Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

One of the most debated topics: Starvation Mode

Options
124»

Replies

• ChampagneBurst
    ChampagneBurst Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No one will ever be able to convince me that someone who is 50-100-200lbs overweight is starving or their body has gone into starvation mode :huh: Their bodies have a lot of fat to live off before they are skin and bone and actually in any danger...

And the award for most ill informed and offensive goes to...

Regardless of what your body stores the brain needs input from food you eat daily to function.

On the starvation topic - There does exist the documented fact where a body losing its mass releases fat stores more slowly after a certain percentage (variable). Calling it starvation is a gross exaggeration as is assuming that the effects are noticeable on a daily basis. It's generally considered healthier to up exercise to break plateaus rather than reduce intake further as you risk malnutrition.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No one will ever be able to convince me that someone who is 50-100-200lbs overweight is starving or their body has gone into starvation mode :huh: Their bodies have a lot of fat to live off before they are skin and bone and actually in any danger...

And the award for most ill informed and offensive goes to...

Regardless of what your body stores the brain needs input from food you eat daily to function.

Pretty sure Christine wasn't suggesting that anyone fast to diet, so not sure why this is supposedly offensive.

Maybe you aren't aware of the common idea of "starvation mode" that gets repeated on MFP all the time where people supposedly eating too little will not lose or gain because their body starts holding on to fat for fear of starving.

That this doesn't happen doesn't mean that a super extreme deficit is a good idea (whether achieved through cutting calories OR extra activity), but of course how large a deficit can be depends on things like total mass and fat to lose.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    There is debate though. I personally don't have an opinion but I see a lot of people who think it's a real thing.

If someone wants to believe that the calories in broken oreos don't count because the calories leak out, I'm more than willing to let them.

Simply because someone believes a thing doesn't mean it's worth one second of my time to refute it.

Someone let Carlos know of this development!

If I break all my Oreos I'm scared I might go into starvation mode.

Then you'll just have to make this:
    qr5phex3k1ax.jpg

OMG I need to hit the liquor store! YUMM!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jmp463 wrote: »
    With the help of MFP I have lost a lot of weight over the years and no doubt it been a positive in my life. However if there is a true downside to this site - its the amount of "Group-Think" on here. The Forms are filled with it. Starvation Mode is nothing but group think - someone says it - and because it sounds too good to be true (eat more to lose weight) - people buy into. If you dont believe it - go two three full days without eating anything - just drink water as needed -- at the end of it weigh yourself - I bet the number will be lower. Also the pictures of concentration camps the Nazis ran were not full of fat people and they didnt get that way from upping their calories.

Ironically, there has never been group think when it comes to the validation of starvation mode. The only people who tend to suggest it are newbies without knowledge of the matter.

Agreed. psuLemon, why do you think there is support for the notion of starvation mode here? Anytime I see it brought up it gets quickly shot down.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You meant to direct that to jmp463, I think.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    With the help of MFP I have lost a lot of weight over the years and no doubt it been a positive in my life. However if there is a true downside to this site - its the amount of "Group-Think" on here. The Forms are filled with it. Starvation Mode is nothing but group think - someone says it - and because it sounds too good to be true (eat more to lose weight) - people buy into. If you dont believe it - go two three full days without eating anything - just drink water as needed -- at the end of it weigh yourself - I bet the number will be lower. Also the pictures of concentration camps the Nazis ran were not full of fat people and they didnt get that way from upping their calories.

Ironically, I don't think I've seen a single post on MFP in recent years where the 'group' has upheld the starvation mode myth...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You meant to direct that to jmp463, I think.

What lemurcat said. My bad and I'm sorry.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think many are mistaking what I meant by Group-Think - Yes I understand there is no "group" on here that subscribes to Starvation Mode - I just meant that someone brings it up - and regardless of how many people shoot it down - there is a "group" of people who read it and thinks it applies to them because it sounds good. But there is also a ton of Group-Think on this site on a variety of subjects.