The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• yangyee7
    yangyee7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Am 40, from Singapore. Trying hard (struggling) to get to a healthier weight range. But so many mooncakes to eat here... Sigh! Feel free to add me 😎
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Ralphone wrote: »
    Happy Friday eve all hope you are all having a good day

Having a wet night. Pouring rain, and roads flooded.

I hope your home is safe from the floods

Yes. Got a new roof about 5 years ago.

Quite fun watching the lightning and hearing the thunder.

I'm not so keen on lots of lightning unless I'm huddled in my bed lol.. its less scary from there

Very true. Getting in my bed now.

Night Tony 🙂
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Morning y'all. Hope Friday is treating you well. 👋
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday people! B)
  • skinnycat2B
    skinnycat2B Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, and finally ready after 10 years to correct my weight and health. :) I'd like to be included in this group!
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, and finally ready after 10 years to correct my weight and health. :) I'd like to be included in this group!

Hi! Welcome aboard.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    I'm 54 next month (the wife is 57). We lost over 100 lbs combined six years ago and have maintained since. Went from couch potatoes to working out 6 days a week. Eating like garbage cans to mostly Whole Food Plant Based.

That’s awesome. How did you change your habits so completely?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm 54 next month (the wife is 57). We lost over 100 lbs combined six years ago and have maintained since. Went from couch potatoes to working out 6 days a week. Eating like garbage cans to mostly Whole Food Plant Based.

Steve, it was a slower process. Six years (seven when I started losing) is a long time. Actually, we worked out around two years before that but I only lost around 20 lbs by working out.

My heaviest, I was around 245/250 (I'm not tall!). I was over 40% body fat. Injured my knee, couldn't walk for nearly two years. Rehabbing my knee started my working out. Just literally turning an exercise bike for me. Then walking with a limp progressed to a few hundred yards. Within a couple years, I was walking 3/4 miles every day at lunch. We began going to the gym, I got down to around 217 or so but couldn't lose more. Then started tracking calories (on Loseit, not on MFP, but LI has been gradually declining). I just ate less but still same stuff, just cutting out worst stuff. Continued working out, actually began jogging (really slowly). Progressed over two years to doing 7 or 8 mile trail runs, really hard elevations.

The wife joined me and lost around 20 lbs tracking, then 25lbs. This was after she developed Fibromyalgia. She was miserable and her Integrative doc recommended that she eliminate gluten/dairy. Along with some supplements, she improved dramatically. She dropped the 20 lbs in a month and 5 later. Since then we've gone mostly Whole food, plant based (helps greatly with inflammation). Going Dairy/Gluten free wasn't something I planned. I never thought I'd do that but the first time we went out to eat after her doc advised her to do it, we were eating at a Cheesecake Factory and I ate a whole loaf of the oatbread they serve after asking her if I could in front of her. Though she said yes, I finished the loaf and looked over and she was crying. Last piece of bread I've had. That was over five years ago. I love bread and dairy but I love my wife a lot more and she wouldn't have stuck with that diet without me doing it with her. Explains a lot about my attitudes. I see people in Chronic pain a lot on the forums. If it seems I have less tolerance/sympathy, it's because I've changed everything when I didn't have to. I can't imagine people not being willing to change for something that helps them. Just in my makeup. I'm that "tough love" person. Sometimes, people don't want to hear what they need to hear. It's not that I'm not without a heart, it's just there are things all of us can do to help our own health along and not rely entirely on a magic pill. I'm 100% for that and people taking accountability for their health.

I don't run anymore (chronic runner's knee developed in my good knee, ironically), but I do indoor rowing competively. It's a really odd, niche sport. It keeps me challenged. We've also just recently taken up Pickleball too (we played over 6 hours last week on top of work and exercise!).

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm in, by far, the best shape of my life. Even better than when I played high school sports. Mostly because I don't take my health for granted any more.

These seem like drastic changes (and they are) but they were very much gradual and consistent over a long time. Nearly 10 years since I made a determination to change.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options

Steve, it was a slower process. Six years (seven when I started losing) is a long time. Actually, we worked out around two years before that but I only lost around 20 lbs by working out.

My heaviest, I was around 245/250 (I'm not tall!). I was over 40% body fat. Injured my knee, couldn't walk for nearly two years. Rehabbing my knee started my working out. Just literally turning an exercise bike for me. Then walking with a limp progressed to a few hundred yards. Within a couple years, I was walking 3/4 miles every day at lunch. We began going to the gym, I got down to around 217 or so but couldn't lose more. Then started tracking calories (on Loseit, not on MFP, but LI has been gradually declining). I just ate less but still same stuff, just cutting out worst stuff. Continued working out, actually began jogging (really slowly). Progressed over two years to doing 7 or 8 mile trail runs, really hard elevations.

