Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When that shmuck dmitry klolov steps foot in the gym and steals all the 20kg plates, loads them onto his bar, snatches super heavy and screams like an angry bear :D !

Jk I'd never mess with the klokster, ever

My main pet peeves are A) people that don't strip their bars and you don't ever know if they are going to come back or not. And B) this one instagram "boogie queen" at my gym who stands right behind the squat rack and uses the fixed bar and dumbbell for all her exercises. Like yo lady! Why you gotta block my access to the squat rack if you aren't going to even use it?? Pfft Oh also, being 4'10"ish I hate when the equipment and spray bottle are so high that I have to jump or stand on my tip toes to reach them. The world is not meant for my munchkin breed!!

Oh, please he only snatches like 425lb that's like warm up weight. ;) Does he actually workout at your gym btw? That would be amazing to watch a world champion Oly Lifter do his thing.

I think he works out at an oly lifting specific gym. But he mostly trains in Russia do not gonna run into him anytime soon. One of the gyms I frequent at has powerlifters and oly lifters as frequent clientele so it's always fun to see some really technically stunning snatches when you are resting between sets!

Ahh, too bad I would love to hear what his training looks like. I'm sure 6-8 hours a day like most in the east seem to do.

I used to be in an Oly lifting club but was ramping up for my first comp and ended up screwing up my shoulder when I was late for a training session one day and started snatching too heavy without warming up. Messed up the dislocate and my delt was toast. :(

Yeah there was a girl I met at the last PL meet I did and she tweaked her shoulder training for an oly lifting comp. So she decided to switch to powerlifting. Go figure! Olympic lifters in general just amaze me. The majority seem so disciplined and dedicated to mastering technique... and they are somehow able to move super heavy weight! It baffles me! Meanwhile I try doing any oly lifting and I am a mess! I think I'll stick to powerlifting haha :D
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Klokov be da man!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    When that shmuck dmitry klolov steps foot in the gym and steals all the 20kg plates, loads them onto his bar, snatches super heavy and screams like an angry bear :D !

Jk I'd never mess with the klokster, ever

My main pet peeves are A) people that don't strip their bars and you don't ever know if they are going to come back or not. And B) this one instagram "boogie queen" at my gym who stands right behind the squat rack and uses the fixed bar and dumbbell for all her exercises. Like yo lady! Why you gotta block my access to the squat rack if you aren't going to even use it?? Pfft Oh also, being 4'10"ish I hate when the equipment and spray bottle are so high that I have to jump or stand on my tip toes to reach them. The world is not meant for my munchkin breed!!

Oh, please he only snatches like 425lb that's like warm up weight. ;) Does he actually workout at your gym btw? That would be amazing to watch a world champion Oly Lifter do his thing.

I think he works out at an oly lifting specific gym. But he mostly trains in Russia do not gonna run into him anytime soon. One of the gyms I frequent at has powerlifters and oly lifters as frequent clientele so it's always fun to see some really technically stunning snatches when you are resting between sets!

Ahh, too bad I would love to hear what his training looks like. I'm sure 6-8 hours a day like most in the east seem to do.

I used to be in an Oly lifting club but was ramping up for my first comp and ended up screwing up my shoulder when I was late for a training session one day and started snatching too heavy without warming up. Messed up the dislocate and my delt was toast. :(

Yeah there was a girl I met at the last PL meet I did and she tweaked her shoulder training for an oly lifting comp. So she decided to switch to powerlifting. Go figure! Olympic lifters in general just amaze me. The majority seem so disciplined and dedicated to mastering technique... and they are somehow able to move super heavy weight! It baffles me! Meanwhile I try doing any oly lifting and I am a mess! I think I'll stick to powerlifting haha :D

Yeah, switched to PL after but I still maintain the lifts, just at a much lower weight now. The biggest problem when you age is not the slow decline in strength for lifters, it's the much more rapid decline in speed around the mid to late 20's. This is why Powerlifters can continue to improve well into their 30's while Oly lifters tend to peak much sooner. There are some amazing exceptions but you don't see a lot of people in top form beyond the early 30's.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    futureicon wrote: »
    Let's see, I have a few..
    1. The guy that pulls a set of dumbbells off of the rack and then stands right in front of it while he does a set, blocking access for anyone else needing weights.
    2. The people that work out in straight street clothes. I used to belong to a gym where this guy would lift in jeans and cowboy boots, like he thought he was Chuck Norris.
    3. The ppl who bring an oversized water bottle to the water fountain and then take 10 minutes filling that thing up while a line stacks up behind them. Fill that shite up at home son, or move aside so a guy can get a quick drink.
    4. The dude that shouts "Hey, I'm using that!" from across the gym, while he's using several other pieces of equipment.
    5. The stinky folk. I used to share the gym with an old man who would wear one of those plastic suits designed to help you cut weight, and he would work out in it every time and I'm pretty sure just throw it back in his gym bag until next time. You could smell that guy from across the gym.

