Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, I am setting little goals today:

•teach positive
    •eat healthy food-3 meals and a snack
    •don't get sidetracked on the way to the gym, one errand only and then straight to gym to do cardio
    •count my blessings and look for the joy and peace all around me

I can do this! Will report back at the end of the day. NYKAREN
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    dpdora, portions are my downfall as well, especially when I am tired in the evenings! I do best when I make myself pay attention to portion size. Also, my husband loves to snack after dinner and I have to keep telling myself NO!! I have always had half the metabolism he does.

Something else I struggle with... it is often said that while we can control little in our lives, we can control what we put in our mouths. That's the problem!!! When I eat, I feel for a few minutes that I am in control. I like that feeling... I need to learn the other side of it, that when I have had enough, I control stopping as well!!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    <3 Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! Welcome newbies! It is always fascinating to me to see all of the different women from different places around the world; coming together to support each other in achieving a healthier lifestyle despite the many obstacles that face us depending on where we hail from. (Greece, Nigeria, Longyearbyen, England/UK, Ireland, U.S.A., Canada) Amazing ladies.
    Lenora- <3 the flamingo slippers! And the pink leggings go with them!
    Sherry- You crack me up! Anytime you are in the West Michigan area, you come on over and I will give you your choice of play-doh colors and tools to play with it! Yesterday the boys were busy making play-doh snowmen and snowman poop! (boys!) So happy to see your warm boots and cozy clothes! Great friends taking care of you!
    Penny-thinking of you as I reflect on the anniversary of that tragedy. Wonderful that the community came together to remember those lost; but seeing something like that happen and how your small community pulled together and got things done, just speaks volumes for the closeness of a little town. Sending much love and hugs to you and your little town <3
    Lisa- So are you now down to your part time hours? How is it working out for you?
    Hugs to everyone that needs them. Thinking of you all, kids arriving no time for more right now! KJ (Kelly)

Oh! remind me to tell everyone about the crazy twin excitement over the weekend.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    slept almost 9 1/2 hrs ,and I needed it, even after a nap.. thank goodness for an extended vacation..it really does recharge the batteries..
    hoping to go to Sanibel on thursday.. will find out if Tom want's to go still or not..
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi all
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Meredith – Maybe buying some things like small carrots (you can buy the sweet babies), or halos (small tangerines), or even some kind of nuts (or protein bars) to have ‘on hand’ when DH starts snacking. I find that ‘if’ I pre-tract my calories for a day, it keeps me far more honest with myself – except maybe for the water I plan on drinking. I try to get 8 cups of water in, and then I drink at least 6 cups of coffee a day (2 mugs in AM, 2 mugs in PM). I’m sure my MD would ‘hate’ to know that. LOL! But, that is what my body is used to; and, coffee counts as ‘liquid’. I do have to track the sugar I put in it.
    Trying to chew my food, slowing, instead of ‘gobbling’ it down – helps make me feel fuller, faster and not bloated in an hour because I have eaten too much.

Lisa – Was interested in the ‘names’ you associated with ages of the ladies on here. So I looked it up on Cortana:

Denarian: Someone age 10 to 19.
    Vicenarian: Someone in his or her twenties.
    Tricenarian: Someone in his or her thirties.
    Quadragenarian: Someone in his or her forties.
    Quinquagenarian: Someone in his or her fifties.
    Sexagenarian: Someone in his or her sixties.
    Septuagenarian: Someone in his or her seventies.
    Octogenarian: Someone in his or her eighties.
    Nonagenarian: Someone in his or her nineties.
    Centenarian: Someone 100 or more.
    Supercentenarian - Someone older than dirt! [description added]

Sometimes part of the late Vicenarians and early Tricenarians are the "Boomerang" Generation, which means they have moved back into the homes of their parents. Whether they pay them for 'room and board' are just between jobs, marriages, or under other circumstances.

Now to find out the classes … i.e. – Baby Boomers … Millenniums … Sandwich generation. So here it is:

This is a listing of recent generations for individuals born in the United States. Dates are approximate, as recognized by demographers.

