WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I’m still sick and seem to be worse, but poor DH has chills and fever, so he stayed home. DD#2 is at the cardiologist’s office with Benny Beagle. I have to stop by on the way home to consult with him and see if there are any changes. I’m at work (again about the only one here) and hope to get a lot done today because I am not coming in tomorrow. NE plays their bowl game tomorrow afternoon and we are having company plus I have to grocery shop…of course that depends on feeling better.

Lenora: your post reminded me of an interview I saw last night with Carrie Fischer who said that mental illness is either funny or tragic and she chose funny because otherwise she couldn’t’ stand it. I love your attitude. Your word puns were hilarious!

Joyce so glad you are home. The transfusion “rule” is a development from the AIDS days; there is too much risk of infectious disease transmission (a couple of years ago someone got rabies from blood) so now they don’t transfuse at all if they can help it, and only when the hemoglobin is way low.

Allie: good for you to keep gathering information. I take it your state is not “community property” and “no fault”.

Carol: thinking of you and sending your lovely family my prayers and good wishes. The little ones are adorable.

Beth: sitting in the ED is never fun. I’m glad things worked out. Stay warm and safe there!

Michele: always nice to see what you are up to

Heather: do you have any upcoming trips planned?

Lilybeth and StrzyKa and Anne and Heather: welcome

Lisa: glad you are home safe and sound! Too bad about that key!

Allie: stay strong! Enjoy that bed!

Karen: I just love the smell of yeast bread! We trauma nurses say “Spontaneous breathing is overrated”!!!

OK I’m out to try and get a lot done today here at work. Take care, Meg from Omaha where the sun is shining

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord help me, just ordered my bed and new mattress from Wayfair~ I love it but 863.00 free shipping,and Tom will have a cow when the credit card bill comes.. but I deserve to sleep in a comfortable bed.. out for a walk..

:)Allie, Tom has a cow over everything and you've put up with it for years...at least this time you did something really good for yourself.
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 49 sw 145 gw 120 . I am rethinking my gym membership. It takes 15 minutes to drive there, wastes gas.. I have a little bike at home and I can watch the shows I want. True I have no treadmill for the long east coast winter.. hesitating to drop it though as it gives me an alternative to staying home sometimes.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Joyce: I hope you feel better soon. (((hugs)))

Becca: I'm glad you're getting a visit from your middle son. I hope the road trip to the airport was uneventful. :smiley:

Alison: Stay strong. (((hugs)))

StrzyKa: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Post often. :flowerforyou:

Carol: I'm glad your mom's funeral was nice. You have a lovely family. Thanks for sharing the picture. :heart:

Pip: I hope the iwatch works for you. :smiley: I don't use one, but all of the apple products I have are solid and reliable. :flowerforyou:

Beth: It sounds like your family has had more than its share of doctor visits lately. I hope things settle down soon. It is good that your DH will be joining you in your efforts to be healthier. :heart:

Michele: I can't get DH to exercise with me, either. :grumble:

Gloria: I love Father Time! :smiley:

Lilybeth62: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop in regularly for support. Some of us are here to maintain our weight and others are working on losing. :flowerforyou:

Bellipong aka Heather in Bournemouth England: Welcome to a great group. We have another Heather in England, too. She goes by Heather UK. It will be fun getting to know you. :flowerforyou:

Lilymay: Good to see your post! :smiley:

Rita: I'm sad to lose Debbie Reynolds, too. She filmed the original Halloween Town in our community and was gracious and lovely to everyone. :heart:

ClarityPeace: Welcome to a great group! I have a gym membership and take yoga classes there. It is worth it to me. The members and owners there are really nice. I also have a recumbent bike in the garage and can burn calories here at home when the weather outside is frightful or to earn an extra treat. Only you can decide whether the gym membership is worth the money & trouble. :star:

Today DH has another appointment with the eye doctor. This time it is for the purpose of taking measurements for his upcoming surgery. I have a standing "date" to walk with a friend on Tuesdays and Thursdays but I have heard from her & she will not be walking today. I'll spend some time on the bike in the garage. It is so good to have an easy alternative to get my exercise. :bigsmile:

If you are new, you need to know that on December 31, Barbie will post a new January thread for this group. There will be a link at the bottom of this page that will take you to the new thread.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all new peeps and how doin to all the old ones simxephmkdp3.jpg
    is02j8lyku8v.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    pip. Is kirbys hair that long now? Or is that an older pic??

