What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    litha_ wrote: »
    Thinking about hypothetical situations... I don’t expect this to be answered, just writing what’s on my mind atm. ...

I think this is fascinating so I am going to go with it :)

... If you had 30 seconds to evacuate due to a natural disaster, no back up plan, and unable to return ever, what is important?

The good news is my wallet, phone, and keys are usually ready to grab in the kitchen on the way out the door! Child, husband, dog in the car. Cat if she was easy to find.

The upside is lots of things are online now, so our savings is at our finger tips instead of in a safe in the closet or something. Lots of pictures and such can just be printed again. There are only a few belongings I would be truely sad to have lost in this type of situation, but I dont tend to put alot of sentamentality into things, and the useful items I really like I could in theory replace. (I assume we are talking local natural disaster,not end of the world as we know it)

If you could go back in time and change 3 things in your life, would you or would you keep everything the same? Butterfly effect…etc.

Keep the same, I am afraid of the butterfly effect for sure, and pretty happy in my current life so not worth throwing that away!
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thinking about hypothetical situations. If you had 30 seconds to evacuate due to a natural disaster, no back up plan, and unable to return ever, what is important? If you had 30 seconds to tell someone something and then that chance is forever gone, what would you say? I don’t expect this to be answered, just writing what’s on my mind atm. If you could go back in time and change 3 things in your life, would you or would you keep everything the same? Butterfly effect…etc.

30 secs? ok

1. my life
    2. I love you
    3. served in the military, taken better care of my skin in my early years and started investing in my retirement much earlier.

Thank you for answering. I honestly wasn't expecting it, because I know that those kind of questions can be heavy or deeply personal for some. I sometimes wish there was a thread for these hypothetical situations with variables and see how people would answer, but don't think it would fare well because I find myself even hesitant to participant.
    Thinking about hypothetical situations... I don’t expect this to be answered, just writing what’s on my mind atm. ...

I think this is fascinating so I am going to go with it :)

... If you had 30 seconds to evacuate due to a natural disaster, no back up plan, and unable to return ever, what is important?

The good news is my wallet, phone, and keys are usually ready to grab in the kitchen on the way out the door! Child, husband, dog in the car. Cat if she was easy to find.

The upside is lots of things are online now, so our savings is at our finger tips instead of in a safe in the closet or something. Lots of pictures and such can just be printed again. There are only a few belongings I would be truely sad to have lost in this type of situation, but I dont tend to put alot of sentamentality into things, and the useful items I really like I could in theory replace. (I assume we are talking local natural disaster,not end of the world as we know it)

If you could go back in time and change 3 things in your life, would you or would you keep everything the same? Butterfly effect…etc.

Keep the same, I am afraid of the butterfly effect for sure, and pretty happy in my current life so not worth throwing that away!

I love seeing your answers. Thank you. I think these kind of questions are interesting as well and like to think about different scenarios and then throw in variables. I honestly don't know how I would answer 1 or 3. For number 2. I'd say, "I'm sorry". Question Number 1 - I was thinking that getting out alive with the people I love being safe was a given and was thinking more about would it be, sentimental or practical. I think it's all of the natural disasters and things happening around the world that has me pondering this kind of stuff.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    The unnecessary innuendo's !
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love seeing your answers. Thank you. I think these kind of questions are interesting as well and like to think about different scenarios and then throw in variables. I honestly don't know how I would answer 1 or 3. For number 2. I'd say, "I'm sorry". Question Number 1 - I was thinking that getting out alive with the people I love being safe was a given and was thinking more about would it be, sentimental or practical. I think it's all of the natural disasters and things happening around the world that has me pondering this kind of stuff.

haha, the two things that came to mind are dog food (because she eats a brand that I can only get from one store and sometimes suddenly changing a pets food can cause yuck to happen) and a painting of my first horse that is irreplacable. I honestly cant decide between the two, with the exception of the dog food is closer to the door.

so....both for me I guess :)

maybe talking about my wallet, phone, keys first counts as practical too? definitely aint getting far fast without keys though so not sure how much they count as a decision or just plain required
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Thinking about hypothetical situations. If you had 30 seconds to evacuate due to a natural disaster, no back up plan, and unable to return ever, what is important? If you had 30 seconds to tell someone something and then that chance is forever gone, what would you say? I don’t expect this to be answered, just writing what’s on my mind atm. If you could go back in time and change 3 things in your life, would you or would you keep everything the same? Butterfly effect…etc.