I'm guilty of the second point, only on a treadmill. I use the fitness center (their words) where I work to walk on my lunch break when the weather is bad outside. I can't see the point in changing to sweats for that.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Paying full price for a membership when I clean up stray dumbbells, strip weight off unused bars, make sure each bench/power rack has a pair of clips, organize dumbbell/kettlebell racks, return equipment to its appropriate spot :p

The "fill my bottle/shaker cup at the water fountain" people

However the "taking too long with X" doesn't really bother me, since I walk up and ask to work in, and 90% let me. I will gladly do all the weight changes for you if you let me work in
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Ok. People don't make fun of fat people. They are generally accepted as equals. Gotcha.

Skinny shaming is the real problem.

Oh, so sarcasm wins debates for you does it? I've faced real issues growing up half-native in a predominantly white area and the occasional issues I faced when I was obese didn't even come close to that. Nobody should ever feel made inferior for what they look like, but at least when I was obese I could lose weight, I can't change my DNA. So don't get me started on what's worse.

None of it is good. Making fun of people who go to "sissy" health clubs isn't good either.

PF isn't a sissy club and I don't think I've heard anyone actually claim that here. It doesn't meet my needs but that doesn't mean others don't find it useful and I know of some pro bodybuilders that have worked out at a PF now and then and find it adequate in a pinch for them.

I don't agree with some people's premise that everyone there is not serious about fitness, though.

I'm not really sure anyone has voiced that premise either, but PF's success depends on collecting two large groups of people as members: resolutioners who pay into long-term memberships but don't use the gym after one or two sessions, and casual exercisers who never progress past needing cardio equipment and basic weights. Are there people serious about fitness there? Yes, but it's not the majority of their members. Something like half of the people with PF contracts never go to the gym at all. If you can meet your goals and enjoy the environment at PF while paying their super-low membership fees (subsidized by all the no-shows), awesome for you. But that doesn't make their business practices that involve shaming and ridiculing less objectionable, IMO, which is what most of us who dislike PF take issue with.

Connor Murphy found the idea of PF objectionable, but not his actual experience at one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0s_VIg2xc

Is this video a PF review or a look at me and my muscles video?? :huh:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Ok. People don't make fun of fat people. They are generally accepted as equals. Gotcha.

Oh, so sarcasm wins debates for you does it? I've faced real issues growing up half-native in a predominantly white area and the occasional issues I faced when I was obese didn't even come close to that. Nobody should ever feel made inferior for what they look like, but at least when I was obese I could lose weight, I can't change my DNA. So don't get me started on what's worse.

None of it is good. Making fun of people who go to "sissy" health clubs isn't good either.

PF isn't a sissy club and I don't think I've heard anyone actually claim that here. It doesn't meet my needs but that doesn't mean others don't find it useful and I know of some pro bodybuilders that have worked out at a PF now and then and find it adequate in a pinch for them.

I don't agree with some people's premise that everyone there is not serious about fitness, though.

I'm not really sure anyone has voiced that premise either, but PF's success depends on collecting two large groups of people as members: resolutioners who pay into long-term memberships but don't use the gym after one or two sessions, and casual exercisers who never progress past needing cardio equipment and basic weights. Are there people serious about fitness there? Yes, but it's not the majority of their members. Something like half of the people with PF contracts never go to the gym at all. If you can meet your goals and enjoy the environment at PF while paying their super-low membership fees (subsidized by all the no-shows), awesome for you. But that doesn't make their business practices that involve shaming and ridiculing less objectionable, IMO, which is what most of us who dislike PF take issue with.

