IIFYM eating.......really???

Options

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Lost more than 60lbs on IIFYM and TDEE-20%.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It's this magical feeling I get when I know I'll hit my macros and maybe get a PR. Celebrated with glitter and a side of awesome. It's like skinny dipping in a pool and no one yelling at you for it. Wait. What are we talking about?

Skinny dipping. We were talking about skinny dipping.

Oh! Never do it in other people's pools without permission. Unless ninja
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's this magical feeling I get when I know I'll hit my macros and maybe get a PR. Celebrated with glitter and a side of awesome. It's like skinny dipping in a pool and no one yelling at you for it. Wait. What are we talking about?

Ninja is the most fun and you know it.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Quick question about fats. I go over on them a lot. I'm under on carbs, close on protein but seem to go over on fats. My fats usually come from nuts, eggs, low fat dairy. How bad is it to be over?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Quick question about fats. I go over on them a lot. I'm under on carbs, close on protein but seem to go over on fats. My fats usually come from nuts, eggs, low fat dairy. How bad is it to be over?

Fat and protein targets should be treated as minimum. You can realistically go as high as you want on those. Carbs just make up the rest.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Note to self: Work on ninja skills to execute properly.
    My ninja status is currently at walrus. If that clues you in on my stealth level. "Look mom, it's doing tricks! "
  • jonnythan
    Options

My ninja status is currently at walrus. If that clues you in on my stealth level. "Look mom, it's doing tricks! "

Mine is approximately "happy Labrador retriever." If you don't notice a ninja at this level, don't worry. He'll lick your face to make sure you notice him.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Mine is approximately "happy Labrador retriever." If you don't notice a ninja at this level, don't worry. He'll lick your face to make sure you notice him.
    Aaw, your mental image was totes better than mine. I have tusks and whiskers :( Flops on dry land. *Seal clap*
  • tracieangeletti
    Options

Fat and protein targets should be treated as minimum. You can realistically go as high as you want on those. Carbs just make up the rest.

So glad to hear that!! I'm on the right track then. This is new to me but I think this may be the only way for me to be successful long term. I just can't do restrictive diets anymore. Too stressful to maintain and I usually end up going on epic binges. Life needs cookies and bacon. Lots of bacon. :smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    okay just to clarify I read the whole IIFYM page and the theory etc. I read all the FAQ I get it. I understand the idea. But if they are correct then the number of calories I should be hitting is like 2500. I am a mom of 4 so I am busy and on my feet most of the day. I don't do much exercising other then walking 3 miles a day at a brisk pace. So doesn't that TDEE seem really really high?

Try it, track accurately and consistently, hit your targets, and evaluate your progress after 4-6 weeks. Adjust accordingly.

This is the approach most everyone who is successful at this have to go through...because accidentally hitting exactly the right calorie target in the beginning is rare...and even if you get that exactly right, it changes as you make progress towards your goal...

...and I'd much rather see you starting too high and needing to adjust downward a little than starting a too low. More wiggle room for proper nutrition and generally greater energy for your life.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

So glad to hear that!! I'm on the right track then. This is new to me but I think this may be the only way for me to be successful long term. I just can't do restrictive diets anymore. To stressful to maintain and I usually end up going on epic binges. Life needs cookies and bacon. Lots of bacon. :smile:

I like you. Add ice cream and we can be fwiends! ;p
  • tracieangeletti
    Options

So glad to hear that!! I'm on the right track then. This is new to me but I think this may be the only way for me to be successful long term. I just can't do restrictive diets anymore. To stressful to maintain and I usually end up going on epic binges. Life needs cookies and bacon. Lots of bacon. :smile:

I have some in the freezer!! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

I have some in the freezer!! :flowerforyou:

Yay! ! ...Top wif bacooooon!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.
    Does it really work for you?

Hmmm....it gave you 5000 calories? That's astronomical! :laugh:

Seriously, the old school method of eating like a bird is....old school. Eat to fuel your body. Exercise and get plenty of protein to improve your body composition. I eat 2500 to maintain and 2000-2200 to lose.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The number of calories IIFYM gave me makes sense to me, but the way it has my macros set seems a little nuts. 44 carbs a day? I currently have MFP set at 40/30/30 and I get about three times that many carbs, and have a hard time not going over. No way I can eat 44 carbs a day. That can't be right, can it? That's the recommended IIFYM program, not the low carb.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The number of calories IIFYM gave me makes sense to me, but the way it has my macros set seems a little nuts. 44 carbs a day? I currently have MFP set at 40/30/30 and I get about three times that many carbs, and have a hard time not going over. No way I can eat 44 carbs a day. That can't be right, can it? That's the recommended IIFYM program, not the low carb.

44g carbs? What is it giving you for protein and fat?
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    I focus mainly on macros. High protein, medium fat, low carbs. This has worked awesome for me. Plus I find I eat much healthier this way, as well.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    lol!

I didn't even know it was a philosophy that was followed.

I took it like any macronutrient calculator and adjusted protein to .9 x weight and basically set my macros 40c/35p/25f. Been doing fine losing. lol

I just liked the calculator better than Scooby due to Scooby only allowing an average of 40 grams of fat. I thought that was too low.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

165 protein and 66 fat.
  • jonnythan
    Options

165 protein and 66 fat.

That's too much of each. You're 165 lbs? It should be 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass, not total mass. A more reasonable protein goal is more like 110, 120 grams depend on body fat.

And fat is a little high but not too bad. You want a minimum of 0.3 to 0.35 grams per lb of weight, which means at least 50-55 grams a day.