Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    clarkeje1 wrote: »
    I love having pastries with my coffee in the morning. The key is portion control so as long as it fits in your calories. I have been making my coffee at home instead of going to McDonalds. Cheaper and healthier :)

What's unhealthy about McDonalds coffee?
    more sugar?

you can add your own sugar or not.if you ask for it black they will give it to you black. coffee doesnt contain sugar unless you add sugar,

True, although if you order it iced, you will have to insist at least three times that you don't want sugar, you don't want a flavor, you don't want any kind of syrup -- then you have almost a 50% chance of getting it without added sweetener. I tend to hang out near the "cafe" counter after I order and try to catch the attention of the McBarista (I just made that up, so if McD's starts using it, I want a licensing fee :smiley: ) and tell them not to put any syrup in it. There is a button on the cash register interface for no syrup, because I've gotten a manager to point it out to the person working the register, but they must not include that in the training, because hardly anybody seems to know about it.

ETA: on the upside, they are always willing to remake the drink when my iced coffee comes out sweetened. It's not about the calories; coffee with sugar tastes absolutely vile to me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    you can add your own sugar or not.if you ask for it black they will give it to you black. coffee doesnt contain sugar unless you add sugar,

@CharlieBeansmomTracey Your comment has the word sugar 3 times! How dare you. Don't you know sugar is evil?

yeah I know its the devil but Im feeling a little devilish today so
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I love having pastries with my coffee in the morning. The key is portion control so as long as it fits in your calories. I have been making my coffee at home instead of going to McDonalds. Cheaper and healthier :)

more sugar?

I think they only add sugar if you ask for it. I agree on the cheaper comment. Maybe they meant healthier as in no risk of binging on egg mcmuffins while enjoying the coffee??

well if you like egg mcmuffins,or mcdonalds coffee. lol
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    Options

more sugar?

True, although if you order it iced, you will have to insist at least three times that you don't want sugar, you don't want a flavor, you don't want any kind of syrup -- then you have almost a 50% chance of getting it without added sweetener. I tend to hang out near the "cafe" counter after I order and try to catch the attention of the McBarista (I just made that up, so if McD's starts using it, I want a licensing fee :smiley: ) and tell them not to put any syrup in it. There is a button on the cash register interface for no syrup, because I've gotten a manager to point it out to the person working the register, but they must not include that in the training, because hardly anybody seems to know about it.

ETA: on the upside, they are always willing to remake the drink when my iced coffee comes out sweetened. It's not about the calories; coffee with sugar tastes absolutely vile to me.

omggggg see? homemade is healthier?for heart issues :P ;)
  • muffinsandcakes
    Options
    Does it fit your calories? Do you like it? Do you meet your other nutritional goals the test of the day? If yes to all then eat cake. If no, then find a way to make it work or don't eat cake.

Sometimes I don't have time to count cals but cake is essential everyday :D thank you so much for answering :)

Bottom line: if you don't count the calories, then there's absolutely no way to know if it will cause you to gain weight or not.
    If you don't exceed your calorie goal, then you will lose weight. If you go over your maintenance calories, then you will gain weight.
    There are no inherent properties to cake other than the calories it contains that will have any effect on your weight.

thank you dear :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

more sugar?

omggggg see? homemade is healthier?for heart issues :P ;)

I can't tell with all the emojis if you are serious or joking. What heart issues would be impacted by drinking inadvertently sweetened iced coffee from McDonalds?
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Everyone's already given good advice, but if it makes you feel any better, this past summer there were three birthdays in my family only a day apart, and I LOVE cake, so I froze pieces of cake and had a piece for breakfast pretty much the entire week. Also, last spring, I had a chocolate haul and started my days with half a bar of chocolate and some tea. I stayed within my goals, and I've been maintaining just fine. :) Practice portion control and make sure you're still hitting your macro/calorie goals, and you'll be fine.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Huh. Hot coffee I like with just milk, or milk and a little sugar, but iced coffee I cannot tolerate unsweet. Bleah. I like it half as sweet as whatever the default is at Starbucks (I ask for it half sweetened) and that is VERY SWEET and this makes it delicious to me.

Iced coffee is actually about the only drink I like very sweet. Lemonade, much more lemon and water, mixed drinks I am fine with bourbon/soda water/lime, iced tea I cannot stand any sugar in, hot coffee I like an unsweetened latte, but iced coffee, unsweetened? No, no, no. I cannot.
  • muffinsandcakes
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Everyone's already given good advice, but if it makes you feel any better, this past summer there were three birthdays in my family only a day apart, and I LOVE cake, so I froze pieces of cake and had a piece for breakfast pretty much the entire week. Also, last spring, I had a chocolate haul and started my days with half a bar of chocolate and some tea. I stayed within my goals, and I've been maintaining just fine. :) Practice portion control and make sure you're still hitting your macro/calorie goals, and you'll be fine.

thank you! I will stick to this <3<3<3
  • muffinsandcakes
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Huh. Hot coffee I like with just milk, or milk and a little sugar, but iced coffee I cannot tolerate unsweet. Bleah. I like it half as sweet as whatever the default is at Starbucks (I ask for it half sweetened) and that is VERY SWEET and this makes it delicious to me.

