Boy Scouts ban obese kids from Jamboree

Options

Replies

• tbsugacookie
    tbsugacookie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I live about 15 miles from the Summit Bechtel Reserve (the new site of the Jamboree) and I think this is just awful. There are so many wonderful outdoor activities for kids to participate in out there - rock climbing, zip lines, etc. Why start these children with a sense of shame and defeat, rather than bolster the attitude that they can work hard and overcome an unhealthy situation?

A policy that excludes children from even trying because they are clinically obese is unfair at best, and shameful and mentally detrimental at worst. Makes me sick.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Just another reason why my family doesn't support the Boy Scouts at all.

becasue of logical safety precautions? Makes sense.

There is nothing logical about it. The Boy and Girl Scouts of America are supposed to be about helping youth develop leadership skills. Banning participation in a jamboree doesn't help an overweight child's self esteem. Wouldn't it be better if the boy scouts could teach nutrition and instill physical activity? This is a reason I don't support the Boy Scouts too. Inclusion is always better than exclusion because there is nothing to stop the scouts from maybe having a jamboree tailored to the needs of the overweight scout wanting desperately to lose weight. As anyone on here can attest to, being overweight is both a mental and physical issue.

So the kids who aren't "overweight", which isn't a good term since we are talking about morbidly obese here (40+ BMI) that can't participate, should be punished and not allowed to do their event because people who aren't safely capable of doing it are excluded? That sounds fair. This is ONE event in the whole year.

Oh good... I see you found someone to argue with. Yay!

I apologize for using logic instead of emotion. Do you have nothing better to do than follow me around looking dumb?
  • moosegt35
    Options
    A policy that excludes children from even trying because they are clinically obese is unfair at best, and shameful and mentally detrimental at worst. Makes me sick.

Let's not mention dangerous, a huge insurance liability and risk for injury. Not to mention these have been the rules for YEARS, and people are just now getting all riled up abot it because the media got a hold of it.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I live about 15 miles from the Summit Bechtel Reserve (the new site of the Jamboree) and I think this is just awful. There are so many wonderful outdoor activities for kids to participate in out there - rock climbing, zip lines, etc. Why start these children with a sense of shame and defeat, rather than bolster the attitude that they can work hard and overcome an unhealthy situation?

What's shameful is parents who let their kids get to 40+ bmi. I really do feel sorry for the kids. I can't imagine being excluded from something that's important in my life, but I also understand why it's happening. I just blame the parents instead of the Boy Scouts.
  • moosegt35
    Options

What's shameful is parents who let their kids get to 40+ bmi. I really do feel sorry for the kids. I can't imagine being excluded from something that's important in my life, but I also understand why it's happening. I just blame the parents instead of the Boy Scouts.

It's not the parent's fault, it's all these fast food companies and the schools not exercising the kids enough.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A load of 40+ bmi kids at a jamboree for the scouts is hardly projecting a positive image for joining them ...

But they could stand them at the back
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

There is nothing logical about it. The Boy and Girl Scouts of America are supposed to be about helping youth develop leadership skills. Banning participation in a jamboree doesn't help an overweight child's self esteem. Wouldn't it be better if the boy scouts could teach nutrition and instill physical activity? This is a reason I don't support the Boy Scouts too. Inclusion is always better than exclusion because there is nothing to stop the scouts from maybe having a jamboree tailored to the needs of the overweight scout wanting desperately to lose weight. As anyone on here can attest to, being overweight is both a mental and physical issue.

So the kids who aren't "overweight", which isn't a good term since we are talking about morbidly obese here (40+ BMI) that can't participate, should be punished and not allowed to do their event because people who aren't safely capable of doing it are excluded? That sounds fair. This is ONE event in the whole year.

I apologize for using logic instead of emotion. Do you have nothing better to do than follow me around looking dumb?

I hardly look dumb. You are the one using the forums as a platform to argue. I can see that you love it. Again, "debatable debating," it's the group for you!
  • moosegt35
    Options

I hardly look dumb. You are the one using the forums as a platform to argue. I can see that you love it. Again, "debatable debating," it's the group for you!

I just like being logical. It's obvious that a lot here don't, they would rather be emotional and not think at all.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I just like being logical. It's obvious that a lot here don't, they would rather be emotional and not think at all.