Connor Murphy found the idea of PF objectionable, but not his actual experience at one.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

:tongue:
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I just want to know if the pizza is actually good or if it's frozen crap.
  • Qskim
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

I just want to know if the pizza is actually good or if it's frozen crap.

The franchises get it independently from local pizza joints, at their own discretion. My PF gets it from a local House Of - not from a corporate place like Dominoes or Pizza Hut. It varies from place to place. The hitch is it's only once a month they do this. The first Friday of the month for my PF. And they get it in the early afternoon when the club is at its emptiest. Once the after work crowd comes in, during peak busy hours, the pizza is usually gone or almost gone. :cry:
    Ok so it's worth it if you want it and are around for it. Dominoes etc would have disappointed me as well lol.
  • Qskim
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ok I just read your edit. Well, not impressed.

ETA: although most gyms have huge markups on products anyways don't they...health bars for example.

Don't get me started on cinema foods...
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My annoyance are people in dance fitness classes who think they're frigging god's gift and everyone else should just GTFO because they're so *kitten* hot at every class ever that if you're not you're just not trying and shouldn't be allowed to be there much less up front where you can see the teacher the best. or even, as a girl I danced with did, had to go at the front because she couldn't dance with her glasses on and without them she was absolutely blind. (She got laser eye surgery about half way through our time there, she swiftly moved to the back, ha!).

And honestly, if someone thinks their spacial awareness is so much better than the other people in class, then they should be able to dodge every stray limb bullet pretty well instead of try and shame people sho perhaps weren't blessed with great co-ordination but go to a dance FITNESS class for the pure enjoyment knowing their skill level isn't up to an actual dance class.

Want to dance be proven you're great and capable of learning proper technique? Take an actual dance class and get back to me.

What are you trying to say @VintageFeline :wink:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Annoyances at the gym! Well, they aren't annoyances to me but....Guys who wear manbuns, yoga pants and toe shoes at the same time make me giggle. Kinda hard to not laugh in the middle of my set. Guys that are puffer fish, peacocks or guys with imaginary lat syndrome make me laugh too. Sometimes they hear me and make their way to the movie room/safe space to gather their emotions after being offended by my giggle. People who whine about weights being dropped are annoying, these are the same people that text or instagram while occupying a machine. Women that wear a lot of makeup all dressed up but don't really workout to break a sweat and take selfies while occupying a machine. We have two gyms owned by the same company, one is more of a social club type atmosphere, the other is a hardcore noisy gym for serious lifters.

Men wear toe shoes at your gym?

l0m01cind8wu.jpg

In my world those are pointe shoes. Sorry if this has been mentioned. I'm on a multi page catch up!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    mij140 wrote: »
    I have a home gym now but here is my list:

Heavy perfume use.
    <snip>

Heavy perfume aroma is a migraine trigger for me, so this annoys me everywhere. It wasn't always something specific to the gym. I have to say, I'd rather smell b.o. than Axe any day.

Interestingly, in one gym I belonged to, you had to pass by the entrance to the men's locker room to get to the women's locker room. The overbearing level of fragrance products coming from the men's area far surpassed that of the women. It actually surprised me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    My annoyance are people in dance fitness classes who think they're frigging god's gift and everyone else should just GTFO because they're so *kitten* hot at every class ever that if you're not you're just not trying and shouldn't be allowed to be there much less up front where you can see the teacher the best. or even, as a girl I danced with did, had to go at the front because she couldn't dance with her glasses on and without them she was absolutely blind. (She got laser eye surgery about half way through our time there, she swiftly moved to the back, ha!).

And honestly, if someone thinks their spacial awareness is so much better than the other people in class, then they should be able to dodge every stray limb bullet pretty well instead of try and shame people sho perhaps weren't blessed with great co-ordination but go to a dance FITNESS class for the pure enjoyment knowing their skill level isn't up to an actual dance class.

Want to dance be proven you're great and capable of learning proper technique? Take an actual dance class and get back to me.

What are you trying to say @VintageFeline :wink:

*Whistles innocently*

You'd think Zumba was Rambert or some shiz how seriously people take it. If you don't like people, there's Youtube. I use Youtube because I know people and I aren't the best mix.

That said, I will get myself together enough to go learn silks and do aerial yoga at some point.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'd say there would be plenty of "annoyed" young bucks at muscle beach when this 84 year old guy outlifts them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyM6Wyg0xPg
This discussion has been closed.