Iced coffee is actually about the only drink I like very sweet. Lemonade, much more lemon and water, mixed drinks I am fine with bourbon/soda water/lime, iced tea I cannot stand any sugar in, hot coffee I like an unsweetened latte, but iced coffee, unsweetened? No, no, no. I cannot.

hum yum nom nom <3 :P
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Well, the world would be a duller place if we all had exactly the same tastes.

I was sure I was in the minority, since the default (at McD's anyway) is for putting the syrup in. Sometimes they seem a little befuddled at my request, as though I am the only person who has ever asked for it that way. At least at Starbuck's they always ask "sweetened or unsweetened" for iced coffee and iced tea, rather than assuming.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Been there done that back in July. Is that you Knightride48?

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10428900/cake-y-or-n/p1

That's funny, as I was thinking the exact same thing when I opened the current thread. I half expected to hear about a cake sandwich again!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Guys winter is coming, winter is knocking! and am munching on more sweets than ever :( please I need professional advice. Is having it for breakfast good or will make me gain fat? since I was little I used to have something sweet as soon as I wake up so is it wrong or what? thank you :))) <3

Having something sweet in the AM makes me want to keep eating and eating and eating. It's easier for me to stay in a calorie deficit when I eat more protein in relationship to carbs, and meet my fiber goal.

Are you still the 58 kg you were when you posted in August? And are you still in a country at war?
  • allym979
    allym979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would make a difference the time of day. If you are going to have something sweet anyways, your overall calorie intake won't change depending on the time!
  • superstargalaxy
    superstargalaxy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating sweets in the morning is going to be any different from eating sweets in the afternoon or evening. What's going to make you fat is the amount of calories you take in by the end of the day. That's it. Anything else is more health benefits and I'm talking about macro and micro nutrients.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I dont even need to read this thread. Cake yes. Always yes ;D yumyum
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You gain weight if you eat more calories than is needed to maintain your current weight. Those calories can be from cake, broccoli, oatmeal, chicken- any food or drink you consume that has calories.

I personally don't find cake very filling or nutritious for the amount of calories so I would not eat something like cake for breakfast every single day. It is up to you how you want to use your calories.

omg the first sentence is horrifying :o

Yes. You get fat from a surplus of calories no matter the source.
    Eat however you want without going over your maintenance level calories.
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You gain weight if you eat more calories than is needed to maintain your current weight. Those calories can be from cake, broccoli, oatmeal, chicken- any food or drink you consume that has calories.

I personally don't find cake very filling or nutritious for the amount of calories so I would not eat something like cake for breakfast every single day. It is up to you how you want to use your calories.

am having it usually with milk, but may you give me other insights? (sweet please :P)

Do you find cake and milk satisfying? How long does it fill you up? If you are hungry an hour later probably should consider other choices.
    It's not necessarily bad to have cake for breakfast. But what happens at lunch? Do you devour everything in sight? Or can you not wait for lunch and wind up snacking all morning?

If it fits your goals and doesn't screw up the rest of your day putting you over your calorie goal, go for it. If not, don't.

Eta: wow, you guys are fast.

Hmmmm actually am craving more for brunch yea :o

Then the question is, is that affecting your goals?

my goal is to to lose much this year but I don't wanna be harsh on myself so...

There are other sweet type foods you could eat that may be lower calorie/higher nutrition like fresh fruit, dried fruit, oatmeal, cereals, yogurt, sweet potato, parsnips, beets, carrots, squash, peas, corn.
    Generally, protein, fats and fiber leave people feeling satisfied so you might want to choose foods that have more of a combination of those things if you are feeling cravings.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd save the cake for dessert shortly before going to bed, so i wouldn't be tempted to pick on the rest of the cake all day. Even if i only had one piece in the house, id still save it for the evening.
    Speaking from experience... If i start the day off with a carby, sugary treat it'll set me off on a feeding frenzy for the rest of the day and I'd be miserable!

If eating cake for breakfast satisfies you and it fits in your calories, then cake away :lol:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Personally I'd save the cake for dessert shortly before going to bed, so i wouldn't be tempted to pick on the rest of the cake all day. Even if i only had one piece in the house, id still save it for the evening.
    Speaking from experience... If i start the day off with a carby, sugary treat it'll set me off on a feeding frenzy for the rest of the day and I'd be miserable!

If eating cake for breakfast satisfies you and it fits in your calories, then cake away :lol:

I find I sleep better if I have some carbs before bed.