family background (no father figure, his mother was/is a substance abuser and most of his family members were physically and verbally abusive) and used the GI Bill and his time in the Marines to go to college and eventually work his way up to Yale and become a lawyer, despite his background and not coming from the typical background most lawyers and socialites come from. So he was able to make connections via the Marines, essentially that set him on the path to better opportunities, but not everyone has access to that route (for a multitude of reasons), so how would they set about improving their lives if no known opportunities are present? Especially small towns; not a lot of volunteer opportunities or business opportunities abound (I grew up in a similar small town in the Midwest).

Are there other ways to network or build up potential opportunities if you live in a place with no prospects and no way to really leave due to lack of resources?
  • MaltedTea
    Options

I do volunteer, thankfully. I do it because I want to, not because I was looking for networking (and I don't really notice that benefit from what I do, anyway).

I was mostly asking due to the book I finished reading. It was talking about poverty in a certain area of the United States and one of the obstacles mentioned from the author's recollections was the lack of networking/connections after the town's main source of job opportunities dried up and went under. Very similar to what happened to cities like Detroit, where a lot of the job opportunities just evaporated when the companies went under or pulled out to put labor overseas (or even elsewhere in the country). If those people don't have the opportunity to move someplace with job opportunities or go someplace larger where they can make connections and build a network, what do they do?

The author was young enough that when he graduated high school, he thought about it and ended up joining the Marines, and that was how he gained opportunities and went from there, but that's not an option for everyone.. especially not if you have no family to rely on or are a single parent with no one to help you.

The author mentioned a lot of things, not just this one, but this particular point stuck out to me because he went from poverty, to turning his life around, gaining discipline from the Marines to help him structure his life despite not having a good family background (no father figure, his mother was/is a substance abuser and most of his family members were physically and verbally abusive) and used the GI Bill and his time in the Marines to go to college and eventually work his way up to Yale and become a lawyer, despite his background and not coming from the typical background most lawyers and socialites come from. So he was able to make connections via the Marines, essentially that set him on the path to better opportunities, but not everyone has access to that route (for a multitude of reasons), so how would they set about improving their lives if no known opportunities are present? Especially small towns; not a lot of volunteer opportunities or business opportunities abound (I grew up in a similar small town in the Midwest).

Are there other ways to network or build up potential opportunities if you live in a place with no prospects and no way to really leave due to lack of resources?

Volunteering...online 😉

I'm not being dismissive and it's so much easier said than done, but one makes (or finds) a way to get to their goal.

Back in the actual olden days (like before 1983 or 1783, I dunno), people would travel for miles and months - sometimes risking their lives - to seek out opportunities. And many of those didn't pan out.

Example: the dude who wrote Beethoven's first bio was from the Czech Republic. No one knows much about Johann Aloys Schlosser's life before or after that (or even if he got paid, I suppose). But aren't we glad he decided to write about the composer (debates and conspiracies relating to Chevalier de Saint-Georges notwithstanding)?
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Volunteering...online 😉

I'm not being dismissive and it's so much easier said than done, but one makes (or finds) a way to get to their goal.

Back in the actual olden days (like before 1983 or 1783, I dunno), people would travel for miles and months - sometimes risking their lives - to seek out opportunities. And many of those didn't pan out.

Example: the dude who wrote Beethoven's first bio was from the Czech Republic. No one knows much about Johann Aloys Schlosser's life before or after that (or even if he got paid, I suppose). But aren't we glad he decided to write about the composer (debates and conspiracies relating to Chevalier de Saint-Georges notwithstanding)?

What sorts of things do you do to volunteer online? I'm only aware of volunteering in physical spaces at shelters, food banks or through organizations and the like.