1)With assuming loved ones (including pets) are already safe, I’d probably just grab my purse since I usually keep everything I might need in there. If I could find it, my garnet ring that was passed down in my family as a single item I can think of. It used to be in my purse but I moved it to a jewelry box. 🤔 I should put it on a necklace... (too fat to wear it rn)

2) probably “I love you” I’d assume. To who though?

3) change three things in my past
    -I’d graduate high school, kinda always regretted dropping out because I wasn’t dumb, I was crazy depressed. I still have reoccurring dreams about high school.
    - I’d left all of my relationships sooner
    - I’d have punched that manager in the face because I’m sure it would have been worth it

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @litha_

1. My "Emergency Bag" (assuming I'm already conveniently at home when this evacuation order happens)
    2. "You are loved to the depths of me"
    3. [ETA: going back to my default which is living life with no regrets] 🤷🏿‍♀️
  • PAWGliacci
    PAWGliacci Posts: 346 Member
    Options

1. probably would grab my emergency bag by the front door, a nerf blaster, goose feather necklace, PC and belt then i'd scoot. the rest can burn if it has to.

2. "not a day has passed for me that didn't already belong to you"

3. i'd def try to change things but not for me directly.
    - would make my dad's dad stay instead of bailing on his family when my dad was just a kid.
    - would make my mom's dad be less of an overbearing *kitten* and more of a dad when she needed it the most.
    - would make my brother get out from under the evil old lady 4th grade teacher he had at the time, and instead get in the classroom with the 4th grade teacher I ended up with the following year.

i figure those 3 things would cause a massive butterfly effect in the best ways for my own family so i'd def roll the dice on it.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I wish we could make some people wear a sign that says "i are an idiot"
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,510 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    . Wrong thread ☺️
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    18 years ago today I became a mom for the first time. This was how he chose to celebrate his golden bday. God I love this kid.😭
    2y7g00g17xyg.jpeg

4q75t935jdux.jpeg
    5qq4b8fj8prs.gif

Happy birthday to you boy Mel 🥳 Awesome pics.. We gave my son a skydive for his 21st, says it was the best present ever.
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    @OpheliaCooter @MaltedTea @PAWGliacci -

It’s nice to see a little bit under the surface, so thank you for answering. Pawgliacci’s answer on 3 - made me think how that would be another interesting variable. Ex: What if you couldn’t change things for you but were given the option to change one thing for someone else. Would you or would you leave it be? What if you kept everything the same, but somebody in your life, past, present decided they’d change something and how those choices would affect life. Anyways…just thinking out loud. Thank you all for answering.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My Garmin watch recently died, and I replaced it with a newer version and includes a “body battery” metric — why can’t I recharge my body battery? Pain? Stress? Being anxious? …it lies?!?! I’m pretty sure most days it’d read “dead” — at the end of day — instead of “drained” if that were an option 😂
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Ooh boy....
    30 seconds to evacuate?
    Idealistically I'd like to think I'd have the smarts to grab my car keys, credit card and my iphone. But knowing me I'd panic and grab my books or whatever else was between me and the front door. :) Course that's got to mean that every living body makes it out the door as well. If not, then definitely my dogs first.

30 seconds to tell someone something?
    I really do love you even though I've made terrible mistakes and can never go back. So let's talk, I mean really really talk...about everything.

change 3 things in my life? Or keep the same?

That's a good question because I have no clue. If I didn't do everything I've done, I wouldn't be who I am. As often as I've failed, it's been a huge learning experience as well. BUT if I did change 3 things these would be them:

1) Don't be afraid of what people think of you; you don't matter to them as much as you think(I'm talking acquaintances and complete strangers, not friends/family). And if you let it get to you, it'll affect your whole being for the rest of your life.
    2) Say yes to trying new things instead of coming up with ridiculous excuses because you're afraid of failure or looking stupid.
    3) Live each day in a way you can look back and be proud/happy with the way you lived it.

I didn't answer this before because no one thing was hitting me just right. My mind was a jumble every time I tried. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @MelG7777 Happy Birthday to your son! It's amazing how fast they grow.
    The blink of an eye is never as real as when we watch our children. :(
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @MelG7777 Happy Birthday to your son! It's amazing how fast they grow.
    The blink of an eye is never as real as when we watch our children. :(
    So true! Thank you!
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    18 years ago today I became a mom for the first time. This was how he chose to celebrate his golden bday. God I love this kid.😭
    2y7g00g17xyg.jpeg

4q75t935jdux.jpeg
    5qq4b8fj8prs.gif

Happy birthday to you boy Mel 🥳 Awesome pics.. We gave my son a skydive for his 21st, says it was the best present ever.
    Oh that’s great he enjoyed it too! Thank you!