Long exercise purely to eat more?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    @JaydedMiss so why not try for 4mph or fast /slow intervals and make your walk more time efficient? :smiley:
    I run for 40-50 mins every morning to get at least half my steps in before work.

I walk however fast i want when im out, Just said 3 mph because 2 hours of my day spent exercising is NOT alot of my time to do. Why you talking about more time efficient than 2 hours :D

To be young with no responsibilities, where 2 hours a day is considered a drop in the bucket for time.

We all have our priorities. The average American spends 34 hours a week watching TV, but scoffs at the idea of having 2 hours in a day for their health.

I watch roughly 30 minutes of t.v. per night with my wife while we eat dinner and that's it...I wish I had two hours every single day to dedicate to exercise...that would be great...I love to ride and it would be awesome...but while exercise is a priority, so are a lot of other things. I can get in 30 minutes to an hour most days...a little more if I don't have to work through my lunch which has become more of the norm these days...the only time I really have two hours to workout without my wife turning on me is on the weekend.

• cwolfman13
    rybo wrote: »
    @JaydedMiss so why not try for 4mph or fast /slow intervals and make your walk more time efficient? :smiley:
    I run for 40-50 mins every morning to get at least half my steps in before work.

I walk however fast i want when im out, Just said 3 mph because 2 hours of my day spent exercising is NOT alot of my time to do. Why you talking about more time efficient than 2 hours :D

To be young with no responsibilities, where 2 hours a day is considered a drop in the bucket for time.

We all have our priorities. The average American spends 34 hours a week watching TV, but scoffs at the idea of having 2 hours in a day for their health.

Finally someone with some sense. Jeez. I havent watched tv in weeks :D

So, someone who isn't dedicating two hours to exercise every day is just watching t.v. and has jacked up priorities?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,628 Member
    I think it's a great idea, we all need to indulge sometime & this is a good way to do it. I really enjoy walking & being outside too
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I just have trouble grasping the idea that walking 10-15 miles on occasion is somehow "over exercising".

I didn't really think that was the argument being made.

But who knows, this is a weird thread.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Awesome post @amusedmonkey . I particularly agree with contracting an eating disorder. I am 100% positive that eating disorders, orthorexia, exercise bulimia etc etc is not in my dna! I would have noticed a hint of these things in the past 45 years..
    I enjoy eating and I enjoy exercise, it's a win win for me.
    When i say exercise, i walk a lot and that's it, nothing severe or punishing.
  • As a contrast to OP's controversial forward-planning approach, I offer my dinner today, when I whimsically bought Krispy Kreme doughnuts and then made pizza with giant hot dogs on it. I had done none of OP's advance planning and walked maybe 2 miles today, so all I can do now is look sadly at my weekly averages and wish that I, too, had walked 15 miles this morning.

I blame this thread.

Well the blame more aptly lies on the people saying dont do it, since clearly OP plans in advance for such feasts, and you could have benefited as well. Rather looks like you are proof not planning the exercise increase doesnt help, like most of us most of the time, and exactly how we got to the point of needing to lose weight :smile:

I am thinking of hiking this evening to fit in another extra large pizza...if its not snowing too much that is...luckily MFP recording is all about balancing your energy intake with your expenditures, which is exactly what this is.
  • cwolfman13
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'll also add that there are people who are on their feet and walking all day long ... my husband is one of them. He has a physically active job. A number of years ago, I worked part-time for the post office, and walked for about 6 hours a day for 2 days a week as part of my job. And I was only part time ... there were others who did that 5 days a week.

I just have trouble grasping the idea that walking 10-15 miles on occasion is somehow "over exercising".

I don't think anyone is really saying that...
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    This is a topic that is a bit of a pet peeve for me, and I see several ideas circulating both on the forums and in real. I exercise mainly for the calories. My step count is not as high due to injuries and issues, but one of the main reasons I do more that what is "adequate for health" is because I like eating more. I haven't read the whole thread, but here are a few thoughts that kinda bother me:

- No, I'm not going to develop an eating disorder. You don't contract eating disorders like a contagious disease. You need to be predisposed and have a certain mental state to develop one. I don't believe I possess that sort of mental state. When I exercise extra, I do it because I believe a decently sized portion of real lasagna with real béchamel is worth the extra 1 hour walk when I've already done my "official" cardio for the day. I'm not any more disordered than someone who opts for a lightened up version or eats 2-3 spoonfuls and calls it a day. For weight loss people need to make certain sacrifices, and time is what I'd often choose if I physically could.

- No, I won't fall apart if at some point I lost the ability to maintain my exercise level. I would just eat less. In fact I go through weeks at a time where the most I can do is shuffle to the bathroom and back to bed. When someone loses a secondary source of income they make do. I do too with my calories. The principle is the same, except I get to indulge more when I'm more active.