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    <3

Kate UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. In pain but up. I have decided that instead of using my pain medicine and muscle relaxant only at bedtime that for while maybe I need to use it more routinely, like 3 times a day. So I have taken both of them and am on the heating pad. Michelle bought me a vaporizer when she got off work last night and I am looking at this massive, in my eyes. thing and wondering where it is going to go. I know it needs tobe close to me so the only logical place is on the end table along with the light and junk that I have thought was needed for so many years. So while Charlie is still in bed, I will try to move things off the end table. Still haven't figured out how the vaporizer works. I was thinking it woudl be the old fashioned one with the big empty bowl you put water in and put the top on. When I was in the hospital with this huge humidity mask connected to my face, the evening respiratory therapist decided that I needed to keep it on at night instead of me using my CPAP which has the humidity set at high. Finally convinced her that my CPAP was best. Actually was prepared to say that I was declining the vaporizer mask at night and would have got up myself and moved the table which had my CPAP on it close to the bed and plugged it in. WaLa, I can now go to bed. So she finally decided to set my CPAP up for me. I told her it needs nothing to set it up. Bring it over to me, plug it is ad it is set up so that when I inhale in it turns on and I am set for the night. Well she did something anyway. Last night when I am plugging it in to go to sleep, I am in bed, put the mask on and take a breath and nothing happens. So instead I press the start button. It turns itself on, gets itself up to my pressure and then turns itself off. There is no way I can get that thing to work. So I have to not only go to bed without my CPAP but without the precious humidity that the ENT doctor said is so immportant that I keep at max in my home. I am using my saline nasal spray quite often. I am waiting on a call from the equipment place for them to fix my CPAP. I am glad it is all my cell signals so I don't have to take it in.

Today is laundry day for Charlie. I sat on the side of my bed where my laundry hamper is and set him up with 2 loads. I now have 2 sets of pjs that have so much blood on them that they need to be thrown away. But I haven't found anywhere that sells these capri light weight pjs that are so comfy. I bought them years ago and would hate to throw them away. I will just have him presoak them and it needed use bleach even thought they are nice colors. It won't bother me if they have to be bleached. I'm not vain.

Michelle bought me tissue paper last night and my sister provided me with a huge sack of gift bags so I need to take the few gifts I have and put them in gift bags. I usually love to take numerous colors of tissue wrap and really put some flair in my bag but this year it will all be white! Well I usually wrap all my gifts in regular Christmas wrapping paper. But not this year. It hurts enough just to sit, much less cut, move boxes to fit paper, wrap, pretty bow, etc. Basic for me!!! But Saturday is getting close and I need to get this done. I was going to wrap Ellie's sled in Sunday's comic paper but they got thrown out in the trash. So I don't know how I will wrap that. To my husband's much disdain, I have my exercise bike sitting in the living room. For our meeting hall we rented for Saturday, we need a small tree. I have this 4 foot tree in a box that we will take out and decorate. But for Friday night when we have Christmas just with us and our 2 daughters and family, the 4 foot tree in it's box will sit on the seat of my bike right in the picture window!!!! I have to laugh or I will be crying. So keep a sense of humor and that is what I will teach my grand children.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Joyce- I will be praying for you to have a fantastic Christmas with your family! I hope things get better for you really soon!

Margaret - i'm glad to see that you are part of the challenge! Too bad we are not on the same team! We can still be support buddies on this thread though!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Charleen ~ Lenora loves flamingos. LOL
  • JJsGirl2014
    JJsGirl2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Exercised at Planet Fitness today. It had been a while since I spent that much time (over an hour) just getting to know my strengths and weaknesses all over again. Looking forward to another session on Saturday.

Everyone have a very Happy New Year. Be safe and enjoy yourself.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    pip. Is kirbys hair that long now? Or is that an older pic??

Old pic, having him grow it out again
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Helllooooo ladies!! Katla~ We left the house at about 11:30am and there was slush and snow on the summit of Hwy 26. I would have freaked driving, so I was glad husband was driving. My son's flight was to arrive from Sacramento at 3:40PM but when we looked at the board (with husband doing laps with the car), we saw that the flight wasn't coming until 4:35PM. I called son wondering if he was enroute to the claims area, and he says that he is in the Medford airport, and the plane is refueling because of the fog in the PDX area. So he finally showed up at about 5:40PM. We caught husband just as he was going to pull out for another lap! Sadly, with it being so late, we didn't get to bring him to my MIL in Gresham. But we had a long drive home, stopping in Rainier for burgers. I had a "wedge" salad with tomatoes and some great blue cheese dressing!

Opened presents with middle son today. He liked my photo box of pictures I think. I also gave him his leather pouch of Renaissance Faire trinkets. Most were from games he had played there, and at SCA events. If you won you got either shells, or a glass blob (dragons tears). In the bag were his baby teething ring my mom bought for each of the boys, and his clip from his umbilical cord. Also some crazy looking teeth that dentists had pulled, and a deer tooth. TREASURES...

I gave him a R2D2 unit that we bought when the boys were younger. About 1 1/2 ft tall, can hold a soda, and can do commands if you ask it nicely. We told the boys it was their younger brother... Its a bit faded, and the batteries had corroded in it, so some cleaning has to be done. He has a Roomba cleaning unit, so both of them running around their house should freak out their dogs or entertain them!

Well everyone take a deep breath, the year is almost over, and we can really officially "reset". Change is good!

