Boy Scouts ban obese kids from Jamboree

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• tbsugacookie
    tbsugacookie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The kids with 40+ BMIs might be relieved that they don't have to do it.

Probably so! I used to BE one of those kids and I thought it was fantastic that I didn't have to play dodge ball in gym, and that they gave me extra time to walk the mandatory mile around the track. I wish someone had pushed me at that time - maybe I wouldn't have spent quite so much time as an adult fighting to get healthy.
  • mrgocubs
    mrgocubs Posts: 4
    Options
    Not to be too judgmental, but as an Eagle Scout I have had/seen TONS of leaders that should then not be allowed to hike then either.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Not to be too judgmental, but as an Eagle Scout I have had/seen TONS of leaders that should then not be allowed to hike then either.

They are also included in this rule, so that's not judgemental at all just part of the rule that has been in place for years.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I live about 15 miles from the Summit Bechtel Reserve (the new site of the Jamboree) and I think this is just awful. There are so many wonderful outdoor activities for kids to participate in out there - rock climbing, zip lines, etc. Why start these children with a sense of shame and defeat, rather than bolster the attitude that they can work hard and overcome an unhealthy situation?

A policy that excludes children from even trying because they are clinically obese is unfair at best, and shameful and mentally detrimental at worst. Makes me sick.

What's shameful is parents who let their kids get to 40+ bmi. I really do feel sorry for the kids. I can't imagine being excluded from something that's important in my life, but I also understand why it's happening. I just blame the parents instead of the Boy Scouts.

It's not the parent's fault, it's all these fast food companies and the schools not exercising the kids enough.

Meh, you lost me with this post.

Meh, it was sarcastic.

Meh, I see it now. My apologies.

My sarcasmometer is usually remarakbly accurate.

This must have been one of those 0.56% times that it fails.

Carry on.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I live about 15 miles from the Summit Bechtel Reserve (the new site of the Jamboree) and I think this is just awful. There are so many wonderful outdoor activities for kids to participate in out there - rock climbing, zip lines, etc. Why start these children with a sense of shame and defeat, rather than bolster the attitude that they can work hard and overcome an unhealthy situation?

A policy that excludes children from even trying because they are clinically obese is unfair at best, and shameful and mentally detrimental at worst. Makes me sick.

What's shameful is parents who let their kids get to 40+ bmi. I really do feel sorry for the kids. I can't imagine being excluded from something that's important in my life, but I also understand why it's happening. I just blame the parents instead of the Boy Scouts.

It's not the parent's fault, it's all these fast food companies and the schools not exercising the kids enough.

Meh, it was sarcastic.

Carry on.

I missed it too.
    I thought it odd for moose to contradict himself.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Meh, it was sarcastic.

Carry on.

Lol, sometimes the meters can be thrown off on the internet.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Meh, it was sarcastic.

Carry on.

Except that my model of sarcasmometer is specially calibrated for the interwebz.

My IRL meter is six nines reliable.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Meh, it was sarcastic.

Carry on.

Except that my model of sarcasmometer is specially calibrated for the interwebz.

My IRL meter is six nines reliable.

nice. Guess I am just that good to sneak one by the meter.