Long exercise purely to eat more?

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I do this alot ill walk 10-15 miles just so i can eat more, Lots more with that many miles.

Never really considered if this is normal or healthy or not. Anyone else do this? Sometimes i just really like to eat bulk food instead of 1200 calories. And i like walking so why not really. -shrugs- Been working for me so far. Kind of like planned indulging

Anyone know if this could be bad for me going from 1200 to closer to 2,000-2500 with walking some days at random.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Exercise bulimia is a thing (people who exercise a lot to burn off calories) and it can be damaging, but just being active isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Is it interfering with other parts of your life? Is it putting you at risk for injury or causing you to skip appropriate rest days?

I would just look at where it fit with the rest of my life. There is nothing inherently wrong with increasing your TDEE.

Nah i just do it sometimes when i feel like binge eating ill walk extra long to get the calories for an extra meal. Havent been working so had alot of free time. I did just get a new job as a mover though so all that walking leg strength is going to work out well for me anyway lol.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like to only eat back half of the calories I burn. Either way as long as it's manageable it sounds healthy. The word "binge" is concerning, but I don't think you meant it like that.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    coleg04 wrote: »
    I like to only eat back half of the calories I burn. Either way as long as it's manageable it sounds healthy. The word "binge" is concerning, but I don't think you meant it like that.

yeah i should have said indulge
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't walk that much just to earn 800 cals more for the day.

There is nothing wrong with the distance or the walking per se, but I would look at my calorie goal, macros, micros and see where I could find the calories and foods that would satiate me.

Can you change your goal for a lower loss per week?

I would also look for something that gave be a higher calorie burn per hour than walking. I don't have the inclination or time to walk that amount.

If it suits you long term, into maintenance and beyond, fine, carry on. Personally I would increase my calorie goal, my daily activity level, find a higher burning exercise, and learn to manage my portion sizes.

Cheers, h.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I get it, lol. I typically spend 1.5 hour on my exercise bike, and might go for a 3.5 mile walk too (when it's nice out. Hasn't really happened lately). I need the extra calories.

However, I agree that some days it seems to make me much hungrier than the calories I gain from it.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do this, initially it was just to lose weight but now technically I should be at maintenance. I have decided, I want to eat chocolate etc. again so I make sure I have more than enough cals to eat whatever the hell I like at night
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    I do this, initially it was just to lose weight but now technically I should be at maintenance. I have decided, I want to eat chocolate etc. again so I make sure I have more than enough cals to eat whatever the hell I like at night

Cool so its semi normal im hearing as long as it doesnt effect my life. I started as a way to increase my defecit, And ensure i had enough calories for a few beers a week. Maybe a pizza or something. I love pizza ;D
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Cool so its semi normal im hearing as long as it doesnt effect my life. I started as a way to increase my defecit, And ensure i had enough calories for a few beers a week. Maybe a pizza or something. I love pizza ;D

For me that's satisfying. Having that fear of logging something like a whole pizza or something pretty big but realising you still have plenty of room for something else big and nasty...... especially if you get the 'low cal' pizza options
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing sometimes. Occasionally I like to indulge at an all you can eat fish fry with my family or some other meal or outing where I know I'm gonna eat way more than my allotted 1200 calories.
    If I know I'm going out, I'll shave off less calories the days leading up to it (do 1000-1100 per day) and also do an extra work out.

I don't see it as a problem unless you let it control your life.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

For me that's satisfying. Having that fear of logging something like a whole pizza or something pretty big but realising you still have plenty of room for something else big and nasty...... especially if you get the 'low cal' pizza options

A thin crust pizza (decent size) from the store is under 800 calories. Sucks if you only have 1200 a day, But super doable if you burn a few hundred off walkign for another m eal in your day. Yum. I don't really get any guilt over it. Just work to make it fit :p Helps that i walk 4 miles just to buy it from the store when i want it :)
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do it from time to time too, also i will sometimes bank my macros so i can eat more of one thing in a larger portion in a given week.

Idk if its unhealthy or a problem but i know i love it and haven't had any issues or set backs