- Yes, exercise improves fitness, and no, that doesn't need to be my default number one goal. There is this widespread belief that people who exercise for any other reason than fitness or strength gains are some sort of second class citizens. Any goal a person has is valid. Those who lift to look good are by no means lesser humans than those who lift to gain strength, and those who run because they like the calories are by no means lower class than those who do it to try and beat a personal best. I do resistance training because I need the strength for running with lower risk of injury and have little interest in much else strength-wise, and I do running because I like the calories. That I happen to enjoy running is just a plus, just like the calorie burn is a plus for a fitness-oriented individual.

- No, I won't damage my joints by having a 1 hour walk on top of my other cardio when I'm planning for a larger meal. I know my body and its limits. If I didn't, I would have happily opted for a 3 hour walk every single day, and yes I get to decide how to manage my time and what is worth doing for long hours and what would interfer with my responsibilities and what would't.

I totally agree. I constantly see these posts suggesting that my calorie intake is too low at 1200, but as a 5'2 woman, that only gives me one pound a week...nothing crazy. So then I work out so I can eat what I consider a reasonable amount and I'm burned for doing that too.

Can't win for losing.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I love to exercise and if I had my way I would be doing it several times a day, although I have to be careful. I struggled with an eating disorder in my past, I would run on average 70-90 miles a week and at most consume 2,000 calories a day. Needless to say my body shut down and I was unable to do any sort of exercise for over a year. Exercising to eat more is a huge trigger for me, I just want to push myself more and more until I burn out thinking the more I burn the more I can eat. So for me I have to stick to moderation with both eating & exercise.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    all i wanna know is where people are finding these thin crust pizza's at the store for under 800 calories LOL cause thin crust pizza, store brand here is still almost 400 calories for 1/5th the pizza... and who the hell cuts a pizza into 5ths?!

Dr Oetker Ristorante pizza. 210 calories for 1/4 of the pizza. We cut it in 8ths, and I have three slices plus salad for a tasty low cal pizza dinner.

Yep. I had a whole mushroom on tonight. Worth it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I love to exercise and if I had my way I would be doing it several times a day, although I have to be careful. I struggled with an eating disorder in my past, I would run on average 70-90 miles a week and at most consume 2,000 calories a day. Needless to say my body shut down and I was unable to do any sort of exercise for over a year. Exercising to eat more is a huge trigger for me, I just want to push myself more and more until I burn out thinking the more I burn the more I can eat. So for me I have to stick to moderation with both eating & exercise.

Thanks for this input. I'm not actually surprised that it can be a trigger for some people who are predisposed, just as calorie counting can be a trigger for someone predisposed to anorexia. If you have any thoughts on how to spot if you have a tendency to this kind of problem, I think that would be useful.

The thing that we need to remember is that a behaviour can be perfectly safe for the majority, but unhealthy for those who are predisposed to a certain problem. The solution is not for everyone to avoid it, any more than everyone should avoid gluten because some people have coeliac disease. The important thing is that each person can judge if it is healthy for them or not.

I have never had an eating disorder, but it seems to me that one of the hallmarks is anxiety, and another would be feeling driven to increase your deficit beyond a moderate level. Like, having a planned deficit of 500 but doing crazy exercise and feeling compelled to leave a thousand or more in the bank. I feel like being driven or compelled is also part of it, rather than calmly choosing to do something. Does that fit with your experience?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    ChelzFit wrote: »

Thanks for this input. I'm not actually surprised that it can be a trigger for some people who are predisposed, just as calorie counting can be a trigger for someone predisposed to anorexia. If you have any thoughts on how to spot if you have a tendency to this kind of problem, I think that would be useful.

The thing that we need to remember is that a behaviour can be perfectly safe for the majority, but unhealthy for those who are predisposed to a certain problem. The solution is not for everyone to avoid it, any more than everyone should avoid gluten because some people have coeliac disease. The important thing is that each person can judge if it is healthy for them or not.

I have never had an eating disorder, but it seems to me that one of the hallmarks is anxiety, and another would be feeling driven to increase your deficit beyond a moderate level. Like, having a planned deficit of 500 but doing crazy exercise and feeling compelled to leave a thousand or more in the bank. I feel like being driven or compelled is also part of it, rather than calmly choosing to do something. Does that fit with your experience?

I agree with your reasoning. Sometimes when I go way over calories or have a big food event I would have a fast day. For someone who is predisposed to anorexia that would be the last thing they'll want to do. I just calmly choose, as you put it, to have a quick 500-800 calorie fast day as a management tool. It's just a tool similar to eating slightly less and banking calories but instead of dragging it all week I do one day and be done with it. No feelings of guilt, anxiety or "punishment", and it has never sent me into a downward spiral of binge/restricting or made me want to achieve the largest possible deficit. In fact I have been slowly and happily losing at a rate that is considered relatively slow for people my size.

Of course those who are predisposed need to watch out for how they use the tools given to them, but there is a difference between "trigger" and "cause". By definition, a trigger activates pre-existing tendencies. If these tendencies do not exist in the first place, there is nothing to trigger and the smart use of weight management tools is most likely safe.