The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone! I am always looking for more active friends for motivation and encouragement. Send me a friend request! Have a great weekend!
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    emtpchris wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am 50 years old and I weigh 250 I am long-term trying to lose 80 pounds to get down to 170 as I am 5'8" but in the very immediate future I am quickly trying to get down to 230 to get breast reduction surgery before my medical insurance deductible renews in July... I have been going between 240 and 250 for about 2 months now... I just can't seem to get off this plateau... I go to the gym fairly regularly and do the stationary bike for 30 minutes with increasing resistance because I have orthostatic problems. However, recently as of today, I am working on getting on the treadmill and working up to walking a mile a day. Today I walked for 10 minutes and got a third of a mile. Tomorrow I am going to half a mile or more, I know I could walk the full mile just not at the pace of 2 miles per hour... my son has told me that I never commit to anything so today I quit smoking and started on the treadmill and I will keep committed to those two things for him... because he is disabled and needs a healthy mom. He is right. What he doesn't know is that my self-esteem is bottomed out and I need to work on that and then committing to things will be a lot easier. So, that is my story. it is nice to meet everyone, is there anyone who has a lot of weight to lose too and wants to partner with me and be accountable to each other? I think that would help a lot... I am a really nice encouraging person so don't be afraid to say hi everyone!
    Sincerely,
    Christine

You got this Chris, just take it one day at a time and one pound at a time. Don't try and do too much at one time.

Have a great day,

Christine, you've got what it takes to do this and more. The fact that you're here sharing tells me as much. It's not easy to share sometimes.

As @DWBalboa said; don't try to do too much at one time. That's a recipe for failure, imho. Start with the weight, and go from there. Do you mind if I ask what, if anything you're doing for dieting?

Lots of great folks on here happy to help you get through it all..

Good Luck.

• Craig_King_1967
    Craig_King_1967 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The weekend is here and after yesterdays mammoth workout sessions I am in need of a bit of a rest !
    27,000 steps completed, an hour on the cross trainer and the beginnings of weight work have taken their toll.
    I ache !!!
    Not resting too much though, today is swim day and let the aching muscles have a supported rest while they exercise.
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps....Happy Saturday enjoy the weekend!
  • sparkyvenkman
    sparkyvenkman Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    woo woo Saturday is here!
  • murphey021
    murphey021 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    42 years old and trying to get back in shape after rejoining MFP a couple weeks ago. Good luck to everyone and feel free to add me as I can always use the support to keep me motivated and and on track.
  • themofoqueenbee
    themofoqueenbee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just turned 43, running circles around my employees in their 20's!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    emtpchris wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am 50 years old and I weigh 250 I am long-term trying to lose 80 pounds to get down to 170 as I am 5'8" but in the very immediate future I am quickly trying to get down to 230 to get breast reduction surgery before my medical insurance deductible renews in July... I have been going between 240 and 250 for about 2 months now... I just can't seem to get off this plateau... I go to the gym fairly regularly and do the stationary bike for 30 minutes with increasing resistance because I have orthostatic problems. However, recently as of today, I am working on getting on the treadmill and working up to walking a mile a day. Today I walked for 10 minutes and got a third of a mile. Tomorrow I am going to half a mile or more, I know I could walk the full mile just not at the pace of 2 miles per hour... my son has told me that I never commit to anything so today I quit smoking and started on the treadmill and I will keep committed to those two things for him... because he is disabled and needs a healthy mom. He is right. What he doesn't know is that my self-esteem is bottomed out and I need to work on that and then committing to things will be a lot easier. So, that is my story. it is nice to meet everyone, is there anyone who has a lot of weight to lose too and wants to partner with me and be accountable to each other? I think that would help a lot... I am a really nice encouraging person so don't be afraid to say hi everyone!
    Sincerely,
    Christine

@emtpchris

Christine,

You can do this. It won't be easy, but YOU CAN DO IT!

Twenty pounds in three months is about 1.3 pounds per week. You can do it! It will also be a good start to a lifelong journey of good health. You can get to your long term goal if you choose to.

It's great you are doing activities to improve your fitness. Being active is good for our bodies and our minds. And it feels good! Keep it up! But you don't talk at all about your diet. The only way to lose weight is to have a calorie deficit. You'll be able to eat a little more when you're active, but you need to eat fewer calories than your body expends. A 3500 calorie deficit will burn about a pound of stored energy (fat). To lose 1.3 pounds a week, you need to create a 650 calorie PER DAY deficit. Once you get to your goal for surgery, you could slow down your loss to a pound a week with a 500 calorie daily deficit. Your food diary isn't open, so we can't tell what you're eating.

There's a lot of support on My Fitness Pal. Take advantage of it!
  • Worsum
    Worsum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    50+ here and walking myself to a healthier me...
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Just turned 43, running circles around my employees in their 20's!

Welcome to MFP. I'm 43 + 10.
  • Mephraim1
    Mephraim1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All...New to the board. Will be starting IF 16-8 on Monday. Pray for me!!
  • daisies_and_kittens
    daisies_and_kittens Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 29. . . .. do I count? Pretty darn close. ;)
  • Carried_aw4y
    Carried_aw4y Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello, I’m middle aged at 37? When did this happen?! Hahahaha... 😬 I’m always looking for friends, feel free to add me. I hope everyone’s having a great weekend. 🤓😊
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps!
  • sparkyvenkman
    Options
    Morning!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Buenos Dias
  • Ceenah80
    Ceenah80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 38! Welcome! feel free to add me as well!
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I'm doing church today, then just doing some things around home. What are you guys up to today?
  • sparkyvenkman
    Options
    Laundry Day. The sounds of washing and drying all day long. LOL
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday. Today consists of getting my son from his Grandma's and then not sure what else. I'm kinda hungry. I could do brunch perhaps. Haha. Wild day ahead