Thinking of disadvantaged children is not the same as thinking illogically. It's called compassion. The world needs more of it.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Sshhh. Just let the lonely person beat their dead horse. Sometimes that's all they have in life.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It's not the parent's fault, it's all these fast food companies and the schools not exercising the kids enough.

Meh, you lost me with this post.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Meh, you lost me with this post.

Meh, it was sarcastic.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    So if they can't discriminate against gay kids, then they are going to discriminate against the fat kids?? :huh: :noway:

Don't they realize that 'physically demanding' is what these kids need????

My thoughts exactly. Get out of my brain!
  • Ender126
    Ender126 Posts: 44
    Options
    I don't see how not letting 40+ BMI kids participate in a Jamboree is even that bad. It's not like they are being kicked out of the scouts or anything. They will still have every other opportunity a scout will have. You have to be pretty big to be 40+ BMI. I highly doubt it's excluding really fit "heavy" or muscular kids. Maybe it's time we actually did something about the child obesity epidemic in America. If they are "too big" to go to this years Jamboree let that be the motivation to kick start a healthier lifestyle! If my kid was "too big" to go to something he/she really wanted to go to then I'd use that to motivate. I'm not saying there shouldn't be case by case evaluations if requested but 40%+ BMI is probably not a healthy size to be at in such a high-tempo event. Just my 2 cents...
  • moosegt35
    Options

Thinking of disadvantaged children is not the same as thinking illogically. It's called compassion. The world needs more of it.

Are they really that disadvantaged because they can't comptete in an event that it is deemed unsafe for them to participate in? ONE event, out of 100's that the BSA does yearly.
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That is really sad and I hate to see them base their decision off of the BMI chart. According to the BMI I am considered OBESE but I just ran a 10k (6.2 miles) on Saturday and I ran the whole way (I am training for a 1/2 Marathon)! I know I am so much healthier and stronger than some of the "skinny" people around me. To be excluded because the BMI says I'm too fat would be heart breaking.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    That is really sad and I hate to see them base their decision off of the BMI chart. According to the BMI I am considered OBESE but I just ran a 10k (6.2 miles) on Saturday and I ran the whole way (I am training for a 1/2 Marathon)! I know I am so much healthier and stronger than some of the "skinny" people around me. To be excluded because the BMI says I'm too fat would be heart breaking.

Not trying to take away from your 10K its a great accomplishment, but that's a 6 mile event that probably took you less than, what 1.5 hours - 2 hours max? This event is 50 + miles, days long, and several different activities, not just running on a track with people everywhere. It's also in the middle of nowhere. Also, obese and MORBIDLY obese are a few clicks away from each other on the scale.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I don't see how not letting 40+ BMI kids participate in a Jamboree is even that bad. It's not like they are being kicked out of the scouts or anything. They will still have every other opportunity a scout will have. You have to be pretty big to be 40+ BMI. I highly doubt it's excluding really fit "heavy" or muscular kids. Maybe it's time we actually did something about the child obesity epidemic in America. If they are "too big" to go to this years Jamboree let that be the motivation to kick start a healthier lifestyle! If my kid was "too big" to go to something he/she really wanted to go to then I'd use that to motivate. I'm not saying there shouldn't be case by case evaluations if requested but 40%+ BMI is probably not a healthy size to be at in such a high-tempo event. Just my 2 cents...

MFP has no place for logic. Get out of here.
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Not trying to take away from your 10K its a great accomplishment, but that's a 6 mile event that probably took you less than, what 1.5 hours - 2 hours max? This event is 50 + miles, days long, and several different activities, not just running on a track with people everywhere. It's also in the middle of nowhere. Also, obese and MORBIDLY obese are a few clicks away from each other on the scale.

I understand what you're saying but like I mentioned, I am "training". The 6 miles was one day out of my week of other long distance runs (3 or 4 miles, depending on the day), 2 hours of swimming laps at the pool on another day, etc. So if it's a day's long event then even better, it would give a person more time to accomplish what needs to be done.

And judging from this website:

https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree2013/Pages/Activities.aspx

It looks like they can choose what they want to do and how long they want to do it for and at what level of intensity they feel comfortable with. I think even a morbidly obese person could do the shooting sports and the archery sports.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The kids with 40+ BMIs might be relieved that they don't have to do it.