2000/2001-Present - New Silent Generation or Generation Z
    1980-2000 - Millennials or Generation Y
    1965-1979 - Generation X
    1946-1964 - Baby Boom
    1925-1945 - Silent Generation
    1900-1924 - G.I. Generation

I think the ‘Silent Generation’ (Lucky Generation) is also called the ‘Sandwich generation’, because so many of them were raising children and at the same time ‘taking care of aging parents’, who sometimes are also living with them.

The Population Reference Bureau provides an alternate listing and chronology of generational names in the United States.

1983-2001 - New Boomers
    1965-1982 - Generation X
    1946-1964 - Baby Boomers
    1929-1945 - Lucky Few
    1909-1928 - Good Warriors
    1890-1908 - Hard Timers
    1871-1889 - New Worlders

That’s my ‘tidbit’ of the day … I like your “Latin-flavored” post; HA! HA! HA! I’m glad to know that ‘sex’ is included in the generation I fall within …”sexagenarians”. Our children do not want to hear anything coming out of our mouths that even faintly gives them the idea that we still ‘think’ or ‘do’ anything ‘sex’ual. That is one way we can ‘clear the house’ of DOS’ family. However, DYS and his family don't mind it; and, like to hear that we still have that much love involved in our relationship … albeit maybe it has taken a little turn due to a few ‘bumps in the road’.

I don't agree that the "New Silent Generation or Generation Z" are the least bit 'silent'. That is close to the age (including the Millennials) that are doing a lot of the 'protesting, rioting, and looting' ... some are even too young to even vote. They are just caught up in the fury of things going on around them.

I think every generation (about every 20 years), we try to make our children's lives better. I still am of the 'opinion' and that is 'only my opinion' that the Baby Boomer generation is the last, best, great time to grow up in and still understand the after-affects of a 'pointless' war (Vietnam). But, we still have to honor those in our generation, the one before us, and subsequent generations who are serving [or have] our county to help keep it 'free'. Everyone here have opinions about us and also about themselves in whatever type of government they are dealing with. Like it or not ... we are all the same - but still different. This site gives that to us as well as encouragement and support in a 'common' thread.

KJ – Since I receive the slippers … first time in I can’t remember when, that my ‘feet’ stay warm. If my feet ever get ‘cold’ or ‘wet’ … it usually takes a hot shower to warm me up. Putting these on after a nice hot shower keeps them warm. But, I can see “Cracker” eyeing them, for any chance that I might take them off within her reach. Not gonna happen again.

Lenora
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Just realized that I did not post yesterday when I logged in with 99 posts to read! I had to skim through. The humidity in Florida would be a problem for me.

On the app, if you look to the right of where you can bold or Chang the font, on the app for phones and tablets, there is a little camera. Click on that and you can take a picture or look through your phone pics to post.

Spent the day at doctors again yesterday. DH for cortisone shot, stepped at an old fashioned toy store we found on the way home. Had roasted chicken for lunch about 2:30, then I went to the chiropractor for neck therapy. Got home and finished my school assignments due Monday. Helped DH put up a new shelf he made for me then collapsed in front of the TV, in bed at 9.

No plans for today yet. We will see what comes up. I want to go to Kohls but we will see.

Rita from CT
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    MeredithDeV: I hope you are able to get your work hours under better control. I am happier & feel healthier with a lower carb/higher protein balance in my diet. Listening to your body is a good idea IMHO. :smiley:

Sherry: Walking is one of the very best exercises, in my opinion. You seem to be doing a lot of things that are positive steps toward happiness & better health. Good for you! BTW, long posts are just fine with me when they are filled with the positive comments that you tend to make. :flowerforyou:

Dora from Athens, Greece: Welcome to a great group of supportive women! I spent a bit of money and bought a food scale and restaurant style dishers to help me with portion control. They were a big help & I still use them. The food scale came from Amazon and was a moderate price. The dishers were from a restaurant supply place and cost more. Ordinary measuring cups will do the job. :smiley:

Heather: Thank you for the Bea fix & the photo of your son with all of the children. She is divine & so are her brother, sister & dad. :heart:

Rita: It sounds as though you had a very good day. Your DH made a charming shelf for you. He has talent and skill. :flowerforyou:

The snow is gone and it is not currently raining. Wahoo! I hope to walk with my friend this morning. I haven't heard from her yet, but it is still early. It is the dog's day to go to the groomer & I'm hoping DH will handle picking him up. I can drop him off before walking without a problem.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    The doctors finally decided that my mom has pneumonia. It didn't show up because she was so dehydrated. My brother told me not to come down as she would be in the hospital until Christmas and is so out of it that she wouldn't know I was there. I don't know what to do as I hated having to drive down on the busy travel days.. Three brothers and a sister live fairly close by.

SMALL RANT! I am done trying to shop online. I've ended up with 4 Hover balls (only wanted one) because the shopping emails sent by Amazon, Walmart and Target were so confusing. Amazon said they couldn't feel the order so went on Walmart. They sent an email that looked like they wouldn't be sending it so I went to Target. Now, all of a sudden they've sent me 4 between the two stores and no packing slips and no way to return. Guess I will donated the extras to a needy children's box somewhere.

Heather ~ Your son and his children are all beautiful. Blue, blue eyes!

Lenora ~ Very cute slippers. I can see why Cracker thinks they are his.

Sherry ~ What nice presents to receive. And, how nice that you are able to stay in touch with the abuser's family. That says a lot about you.

Carol

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rita ~ What a lovely shelf. Your DH must be really talented.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'VE WRAPPED THE PRESENTS! :drinker:
    Only got DH's "stocking"presents to do now. I bought him shoes this year and he bought me a phone on Black Friday. We usually tell each other exactly what we want, or we get a joint present. Two years we bought a case of extra special wines. One year we booked a very posh meal for January. :D One year we booked a trip in an E type Jag.
    We always get each other small things, books etc, to open on Christmas morning in bed. From Santa. <3 This year I have got him a few things that are for me as much as him. :*;)>:)

Kim - my phone deal is £15 per month SIM only. I could probably cut that as I never use the minutes or data up. Why is yours so expensive? Even one that includes a posh phone would only be £44 a month.

Still haven't got the tree out of the loft. :s

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    2izc0b034285.jpg
    no snow anymore
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    up late, got half the day off. going to go workout and order something for Kirby since I can't do it before or after work
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    morning again~
    no walking because I am a little dizzy... went out to breakfast.. not to our liking so wont go back..Tom took out some edging and took it down to where we dump stuff here in the park.. and I dont know what the plan of action is after that.. he is looking for some mower friendly edging so dont know if we will go take a look at that... then hopefully if I am feeling a bit better off to the pool though it is supposed to rain for an hr or 2.. which we need down here too.
    Heather- the grands are adorable.. as is your son.. waiting to hear from DD there closing is on the house today and I am so excited for them.. they dont know what they are getting into ..but good for them...
    it is 80 degrees here as of right now...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather thanks for the grandkids fix, they are all so adorable!

Carol my <3 goes out to you, it was right after the new year that I lost my mom 4 years ago Jan 5, the travel back and forth was just not possible, she had lots of my sibs around her, so that is how I could handle it, knowing they were surrounding her.

Cheri love the gingerbread boy, he has been hiding everywhere in my elementary school and the kindergartners are over the moon when they find him hiding in my big bass! I have to play a song to make him come out! We have a "Flat Stanley" project I remember doing with my daughter, that was such fun.

Steady as we go, living up to my goals bit by bit today......I did nibble a cheese straw and then tossed it out...it was homemade and I was curious about it, everything else was store bought so I didn't touch the carbo-table!!!
    Just have a few more hours to go before I run an errand and hit the gym. Staying in the moment.

NYKAREN