The only online volunteering I can think of immediately are things to volunteer items (usually to hand make blankets, hats and the like and mail them to where they should go). What else exists?
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The gf burnt herself yesterday trying to smoke some chicken. She said that a fireball blew up into her face. By the time I ran over she was just holding her hair as clumps of it was falling on the ground.
    I turned on the kitchen sink since it was closest and then moved to the shower on cold. Asked if she wanted to go to the doctor and she said no. She stayed in there for a while and then we put raw aloe and honey on her burns.
    It’s mostly her face and hands. Her neck and lips got the worst of it. A little blistering and swelling. We’ve slept and woke up and it already looks a lot better and it hasn’t even been 24 hours. I think the skin is going to heal 100% in a week but the fire gave her a weird buzz cut around her ears and random spots and half of her eyebrow. Luckily it’s getting cold and she can just wear a beanie while it grows back.
    I’m glad it wasn’t more serious but idk if I’m gonna want her using the smoker again. She’s been having a series of unfortunate events and apparently the palo santo isn’t helping. 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Yoshiboobs wrote: »
    The gf burnt herself yesterday trying to smoke some chicken. She said that a fireball blew up into her face. By the time I ran over she was just holding her hair as clumps of it was falling on the ground.
    I turned on the kitchen sink since it was closest and then moved to the shower on cold. Asked if she wanted to go to the doctor and she said no. She stayed in there for a while and then we put raw aloe and honey on her burns.
    It’s mostly her face and hands. Her neck and lips got the worst of it. A little blistering and swelling. We’ve slept and woke up and it already looks a lot better and it hasn’t even been 24 hours. I think the skin is going to heal 100% in a week but the fire gave her a weird buzz cut around her ears and random spots and half of her eyebrow. Luckily it’s getting cold and she can just wear a beanie while it grows back.
    I’m glad it wasn’t more serious but idk if I’m gonna want her using the smoker again. She’s been having a series of unfortunate events and apparently the palo santo isn’t helping. 🤦🏻‍♀️

OMG that sounds horrible! Thank goodness it looks like it's healing!

I'd have been so freaked out.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

1rsmeucdh4ya.gif
  • MaltedTea
    Options

Volunteering...online 😉

What sorts of things do you do to volunteer online? I'm only aware of volunteering in physical spaces at shelters, food banks or through organizations and the like.

The only online volunteering I can think of immediately are things to volunteer items (usually to hand make blankets, hats and the like and mail them to where they should go). What else exists?

Me personally? I'm a (volunteer) committee member for an association. We meet via Zoom monthly and Teams during the month, as needed.

There are also board positions (which don't necessarily require one to be already monied, well-to-do, or networked). If you are with a community cultural or other socio-political group and happen to be part of that demographic then being a board member can be very helpful to the organization too.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Volunteering...online 😉

Me personally? I'm a (volunteer) committee member for an association. We meet via Zoom monthly and Teams during the month, as needed.

There are also board positions (which don't necessarily require one to be already monied, well-to-do, or networked). If you are with a community cultural or other socio-political group and happen to be part of that demographic then being a board member can be very helpful to the organization too.

Heh, I'm also a committee member (and chair) for an organization, but I'm getting ready to step down due to us moving to another part of the country soon.

I'm just curious what types of solutions people here could come up with for an individual who has no basis to network (that they are aware of) and where they could start if they had little to no known resources to do so.

The book I finished got me thinking, lol.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Options

OMG that sounds horrible! Thank goodness it looks like it's healing!

I'd have been so freaked out.

I was freaked out and up until this morning when she already looked better. She still can’t feel her upper lip.

1rsmeucdh4ya.gif

Ya someone catching on fire resulting in injury is pretty funny
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    As little as I can manage.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Oh wow just read this. :( She must've been scared out of her wits. Glad she's going to be alright and hope she's now through with her series of unfortunate events. :(
  • Yoshiboobs
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Oh wow just read this. :( She must've been scared out of her wits. Glad she's going to be alright and hope she's now through with her series of unfortunate events. :(

Same girl, she's been getting hurt at work in recent months and now this. 😔