((((group hugs)))))

Becca
    Oregon

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 45, 5X5X 50
    OHP- 5X5X 45
    DL-3X5X 90

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-11 X7X 30

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – That was a ‘snickery’ remark about height differences probably not making any difference in bed. Louis said, that he would have liked to have seen this couple I was talking about. If he was 6’4” … she could not have been even 4’8”. Looked like a picture we have of our DYS next to a really tall, retired professional basketball player and his brother; and DYS came up to the logo on his shirt and he is 5'10". Louis would have been even shorter; because both boys are about 5” taller than he is.

Heather – I feel sorry for you for the plumbing issues and ceiling and wall in the kitchen. The worse thing about water damage is that it can be feet away from where the leaks are, because it follows the line of least resistance. We had water coming in and it affected the far corner of the porch ceiling; so Louis had to repair it after we found where it was leaking. It was from the gutter outside that had gotten full of pine straw. They are so deep that we could not see them and there are not pines near the only line of gutters on the back of the house.

Allie – Just look at it like this, he can take the old mattress when he has to leave; you would have needed one anyway.

I sure hope that your state IS a ‘no-fault’ state, so that you won’t have to bring up any of the things that are ‘apparently’ going on. I know my DDnL#2 said that the state they live in is not only a ‘community property’ state, they also require a full year after the divorce is filed and before the decree is taken, as a ‘cooling off period’. I will write something to you privately in a little while.

Meg – Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the puns. Carrie Fischer was correct about a ‘mental illness’ … you can either try to make it a ‘blessing’ or a ‘curse’. I chose the blessing. I Googled famous people who were bipolar and I am sort of proud that I could be in that group. Now I know why my parents and others used to hand me their church bulletins to draw on, and keep me quiet. I thought it was so said that her Mother Debbie Reynolds died the next day; whether it was a stroke or not, she surely died from a ‘broken’ heart. A few years ago, my DOS came home with DH after going fishing on Father’s Day which also was his birthday. He came in telling me that he was behind 3 or 4 other cars; when someone passed him (pulling a boat) and the cars ahead of him, when the ‘passing lane’ was for the other side, not theirs; and, if car or especially a truck had topped the hill there would have been dead bodies all over everywhere. When he left, I asked Louis to tell me what really happened and he said that what Trey had said, had actually happened, he would have been right. I think I had ‘nightmares’ for at least 2 nights.

Joyce – I hope you are feeling much better, too. I had to have blood transfusions and had a reaction to one of them; but, they decided that they had actually put one that was not my blood type. I broke out like I had German measles and itched all over. Benadryl in the drip helped that quickly.

Louis get enough exercise because he is constantly climbing up and down ladders; and moving some that are 40’ or more. They don’t normally use scaffolding because his nephew has passed away and he was his ‘monkey painter’ and would climb up on the roof to paint the high points.

Joyce – Make sure you are not going to be doing things like ‘driving’ if you take you muscle relaxant during the day. I know if I take one, my legs turn to rubber. The first time I did so, I had to call Louis and Trey to come get me; when Trey opened the door and I went to get out, if he had not caught me, I would have hit the ground pretty hard.

My old C-pap would turn on when I took in a deep breath; but, not the new one. I don’t like my new one, at all. The humidifier comes out at the top; and I had to take a marker to the triangle that was etched into it; but, I could not see it, and I spill the distilled water all over the place and it stains the carpet.
    I’ve always like wrapping presents; but, this year I bought decorated packages. I just was not in the mood this year.

Charleen – I LOVE THE FLAMINGO UMBRELLA; I collect ‘flamingos’. My DOGS saw my flamingo slippers at Wal-Mart and got her boyfriend to pay for them, so she could get them right then. She knew is she came back later, they’d be ‘gone’ … she did, and, they were. Where did you get it?

Becca – I could just imagine what Cracker would do if we had the R2D2 and a Roomba cleaning unit … she’d be running from one to the other and trying to bite them. She hates it when I use anything that makes noise, and she still runs up to me when I have my flamingo slippers on, but, she doesn’t dare touch them.

Lenora
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,914 Member
    Options
    Changes and new beginnings always is good. Hurry up 2017!

graphics-alice-in-wonderland-662419.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: I am glad you are up. It is a good sign, but I sure wish you were feeling better. :heart:

Charleen2: Your "white elephant" is stunning. :bigsmile:

Becca: I'm glad you made your trip to Portland and back without any major mishap. Enjoy your son while he's here. :flowerforyou:

Rita: Time is just flying by. No need to rush it. You do realize that we'll all be older in the New Year, right? Lets do our best to be older, healthier and happier. :wink:

We just got home from the eye doctor's office. DH had his eye measured for the new lens. Surgery is happening in a couple of weeks. They'll take the cataract out and insert the new lens. It will take a few days after surgery for his vision to clear.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

Just checking in... Work is the usual madness and I am not paying too much attention, for the remaining days of 2016, to eating low carb, or worrying overly much about anything except making it through to the New Year.

I will spend this weekend working on my Backyard Fence - so, I guess I will get a little calorie burn, at least... I hope all of you have a marvelous weekend! Talk to you in the New Year~!

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • pipcd34
    Options