The wife joined me and lost around 20 lbs tracking, then 25lbs. This was after she developed Fibromyalgia. She was miserable and her Integrative doc recommended that she eliminate gluten/dairy. Along with some supplements, she improved dramatically. She dropped the 20 lbs in a month and 5 later. Since then we've gone mostly Whole food, plant based (helps greatly with inflammation). Going Dairy/Gluten free wasn't something I planned. I never thought I'd do that but the first time we went out to eat after her doc advised her to do it, we were eating at a Cheesecake Factory and I ate a whole loaf of the oatbread they serve after asking her if I could in front of her. Though she said yes, I finished the loaf and looked over and she was crying. Last piece of bread I've had. That was over five years ago. I love bread and dairy but I love my wife a lot more and she wouldn't have stuck with that diet without me doing it with her. Explains a lot about my attitudes. I see people in Chronic pain a lot on the forums. If it seems I have less tolerance/sympathy, it's because I've changed everything when I didn't have to. I can't imagine people not being willing to change for something that helps them. Just in my makeup. I'm that "tough love" person. Sometimes, people don't want to hear what they need to hear. It's not that I'm not without a heart, it's just there are things all of us can do to help our own health along and not rely entirely on a magic pill. I'm 100% for that and people taking accountability for their health.

I don't run anymore (chronic runner's knee developed in my good knee, ironically), but I do indoor rowing competively. It's a really odd, niche sport. It keeps me challenged. We've also just recently taken up Pickleball too (we played over 6 hours last week on top of work and exercise!).

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm in, by far, the best shape of my life. Even better than when I played high school sports. Mostly because I don't take my health for granted any more.

These seem like drastic changes (and they are) but they were very much gradual and consistent over a long time. Nearly 10 years since I made a determination to change.

That's incredible Mike. I'm 48, 251lbs and around 34% BF. I've been trying for years to fix this. I get success and then gain it all back plus more. Having asthma stops most of my exercising but I hike when I can find the time. I'm starting to do body-weight strength training because I'm weaker now than I've ever been after some surgeries a few years ago. I'm the only one in my house trying to lose the weight which makes it difficult.

I feel for your wife. I had to do the gluten free thing for about 2 years. Hated it because everyone else was eating the stuff I loved to eat in front of me. Thankfully my body healed whatever it needed to in those 2 years so I can eat it again. You're a great husband for making that adjustment for her.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with how to do it right. Slow, steady, consistent action toward a goal. So many people (myself included sometimes) start changing so much all at once and get overwhelmed. Small steps, built up over time seems to be the best way for lasting success.

Thanks for sharing your story.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    No problem Steve. I read something last year that I wish I had known when I was changing. It was actually a weight loss article related to habits and I think it's so true. It was a study. If people try to change just one thing at a time for a month to 6 weeks, they have an 80% chance of success. If they try to change two or more things, the success rate drops below 40%.

New people on here nearly always take on too much - logging, cutting back calories and working out. That's THREE habits at once to change. Just start with logging/weighing everything. That's a win in itself!

If I had to do everything over again I'd apply this. Just log everything for the first month. Build that habit, then perhaps take out one or two things I ate that were calorie bombs the next month, then perhaps add in movement the next month, even if for just two/three days a week. Build one habit at a time. Get them down, move on. When I look back at nearly 10 years, that's all it was. One habit at a time. Had setbacks, just kept trying. If I can do it anyone can.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    add me! I need motivation and will motivate!! I try to follow lower carb.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday late.just hanging tonight.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    No problem Steve. I read something last year that I wish I had known when I was changing. It was actually a weight loss article related to habits and I think it's so true. It was a study. If people try to change just one thing at a time for a month to 6 weeks, they have an 80% chance of success. If they try to change two or more things, the success rate drops below 40%.

New people on here nearly always take on too much - logging, cutting back calories and working out. That's THREE habits at once to change. Just start with logging/weighing everything. That's a win in itself!

If I had to do everything over again I'd apply this. Just log everything for the first month. Build that habit, then perhaps take out one or two things I ate that were calorie bombs the next month, then perhaps add in movement the next month, even if for just two/three days a week. Build one habit at a time. Get them down, move on. When I look back at nearly 10 years, that's all it was. One habit at a time. Had setbacks, just kept trying. If I can do it anyone can.

@MikePfirrman - Your story resonates with me. I struggled with weight gain as an adult, reaching 235lbs and 34% BF at 54years old in 2011, when I finally made the decision to make weight loss my priority. I started with a trainer and MFP and just stuck with it. I lost about 45 lbs over the first year, then kept chipping away at it for another 10lbs over the next year. As the weight came off, I resumed running and began to dabble in endurance sports. These new activities have replaced my old sedentary lifestyle. An unexpected bonus has been the very active group of friends my wife and I have made through my participation in racing and training.

So I agree with your assessment that anyone can do it. Its very simple, yet it is not easy. The key is to Just Keep Going...

I'd also second your suggestion about making only one change at a time. There's a very interesting book by Charles Duhigg, titled "The Power of Habit" that outlines why we do what we do, and how lasting change comes from making new habits. Its worth a read for anyone wondering how to make a change and have it stick.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

That's an amazing story.. your wife is so lucky to have your support..
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Sorry. Just passing through. I got lost on the way to the 60's forum...

Good afternoon :)
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Have a nice Saturday y'all. 🌞
  • vicyeh1
    vicyeh1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all, new to this group! I'm 38 and losing weight after baby no 3, getting fit and back to healthy. Looking for friends for support :)
  • borayaman
    borayaman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m Bora, 36 yo and from Turkey. I’ve more than happy with my extra pounds until my doc warned me with pre-diabetes. Now, I’m trying to establish a healthy life style. MFP helped me before and I believe it will help again to keep the lost weigth away 😊 All kind of support is welcome. Please feel free to add me 🤗